No announcement yet.

Olympic women's hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As last night's Bronze medal game wore on I found myself slowly rooting more and more for the Russians. I think it's because they were so clearly the underdog team that I couldn't help myself. They started the game playing so poorly it was almost pathetic. They so infrequently put more than one pass in a row together that it was very difficult to watch, but then slowly it seemed like Finland was just trying to protect their 3-1 lead. Once team Russia scored their second goal they suddenly became a different team, one that could actually compete and the rest of the game becane very fun to watch. I was hoping they'd find a way to tie the game up but unfortunately for them it wasn't meant to be.

On a related note, did anybody else think the Russian coach looked baffled every time the camera was on him throughout the tournament? That's just the impression I got by the expression on his face when he was on camera. Not pulling his goalie sooner in last night's game might confirm his possible constant state of confusion.

On an different note, I think Noora Räty might have generally jinxed herself for these Olympics by predicting that no Gophers would score on her. She was not the same legendary goalie as previously. She seemed to be fighting the puck in these Olympics more so than in the past. I would like to have seen Finland's second string goalie get some action between the pipes.
    Last edited by shelfit; 02-21-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• Re: Olympic women's hockey

Great Bronze Medal Game last night (early this morning).

But what an absolutely stupid penalty by the Russian player (don't know who it was) to immediately lose the man advantage that they had just gotten with about 5 minutes or so left in the game when they were down by one goal!

Brainless.

And any theories about why the Russian coach (he sure looks extremely tightly wound doesn't he?) didn't pull Morozova for the extra attacker in the last couple of minutes of the game. Was he just lacking confidence in his team's ability to keep the puck in the offensive end until they either scored or the game ended?

And does anyone know what "ova" means at the end of the Russian surnames?

Maybe Lisa can tell us...but she 's probably taking the loss hard...she's conspicuous by her absence.

So, again, where were these OAF in the semi final? From what I've seen they mysteriously took one game off.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        On a related note, did anybody else think the Russian coach looked baffled every time the camera was on him throughout the tournament? That's just the impression I got by the expression on his face when he was on camera. Not pulling his goalie sooner in last night's game might confirm his possible constant state of confusion.

On an unrelated note, I think Noora Räty might have generally jinxed herself for this Olympics by predicting that no Gophers would score on her. She was not the same legendary goalie as previously. She seemed to be fighting the puck in these Olympics more so than in the past. I would like to have seen Finland's second string goalie get some action between the pipes.
        Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing...he always seemed to look confused and/or ready to explode at any moment.

And, with all due respect to Raty, she looked very ordinary throughout this tournament. Yes, some of the goals that were scored on her were ones that I think most would agree she had virtually no chance to stop. But wasn't that how she gained her reputation?...by being sensational and stopping lots of those types of shots? I too was hoping to see the other goalie in action.

Comment

• I'm very much looking forward to tonight's gold medal tilt. I'm hoping for a great game that will come right down to the end once again.

Will the OAS (Olympic Athletes of Stauber) finally recapture Gold for the first time in 20 years?

Will the Stauberfied systems of the US actually work and pay off in the most important game of the Olympics?

Will the Canadians be outshot, outskated, and generally outworked, but still find a way to win Gold.....again?

Will Erika Lawler's head explode if team USA doesn't win tonight?

Will Tessa Bonhonme fall out of her chair while she laughs uncontrollably if the above happens?

Tune in everyone! It should be very exciting! The hockey I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
            Which version of Big Papi? The legendary Boston slugger, or the singles-hitting Twins DH?
            Singles hitter? I'll let Big Papi answer that. He said, "I hit 20 (in 2002 with the Twins) and knocked in 75 in 400 at-bats. Imagine if you give me 500-550 at bats what that might lead to. I knew I was good. I knew I was a stud as a hitter, but I just couldn't prove it until I got the chance to play every day in Boston." The Twins made the second worst baseball move in the history of the game and both decisions involved the Red Sox.

My wife said, "In no way do I mean to trivialize what happened in Boston, but I would want the Big Papi that rallied the citizens after the bombings."
            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-21-2018, 03:32 PM. Reason: No more baseball talk here, I promise.
            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              I'm very much looking forward to tonight's gold medal tilt. I'm hoping for a great game that will come right down to the end once again.

Will the OAS (Olympic Athletes of Stauber) finally recapture Gold for the first time in 20 years?

Will the Stauberfied systems of the US actually work and pay off in the most important game of the Olympics?

Will the Canadians be outshot, outskated, and generally outworked, but still find a way to win Gold.....again?

