Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    what is the rule on same conference first round matchups? when would the committee be ok with it? is it based on # of teams from that conference in the tourney?
    5+ teams from a conference is the rule.
    In practice, only when absolutely necessary - such as when a conference has 3 #2 seeds and 2 #3 seeds.

Comment

Re: Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Thanks. While I know things will change my thought on the current PWR would be to have Denver take on North Dakota in Sioux Falls given that they match up bracket integrity wise. rather than screwing St. Cloud doubly as the #1 overall seed.

Comment

Thanks. While I know things will change my thought on the current PWR would be to have Denver take on North Dakota in Sioux Falls given that they match up bracket integrity wise. rather than screwing St. Cloud doubly as the #1 overall seed.
        While Current PWR has 5+ NCHC teams in the field, it would not require an all NCHC first round game. Only when leaving all teams in their seed bands requires intra=conference matchups will it happen.

Current PWR does not require that.

#1s: St Cloud (NCHC), NoDame (B10), Cornell (ECAC), Denver (NCHC)
        #4s: NoDak (NCHC), N'eastern (HE), Michigan (B10), AHA Champ

The clear play here is that Denver can't go to Sioux Falls (same Conference), so either Cornell or Notre Dame has to. And, given that there are few Eastern teams in the current field, it's a sure thing that, if the final PWR was like this, Cornell would stay east for attendance.... You likely get:
        Sioux Falls: NoDame v NoDak
        Allentown: St Cloud v AHA
        Bridgeport: Cornell v Northeastern
        Worcester: Denver v Michigan,

with Providence in Worcester.

No need for an all NCHC game.

Comment

Right, I know it can be avoided under the current rankings. Just curious if this scenario might lead them to having that all NCHC matchup despite there being other alternatives. This was predicated on me getting Notre Dame to Allentown but I really have no idea if that even matters. If you had something like Notre Dame, Ohio State and Western Michigan in Allentown maybe attendance wouldn't be completely embarrassing.

Comment

Right, I know it can be avoided under the current rankings. Just curious if this scenario might lead them to having that all NCHC matchup despite there being other alternatives. This was predicated on me getting Notre Dame to Allentown but I really have no idea if that even matters. If you had something like Notre Dame, Ohio State and Western Michigan in Allentown maybe attendance wouldn't be completely embarrassing.
            Notre Dame to Allentown...
            1- Make sure Penn State is not in the field.
            2- Get Notre Dame to #1 overall, or get NoDak to the 3 band.

Comment

Late NCHC games yet to be played on Saturday night.

Good results this weekend for Minnesota (W and T vs Ohio State).

NCHC teams basically treading water.
              UMD needed wins vs Miami (lower ranked team - a loss would hurt the RPI a lot)
              W Mich got a T and L vs SCSU. Could have been worse. They are on the .500 bubble yet, but that T Friday night is huge.
              Omaha and NoDak appear to be on the way to a split. (Should Omaha come back and win, NoDak's place in the NCAAs would be under threat).

The middle 4 teams in NCHC have to survive each other in the 1/4 finals to make the NCC field. That's Western, Duluth, NoDak and Omaha.

And, the most interesting feature: According to Jim Dahl, should CC defeat DU, Mankato would overtake the Pioneers for the last #1 seed
              Last edited by Numbers; 02-17-2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                Late NCHC games yet to be played on Saturday night.

Good results this weekend for Minnesota (W and T vs Ohio State).

NCHC teams basically treading water.
                UMD needed wins vs Miami (lower ranked team - a loss would hurt the RPI a lot)
                W Mich got a T and L vs SCSU. Could have been worse. They are on the .500 bubble yet, but that T Friday night is huge.
                Omaha and NoDak appear to be on the way to a split. (Should Omaha come back and win, NoDak's place in the NCAAs would be under threat).

The middle 4 teams in NCHC have to survive each other in the 1/4 finals to make the NCC field. That's Western, Duluth, NoDak and Omaha.

And, the most interesting feature: According to Jim Dahl, should CC defeat DU, Mankato would overtake the Pioneers for the last #1 seed

And that has happened. DU falls to 5 in Pairwise, MSU moves to 4.
                Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                  [/B]

And that has happened. DU falls to 5 in Pairwise, MSU moves to 4.
                  And very thinly. 4,5 depend on the outcome of today's game.

Comment

Code:
                    Bridgeport		Worcester	Allentown		Sioux Falls
                    St Cloud		Cornell		Notre Dame		Mankato
                    Minnesota		Ohio State	Clarkson		Denver
                    Providence		Northeastern	Minn-Duluth		Michigan
                    Mercyhurst		Omaha		Boston Coll		No Dakota
                    BC is in as the projected Hockey East champion. They replace Western Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      Code:
                      Bracket integrity (mostly), no conference matchup problems, and I get to see my Mavericks in Sioux Falls! I like it!

Comment

Code:
                        There might be a chance that OSU would go to Allentown, although I don't know what kind of attendace bump they would give.
                        Also, note that if DU and MSU-M were reversed, this blows up (assuming NoDak stays a #4), and you get....
                        B-port: SCSU, Minn, Prov, AHA (MU)
                        W'cester: Denver, Clarkson, Neastern, BC
                        Allentown:Notre Dame, OSU, Duluth, Omaha
                        Sioux Falls: Cornell, Kato, Mich, NoDak

Which is truly horrible, but it becomes a terrible exercise in damage control, because NoDak can't face either Denver or SCSU.

Comment

There might be a chance that OSU would go to Allentown, although I don't know what kind of attendace bump they would give.
                          Also, note that if DU and MSU-M were reversed, this blows up (assuming NoDak stays a #4), and you get....
                          B-port: SCSU, Minn, Prov, AHA (MU)
                          W'cester: Denver, Clarkson, Neastern, BC
                          Allentown:Notre Dame, OSU, Duluth, Omaha
                          Sioux Falls: Cornell, Kato, Mich, NoDak

Which is truly horrible, but it becomes a terrible exercise in damage control, because NoDak can't face either Denver or SCSU.
                          Ideal for the committee is Minnesota in the 2 band and NoDak in the 3. Then Sioux Falls is SCSU vs AHA / Minnesota v North Dakota.

Comment

Ideal for the committee is Minnesota in the 2 band and NoDak in the 3. Then Sioux Falls is SCSU vs AHA / Minnesota v North Dakota.
                            Yes, but works with Mankato as a #2 as well, with NoDak as a #3.

Comment

Yes, but works with Mankato as a #2 as well, with NoDak as a #3.
                              Yeah but..Gophers vs Sioux....err, Fighting Hawks...

Comment

Yeah but..Gophers vs Sioux....err, Fighting Hawks...
                                Which won't be necessary to fill the barn. So, I think the committee goes with Proper seeding first, and MN vs UND 2nd.

Btw, where are you from?

Comment

Working...
                                X