• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic women's hockey

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
    'Let's not argue and bicker about who killed who'
    --Monty Python and the Holy Grail

There should be a rule somewhere that second-guessing the gold-medal coach doesn't commence for 24 hours. The only set of system, player, and game decisions that we are certain will end up with a gold medal are the ones Stauber actually made.
    Just wait until the off season. This is arguing and bickering pre-season. And it's barely started!
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
      If this game had been shown live, prime time in the USA, with all the attendant background hype, it would have been a millennials’ miracle on ice. No need to change a thing. But little obstacles like producers, sponsors and time zones interfere. More of same in Beijing.
      Which is one of the reasons the NHL didn't want to bother...

Miracles imply upsets. USA was the favorites going in.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Which is one of the reasons the NHL didn't want to bother...

But they'll probably bother for Beijing. Money counts.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          But they'll probably bother for Beijing. Money counts.
          I said one of the reasons. And I was the one who told you why they will probably consider Beijing.
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
            This is the sad reality that this game will have very little impact on womens hockey overall. Really, they couldn't have picked a worse olympics to win gold from the "have an impact on the sport" perspective. The game didn't finish until about 2am eastern, and was shown on NBCSN, that alone severely limits the potential of eyeballs.

The good news: NBC says the game was the most watched late night broadcast in NBCSN History, so it had at least 2 million viewers (Best I can find, the previous record for NBCSN was an NHL playoff game that had 1.9M viewers). That also means for the second consecutive olympics, the Womens Gold Medal game will almost certainly be the most watched hockey game of the Olympics in the US, outperforming any mens game.

The bad news: That will still be less than half of the nearly 5 million people who watched the womens gold medal game in Sochi - which was show in the middle of the afternoon on NBC's main channel.

Of course, the exposure and publicity from the win can only help fuel the continued growth of the sport, but realistically, there just weren't enough people watching for this one game to have been a significant turning point moment that causes any major boost in interest outside of the Olympics.
            I will disagree without benefit of my crystal ball, based on my experience in the last 24 hours in my real world environment. The USA win has been on our local (and pretty much the only) news station not just during Sports, but as a lead. Hillary Knight lived in NH for about 4 minutes, and they are showing clips of her goal, while touting her NH roots. Then on to Kacey Bellamy, who played her college hockey in NH, and show the clip where the medal is placed on her neck.
            My boss watched the rebroadcast (he's a very, very lukewarm hockey fan), and sought me out to tell me it was the best game he's ever seen, and that even knowing the result beforehand, was on the edge of his seat. The '98 game was on at a very inconvenient time too, and was broadcast as a part of, and during the Today show, while a lot of adults were at work, and kids in school.
            I had a dentist appointment yesterday, and the rebroadcast was on in the waiting area. Word gets out, and winning the way they did, and with that flashy move and save to end the game and provide the highlight reel victory echoes.
            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

• Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
              I will disagree without benefit of my crystal ball, based on my experience in the last 24 hours in my real world environment. The USA win has been on our local (and pretty much the only) news station not just during Sports, but as a lead. Hillary Knight lived in NH for about 4 minutes, and they are showing clips of her goal, while touting her NH roots. Then on to Kacey Bellamy, who played her college hockey in NH, and show the clip where the medal is placed on her neck.
              My boss watched the rebroadcast (he's a very, very lukewarm hockey fan), and sought me out to tell me it was the best game he's ever seen, and that even knowing the result beforehand, was on the edge of his seat. The '98 game was on at a very inconvenient time too, and was broadcast as a part of, and during the Today show, while a lot of adults were at work, and kids in school.
              I had a dentist appointment yesterday, and the rebroadcast was on in the waiting area. Word gets out, and winning the way they did, and with that flashy move and save to end the game and provide the highlight reel victory echoes.
              This makes me so happy. Bring on the bump. Maybe I am saying this bc it’s what I want to see but I think there will be a bump. My husband told me even his football talk radio was talking about it yesterday. USA Hockey needs to fulfill their end of the bargain now, and help market the women’s game.

