2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    It was tacky. If a US player did same, Canadians would be all over her.
    It was a disrespectful and classless move. Part of sports is learning how to lose with sportsmanship and not being a sore loser like that. If she was my daughter I would be ashamed of her especially since she was the only one that did it. That made her stand out from everyone else so it just looked really bad. Poor little spoiled sport didn't get her way....waah, waah, waah! What a baby! Boo, hiss!

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
      It was tacky. If a US player did same, Canadians would be all over her.
      You are probably right, and it would still be over the top. At the end of the day we all interpret things differently and are all entitled to our opinions.

It’s interesting because some people say looking devastated or not, taking a medal off or not, tells you how much a player cares. I don’t really see t that way. Some people are really in control of their emotions than others. Some people are more stoic than others. These players all have different life experiences which may fuel their reactions and perspectives.

I hope they all can take pride in their silver one day.

Comment

• Re: 2018 Canada's Olympic Women's Hockey Team

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        I hope they all can take pride in their silver one day.
        I once, in 2000, got to hold either Jennifer Botterill's or Sami Jo Small's silver medal from Nagano. Didn't strike me as though either one had any shame when they were passing them around. And the concept of shame didn't seem to be one that was crossing the minds of those who actually got to hold one of those medals.

More like awe.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          Look at Olympic news coverage from countries around the world. The consensus was universal that Canada gave themselves a black eye internationally for their disrespectful attitude.
          I'm perfectly comfortable with the idea that people all over the world can be desperately wrong about something.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
            I'm perfectly comfortable with the idea that people all over the world can be desperately wrong about something.
            You're a stitch, that is a great answer. Like blackbeard said, in a few years she will probably look back in pride and maybe even be a bit regretful that she could not enjoy what was a great experience over all even if it didn't end the way she had hoped. We put a lot of weight on those young shoulders and they take it to heart.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              Like blackbeard said, in a few years she will probably look back in pride and maybe even be a bit regretful that she could not enjoy what was a great experience over all even if it didn't end the way she had hoped.
              Well, that didn't take long either.

An official apology: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...edal-1.4547807

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                Well, that didn't take long either.

An official apology: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...edal-1.4547807
                Now I know the name of the Canadian GM. Googled her and found her stellar NCAA coaching record compared to her Olympic team coaching record. Just shows how much harder it is to coach in the NCAA than a team of top level players. Any monkey could do that....maybe even Canada's top critic, Chaffron the Great! Lol. Nice formal apology though. I'm sure the GM and staff wrote it for her but at least it's an apology for a classless move. At least she didn't throw it into the crowd like that jerk at the World Juniors.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                  It was one player who was upset after four years of building up to this moment. She didn’t throw it she didn’t disrespect anyone. She simply took the medal off her neck after allowing the ceremonial putting of the medal by the IOC officials.
                  I’m Canadian and I have no issue with that. I would much rather see a player who is emotional and upset after losing than a player with a big smile saying : oh well we gave it our best. No one can accuse any of these players (on either team) or not giving it everything they had.

To use an expression from the news: this is a nothing burger.
                  https://***********/wick_22/status/967364170290143233

such a shame that this non-story has become a story. And shame on the team canada GM for folding so easily and forcing her to make a public apology when she was already getting murdered by media, strangers, randos.

tessa bonhomme on tsn radio in canada seems to think that only 3 of the defensemen on team canada could keep up with team USA and that hockey canada made mistakes with the roster with respect to the defence. i do not know if she still has an ax to grind over team canada for cutting her early in 2014 forcing her into retirement. Probably.

even though micah hart may be technically worse than ambrose and krzyzaniak, she looked like she cared and had great compete level all the time. ANd it is not like she was that much worse. Arguably, one can say she was not worse than those two. Maybe a smidge. But i would take her over them.
                  Last edited by Chaffron; 02-24-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Should/will Hockey Canada consider Clarkson HC Matt Desrosiers as its National Team coach?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Should/will Hockey Canada consider Clarkson HC Matt Desrosiers as its National Team coach?
                      He is building quite the resume.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

They may as well consider the whole Clarkson team the Canadian National Team, they are nearly 75% Canadian! Not a knock....just a fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
                          They may as well consider the whole Clarkson team the Canadian National Team, they are nearly 75% Canadian! Not a knock....just a fact.
                          Try more like 90%. And 75% of Colgate.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
                            Try more like 90%. And 75% of Colgate.
                            To be fair, Clarkson is much closer to Canada than the majority of places hockey is regularly played in the US. Colgate is close to that too. If I lived in Toronto or Quebec I probably would have been happy to have my kid play at one of those because it would increase the chances we'd get to see her games.

This was different 50-60 years ago when US boys were ignored in favor of Canadian talent. Then I think it was important to have a US first mindset even if it meant not winning as often. That attitude helped convince US boys they could play after high school & increased the talent pool a lot. Girls hockey has plenty of opportunities for kids from all over the world so nation of birth is less important (IMO)
                            Last edited by ne7minder; 03-20-2018, 05:25 PM. Reason: or, not of

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                              To be fair, Clarkson is much closer to Canada than the majority of places hockey is regularly played in the US. Colgate is close to that too. If I lived in Toronto of Quebec I probably would have been happy to have my kid play at one of those because it would increase the chances we'd get to see her games.
                              I think that does play significantly in their decisions.

When I covered the 2014 women's Frozen Four, and thus the Patty Kaz award when Jamie Rattray won, I interviewed her mother. Her mother told me about the whole recruiting process and decision making. It came down to two schools at the end -- Clarkson and Minnesota. Her mother told me she said to her daughter, "The decision is up to you, but remember, if you go to Clarkson, I can see all your games."

The rest, as they say, is history.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                I think that does play significantly in their decisions.

When I covered the 2014 women's Frozen Four, and thus the Patty Kaz award when Jamie Rattray won, I interviewed her mother. Her mother told me about the whole recruiting process and decision making. It came down to two schools at the end -- Clarkson and Minnesota. Her mother told me she said to her daughter, "The decision is up to you, but remember, if you go to Clarkson, I can see all your games."

The rest, as they say, is history.
                                Frost mentioned that story once. He talked about how how disappointed he was but that he understood that choice. It worked ok for MN and for Rattray.

Comment

Working...
                                X