Olympic women's hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic women's hockey

I'm kinda in shock right now but...man, was the US good in the 4 on 4 overtime.

Happy for USA hockey...Lots of hard work pays off.
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-22-2018, 01:29 AM.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Mark Kennedy retire *****
      https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
      https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
      NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
      Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

many many things can be pointed out to team canada's inevitable loss. Spooner in shootout (w.t.f. moment from Schuler), Jenner's surprisingly failed signature backhand shootout attempt, but most of all.... that brutal line change in the 3rd giving lamoureux the breakaway to score. This happened in the last game! They did not learn from this.

Lacasse in shootout > Szabados in shootout. Lacasse looks angry and devastated.

team canada women's GM should be in consideration for being fired now.

Comment

Hate that it had to be in a shootout, but wow was that fun to watch, and based on how they played in OT, the US certainly deserved to win.

Comment

congrats to team USA!

Laura Schuler must now hear the USA anthem twice, 20 years after her own gold medal loss.

will this result now do away with the all-female alumni coaching staff that will be purportedly implemented by team canada women at the 2022 Beijing Olympics? Possibly.

Comment

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              WOW, so happy for the gals, about time!

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
                !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                WOW, so happy for the gals, about time!
                Amen. After all the training, the hard work, the mental preparation...in the end it was all worth it a thousand times over.

And looking back a month or two ago, when people were questioning Rob Stauber's qualifications to be head coach, well he certainly proved the naysayers wrong. Maybe his best decision was to go with the inexperienced youngster Maddie Rooney in goal. Great call!

Huge congrats to all the players, and the coaching staff.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Amen. After all the training, the hard work, the mental preparation...in the end it was all worth it a thousand times over.

And looking back a month or two ago, when people were questioning Rob Stauber's qualifications to be head coach, well he certainly proved the naysayers wrong. Maybe his best decision was to go with the inexperienced youngster Maddie Rooney in goal. Great call!

My only posts to my relatives and friends before the game were that Rob keep Maddie in goal and the gals play free and loose. They started smiling on the bench sometime in the second period, and things got a lot better. Something to be learned there, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

I will maintain that the team won in spite of Stauber, not because of him. Starting Rooney was a good call. Most of everything else he did was bordering on sabotage.
                    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Great game. Congratulations to the OAS (Olympic Athletes of Stauber...that was a good one).

Re: some of the preceding posts

Kind of agree about the 4 on 4 in OT. Seemed like most of the period was consumed by one team or the other skating back into their end to retrieve the puck.

If Chaffron was implying that Spooner was a bad choice as a shooter in the shoot out I'd have to strongly disagree. She's got one of the best wrist shots in women's hockey and she's normally deadly on breakaway's. In fact as the game was starting I was hoping that she would get one (a breakaway) sometime during the game. In her last two years for OSU while playing vs UMD she had 5 breakaways on Harss. Result: Spooner 5 - Harss 0. She's got moves. She just lost control of the puck as she got close to Rooney. (But something didn't look right with her tonight as I mentioned earlier...looked exhausted early in the game).

Every four years there are always these conversations about who is now a hero and who should be fired. The last Olympic hockey game Canada lost was the Gold Medal Game in Nagano, Japan (Miller and Shuler...coincidence?) They've won the last 20 in a row until tonight. To think that any coach is a hero or a bum as the result of a game that came down to the last shot in a shoot out that might be determined by a bounce of the puck or having it roll off your stick is ridiculous. Different situation if you win or lose by a decent margin but that's not what happens between these two teams. Neither of these coaches is a bum or a hero and that wouldn't change if Canada had won. But many will persist in perceiving it that way.

Noticed Lacquette not getting shifts in the 3rd period or in OT until late. She doesn't have the speed required at this level. Gigantic blunder by her all alone skating back into Canada's end in the 2nd with lots of time to defend against one skater in the middle of the ice and instead of taking away time and space by getting the angle on her which was easily done in this instance and riding the US player out of the slot and neutralizing the play she did the opposite. Very fortunate it didn't result in a goal.

Didn't recall hearing Duggan's name in OT or in the 3rd for that matter...was that just me or was she not getting many shifts?

Fast impressed me during this tournament.

Canada looked gassed in OT and the US didn't.

Didn't like J-Rock removing her medal as soon as it was placed around her neck...not good optics.

