Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympic women's hockey

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Yeah, but Finland cannot take Rigsby, Rooney or Szabados any day. And that's the real problem.

Finland is getting better and better, but do they have a succession plan for Raty? If not, they will regress.
    Having watched them in international competition for 12 years I am not seeing the sort of progress you suggest. But you are correct, they have piled everything on Noora's shoulders. When she hangs 'em up I have no idea what they have in reserve.

Comment

So the championship game is set between the two teams we all expected. No surprise there. Let's just hope that the officiating does not overshadow or undermine the game itself. The best we can hope for is that the officiating is a non-factor in the outcome of the game. Good luck to both teams. Let's hope for great and entertaining hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Good luck to both teams.
        Good luck to exactly one of the teams
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          Good luck to exactly one of the teams
          Good skill to the other team?! I really meant good luck to both teams with regard to the officiating. We have two highly prepared and highly trained teams ready to go, but we have officials who are getting on-the-job-training. Not a great scenario for the Olympic gold medal game.
          Last edited by shelfit; 02-19-2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            It's a shame Räty does not have a better team around her
            But she did...she had a tremendous team in front of her until the start of this game. They were the complete opposite in this game of what they were in their first game vs OAUS, and their games vs OAC, vs OAR and vs OAS.

They have had some strong teams in years past but I have never seen one even close to this one...thrilling to watch. Fast and aggressive...not intimidated...and talented. An actual 3 team race I was thinking. Their first game vs OAUS could have gone either way regardless of the OAUS dominating long stretches of possession with their new cycling strategy. And then the complete opposite team showed up yesterday. I found it rather shocking...what happened to them? I was looking forward to another tremendous game but it was a lay down...like I mentioned, they were already on the plane halfway back to Helsinki before the first puck drop last night. The reason?...could be a number of things but if it was just mental then they let themselves and their country down. Like Cassie Campbell mentioned during the game...there was lots of quit in that team last night. Hugely disappointing.

And apart from D2D's and my mentioning it briefly after the first game no one else here has commented on the quick disappearance of that cycling strategy that the articles describing Stauber's thinking process explained was the result of lots of deep thinking. Kind of mention/discussion worthy that it just evaporated it seems to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
              “It's a shame Räty does not have a better team around her”

I think Räty has had her time but now believe that she is overrated. I would take Rigsby, Rooney or Szabados ahead of her any day. I get that she is not blessed with having a powerhouse team play in front of her but she has not been very good when I have watched her play the past few years.
              Interesting comment that Cassie Campbell made last night (or was it Cheryl Pounder?) that went something like this "the US has a secret weapon in this game and that is that Rooney was training with Raty last summer and I'm sure that she has pointed a few things out to the US coaching staff and her team mates".

Looked like they were constantly going 2 hole on Raty...and converting.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                And apart from D2D's and my mentioning it briefly after the first game no one else here has commented on the quick disappearance of that cycling strategy that the articles describing Stauber's thinking process explained was the result of lots of deep thinking. Kind of mention/discussion worthy that it just evaporated it seems to me.
                Yea it’s worth a mention, glad it’s been noted here.

It’ll be interesting to hear if it gets any mention in the press, from Stauber and athletes post gold medal game regardless of the outcome.

Who does everyone thing will win gold? Any strong feelings or do most think it’s a coin toss?

I have no idea. On the one hand I think Canada is asking too much of its goalie, on the other hand the USA can’t seem to win Olympic gold medal games.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
                  a high stick from Lacquette was not called and was only brought to their attention when the player was hurt, and still no penalty.
                  That could have had a disastrous ending. She should have been sent to the box.

And although it was impossible to tell if it was deliberate or just the end of the motion of the stick coming to rest with Lacquette only having one hand on the stick, the replay showed that when Lacquette's blade made contact with the Russian player's throat the blade moved back and forth once or twice as if it was possibly making a point. If it was deliberate she deserves to be handcuffed to Duggan and placed in the solitary with her for a month. If it wasn't her doing...then be a lot more careful with your stick.

Re: Duggan: after last night it struck me that maybe what she needs is a mandatory meeting with Engstrom for an attitude adjustment refresher with several monthly follow ups just to make sure that the treatment is working and that she hasn't fallen off the wagon.
                  Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-19-2018, 09:27 PM. Reason: Russian player's (not US player) after seeing Chaffron's correction in the next post.

Comment

That could have had a disastrous ending. She should have been sent to the box.

And although it was impossible to tell if it was deliberate or just the end of the motion of the stick coming to rest with Lacquette only having one hand on the stick, the replay showed that when Lacquette's blade made contact with the US player's throat the blade moved back and forth once or twice as if it was possibly making a point. If it was deliberate she deserves to be handcuffed to Duggan and placed in the solitary with her for a month. If it wasn't her doing...then be a lot more careful with your stick.
                    lacquette's stick was continually poking and making contact with the russia player's throat several times, like not just once for a duration of a millisecond. That is why the refs are so stupid to have "failed" to see anything.

Re: Duggan: after last night it struck me that maybe what she needs is a mandatory meeting with Engstrom for an attitude adjustment refresher with several monthly follow ups just to make sure that the treatment is working and that she hasn't fallen off the wagon.
                    Gillian Apps too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
                      Gillian Apps too.
                      Sounds familiar but can't recall the details. Was that in Sochi?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        I guarantee that a male referee would have called that obvious knee to knee contact because they are used to looking for the cheap shots and body contact involved in men's hockey. The female referee that was staring right at the play as it happened wasn't expecting it, wasn't looking for it, wasn't used to it.
                        I'd be a lot less skeptical of your claim if the NHL crew of between periods idiots hadn't gone on at length about how it should have been two minutes for tripping and wasn't at all a dirty play. The men that make you so rapturous wouldn't have been much better. The earlier major penalty that the U.S. got away with, Decker's check from behind, only drew two minutes, which is a call that the male referees in the WCHA refuse to make correctly with every bit as much stubbornness.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                          On the one hand I think Canada is asking too much of its goalie, on the other hand the USA can’t seem to win Olympic gold medal games.
                          The US has psyched themselves into loosing with the insane amount of media coverage about the loss last time. Canada has already won and you don't know it.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

like I mentioned, they were already on the plane halfway back to Helsinki before the first puck drop last night.
                            Yeah, but once they made the semifinals, they still had a bronze medal game at the very least. So, no saving on early return airfare. :-)

When they abandoned this strategy in the Canadian game and outshot Canada by a two-to-one margin, I immediately thought, was this whole cycle thing a big head fake?
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              The US has psyched themselves into loosing with the insane amount of media coverage about the loss last time. Canada has already won and you don't know it.
                              Ha. I honestly have no idea. When the game starts I always deeply want Canada to win. But I love storylines, and to watch USA break the drought would be cool especially after the fight for equity.

I read a Hilary Knight quote yesterday where she said the pressure is on Canada to win, not the USA. Right. But then she went in to give a really sweet quote about how she didn’t know how much she loved hockey, until the Sochi loss.

I hope the game tomorrow can live up to the hype. I am sooo excited and I think I will probably cry for both the winners and losers, hahah.

Comment

Raty: “Every (American) girl can shoot now”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/s...ns-hockey.html

And, another dream team on ice:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/s...e-skating.html

Comment

Working...
                                X