2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

How long have the teams been there? I wouldn't entirely throw out jet lag as a cause for the first USA & CAN games being a bit of a slog.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      How long have the teams been there? I wouldn't entirely throw out jet lag as a cause for the first USA & CAN games being a bit of a slog.
      They have been there for a week. Finland is always tough and has even beaten both teams in World play. I have the Canadian game saved but have not watched it yet. Russia is not the push over it was either and 5 zip seems good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        They have been there for a week. Finland is always tough and has even beaten both teams in World play. I have the Canadian game saved but have not watched it yet. Russia is not the push over it was either and 5 zip seems good enough.
        Yeah I'm not too concerned about the Finland game. The second period for USA showed me they're good enough if they play well for 60 minutes.

Didn't see the Canada game. Hopefully they were BAD!
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
          After the first day of plsy for Canada and the US, I am underwhelmed with both. This is the world stage- the one that gets people talking about our sport....
          Could it possibly be that other teams are finally starting to slowly but surely close the gap?! That would be great if true. I welcome tougher games/opponents for the US and Canada. Isn't that what we all want so they don't get rid of women's hockey at the Olympics??? Closing the gap absolutely WILL get people talking about our sport. I thought that was the goal and obvious to all true fans of our sport. Blowouts and easy wins on the world stage DO NOT help anyone!!!! Every game of this tournament should be a tough challenge and well worth watching, not just the two games where the US and Canada will face each other.
          Last edited by shelfit; 02-12-2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            Could it possibly be that other teams are finally starting to slowly but surely close the gap?! That would be great if true. I welcome tougher games/opponents for the US and Canada. Isn't that what we all want so they don't get rid of women's hockey at the Olympics??? Closing the gap absolutely WILL get people talking about our sport. I thought that was the goal and obvious to all true fans of our sport. Blowouts and easy wins on the world stage DO NOT help anyone!!!! Every game of this tournament should be a tough challenge and well worth watching, not just the two games where the US and Canada will face each other.
            My observations from last year's World Championships is that Finland is closing the gap, but no one else is. Sweden has gone backwards. For some reason, Russia always plays Finland tough, but they pretty much failed to show up against anyone else, getting blown out by both the U.S. and Canada in pool play and then losing to a hard-working but undertalented German team in the quarterfinals. No one from Pool B was at all competitive against the top three teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
              My observations from last year's World Championships is that Finland is closing the gap, but no one else is. Sweden has gone backwards. For some reason, Russia always plays Finland tough, but they pretty much failed to show up against anyone else, getting blown out by both the U.S. and Canada in pool play and then losing to a hard-working but undertalented German team in the quarterfinals. No one from Pool B was at all competitive against the top three teams.
              Great observations. The broadcast this morning confirmed that Sweden has in fact gone backwards a lot even though they dominated the host team this morning. Unfortunately the Korean team looked a lot like many average or worse D3 teams....scrambly positioning, weak passing and puckhandling skills, etc. That said, I wasn't expecting much more than that from them and I was rooting for them to score at least one goal nonetheless. Maybe they'll find the back of the net against Japan. I hope so!
              Last edited by shelfit; 02-12-2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I'm also not sure how much of Finland's improvement depends upon a group of players that are starting to get old and that they won't be able to replace. The last few U-18 tournaments have been less than successful for the Finns: unable to get out of Pool B or win a quarterfinal. So, the reality may be that no one is gaining on the U.S. and Canada in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                  I'm also not sure how much of Finland's improvement depends upon a group of players that are starting to get old and that they won't be able to replace. The last few U-18 tournaments have been less than successful for the Finns: unable to get out of Pool B or win a quarterfinal. So, the reality may be that no one is gaining on the U.S. and Canada in the long run.
                  I am curious about the effect that the loss of international recruiting by North Dakota and UMD has on the development of the Swedish and Finnish women's Olympic teams. Those two schools used to have a half-dozen or more international players on their rosters at any one time. Now that UND is gone and UMD has turned local, does that hurt the international women's game?

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                    I am curious about the effect that the loss of international recruiting by North Dakota and UMD has on the development of the Swedish and Finnish women's Olympic teams. Those two schools used to have a half-dozen or more international players on their rosters at any one time. Now that UND is gone and UMD has turned local, does that hurt the international women's game?
                    It certainly can't help the international women's game, but measuring its impact would be difficult if not impossible, especially when you consider that other programs will at least partially take up the slack. It seems unlikely that the best of the European players will go unnoticed.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                      Elander got a asst coaching job at OSU.

He's still in the game, so why would his Swedish/Euro recruiting efforts cease?

Comment

As far as I can tell TSN is broadcasting the US vs the Russian People's Representatives early tomorrow morning but not the Canada vs Finland game that takes place before that one at 1:30 A.M. CST!! How much sense does that make?

Does anyone know if the Canada vs Finland game is being broadcast/streamed anywhere?

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, broadcast on NBCSN - my DVR is set!
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Yes, broadcast on NBCSN - my DVR is set!
                            (Though I have not tried it yet)

There are full replays available to the NBC 'results' page.

Go to the link, click on the "+" next to hockey, then click on "See Full Hockey Schedule". There will be a "Full Replay" for each game already played.

So, one could watch the US live in the AM, then watch the stream of Canada after (although they will have told you the result during the US game), or watch them both via the stream in the order played.

http://results.nbcolympics.com/results
                            Last edited by robertearle; 02-12-2018, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbeard View Post
                              as far as i can tell tsn is broadcasting the us vs the russian people's representatives early tomorrow morning but not the canada vs finland game that takes place before that one at 1:30 a.m. Cst!! How much sense does that make?

Does anyone know if the canada vs finland game is being broadcast/streamed anywhere?

Thanks.
                              cbc?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Thanks guys...I'll check those out. Although the tv route probably won't work since I scoured the tv listings twice already and no go.

Game starts in 3 hours but the benefit here is I can get some sleep as compared to staying up till 4 in the morning watching the US vs Finland game a couple nights ago. Pros and cons to everything.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                                X