Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic women's hockey

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
    I thought Canada did a much better job of getting stick-on-stick, putting their sticks in lanes, and eliminating USA's time and space throughout the game than USA did.
    In the third period and OT, USA was stripping the puck from Canadian sticks at will.

I mean it went to the final shooter of the shootout. You can't ask for much more than that other than the sudden-death shootout.
    It DID go to the sudden death shootout. Six skaters took a shot.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      Can you elaborate?
      Pretty easy. U.S. wins Worlds, defeats Canada twice, U.S. wins Four Nations, defeats Canada twice. Then Stauber decides somehow the roster isn't "right," calls up more players, gets into all the players' heads, cuts Bozek, Carpenter, and Pankowski, and loses every game to Canada after that. They lost in the round robin, and let's face it, for much of last night's game the U.S. looked slow and tense, like they were playing afraid. Canada outplayed them for most of the game. The only time the U.S. looked like the team from Plymouth was in the four-on-four OT. Stauber has been consistently outcoached since Four Nations.

Even during the shootout, I kept thinking, "Is he TRYING to lose?" No offense to Pfalzer, or Marvin for that matter whose goal was plain luck, but you've got Jocelyne and Monique, Coyne, Pannek, and Skarupa on the bench and you send out a defenseman and a defenseman turned forward to take the shots against Canada?

The only thing Stauber got right is picking the goaltender. Everything else came down to luck. Listening to the commentators last night praise Stauber for sending out JLam last night for the shootout instead of Amanda Kessel or Gigi Marvin made me physically ill. I'm so glad coaches don't get a gold medal, because Stauber doesn't deserve one.
      Last edited by Arafel; 02-22-2018, 10:12 AM.
      "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post

The only thing Stauber got right is picking the goaltender. Everything else came down to luck.
        Rooney was great. No question about it. But I love it when that means 'Stauber got it right'.

We know the decision made, and the outcome it led to. But that decision and outcome says ZERO about what the outcome would have been if a different decision had been made. Was Szabados then the 'wrong' choice? What would the final score have been if it had been Lacasse vs Rooney? Lacasse vs Hensley? Etc, etc

We know the decision made, and the outcome it led to. That tells us nothing at all about what the outcome would have been if a different decision had been made.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          Rooney was great. No question about it. But I love it when that means 'Stauber got it right'.

We know the decision made, and the outcome it led to. But that decision and outcome says ZERO about what the outcome would have been if a different decision had been made. Was Szabados then the 'wrong' choice? What would the final score have been if it had been Lacasse vs Rooney? Lacasse vs Hensley? Etc, etc

We know the decision made, and the outcome it led to. That tells us nothing at all about what the outcome would have been if a different decision had been made.
          That's a very good point. You never know how Alex Rigsby or Nicole Hensley would have played instead. Hensley was a wall during the Worlds in Plymouth. Rigsby has a history of playing well in big games.
          "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

Comment

Whisky...Tango...Foxtrot. Team USA won gold and yet we have all this Stauber this...Stauber that crap.

You don't like him that's fine but like was said before. Nothing else matters except winning the gold. Which happened with him at the helm. Deal with it.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              Whisky...Tango...Foxtrot. Team USA won gold and yet we have all this Stauber this...Stauber that crap.

You don't like him that's fine but like was said before. Nothing else matters except winning the gold. Which happened with him at the helm. Deal with it.
              Exactly.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

What is wrong with saying that the U.S. won in spite of Stauber, not because of him? I'm proud that the women were able to overcome their idiot of a coach, but it doesn't change anything.

Comment

'Let's not argue and bicker about who killed who'
                  --Monty Python and the Holy Grail

There should be a rule somewhere that second-guessing the gold-medal coach doesn't commence for 24 hours. The only set of system, player, and game decisions that we are certain will end up with a gold medal are the ones Stauber actually made.

Comment

A one game victory would not normally signal a significant overhaul is needed, but unfortunately for Canada this was way more significant than a one game loss.

