Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
    This is exactly what leads to the discussion. Grand Rapids, MI no longer bids because they lose money. I doubt you'll see a Cincinnati bid again. Notre Dame hosted on campus a couple years ago and the committee said.. No one else bid. Now, Allentown is trying for two years. The only chance they have of making it work is it the committee treats them like a third eastern regional.

West is going to be ok, because NoDak will bid every year at either Sioux Falls or Fargo, and never lose money doing it. In theory,St Cloud or Duluth could do the same because their rinks are not on campus (I think). East is usually fine, but Albany is out of the rotation, because not enough fans go up there.

All this would take is a couple of lean years in the East, and no one would bid. Then what would the committee do?
    You're right about Duluth being off campus. SCSU's arena is on campus. However, I don't believe being on or off campus is the issue. The NCAA doesn't want any team to host in their home arena, so both of those options would be out. By way of their rule, which they don't always follow - Minnesota can't host at Mariucci (although they did so fairly recently), but they can host a few miles away at Xcel.

Omaha is the best example. They got their new on campus barn and moved out of the CenturyLink. So, if they so elected, they could and likely would be awarded a regional in downtown Omaha at their former arena.

The system as currently constructed works fine out east. The west/midwest will continue to be a mess under the neutral site format, but the coaches don't want to change it. If we allow #1 seeds to host, even if all the logistics work, that just ensures a handful of power teams from power conferences host more often than not. The rich get richer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
      You're right about Duluth being off campus. SCSU's arena is on campus. However, I don't believe being on or off campus is the issue. The NCAA doesn't want any team to host in their home arena, so both of those options would be out. By way of their rule, which they don't always follow - Minnesota can't host at Mariucci (although they did so fairly recently), but they can host a few miles away at Xcel.

Omaha is the best example. They got their new on campus barn and moved out of the CenturyLink. So, if they so elected, they could and likely would be awarded a regional in downtown Omaha at their former arena.

The system as currently constructed works fine out east. The west/midwest will continue to be a mess under the neutral site format, but the coaches don't want to change it. If we allow #1 seeds to host, even if all the logistics work, that just ensures a handful of power teams from power conferences host more often than not. The rich get richer.
      Thanks for clarifying the home ice rule. As for top seeds, I think there are two considerations. One is that the top seeds gets spread more than we think, and I'm going to check on that this afternoon.

The other is that there is no world where it's right for Mankato or Denver or someone from out east who is a top seed to have to play NoDak in Fargo or Sioux Falls when 90% of the barn is full of NoDak fans, when NoDak is a 3 seed. That's worse than the top see hosting.

But I don't have a solution, because the NCAA wants it's money, and money comes from fans, and they have the most of them.
      Last edited by Numbers; 02-19-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        No, but they bid for at least 2019 and 2020. The Icebreaker in 2015 was their audition and dry run. I think the tournament went well but there is a huge difference between that tournament and hosting a regional - particularly financial. Looking over the application I can't see how the university plans to make a cent, and it will likely cost them $50-100000. That's money we don't have.
        I would agree. Without the Maine team, it's just too far up there. Empty barn.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying the home ice rule. As for top seeds, I think there are two considerations. One is that the top seeds gets spread more than we think, and I'm going to check on that this afternoon.

The other is that there is no world where it's right for Mankato or Denver or someone from out east who is a top seed to have to play NoDak in Fargo or Sioux Falls when 90% of the barn is full of NoDak fans, when NoDak is a 3 seed. That's worse than the top see hosting.

But I don't have a solution, because the NCAA wants it's money, and money comes from fans, and they have the most of them.
          Bingo! And that's what I don't like about the "No Home Rinks!" position. We already have it, but now it's unearned. If we're not going to award the top 4 seeds with home ice, then no one should get it.

Comment

I would agree. Without the Maine team, it's just too far up there. Empty barn.
            But Portland might get it, depending on how much they bid on who else is out there. It really isn't THAT far - 2 hours from Boston - and Portland is a regional transportation hub with a train coming from Boston regularly. Here in the East though it may as well be the moon. What's amusing is you'll still hear people complain that the CIC in Bangor wasn't built with ice so it can't host a regional. As if Bangor would ever get a regional anyway.

Comment

But Portland might get it, depending on how much they bid on who else is out there. It really isn't THAT far - 2 hours from Boston - and Portland is a regional transportation hub with a train coming from Boston regularly. Here in the East though it may as well be the moon. What's amusing is you'll still hear people complain that the CIC in Bangor wasn't built with ice so it can't host a regional. As if Bangor would ever get a regional anyway.
              I think a regional in Portland is a good idea. As you started it is easily accessible from Boston. It is actually closer to Boston than it is to Orono. The arena seats about 6200 which is a nice size for a regional. Portland is also a fun and reasonably priced city.

Comment

In regard to #1 seeds...

