Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic women's hockey

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Sidebar quizz: What important achievement is Red Berenson generally credited with in hockey? And don't cheat by looking it up? Anybody?
    Seven goals in an NHL game.

Comment

"Hillary Knight lived in NH for about 4 minutes, and they are showing clips of her goal, while touting her NH roots."

"This is hilarious..."

Knight attended prep school Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford, Connecticut, and played hockey there for four years. Does that translate into a reason for the TV station to be showing highlights? (Stuff is so close together in the northeast that I'm not sure what kind of audience a given station might have.)

Adding, her UW biography says that her team at Choate were "New England champions", that she was "two-time Boston Globe All-Scholastic Award recipient", and also "earned All-New England honors in field hockey and lacrosse"
      Last edited by robertearle; 02-23-2018, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
        Seven goals in an NHL game.
        I think it was six, but who's counting?

My fault, I should have qualified my question by adding "non scoring" achievement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          I think it was six, but who's counting?

My fault, I should have qualified my question by adding "non scoring" achievement.
          I know he wore a helmet when very few did. I am fighting the urge to look it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
            I know he wore a helmet when very few did. I am fighting the urge to look it up!
            Well, that didn't take long...(even though my qualifying my question narrowed the possibilities). Congratulations! You win the cupie doll!

While I don't think that he was actually the first to wear a helmut he is generally acknowledged as being so and, as such, as having started the movement of NHL players wearing helmuts.

Ultimately, this is arguably a more important achievement than his 6 or 7 goals in one game.

(Which reminds me of a less that pleasant memory from when I was a kid. My best friend, halfway through one hockey season, convinced me to talk to the coach of his team since they "needed" a goalie and I loved playing goal although I hadn't played organized hockey. I did so and "presto" I was their "starter". The game in question was vs a very very good team, which we certainly weren't, and on that team was a very good player whom I sort of knew and he had a hockey talent reputation after having played for a number of years. During that game their team made ours look like pylons...and that's no exaggeration, with the result being that every time they touched the puck it was a breakaway on me (one skater or more) or a two or three on one, if I was lucky, although I don't recall luck as having played a big part in it that day. It was basically the other team against me. Well, I sure got tired of seeing that guy (and all his team mates) bearing down on me with the puck totally unmolested all afternoon...kind of a lonely experience. By the end of the game he had scored 6 goals on me...2 hat tricks. Their score was a lot higher than that (I'm thinking 13) although I can't recall exactly what it was...just that he had scored the most goals. Needless to say we scored zero. I guess there were no mercy rules back then. I chalked it up to having no team in front of me combined with there's only so much you can humanly do no matter how hard you try, no matter how badly you want it, no matter how competitive you are.

Somehow, I've never forgotten that experience.

I very often have occasion to drive by that outdoor rink that was in a school yard but hasn't been there for maybe 30 years or so but when I do I normally don't think about it. Did so last week...looked over at where the rink was...smiled, as a few video clips were flashed up onto my mind's screen of that cold sunny afternoon so long ago...and kept on driving).
            Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-23-2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
              NBC host Tirico told the world that Andover, MN native Maddie Rooney, who was born in Duluth, and plays for UMD, was from Massachussets! Just likely a dumb mistake, doubt he watched the game, ice dancing was probably on the other feed.
              He might also think the only Andover is in MA. But I have to say the NBC team for hockey is the worst I have seen except for the time the B16 Network had two tennis guys doing a hockey game. They do also seem to think the only players come from out East. They had a hard time not crediting a couple from NoDak as well as ignoring a lot of Minnesotans and a Wisconsinite.

