• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw, I love Canada's black uniforms!

Comment

Re: 2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by Chaffron View Post
      What the f is wrong with the refs? Dumb, incompetent, just plain negligent and stupid . They should not be refereeing women's games. Very obvious from the CBC angle showed the puck going in. The problem with the IIHF is they are so obsessed about the image of women refereeing women's games and "growing the game" that they will hire yahoos to referee important games at the Olympics.

Women or not, dumb and incompetent people should not be deciding important games, much less at the Olympics.

in other very disappointing news, team canada women's GM publicly stated that at the next OG, will see an all women alumni coaching staff at the team canada women's senior level. This is concerning given the horrible results that the women's coaching staff have achieved for 4 years at all levels. No to Nadine Muzerall, Cara Morey, and the likes. They have had their chance and blew it.
      International refs have been weird forever. The worst game I ever saw was Finland/Russia at the worlds this spring. Russia could have done anything with no call & if a Finn player came within an inch of a Russian it was off to the bin. Mostly they just miss obvious stuff & call nothing.

I do like the way you think about coaches. Once a coach has failed they should never ever ever be given another chance and only successful coaches should ever be selected. That is a recipe for Canadian hockey that will make American's very happy

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        With the pullout of the NHL I have zero interest in the men's tournament this Olympics. If they had reverted to a pure amateur tournament where we would have seen the best non-pros from each country I'd be all in.
        The NHL never belonged in the Olympics.....The NBA doesn't belong in the Olympics either !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

in other very disappointing news, team canada women's GM publicly stated that at the next OG, will see an all women alumni coaching staff at the team canada women's senior level. This is concerning given the horrible results that the women's coaching staff have achieved for 4 years at all levels. No to Nadine Muzerall, Cara Morey, and the likes. They have had their chance and blew it.
          The sound you heard was a giant sigh of relief coming from Potsdam, NY.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

We need more high end female head coaches. We need more female head coaches in general. Thank goodness for what we do have in the NCAA but we need more. I think Davidson’s heart is probably in the right place, but also, ignoring a male who is good and has devoted his career to the women’s game seems wrong too.

Cannot wait to see the Schuler vs Stauber coaching battle tomorrow. I’ve really enjoyed the games. Knight and Co are due for a big night, the rest of the USA lines will bring confidence from the OAR game and the balanced goal scoring.

Comment

What I'm looking forward to the most in tonight's game is...no Italian play by play!!

Comment

Did US viewers get the Canadian broadcast?

Did anyone catch the story Cassie Campbell told just before the game about (she didn't mention the name but the play by play guy did) Duggan skating by the Canadian bench?

I didn't catch where that took place. Was that just before the Gold Medal Game in Sochi?

The new US cycling strategy was non existent tonight. Aggressive forechecking reducing time and space being the main culprit.

Forgot a question on that topic...with long enough cycling of the puck, if that ploy were to continue, could the US conceivably be called for delay of game?

Canada not quick enough to the puck thru a lot of the third and excellent effort by Coyne on her goal and equally excellent blunder by Canada on the same play.

Penalized players were camera shy late in the game with Knight tossing a towel over the camera and Poulin leaning the blade of her stick on the lens...haha.

Canada incapable of clearing the puck on way too many opportunities and of not controlling the puck in the US end way too often. And lots of their passing was less than stellar. They're going to have to be much sharper than that.

And dumb unnecessary penalty by Agosta (2nd one) with the elbow (play by play guy called it chin music...hahaha) in the second period I think it was. It's bad enough that their PP often looked like they were short handed (thanks to the US speed and aggression) you don't need to be sitting out two minutes for stupidity. And that's exactly what it is at this level...either you want to win or you just want to get even.
                Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-15-2018, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Cassie Campbell on canadian tv called out the lack of leadership of the players in this team....like i have been saying all along since early last year.

