X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears 2017/18, Red dawn

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
    Didnt Cosgrove just go to Colby? I suppose he has a contract.
    Yes, he's at Colby. He had an opportunity to be AD before Kreech was hired. Jack is a football coach and that's what he wants to do. He has the personality to be a very good AD if he so chose.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
      Good. Maybe the next AD seeing he already is signed for next season will tell RG that to get a extension then this is a make or break season {2018-19} to prove worthy of another extension. What has changed in Maine Hockey? The defenseman are still a liability, the forwards have no true goal scorers that can finish...what has changed is they have someone in net {Swayman} that has made a difference and is solid and more or less a foundation piece. They have a winning record but take away Swayman and insert McGovern over the season and Maine would have 8,9 maybe 10 wins and a 10th/11th place finish in Hockey East.
      Agreed, but a dumpster-fire could be averted if they name Guite interim coach... (And I would guess that Ben and Alfie could keep most of the recruits on-board in that case, to address Wally's post.)

Anyone besides me still wonder what Maine might be like right now if Jimmy or Corkum had been hired to succeed Tim? Or even Gwozdecky? There were certainly better on-paper options than Red at that time.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-19-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Agreed, but a dumpster-fire could be averted if they name Guite interim coach... (And I would guess that Ben and Alfie could keep most of the recruits on-board in that case, to address Wally's post.)

Anyone besides me still wonder what Maine might be like right now if Jimmy or Corkum had been hired to succeed Tim? Or even Gwozdecky? There were certainly better on-paper options than Red at that time.
        Well, Gwozdecky seemed to more or less go for comfortable retirement ready going to high school hockey.

Is Corkum coaching this year. I thought he was on Islanders.

Don't think we will ever see Jimmy given where he is now with Denver. But yes I think often, too often... need to not.

My guess is that since program went 6th, 9th, 11th, 11th, now 6th ish it is considered adequate and on an uptick. So I would assume Maine would extend Red. I really think it might work out over a couple more seasons, it is just taking longer than I thought. Or maybe it doesn't go up at all.

For a dreamer pick as fan(not sure it is realistic)... I would love Red to transition to AD to get himself off a hot seat and have a little stability while still helping manage hockey. And hire Jack Capuano, and give Guite and Alfie more time to gain experience. I think Guite and Alfie are great, but maybe need more experience in order to handle that job. Capuano is interesting given his NHL resume and he is a defensemen. I assume his strength could be coaching defense. I assume he made a lot of money in NHL and might enjoy coaching Maine. Or maybe I should say I would love to hear he is interested someday after Red retires.

Edit: Confirmed he's coaching defense for panthers. "Capuano, 50, a native of Cranston, R.I., is expected to be in charge of the defense and penalty kill, which was ranked second in the NHL last season under Allen’s watch."
        Last edited by BlackI; 02-19-2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Do you guys really follow the UM athletic dept? Lynn Coutts or Richard Barron will be the next AD. Hiring a new mens basketball coach is a much more pressing issue for the dept. right now.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
            Do you guys really follow the UM athletic dept? Lynn Coutts or Richard Barron will be the next AD. Hiring a new mens basketball coach is a much more pressing issue for the dept. right now.
            Interesting, could very likely happen.

Comment

Barron would be great if he's interested in making that transition. Probably the best coach the U has hired in the last 15-20 years

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Probably. I haven't seen Maine hoops this bad since I've existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  Probably. I haven't seen Maine hoops this bad since I've existed.
                  You are a fan since 77, give us your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                    You are a fan since 77, give us your advice.
                    Scrap the program? Men's bball is going to be a tough sell in Orono. The current coach recruited well but for whatever reason they all left. Not sure why? But I would guess Orono.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Scrap the program? Men's bball is going to be a tough sell in Orono. The current coach recruited well but for whatever reason they all left. Not sure why? But I would guess Orono.

Yet, the football program retains student athletes for 4/5 years from up & down the East Coast. My guess...the coach.

Comment

Yet, the football program retains student athletes for 4/5 years from up & down the East Coast. My guess...the coach.
                        What does he left on contract

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                          Didn’t football’s best player just transfer?
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

1) Scrap football
                            2) Replace it with lacrosse (America East)
                            3) Reinvest the savings in recruiting across all sports.

Comment

Anyone who thinks football goes away is crazy. The only way it goes away is the whole athletic dept goes away.

Comment

Well there's 350 D1 men's basketball teams in the country and 252 D1 football teams, 128 bowl and 124 FCS like Maine. So there's a lot more places to bail to for the hoop kids. Not to mention monstrous differences in the culture of both sports and how hoop kids grow up, play travel ball, etc.

I'm not sold on the coach but its not all him. Question is would basketball produce revenue if it was good? Ehhhhh

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X