Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be solid:

St Cloud vs RMU/AFA
    ND/OSU winner vs NMU/MTU winner in Allentown
    Penn State the 3 Allentown
    Notre Dame and Cornell 1 seeds
    Mankato and Providence 2 seeds
    Clarkson and Northeastern 3 seeds
    Clarkson can still go to a #2 seed

SCSU - #1 overall and will play the RMU/AFA winner
    Cornell - #2 or 3 overall and will play in W'Cester or B'port
    NoDame - #2 or #4 overall
    OSU/Den - 4, 5, or 6....
    B10 winner will play in Allentown, but might get Princeton if PU makes it, because they can't play Cornell, and you might have BU or BC in as the other #4.
    Last #1 - NoDame, or Den, will play in the far east.

#1/2s: OSU, Den
    #2s: Mankato, Providence
    2/3: Clarkson, Mich, PSU, NE
    2/3/4: UMD
    3/4: Minn
    #4s: UND, BC and the autobids
    Last edited by Numbers; 03-16-2018, 11:47 PM.

Comment

I read the wrong line for Clarkson. They're a 3 seed if they lose, a 2 seed if they win.

Yeah, Princeton could go to Allentown...bonus for the NCAA is that it's only 90 miles so the Tigers wouldn't have to fly.

Comment

And, actually, in respect to Jim Dahl....

I can't find a way to get UMD as high as he does, if they lose tomorrow. They keep coming out 13th, no matter what I try.

Never mind. There is the "tie" possibility, which means 0 wins.
        Last edited by Numbers; 03-16-2018, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Go BU or Princeton keep North Dakota out i dont want to drive to Sioux Falls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
            And, actually, in respect to Jim Dahl....

I can't find a way to get UMD as high as he does, if they lose tomorrow. They keep coming out 13th, no matter what I try.

Never mind. There is the "tie" possibility, which means 0 wins.
            Yep, I throw that infernal tie in with a loss as 0 wins. All my record keeping is in big matrices by number of wins and I've never felt it worth rewriting to accommodate this weird scenario.

Anyway, here's what I came up with on what each team needs. Unlike the forecast itself, this was a manual exercise quite prone to error, so please point out any mistakes!

https://blog.collegehockeyranked.com...rning-outlook/
            Last edited by JimDahl; 03-17-2018, 12:38 AM.

Comment

The NCHC nightmare scenario.
              http://pwp.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi..._5aacc93be4a44

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                For perhaps the first time in the history of sports, both teams in a consolation game may come out motivated.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  Following Jim, above, that actually goes like this:
                  UND wins
                  BU wins
                  Princeton win
                  (The ECAC and HE results narrow the window to one more berth)
                  (UND winning puts Minnesota in the drivers seat over UMD)
                  And, one of the following comes in:
                  SCSU
                  OSU
                  RMU
                  NMU
                  win, which puts UMTC ahead of UMD in RPI.

That is actually not far fetched at all. Basically, 3 games - NCHC conso, ECAC and HE, or a 1/8 chance, and then, if that chance comes in, 15/16 chance because of all the possibilities after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    As a fan of one of the NCHC teams already in this is our dream scenario... tough conference knocks each other around and eliminates each other
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Lacking a way to compare after today's games, but the current KRACH is interesting:
                      Top 5 as in PWR. Mankato alone at 6. Minnesota higher (9), but that's the worst discrepancy, and surely is a result of losing 4 straight to PSU.
                      It would be NOrtheastern and NoDak on the bubble there, with BC no chance, really.
                      But a very good chance it would give the same field.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                        As a fan of one of the NCHC teams already in this is our dream scenario... tough conference knocks each other around and eliminates each other
                        Yes, but also, not the usual OOC results early on as before.
                        B10 will get 4 teams, and probably 5 (UMTC), and that's out of 7, who knocked each other around pretty well, too. But, very fortunate early results carried the day.
                        And, that's borne out by KRACH.

Comment

Is there any scenario for either team in this consolation game where a win is any better than a tie?

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                            Is there any scenario for either team in this consolation game where a win is any better than a tie?
                            I believe the answer is 'no', because in both cases, the needful thing is to maintain a lead in RPI over 1 other team...NoDak over BC and UMD over UMTC. In either case, a tie does that as well as a win

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                              It makes no difference for North Dakota. They will be above BC with either a win or tie, but won't be able to catch Minnesota (or Minnesota Duluth).

Minnesota Duluth could potentially be a 2 seed with a win (although unlikely), and would be a 3 seed with a tie...I believe.
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                                And yet somehow the Big Ten has at least four and possibly five teams in the field of 16.

Maybe, just MAYBE... the NCHC is nowhere near as strong as they were last year.
                                National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                                National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Working...
                                X