The US has been the dominate team going on 8 years now, but just never has enjoyed the puck luck to capture the ultimate prize. Canada always gives it 100% and has been gifted with unbelievable goal tending that has masked their deficiencies. The US is simply more talented ...... and Canada has some catching up to do.

I realise it is easy to cry for wholesale changes but I believe that is what is needed. Mel Davidson and Hockey Canada simply put way way too much pressure on their players with their extensive centralisation and player control. It is over-coaching at its finest. And player selection is extremely questionable..... I can think of at least 6 players that would have been much better selections..... more talent, speed, size and a history of winning big games.

Alas though my pleas will inevitably fall on deaf ears, and the status quo will prevail, and I fear with even greater entrenchment.

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
                      What is wrong with saying that the U.S. won in spite of Stauber, not because of him? I'm proud that the women were able to overcome their idiot of a coach, but it doesn't change anything.
                      Nothing...as long as it fits YOUR narrative...
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by dennismaruk77 View Post
                        A one game victory would not normally signal a significant overhaul is needed, but unfortunately for Canada this was way more significant than a one game loss.

The US has been the dominate team going on 8 years now, but just never has enjoyed the puck luck to capture the ultimate prize. Canada always gives it 100% and has been gifted with unbelievable goal tending that has masked their deficiencies. The US is simply more talented ...... and Canada has some catching up to do.

I realise it is easy to cry for wholesale changes but I believe that is what is needed. Mel Davidson and Hockey Canada simply put way way too much pressure on their players with their extensive centralisation and player control. It is over-coaching at its finest. And player selection is extremely questionable..... I can think of at least 6 players that would have been much better selections..... more talent, speed, size and a history of winning big games.

Alas though my pleas will inevitably fall on deaf ears, and the status quo will prevail, and I fear with even greater entrenchment.
                        can you spell W-A-T-T-S? I don't remember who it was but a player came down the right side and shot with the whole far top corner open...save. Watts would have buried that one.
                        another thought, how do kids get experience if they aren't given a chance? a certain goalie #35 comes to mind. get the chance and finish with gold.

can you spell W-A-T-T-S?

not even a sniff...no u22? there are some problems up north. fur sure!

Comment

Fun facts:

OCt. 22- US 5, Canada 2
                          Oct. 25 - Canada 5, U.S. 1
                          Nov. 7 - U.S. 4, Canada 2
                          Nov. 8: U.S. 5, Canada 1

Stauber thinks, hey, that's not good enough, let's screw with the roster.

U.S. loses 5 straight to Canada through the round robin, scoring only four goals in those five games.

How else would you call it? Seriously, I want to know. This would NEVER have happened with the men's team. Stauber got lucky. He still should be fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet Riot View Post
                            can you spell W-A-T-T-S? I don't remember who it was but a player came down the right side and shot with the whole far top corner open...save. Watts would have buried that one.
                            another thought, how do kids get experience if they aren't given a chance? a certain goalie #35 comes to mind. get the chance and finish with gold.

can you spell W-A-T-T-S?

not even a sniff...no u22? there are some problems up north. fur sure!
                            WATT is Team Canada thinking?

Watts has significantly more points in her freshman year than Poulin scored in any of her years. Watts even did it at a younger age. Sometimes you just have to shake your head and enjoy the silver.

Comment

The headline in the Pioneer Press sports page today: PARTY LIKE IT'S 1998.

I sincerely hope that when the next NCAA championship or Olympic games are broadcast there is someone other than A J Mieczko providing the analysis. She was irritatingly awful. Gigi Marvin might be an excellent replacement. I also hope that whoever broadcasts the Olympic women's hockey games in 4 years show as many flashbacks of a crying captain Poulin as they did of captain Duggan last night from 4 years ago.
                              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM. Reason: who or whom?
                              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                                I sincerely hope that when the next NCAA championship or Olympic games are broadcast there is someone other than A J Mieczko providing the analysis. She was irritatingly awful.
                                If I heard correctly last night (and I'm pretty sure I did), AJ is getting a try-out as an 'expert' commentator on some NBC broadcasts of NHL games this spring!

Comment

Working...
                                X