Comment

• In DIII we call it Eastern Bias...LOL

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  He might also think the only Andover is in MA. But I have to say the NBC team for hockey is the worst I have seen except for the time the B16 Network had two tennis guys doing a hockey game. They do also seem to think the only players come from out East. They had a hard time not crediting a couple from NoDak as well as ignoring a lot of Minnesotans and a Wisconsinite.
                  I'd thought of the "other Andover" excuse, but it still shows he and the whole hockey broadcast teams' heavy east coast bias. This gold medal was won by the whole team, but us midwesterners led the play, especially in the medal round. Only worse coverage I've seen was the stream from the 2016 Frozen Four, Durham, NH, Gophers vs BC. Announcers continually mis pronunced names, gave players new first names, and seemed to make up facts to fill time. Only to be surpassed by our local Star Tibune lard-*** sports writer Patrick Reusee (don't worry, he's fine with that name!) interviewing Hannah Brandt on the radio and asking her if the team had fun in North Carolina! Wrong Durham, wrong Andover! Goes to show neither Tirico or Reusee watched the game they were commentating on, both looked like the fools that they are.

Comment

• In watching some of the men's Olympic hockey games I find I'm enjoying them more than most of the NHL games I've watched this season. More lively, more intensity, more urgency, and more overall speed and high pace in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
                      You are very wrong about the statement "very few of those girls were actually developed in the Belle Tire program, they were recruited there." This sir is a fact: a core of 12 girls who were all "cuts" from other programs came to BT 3 years ago. That first year together at 16U they took their lumps and were middle of the pack at best. Last year with hard work, chemistry and good coaching they were able to win the National Championship. They have no super-stars that are going to BC, Wisconsin, Clarkson, Colgate or Ohio State, they work hard, run a very disciplined system, have good chemistry and really good coaching. (I am not a coach there so don't go there). This season those 12 are now on the 19U (ranked #5 in the country) and were joined by one HB player, one CYA player and a handful of LC players, why? You'd have to ask them but probably because of the reasons stated above. They may or may not win Nationals this season but the Vigilante's are very good coaches so don't disparage them by saying they didn't develop the BT talent, surely they did and that cannot be denied.
                      I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree... They most definitely were not "cuts" from other programs... They were at tryouts the very first day and remained through the tryouts to the end. I witnessed it! One person came over to the BT program and started stripping girls from other programs (even during the state tournament, which is illegal). I have to give it to you, though, many of the 16U girls last year, yes, had been with the program, but I am struggling to name 12. Sarah Beck, Elana Zingas, Angela Bucci, Kelly Solak, Kenzie Dascenzo, Annalise Andrews, and Anna Segedi (I guess 7 out of 12 isn't bad) are the only ones that went through the "taking their lumps". Annalise Andrews is the ONLY ONE to come from the 14U BT team. The entire 19U team from last year was new with the exception of a late-add goalie that had gone to Colorado. However, the 16U team was a very good team and did work hard for what they ultimately achieved. However, there is no direct feed from their 14U team to the 16U team. They strip the other programs 14U teams, who actually develop their girls.
                      Last edited by DDad16; 02-24-2018, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                        Mentioning Belle Tire, I've been very impressed with Erin McArdle, a former BT player playing significant minutes on the blue line for the 4 time defending D3 champ Cardinals as a freshman. Solid defensive play and she has the 3rd best points per game mark for a freshman defenseman in D3.
                        Erin McCardle, came from CYA to play at Belle Tire for one year at 19U.

Comment

• Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                          Erin McCardle, came from CYA to play at Belle Tire for one year at 19U.
                          Is this still Olympic Women’s Hockey thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                            Is this still Olympic Women’s Hockey thread?
                            Sure. I thought the two defensemen that looked like they didn't belong at the Olympics were Mikkelson for Canada and Stecklein for USA. Not impressive at all and at times even terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              Sure. I thought the two defensemen that looked like they didn't belong at the Olympics were Mikkelson for Canada and Stecklein for USA. Not impressive at all and at times even terrible.
                              It was like a power play for the USA when Mikkelson was on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
                                If you're serious about getting the Lam's pictures up at Ridder, I'll help! Are you at games this weekend? Where to begin needs to be figured out, and we need to find out if J+M would even back the idea. Is there a way to IM each other info without everyone else seeing our info?
                                No way do the Lams belong on the wall at Ridder. Gopher program has to fall a long way before they put someone up who plays one year for the Gophers and then goes someplace else to play their last 3 years.

This is not an anti-Lam statement. I applaud what they did for the UND program. They should be on President Kennedy's tombstone.

The wall is for Gophers and the Lams are not Gophers.

Comment

Working...
                                X