Liked both jerseys...a lot.

All of these payers deserve all our respect for their sacrifices and dedication while they put their lives on hold for years...what they can do out there with their skill level and their speed for an hour at a time under crushing pressure like this is hard to believe.

Liked how Rooney was laughing or smiling during the shoot out. Nervous reaction to the enormous pressure or just having fun and enjoying the moment? Looked like the latter to me.

Looking forward to having her back in a 'Dog jersey in October. Watch out WCHA.
                      Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-22-2018, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
                        I will maintain that the team won in spite of Stauber, not because of him. Most of everything else he did was bordering on sabotage.
                        Can you elaborate?

Comment

no one called laura schuler a "bum" for losing. but it cannot be ignored that under her coaching, the team has been outplayed (sometimes, majorly) in major championships against team USA. lost to ken klee, lost to stauber. In OT, she shortened the bench for the entire 20 mins and all of team canada women looked dead out there. Could not break out of own zone, turnovers, horrible stick handling, and just resorted to dump and chase hockey. This is a great strategy to lose the game and had it not been for Szabados team USA would have won it in OT.

not only that. In late OT, schuler put Lacquette on the ice. Lacquette. Possibly the most w.t.f. decision since electing Spooner in the shootout. After calling a timeout, she puts lacquette out there. Seriously.

the HORRENDOUS line change by team canada women leading to lamoureux's goal was just totally unacceptable. it had happened in the first game against USA. Learned nothing from that.

Spooner looked totally off the entire tournament. She should not have been selected for the shootout. That was the most w.t.f. moment for me and it is on schuler

Comment

I feel happy for and proud of the whole USA team with the way they battled and hung in there throughout the game tonight. But in a strange way I feel happiest for the Lams. I remember their tears of disappointment during the press conference after they lost in 3 overtimes to the Gophers in 2013. They've been criticized a lot on this forum over the years but they both sure came through tonight. Along with Rooney they'd be my 3 stars of the game.

Stauber? I've been critical of him in the past and will never understand why he cut Bozek and Carpenter. But, playing Rooney in goal tonight and switching Marvin from defense to forward seemed to work out at least okay, don't you think?
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-22-2018, 03:25 AM.
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

If Chaffron was implying that Spooner was a bad choice as a shooter in the shoot out I'd have to strongly disagree. She's got one of the best wrist shots in women's hockey and she's normally deadly on breakaway's. She's got moves. She just lost control of the puck as she got close to Rooney. (But something didn't look right with her tonight as I mentioned earlier...looked exhausted early in the game).
                              but she was a bad choice for the shootout. She has looked off the entire tournament. btw she scored 0 goals in the tournament, like decker, who stauber didn't use in the shootout at all. You can talk all you like that she has "wheels for days" but something was wrong with her in this tournament and her fumble in the shootout kind of suggested that, at least to me. Again, falls squarely on schuler.

i have to say, stauber's choice of marvin and pfalzer in the shootout surprised me somewhat.
                              Last edited by Chaffron; 02-22-2018, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

Every four years there are always these conversations about who is now a hero and who should be fired. The last Olympic hockey game Canada lost was the Gold Medal Game in Nagano, Japan (Miller and Shuler...coincidence?) They've won the last 20 in a row until tonight. To think that any coach is a hero or a bum as the result of a game that came down to the last shot in a shoot out that might be determined by a bounce of the puck or having it roll off your stick is ridiculous. Different situation if you win or lose by a decent margin but that's not what happens between these two teams. Neither of these coaches is a bum or a hero and that wouldn't change if Canada had won. But many will persist in perceiving it that way.

no. team canada women didn't just coincidentally lose this game. They lost everything every year since sochi. they basically won nothing this past quadrennial. That is cause for concern that the program is defective in some areas, IMO, in all sorts of areas, that require new leadership.

i think the team canada women's GM should take much of this blame. Sochi was a total fluke and they got cocky and arrogant that the good things they did in the past would continue to work now. nope.

to reiterate, team canada women won nothing this past quadrennial.

in today's game (3rd period+OT) and the first game against usa, team canada women were totally outplayed and outshot. In fact, they were outplayed and outshot majorly throughout this entire quadrennial. this is not just "bad puck luck" or what have you. There is something defective about the program, systems, whatever.
                                Last edited by Chaffron; 02-22-2018, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X