2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

something does not seem right with Shannon Szabados. But ever since the salacious and yellow journalism publicity that she was subjected to after her stint with the SPHL her performances have looked off to me. Maybe her age, too. Maybe I am wrong, and maybe she will play well in the final, but i just cannot think why the coach would put her in the final for reasons beyond just experience and past history. Maybe she will play well in the final. But i am not confident about this. after all, she has played crap in the past only to be clutch in the most important games. But I am not so sure this time around. Maybe I am wrong.

this team, at times, looked like russia today! Slow, passes not connecting, and wingers making errant passes when pinched along the boards. This will not be acceptable against team USA.

Rebecca Johnston is the best player on this team when she has linemates who can match her ability. the problem is that her and Poulin have almost zero chemistry and that is why she is not playing with Poulin. Jenner has great chemistry with Johnston but not the same in skill level. And Saulnier is a further drop from that. I will never understand Irwin not playing with Johnston. If the coach wants Irwin to play defence (waste of her talents IMO), she should have another Turnbull do it, who is a great 2 way player. brianna decker will score against team canada women. She always seems to.

Comment

• team canada women will need many miracles to win gold again. Given the way that the team canada women's GM has been openly mouthing off to the press about how great it was for team canada women's u18 to have lost and for the first time ever not made the gold medal game and whatnot, it seems like it is just expected now that this team will take silver. Sigh. OTOH, if somehow team canada women manages to win, the nightmare "all female alumni coaching staff" will happen and great coaches will be lost and buried in this program for years to come, which may have significant reparations on this team for the next decade.

erika lawler will have a meltdown on TV if team canada women manages to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
        Rebecca Johnston is the best player on this team when she has linemates who can match her ability.
        My favourite player on OAC for many years now. Very talented, quick skater with a beautiful fluid style and very deceptive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
          team canada women will need many miracles to win gold again. Given the way that the team canada women's GM has been openly mouthing off to the press about how great it was for team canada women's u18 to have lost and for the first time ever not made the gold medal game and whatnot, it seems like it is just expected now that this team will take silver. Sigh. OTOH, if somehow team canada women manages to win, the nightmare "all female alumni coaching staff" will happen and great coaches will be lost and buried in this program for years to come, which may have significant reparations on this team for the next decade.

erika lawler will have a meltdown on TV if team canada women manages to win.
          And Tessa will just smile (note: her Dad & I are CCT '77)
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
            The NHL never belonged in the Olympics.....The NBA doesn't belong in the Olympics either !
            I agree with you 1000%! The Men's competition would be more interesting if we put old-time effort into putting a team together. It, like the Women's games, would hurt a lot of college teams for a year, but it's the Olympics! Watch "Miracle" again and tell me if NHL players would fit in that story.

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
              I agree with you 1000%! The Men's competition would be more interesting if we put old-time effort into putting a team together. It, like the Women's games, would hurt a lot of college teams for a year, but it's the Olympics! Watch "Miracle" again and tell me if NHL players would fit in that story.
              Yes, they would. American NHL players wouldn't fit into that story, because the Americans wouldn't be much of an underdog. Then again, at this point, the USA wouldn't be much of an underdog if you went back to using only amateur players, either. No matter how you slice it, it's a story that's not directly repeatable under any circumstances.

There are other countries, though, for whom every bit as exciting a story could be written, even if NHL players were playing. Just because you wouldn't get as excited about it doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a great story.

Also, there were some really ugly class biases that were the underlying basis for restricting the Olympics to just amateurs. We're much better off without them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
                team canada women will need many miracles to win gold again. erika lawler will have a meltdown on TV if team canada women manages to win.
                Sandbagging 101.

I want USA to win but it would be very amusing to see Lawler handle a loss.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                  Also, there were some really ugly class biases that were the underlying basis for restricting the Olympics to just amateurs. We're much better off without them.
                  Thank you! Someone else gets it.

Folks, read up on the history of the formation of the modern Olympic games. The idea of amateur competitors was a complete joke, and as Eeyore says, a complete discrimination against the lower class. On purpose by the English aristocracy. (Not to mention, the ancient Greek Olympics never had this amateur concept.)

Then, of course, so many countries, especially the Soviets, found a completely valid way around it, it became an even bigger joke.

