X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears 2017/18, Red dawn

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    The university can't stay all that silent on the matter. Red and Ben have to be able to reassure recruits that it isn't a lame duck coaching staff. When that word gets out to recruits and their "advisors" word would circulate pretty quickly. If they start offering those assurances and the school hasn't given him an extension then we have a nightmare on our hands. The university HAS to say something soon, and I expect word will come from the school soon. If I had to guess, the department wants to give the women's basketball team this week of publicity heading into the NCAA tournament and news will come Monday or Tuesday next week.

As for the special teams numbers, I can put those together probably tonight and post tomorrow, if no one beats me to it.
    Honestly though, how many recruiters and or assistants have Ben's track record? They have a fairly fresh out of nfl power forward that has play different levels in his own game. I understand he was defensive forward in nhl, but he played in front of nhl contenders. Great nhl teams in Colorado. Also was a huge presence for Maine in our down scholarship years and he helped us win big time.

Ben is a huge asset for Maine hockey. And Alfie is too. I liked listening to last coaching show. You all should. It shows top to bottom, whatever we have they love Maine hockey!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      Honestly, I am beginning to see that Ben and Alfie are the difference makers. Where their respective roles lie they are kicking it. It wouldn't be the end of the world to see a one year extension and Red to hand over reigns to Ben and also recruit a great former defensemen for Maine as assistant to Ben. I think this would be outstanding. I have nothing against Red, but I do not like how Maine has finished lately in the last ten of the season.
      You're assuming the next AD would be willing to let Red make that call. I don't think it would happen. With all respect to Red, he hasn't come close to earning it. No coach could in five seasons. If the new AD wants to put a stamp on the department there would be few better ways to do it than hiring the next hockey coach.

Comment

Thanks to the stats tool over at College Hockey Inc I got the numbers faster than I thought. The first two weekends (UConn 33.3%) and Miami (70%) skewed the numbers for the entire season. Starting with the UMD weekend and going through the regular season, Maine was 81.5% on the penalty kill, 29th in the nation. Over the last 12 regular season games, Maine killed at an 86.3% clip, good for 15th. That was good enough for 4th in Hockey East.

In the playoffs, Maine fell back to 69.2%

Comment

The million dollar question facing us is whether Red Gendron deserves an extension to his contract. I think it is already done. The athletics department handled the musical chairs among the basketball coaches very well and kept both Amy Vachon and Richard Barron. I would hate to think the department is now fumbling a position as important as men's ice hockey coach. If the coach wasn't going to be extended I would expect the school to do as Merrimack did this weekend and cut ties with Red. Therefore I expect an announcement of a two-year extension in the coming days. The alternative is that the athletics department is either in disarray or no longer considers hockey a priority and is content to let recruits, fans and Red himself twist in the wind while a decision is reached. In the past I would consider that, but given the momentum of recent weeks I am willing to believe in the athletics department.
          Very to-the-point and factual post. Really nice work. Actual facts!

But, my question is this: How is extending Red going to help at this juncture?

I see two possible outcomes, depending on what side of the fence you're on:

1. Red's incoming recruits will help get Maine to the NCAA's, in which case I could live with an extension, after the coming season.

2. Red gets extended before the fact, and has another lousy season, in which case Maine has wasted more time and money.

In the first case, the program has a chance going forward, but in the second case we're looking at a self-inflicted buyout that Maine can't afford, or another two years of digging a deeper hole.

What, really, is there to lose by giving Red just one (more) make-or-break season? It ain't like we're going anywhere soon, anyway...

I don't see the point in Maine tying its hands in this context. The worst possible outcome would be to throw more money down a rat-hole on a Red extension, and still be looking at a re-build after eating what's left of his contract, once he's fired. Maine has already been down that road.
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-14-2018, 09:26 PM.

Comment

You're assuming the next AD would be willing to let Red make that call. I don't think it would happen. With all respect to Red, he hasn't come close to earning it. No coach could in five seasons. If the new AD wants to put a stamp on the department there would be few better ways to do it than hiring the next hockey coach.
            Looks like new AD new head coach.

My wish is instead of buying out Reds contract. Ben is promoted. And Red takes role as lead assistant, like Standbrook did. Maybe Red is more like Standbrook? Not a bad trait. In some ways it makes a ton of sense. Just pay that money lost and give to Red as assistant? And let Red win on a different level. He can groom Ben and Alfie. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

1. Red's incoming recruits will help get Maine to the NCAA's, in which case I could live with an extension.

2. Red gets extended before the fact, and has another lousy season.

In the first case, the program has a chance going forward, but in the second case we're looking at a self-inflicted buyout that Maine can't afford, or another two years of digging a deeper hole.

What, really, is there to lose by giving Red one (more) make-or-break season? It ain't like we're going anywhere soon, anyway...

I don't see the point in Maine tying its hands in this context. The worst possible outcome would be to throw more money down a rat-hole on a Red extension, and still be looking at a re-build after eating what's left of his contract, once he's fired. Maine has already been down that road.
              What to do with Red? See my thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

1. Red's incoming recruits will help get Maine to the NCAA's, in which case I could live with an extension, after the coming season.

2. Red gets extended before the fact, and has another lousy season, in which case Maine has wasted more time and money.

What, really, is there to lose by giving Red just one (more) make-or-break season? It ain't like we're going anywhere soon, anyway...

Looking at it from the school's perspective, giving Red an extension settles things down. Right now UMaine is in the final steps of hiring a new president. Their first job is going to be hiring a new athletics director. Hiring a new hockey coach in this environment would be chaos. Who would make that decision? How long would it take? Would you buy out Red and keep Ben? On an interim basis? Make him permanent? Dismissing Red right now causes far more problems than it solves. A one-year extension would be ideal for the school as it kicks the can down the road 12 months. Maybe it will happen, but I see it being two years. Don't forget that (for reasons passing understanding) the school wants to host a regional in Portland. Uncertainty in the coaching position may not hurt chances, but it certainly won't help.

Comment

Looking at it from the school's perspective, giving Red an extension settles things down. Right now UMaine is in the final steps of hiring a new president. Their first job is going to be hiring a new athletics director. Hiring a new hockey coach in this environment would be chaos. Who would make that decision? How long would it take? Would you buy out Red and keep Ben? On an interim basis? Make him permanent? Dismissing Red right now causes far more problems than it solves. A one-year extension would be ideal for the school as it kicks the can down the road 12 months. Maybe it will happen, but I see it being two years. Don't forget that (for reasons passing understanding) the school wants to host a regional in Portland. Uncertainty in the coaching position may not hurt chances, but it certainly won't help.
                  Is hosting in Portland a true thing? Are we guaranteed?

Comment

Why is Jason Mansoff not putting his name in now? He is the smartest defensemen Maine has ever had. He would be a great coach.

Comment

My wish is Mansoff coaches. He can turn this team around. FACT!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                        Is hosting in Portland a true thing? Are we guaranteed?
                        The school put in bids for 2019 and 2020. We'll find out about 2019 this spring.

Comment

Working...
                        X