Will Erika Lawler's head explode if team USA doesn't win tonight?

Will Tessa Bonhonme fall out of her chair while she laughs uncontrollably if the above happens?

Tune in everyone! It should be very exciting! The hockey I mean.
              Five big "yes's" to the above! I can hardly wait!

Comment

In case you were wondering, Nicole and I talk about the gold medal game in today's Wednesday Women: http://www.uscho.com/2018/02/21/wedn...season-begins/
                "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  The "-ov" ending means "of," though it also has connotations of paternity; it's related to the suffix that goes on the patronymic, like "Ivanovich" that Russians typically have as their middle name. In this way, it is a lot like the "-son" ending of many English last names, like Jackson.

"-ova" is just the female equivalent. Almost all Russian last named are gendered, with the female form adding an "-a" at the end. This is why it so annoys me that Marvel Comics, and the spinoff movies, gave Black Widow the last name "Romanov"; it's grammatically incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                    The "-ov" ending means "of," though it also has connotations of paternity; it's related to the suffix that goes on the patronymic, like "Ivanovich" that Russians typically have as their middle name. In this way, it is a lot like the "-son" ending of many English last names, like Jackson.

"-ova" is just the female equivalent. Almost all Russian last named are gendered, with the female form adding an "-a" at the end. This is why it so annoys me that Marvel Comics, and the spinoff movies, gave Black Widow the last name "Romanov"; it's grammatically incorrect.
                    Thanks for the explanation Eeyore.

As you mentioned, I was thinking that it must be similar to the English "son" but for some reason the assignment of gender in the names didn't occur to me. Must be a function of thinking in English which is one of the few if not the only language that doesn't specifically assign gender to most situations...which is one of the reasons it is the most difficult second language to learn. I even read years ago that it is the most difficult first language to learn a lot of which has to do with the fact that there are so many exceptions to the rules.

And, what's with the "Still"?

Comment

And, what's with the "Still"?
                      Every 180 days, I get a message from USCHO that my password has expired. When I try to change it, the system refuses to accept the old password, so I can't log in. I click on the link asking them to have my old password emailed to me, but I never get an email. Then I send a message to the support team about the problem. This time, I never heard back from them. So, I had to go to a different computer and create a new account using a different email address and a new user name. Hence, "Still Eeyore."

USCHO is run by clowns.

Comment

Great Bronze Medal Game last night (early this morning).

But what an absolutely stupid penalty by the Russian player (don't know who it was) to immediately lose the man advantage that they had just gotten with about 5 minutes or so left in the game when they were down by one goal!

Brainless.

And any theories about why the Russian coach (he sure looks extremely tightly wound doesn't he?) didn't pull Morozova for the extra attacker in the last couple of minutes of the game. Was he just lacking confidence in his team's ability to keep the puck in the offensive end until they either scored or the game ended?

Maybe Lisa can tell us...but she 's probably taking the loss hard...she's conspicuous by her absence.

So, again, where were these OAF in the semi final? From what I've seen they mysteriously took one game off.
                        Eh I'm not taking it hard. 4th is the best placement of Russia EVER, and with such a young team it's awesome to have been a goal away from medaling. Future is bright for Russian women's hockey as long as they don't **** it up, between this result and the incoming expansion to the domestic league...the only players from this group that likely won't be in the pool four years from now are Alexandrova and Tkachyova.

As Eeyore said, -ova is the feminine form of -ov, which means "of" (-ov is the ending for plural nouns in the genitive case, whereas -ova is only for names, AFAIK).

As for the semi...they were pretty good in the first...less good in the second...and then just ran out of gas. Chistyakov only ran 3 lines against the big teams since the 4th line was usually three teenagers.
                        https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
                        https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                        NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                        Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                          Every 180 days, I get a message from USCHO that my password has expired. When I try to change it, the system refuses to accept the old password, so I can't log in. I click on the link asking them to have my old password emailed to me, but I never get an email. Then I send a message to the support team about the problem. This time, I never heard back from them. So, I had to go to a different computer and create a new account using a different email address and a new user name. Hence, "Still Eeyore."

USCHO is run by clowns.
                          Go back in now and change back to your old password if you wish...works for me every time (although I appreciate that there was more to what you experienced, as you explained).

Comment

I am definitely starting to feel HYPE.

I hope we launch Canada into the sun.
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

58 minutes and counting !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                                I hope we launch Canada into the sun.
                                That would be unkind. Proxima Centauri b would be okay though.
                                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Working...
                                X