This team is missing the leadership of Ouellette and Wickenheiser and it is so obvious. Poulin's body language did not look good here.

i was afraid that Saulnier would be selfish but she played good.

this coach does not know what to do with Haley Irwin, who should be playing on Johnston and jenner's line IMO. i do not know where that leaves Saulnier, but a johnston-jenner-irwin line would be a winning one. The coach is wasting her talents.
                  Last edited by Chaffron; 02-15-2018, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Cassie Campbell on canadian tv called out the lack of leadership of the players in this team....like i have been saying all along since early last year.

This team is missing the leadership of Ouellette and Wickenheiser and it is so obvious. Poulin's body language did not look good here.

i was afraid that Saulnier would be selfish but she played good.

this coach does not know what to do with Haley Irwin, who should be playing on Johnston and jenner's line IMO. i do not know where that leaves Saulnier, but a johnston-jenner-irwin line would be a winning one. The coach is wasting her talents.
                    The question is should Irwin be on this team? Why not give a younger player a chance! Do we need a player that really only plays on the power play?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                      Forgot a question on that topic...with long enough cycling of the puck, if that ploy were to continue, could the US conceivably be called for delay of game?

And what rule would they possibly be breaking? This isn't basketball...
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

And what rule would they possibly be breaking? This isn't basketball...
                        It was a question that had initially crossed my mind but I forgot about it until last night when someone to whom I was explaining the new US strategy asked that same question of me.

The question would be whether or not it would fall within the definition of actions that constitute a delay of game? And, maybe, if there are any such definitions that allow for discretionary judgment on the part of the ref.

What's interesting is I haven't seen any comments here yet about the new US strategy that was non existent last night.
                        Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-15-2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                          The question is should Irwin be on this team? Why not give a younger player a chance! Do we need a player that really only plays on the power play?
                          When you score 100+ points over four years in the NCAA you are a hero.

Irwin scored 200+ points with UMD. That's rarefied air.

I was shocked to hear her playing DEFENSE last night late in the game!!

But with her injuries (including concussion issues) I don't think that she is quite the same player that she was eight years ago.

But I think that there are a couple more on this team that require closer scrutiny than Irwin does.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                            What's interesting is I haven't seen any comments here yet about the new US strategy that was non existent last night.
                            I was wondering the same, whether or not it was a deliberate coaching decision to move the puck up ice quicker, hoping to catch Canada off guard, or if the pressure the Canadians put on the USA defensemen forced them to move the puck forward instead of the constant regrouping that we saw in their previous two games.

I suspect it was some combination of the two.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                              Irwin does not just play on the power play. And she rarely makes any defensive mistakes unlike others, and her individual efforts usually are not selfish, unlike Saulnier, and any time she any time she is on the ice americans' puck possession slows down.

the biggest problem with team canada women is their bad defence. Who do you think is a younger player that should be given a chance? Krzyzaniak was terrible in the exhibition series and games last season, just no compete level, timid passing, and playing dump and chase hockey against USA will not cut it. Lacquette is not great either, i guess they are using her for her point shot, but there is really no other defenceman for canada who is good. Sadly, they have no other options.

irwin is versatile and the most complete player on the team. the coach doesn't know how to use her talents. But maybe playing defence is smart given the lack of defensive depth on the team.

Comment

Irwin played just under ten minutes, only 30 seconds less than Duggan of the USA. I’d say just under ten minutes is significant for someone who hasn’t been assigned to a line. Just over ten minutes is also eye raising for a captain IMO, but I guess she’s their leader.

I’m a little worried about how badly outshot Canada was. Knight is eventually going to find the back of the net and if that line gets going yikes.We are lucky the Americans inexplicably left Carpenter at home and that LaCasse played great.

Also, who starts in goal now in the medal round and do you stick with a goalie yet? I’m inclined to think I’d want same goalie in semi and final.

Bad body language out of Knight and Poulin. I noticed it too. I don’t know if Poulin is hurting or what the frustration was; not much adversity in that game for Canada. The punching and such after the whistles, I don’t know, seems like the girls on both teams are getting too high and low. A gold medal is going to be at stake, leave that stuff for the exhibitions.

Comment

Working...
                                X