Comment

• Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                Leading up to the Olympics the media darlings were Nathan Chen, Lyndsey Vonn & Shaun White. Only White delivered gold. Chen was a bust and you almost felt sorry for Vonn, a once dominant force who stayed at the dance too long. The new media darlings are teenage snowboarders and-surprise!- women’s hockey players! If Chen, Vonn and any women figure skaters had won gold I think they would’ve stolen the spotlight away from hockey. Fortunately the American women delivered in dramatic fashion and provided the best American moment of the Olympics that otherwise lacked drama. Well done, ladies!

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                  Leading up to the Olympics the media darlings were Nathan Chen, Lyndsey Vonn & Shaun White. Only White delivered gold. Chen was a bust and you almost felt sorry for Vonn, a once dominant force who stayed at the dance too long. The new media darlings are teenage snowboarders and-surprise!- women’s hockey players! If Chen, Vonn and any women figure skaters had won gold I think they would’ve stolen the spotlight away from hockey. Fortunately the American women delivered in dramatic fashion and provided the best American moment of the Olympics that otherwise lacked drama. Well done, ladies!
                  Umm, did you forget about Chloe Kim? You couldn't close your eyes for two minutes without hearing her name for weeks leading up to the Olympics. And she delivered! Big time.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Umm, did you forget about Chloe Kim? You couldn't close your eyes for two minutes without hearing her name for weeks leading up to the Olympics. And she delivered! Big time.
                    Yes- she’s one of the teenage snowboarders I was referring to. She had a great Olympics for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      Was immediately thinking the same. Glad to see her live up to all the hype.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Yes- she’s one of the teenage snowboarders I was referring to. She had a great Olympics for sure.
                        The point is, she was hyped up big time before the Olympics. Otherwise, I agree with your pre-Olympics hype list, but Kim needed to be added to that. And maybe Shiffrin.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

The point is, she was hyped up big time before the Olympics. Otherwise, I agree with your pre-Olympics hype list, but Kim needed to be added to that. And maybe Shiffrin.
                          Right. So I think everyone agrees that along with White, Kim & Shiffrin, the USA v Canada game was one of the few things that lived up to the media hype. If the women’s team become media darlings because of that then great- well deserved! Just pointing out that it was one of the great moments of these Olympics that didn’t have a ton of great American moments. Not when we’ve come to expect Michael Phelps & women’s gymnastics-type stories at every Olympics. Whether there’s a bump for women’s hockey down the road, only time will tell. Here’s hoping!

Comment

Right. So I think everyone agrees that along with White, Kim & Shiffrin, the USA v Canada game was one of the few things that lived up to the media hype. If the women’s team become media darlings because of that then great- well deserved! Just pointing out that it was one of the great moments of these Olympics that didn’t have a ton of great American moments. Not when we’ve come to expect Michael Phelps & women’s gymnastics-type stories at every Olympics. Whether there’s a bump for women’s hockey down the road, only time will tell. Here’s hoping!
                            Yes. Your main point was a good one. I was just being picky for accuracy sake. Had an American figure skater, especially a woman, wowed the Games, it would have overshadowed some of the women's hockey success. As would have Vonn.

BTW, looking back at the 1980 Winter Olympics, from an American perspective, it was a huge bust (even considering we weren't as strong in winter sports back then). Especially considering the home country usually gets a boost. USA won only six gold medals, and only two entities won them -- Eric Heiden took five golds and of course the men's hockey team.

But because Heiden won all the speed skating events (a Phelps type performance, or back in those days, it would have been considered a Spitz like performance) which is a huge story and of course the Miracle on Ice story, we think those Olympics were a great American success. However, considering the hype surrounding other American athletes, Heiden was the only one who lived up to that hype. Phil Mahre was a disappointment. Linda Fratianne only managed a silver. And the biggest disappointment was the withdrawal of the Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner pairs team, who were considered locks, due to injury.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                              With all due respect, you got more than this. Wanna weigh in on this game?
                              [ARM, you are characterized by restraint and judgement. My impatience led to an ill-advised post. Chalk it up to excitement and extreme fatigue in the afterglow of the game. I have now had a good night's sleep. ]
                              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-23-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                The American Olympic audience as a whole is involuntarily subjected to what is for many the manufactured excitement of skeleton, curling and short track pushing, etc. These no doubt have their fans, but if the (miraculous) game of women’s hockey were what happened to be readily available for passive consumption the excitement would be real and most welcome, I imagine, bump or no bump. There certainly would be more buzz, given what even this inaccessible game seemed to produce.

Comment

Working...
                                X