The Olympics are supposed to be about the best of the best. Bring on the NHL players. Bring on the NBA players. I never want to go back to 1980 (and again, I was there, and I'm still saying this). I want to see the absolute best compete against the absolute best. Not some joke of a romanticized failed concept.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    The Olympics are supposed to be about the best of the best. Bring on the NHL players. Bring on the NBA players. I never want to go back to 1980 (and again, I was there, and I'm still saying this). I want to see the absolute best compete against the absolute best. Not some joke of a romanticized failed concept.
                    I agree. Watching the Olympic men's hockey is like watching beer league action. Guess I got used to Canada's gold medal teams and don't want to watch our "C" team struggle through.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      Thank you! Someone else gets it.

Folks, read up on the history of the formation of the modern Olympic games. The idea of amateur competitors was a complete joke, and as Eeyore says, a complete discrimination against the lower class. On purpose by the English aristocracy. (Not to mention, the ancient Greek Olympics never had this amateur concept.)

Then, of course, so many countries, especially the Soviets, found a completely valid way around it, it became an even bigger joke.

Move hockey to summer games and there is no longer an issue with the NHL moguls.

The NHL is going to find out that this move was short sighted at best. If they think they are going to Beijing, what was wrong with Korea? Same awful start times.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Move hockey to summer games and there is no longer an issue with the NHL moguls.
                        This has been proposed by various top folks. The IOC is resistant because of how bloated (my word) the Summer Games have become. Plus, it is a bit odd to see a winter sport in the Summer Games. I know I would have an odd time watching it. Plus, from a hockey perspective, you may get the top players involved and thus the better publicity, but that's traded off by so many other sports grabbing the spotlight. Especially team sports. Hockey is the only team sport in the Winter Games. It grabs all the nationalistic attention team sports grab over individual sports. In the summer, you'll be competing for this nationalistic attention with basketball, soccer, team handball (big in Europe), water polo, field hockey (big in Asia), and now rugby.

The NHL is going to find out that this move was short sighted at best. If they think they are going to Beijing, what was wrong with Korea? Same awful start times.
                        I can answer this. Bettman himself gave this answer. The NHL looks at China as an expansion possibility (not for an actual team, but for interest). They never saw any advantage in Korea. So, if they want to expose China to hockey, then it's worth sending the NHL players there, even if the logistics back home remain the same.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

OK, this is funny.

Just checked the TV guide for TSN (a Canadian Sports Network) to make sure I've got the time right for tonight's Gold Medal Game. At the top they give a description of the broadcast (like some background info such as: Canada is going for its 4th Gold Medal in a row instead of the correct number which is 5...and when it originally aired, in this case, today). If it was a movie it would describe the story line.

At the bottom left, if it was a movie it would say "Starring"...and then list a few of the prominent actors/actresses.

Well, on this page it says "Starring" Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson, Hilary Knight, Monique (and that was it because the field had no more room).

Hahahaha.

A Canadian network that doesn't know how many Golds Canada has accomplished in a row and according to them the only movie stars are from the US team. Hahahahaha!

Is this a harbinger of things to come?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                            OK, this is funny.

Just checked the TV guide for TSN (a Canadian Sports Network) to make sure I've got the time right for tonight's Gold Medal Game. At the top they give a description of the broadcast (like some background info such as: Canada is going for its 4th Gold Medal in a row instead of the correct number which is 5...and when it originally aired, in this case, today). If it was a movie it would describe the story line.

At the bottom left, if it was a movie it would say "Starring"...and then list a few of the prominent actors/actresses.

Well, on this page it says "Starring" Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson, Hilary Knight, Monique (and that was it because the field had no more room).

Hahahaha.

A Canadian network that doesn't know how many Golds Canada has accomplished in a row and according to them the only movie stars are from the US team. Hahahahaha!

E$PN is a partner....
                            I blame Duthie.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

A one game victory would not normally signal a significant overhaul is needed, but unfortunately for Canada this was way more significant than a one game loss.

The US has been the dominate team going on 8 years now, but just never has enjoyed the puck luck to capture the ultimate prize. Canada always gives it 100% and has been gifted with unbelievable goal tending that has masked their deficiencies. The US is simply more talented ...... and Canada has some catching up to do.

I realise it is easy to cry for wholesale changes but I believe that is what is needed. Mel Davidson and Hockey Canada simply put way way too much pressure on their players with their extensive centralisation and player control. It is over-coaching at its finest. And player selection is extremely questionable..... I can think of at least 6 players that would have been much better selections..... more talent, speed, size and a history of winning big games.

Alas though my pleas will inevitably fall on deaf ears, and the status quo will prevail, and I fear with even greater entrenchment.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post

I guess...it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X