Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
    How many are actually going to be in the seats at Allentown?
    That doesn't matter to the NCAA. All that matters is how much money Allentown will pay for the privilege of hosting.

Comment

Do you see relatively empty regional arenas as a problem?
      There are numerous other steps the NCAA (and regional hosts) could try that don't include putting the games back on campus.

Comment

Do you see relatively empty regional arenas as a problem?
        The NCAA gets a guaranteed amount from the regionals. Attendance doesn't matter. Just a question, do you go to every regional your team is in? If not, why should you care about the attendance? Either way, I doubt the players care. They are in pursuit of a National Championship.
        Last edited by scoreboard; 02-14-2018, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Re: Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
          The NCAA gets a guaranteed amount from the regionals. Attendance doesn't matter. Just a question, do you go to every regional your team is in? If not, why should you care about the attendance? Either way, I doubt the players care. They are in pursuit of National Championship.
          I live below the poverty line, so I don't get to go to any games.

And, I am aware of the guaranteed amount from regional hosts. However, the committee has discussed this in past years. And, there is the possibility of more discussion if there are few bids.

The Midwest is the one that's difficult, and always has been. NoDak is going to submit a bid for either Fargo or Sioux Falls every year. Their fans alone will pack the place, so it works for them.

Anyway, I'm not arguing. I'm just interested to see what happens.

Comment

I live below the poverty line, so I don't get to go to any games.

And, I am aware of the guaranteed amount from regional hosts. However, the committee has discussed this in past years. And, there is the possibility of more discussion if there are few bids.

The Midwest is the one that's difficult, and always has been. NoDak is going to submit a bid for either Fargo or Sioux Falls every year. Their fans alone will pack the place, so it works for them.

Anyway, I'm not arguing. I'm just interested to see what happens.
            I'm with you numbers. I just like the current system. It works out well most years for the eastern fans and venues. This year with the lack of quality eastern teams the attendance may not be good in the in the two eastern regionals
            Last edited by scoreboard; 02-14-2018, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I'm with you numbers. I just like the current system. It works out well most years for the eastern fans and venues. This year with the lack of quality eastern teams the attendance may not be good in the in the two eastern regionals
              I agree that the 2 eastern regions usually are ok. There are what, 4 places that commonly rotate, and most of the Eastern schools are relatively close to all 4 of them (exception maybe the occasional when it goes to Albany). It doesn't much matter out there, except a year like this one where BC and BU and the other normal eastern draws may be absent.

Comment

How many are actually going to be in the seats at Allentown?
                That depends on who goes. OSU or Notre /Dame, or PSU should draw, and some eastern schools might also. I'm totally against have the upper seed host. There's an advantage and there's an advantage and how many people would go to see union at that tiny rink they have. You all want a good atmosphere and that's fine but there are limits.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Last year in Cincinnati was ok and I doubt they lost money.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I feel like I've seen this idea floated on here in the past, and I think its based on an older format when the field was only 12, but what about super regionals where there are only two sites with 8 teams each? One location in the east and one in the west?

Friday: 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7
                    Saturday: 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5
                    Sunday: 2 games with each winner advancing to the FF

The top seeds get the advantage of an extra days rest. All games still take place over those three days. Each fan base gets two games for each day. More teams = more people in seats (maybe?). I'd prefer trying something like that over the schools hosting, because I'm in agreement with others that there's regularly going to be at least one top seed with a rink that is much too small.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                      I feel like I've seen this idea floated on here in the past, and I think its based on an older format when the field was only 12, but what about super regionals where there are only two sites with 8 teams each? One location in the east and one in the west?

The top seeds get the advantage of an extra days rest. All games still take place over those three days. Each fan base gets two games for each day. More teams = more people in seats (maybe?). I'd prefer trying something like that over the schools hosting, because I'm in agreement with others that there's regularly going to be at least one top seed with a rink that is much too small.
                      I think the problem that was brought up with this was 8 clubhouses at each facility.

I even had an idea for a double-elimination regional, which required two weeks. 8 schools at each place, but the complaint was the same.

I really just think the committee has a tough spot to deal with, and there are no good answers.

Comment

Don’t forget to add time for Practice sessions for each team at the rink the day before it’s first game and morning skates on game days.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          Don’t forget to add time for Practice sessions for each team at the rink the day before it’s first game and morning skates on game days.
                          True, to make it work I think these types of sites would need to have adequate practice rinks either adjacent or very close by.

Comment

True, to make it work I think these types of sites would need to have adequate practice rinks either adjacent or very close by.
                            You need to give teams a chance to skate in rinks they’ve never played at, more than just their pregame warmups. It’s simply not a feasible idea to have 8 teams at one rink. Six was brutal.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I agree that the 2 eastern regions usually are ok. There are what, 4 places that commonly rotate, and most of the Eastern schools are relatively close to all 4 of them (exception maybe the occasional when it goes to Albany). It doesn't much matter out there, except a year like this one where BC and BU and the other normal eastern draws may be absent.
                              BC didn’t make the tournament last year and BU was shipped out west last season...so same thing as last year.
                              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

what is the rule on same conference first round matchups? when would the committee be ok with it? is it based on # of teams from that conference in the tourney?

Comment

Working...
                                X