In the last 11 years, there have been 21 different schools who had a #1 seed for the tournament (11 years is a totally random choice of years - don't make anything of that....)
                Of those years, these schools have had more than one:
                BC - 5
                Minn - 4
                NoDak - 4
                Miami - 4
                Denver - 3
                Michigan - 3
                Union - 2
                Q-pac - 2
                Wisconsin - 2
                BU - 2
                NoDame - 2
                New Hampshire - 2

This is just my opinion, but I would guess that spreading the hosting out among those schools would be a better spread than what currently happens, and it's not all "big schools' there either.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                  I think a regional in Portland is a good idea. As you started it is easily accessible from Boston. It is actually closer to Boston than it is to Orono. The arena seats about 6200 which is a nice size for a regional. Portland is also a fun and reasonably priced city.
                  From a fan perspective, a regional there would be great. I just don't see how it makes any financial sense for the host.

Comment

Could someone explain to me why with all of this loss of money why Yale and Fairfield (no hockey team) continue to bid as hosts in Bridgeport? The place never sells out, maybe they are given a great price? The other funny thing about this regional is that Bridgeport is now Sacred Hearts home rink. What would happen with Yale as the host AND Sacred Heart make the tourney. As far-fetched as it seems it could be an interesting scenario.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

• Re: Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                      Could someone explain to me why with all of this loss of money why Yale and Fairfield (no hockey team) continue to bid as hosts in Bridgeport? The place never sells out, maybe they are given a great price? The other funny thing about this regional is that Bridgeport is now Sacred Hearts home rink. What would happen with Yale as the host AND Sacred Heart make the tourney. As far-fetched as it seems it could be an interesting scenario.
                      Does Fairfield host other NCAA events? They might have a deal with the NCAA. Yale has money to burn so who knows why they do it. Skulls tell them to?

Comment

Does Fairfield host other NCAA events? They might have a deal with the NCAA. Yale has money to burn so who knows why they do it. Skulls tell them to?
                        Fairfield does play D-1 BB in that building and has a huge hospitality club/suite as well. They have never hosted a BB regional there though, too small for that. I wouldn't be surprised if the City of Bridgeport chips in somehow. I also heard Skulls member George Bush covers it, even though he was a baseball player for Yale.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          I'm neither for nor against home games in the tournament, but I think we ought to pick a rationale and stick with it. Right now, we insist on regional sites because they are neutral and "fair," but then we have host schools and we mess with bracket integrity by swapping teams to boost attendance. What are we trying to achieve?
                          I agree that some of the other rules need to change. The attendance swapping I would prefer to see stop but also understand why it happens. Host cities have a purpose on paper, but I would find a situation where the host of one regional appears in another interesting (though the schools wouldn’t go for that one).

My big problem is the rule against first round conference matchups. Those would be a big step towards maintaining bracket integrity and also building excitement for regionals.

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                            The west/midwest will continue to be a mess under the neutral site format, but the coaches don't want to change it.
                            I suggested a couple years ago that the Twin Cities could host both the West and Midwest regionals in the same year. Minnesota could host at the Xcel and the NCHC could host at Target Center. (Yes, conferences can host.) The Twin Cities regionals are almost always the best attended and I believe having both regionals in the same metro area would actually compound attendance.

Assuming that the top seeded NCHC would get preference, using current standings, you would have SCSU at the Target Center (with possibly North Dakota or Duluth) and you'd have Minnesota at the Xcel with Mankato (and possibly North Dakota or Duluth). Attendance would be fantastic at both venues.
                            scsuhockey.com
                            CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
                              I suggested a couple years ago that the Twin Cities could host both the West and Midwest regionals in the same year. Minnesota could host at the Xcel and the NCHC could host at Target Center. (Yes, conferences can host.) The Twin Cities regionals are almost always the best attended and I believe having both regionals in the same metro area would actually compound attendance.

Assuming that the top seeded NCHC would get preference, using current standings, you would have SCSU at the Target Center (with possibly North Dakota or Duluth) and you'd have Minnesota at the Xcel with Mankato (and possibly North Dakota or Duluth). Attendance would be fantastic at both venues.
                              This arrangement also works in conjunction with the present situation with NoDak hosting at Sioux Falls. I honestly believe you won't see NoDak giving up their option to bid to host at Sioux Falls or Fargo, and those are strong bids, because they know they will sell out every year.

What you need is to convince St Cloud to bid to host at Target Center. There isn't a reason that precludes that, except one strong elephant in the room: State Basketball Tournament, which is held at Target Center. So, then, you would have to bid at Xcel. But, Xcel is host to the State Hockey Tourney the week before, so you would effectively have the Wild locked out of their home arena for 2 weeks at the end of their schedule, and I am not sure that flies very well.

Hmmmm......

Comment

• Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post

Of course, then you have to clear both buildings for three days each on the same weekend. Not an easy task when you have the NHL, NBA and concert promoters to appease as well.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X