X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears 2017/18, Red dawn

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    I remember going to those games as a youngster, it was great.

Unfortunately, the NCAA now starts the baseball season much earlier, and doesn't have a true Northeast regional anymore. That used to guarantee a New England/New York team a trip to Omaha. Not the levelest playing field if your diamond is under snow until late March.
    (Or into May, FCS!)

Stiil, the current system is much more objective in a statistical sense, but much less fun if you're a Maine fan, or a baseball fan of any other NE team.

As you indicated, the Northeast hasn't had a true baseball Regional in a long time. That circumstance makes sense, but it was fun to see a Maine (or even a Le Moyne) in the CWS, and those teams sometimes made a splash. Heck, Maine finished 3rd in the field one year, and easily could have played in the NC game a couple of times.

Those were the days for baseball in Orono. As one former standout jock said recently: "If you were good at football, you went to BC, and if you were good at baseball, you went to Maine".
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-23-2018, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Are there many state flagship schools that aren’t DI? I think it would be a really bad look for the school, especially where they are getting more kids from out of state.
      Guess we'll see, but how much worse could Maine athletics look than it does right now? I'd love to see them be able to pick and choose where they spend the money.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
        I'm a younger guy. Compared to Wally, anyway!
        Yeah keep thinking that, AARP is knocking on your door also

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          I'd be fine with Maine only going D-1 in selected sports, a la RPI, Clarkson and St. Lawrence, though... It strikes me as a great solution to many schools' money-problems vs. being obliged to go D-1 across the board in all sports.
          Schools are no longer allowed to played up in one sport. DII hockey is allowed to since the NCAA doesn't sponser a DII championship. I'm not sure if there are other DII sports in the same situation.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            (Or into May, FCS!)

Stiil, the current system is much more objective in a statistical sense, but much less fun, if you're a Maine fan, or a baseball fan of any other NE team.

As you indicated, the Northeast hasn't had a true baseball Regional in a long time. That circumstance makes sense, but it was fun to see a Maine (or even a Le Moyne) in the CWS, and those teams sometimes made a splash. Heck, Maine finished 3rd in the field one year, and easily could have played in the NC game a couple of times.

Those were the days for baseball in Orono. As one former standout jock said recently: "If you were good at football, you went to BC, and if you were good at baseball, you went to Maine".
            One relief pitcher away

Comment

Is anyone thinking about how bad we are going to lose tonight, or was last week a fluke and Red has them right where they need to be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Didn’t football’s best player just transfer?
                Yeah, he transferrd to a JUCO program because no FBS program wants to touch him with a 10 foot poll due to poor academic standing.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                  If you were to start a UMaine athletic department from scratch, neither football nor baseball would likely be included. But, both have a long history and solid donor base. Neither is going anywhere.
                  Great points! And I agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    (Or into May, FCS!)

Stiil, the current system is much more objective in a statistical sense, but much less fun if you're a Maine fan, or a baseball fan of any other NE team.

1991 NCAA Baseball Regional in Orono, Maine:

Clemson
                    Mississippi State
                    Maine
                    Villanova
                    Princeton
                    Towson

I worked it & it was an awesome baseball weekend! Even highed fived with Stephen King!

Comment

Maine should continue to take as many penalties as it can

Comment

Is the sound from the ESPN3 announcers almost nonexistence? Or is it my lousy connection?
                        Thought BC could afford better.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          One relief pitcher away

Sh1t, i guess...

I still lose a little sleep when I remember that Arizona game. Was it an 8-1 lead Maine blew in the bottom of the 9th? I swear to God my old Grammie from Fairfield could have gotten out of that inning allowing maybe 3 runs, and posting the save.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            Sh1t, i guess...

I still lose a little sleep when I remember that Arizona game. Was it an 8-1 lead Maine blew in the bottom of the 9th? I swear to God my old Grammie from Fairfield could have gotten out of that inning allowing maybe 3 runs, and posting the save.
                            One thing Winkin wasn't great at, relief pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                              Is the sound from the ESPN3 announcers almost nonexistence? Or is it my lousy connection?
                              Thought BC could afford better.
                              No announcers

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                                Yeah, he transferrd to a JUCO program because no FBS program wants to touch him with a 10 foot poll due to poor academic standing.
                                Is that what happened? I just assumed that he went to a FBS gig to get more exposure; he was a complete stud at the FCS level.

Comment

Working...
                                X