Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Numbers View Post

What's more interesting is that the eastern teams, at present, are not big draws, either.
    Based on the Beanpot attendance, Northeastern would pack Worcester if they end up there.

Comment

Re: Boring 2018 Bracketology Thread - Here we go again...

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      Based on the Beanpot attendance, Northeastern would pack Worcester if they end up there.
      I don't think the two are necessarily related. The Beanpot thing has been building for 30 years with NU. And they were the favorite going into it. I think people realized this could really be it. I have no doubt they would bring a lot of people to Worcester, it's just a different dynamic. But considering the last two times NU has the made the tourney it's been out west, yes, they would bring a good crowd to Worcester this year.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        And Pennsylvania isn’t west.

Chit, big ten isn’t west.
        Maryland and New Jersey are not west
        Which D1 hockey teams from Maryland and New Jersey are in the big ten?
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

It's 'nacho' year if that's what happens to you.

However, in the sense that such an occurrence, which you brought up (and, thanks, btw - good catch) opens more room in the NCAA field, I was commenting on how it might affect the bracket.
          gotcha
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            I don't think the two are necessarily related. The Beanpot thing has been building for 30 years with NU. And they were the favorite going into it. I think people realized this could really be it. I have no doubt they would bring a lot of people to Worcester, it's just a different dynamic. But considering the last two times NU has the made the tourney it's been out west, yes, they would bring a good crowd to Worcester this year.
            Good point. While we give NU props on their Beanpot attendance, for some reason that hasn't translated to good home attendance, only averaging 2,337 per game.

Comment

It would not be surprising to see two upset conference tourney winners out of the ECAC and HE. Actually, I really hope it happens.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

As a recent NU alum who would love to prove you wrong, NU would absolutely not pack Worcester. I can't imagine getting more than like 100 students there unless they get matched up with someone like a Hockey East champion BU in a regional final. The alumni contingent would probably be decent, but i wouldnt trust us as a main draw further than the city limits. The students just don't go for that, much less for 40 bucks or whatever the tickets are.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                  As a recent NU alum who would love to prove you wrong, NU would absolutely not pack Worcester. I can't imagine getting more than like 100 students there unless they get matched up with someone like a Hockey East champion BU in a regional final. The alumni contingent would probably be decent, but i wouldnt trust us as a main draw further than the city limits. The students just don't go for that, much less for 40 bucks or whatever the tickets are.

Probably more than B-Port, unless there’s some huge contingent from the City. All the regionals have the potential to be complete $h1t. Allentown could be ok if PSU makes it, Sioux Falls is close to nothing but could do ok if the Fawks or gophers make it. The eastern regionals are banking on the Boston schools, or maybe a Minnesota or other B1G school that has an alumni base large enough to be big everywhere. This could suck.

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                    Probably more than B-Port, unless there’s some huge contingent from the City. All the regionals have the potential to be complete $h1t. Allentown could be ok if PSU makes it, Sioux Falls is close to nothing but could do ok if the Fawks or gophers make it. The eastern regionals are banking on the Boston schools, or maybe a Minnesota or other B1G school that has an alumni base large enough to be big everywhere. This could suck.

r
                    Sioux Falls is the one that will be fine. NoDak is the host, and they chose Sioux Falls because they didn't want to use Sheels in Fargo every year. It's 4 hours down the road from Grand Forks, or something like that, and their fans are rabid. Probably most tickets are already sold.

Should NoDak not qualify, Mankato is very nearby as well, and Minnesota, too. Like I say, that's the one place that is safe.

Comment

Sioux Falls is the one that will be fine. NoDak is the host, and they chose Sioux Falls because they didn't want to use Sheels in Fargo every year. It's 4 hours down the road from Grand Forks, or something like that, and their fans are rabid. Probably most tickets are already sold.

Should NoDak not qualify, Mankato is very nearby as well, and Minnesota, too. Like I say, that's the one place that is safe.
                      And St. Cloud most likely will be there as the #1 seed.

This venue will do just fine.

Comment

Mankato is considerably closer to Sioux Falls than NoDak, although of course NoDak has a much bigger fan base. SCSU is also relatively close as well, at least as Western schools go. Should be a fun atmosphere if things fall right

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          Mankato is considerably closer to Sioux Falls than NoDak, although of course NoDak has a much bigger fan base. SCSU is also relatively close as well, at least as Western schools go. Should be a fun atmosphere if things fall right
                          Yes, but NoDak KNOWS they will be in that regional if they make the NCAAs, which is a forgone conclusion at this point. So NoDaks fans can, and are, buying their tickets already. MSU and SCSU will not know what regional they are going to until the week before the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
                            And St. Cloud most likely will be there as the #1 seed.

This venue will do just fine.
                            Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                            Originally posted by Tater View Post
                            Yes, but NoDak KNOWS they will be in that regional if they make the NCAAs, which is a forgone conclusion at this point. So NoDaks fans can, and are, buying their tickets already. MSU and SCSU will not know what regional they are going to until the week before the game.
                            Regardless of how many of those schools are actually there, the point is that Sioux Falls will be the one regional that will be fine. The other 3 are all ??? at this point. All depending on who qualifies. If Penn State makes it, then Allentown is in better shape. Bridgeport and Worcester sites are also in question without a big draw of an eastern school.

I'm wondering if this situation finally tips the NCAA in favor of campus sites somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                              Which D1 hockey teams from Maryland and New Jersey are in the big ten?
                              any lack of participants doesn't change the footprint of the conference. big ten is just a pricier AAC mumbled jumbled mess
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                any lack of participants doesn't change the footprint of the conference. big ten is just a pricier AAC mumbled jumbled mess
                                Be that as it may, his point that the tournament is not going to have many teams located in the Eastern part of the country still stands. Even if two of UNO, UMD, UND and WMU drop out of the top 14 or have a record below .500, the teams replacing them would probably not be from the East, minus Penn State.

Out of those, I really only see WMU as likely to fall out of the top 14 or dip below .500.
                                UNO is one game above .500, has 4 of their last 6 at home. If they can split with UND and sweep CC, they'd only need to win one game at UMD or in the playoffs.
                                UMD is one game above .500, has 4 of their last 6 at home. Home vs. Miami, at WMU, home vs. UNO. They will win 4 of 6 and be in.
                                Nodak is 4 games above .500, has only 2 of their last 6 at home. At UNO, at Miami, home vs SCSU. They only need to win 3 of their last 6 to get in the tournament.
                                WMU is one game above .500, has 4 of their last 6 at home. Hosting UMD and SCSU, at CC. Without Allison and Conrad, I don't see them winning more than 2 of those games.
                                Originally posted by SJHovey
                                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                                X