Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2018.1 The off season

Originally posted by burd View Post
    I know about the state action requirements of con law. We all know they have the right. But don't do it in the name of patriotism. It's far from that.

The NFL had a chance here and failed miserably.
    I have stated that, and am agreeing with you. For the people who are yelling about "free speech," that does not apply here.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      And the NBA hasn't enforced that rule, that I know of. How the NFL handled this is ridiculous, and how any non-mouth-breather thinks it's to disrespect the anthem is also ludicrous. The issue is that the players ARE turning viewers and fans off of the message they are trying to send. It's doing more harm than good.

I admit, I'm in the camp of "Hey, stand for two minutes out of respect for our country and anthem, and I support you sending a message in another fashion, one that would be more productive."
      And the NBA hasn't enforced that rule, that I know of.
      Not that I watch any NBA games but I've never heard of anyone kneeling or doing anything but standing in place during the national anthem.
      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I have stated that, and am agreeing with you. For the people who are yelling about "free speech," that does not apply here.
        I’m one of those who believes that free speech is part of the discussion here, not as a first amendment right but as a value. It is a first amendment right (when there is state action) because it has great value.

Comment

It's not a free speech issue in the legal sense. But corporations and employers definitely trample on free speech, albeit legally.

Saying, "it's not a free speech issue", is sorta right in the sense that the first amendment simply means the government can't deny your free speech but a company you work for can. But it doesn't mean the company isn't denying you the opportunity to say something you would've otherwise.
          Last edited by trixR4kids; 05-25-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
            Not that I watch any NBA games but I've never heard of anyone kneeling or doing anything but standing in place during the national anthem.

I don't follow the NBA either, but about a decade or so ago there was a Muslim player for the Nuggets who did the same thing. He was also blackballed from the league
            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by jericho View Post
              I don't follow the NBA either, but about a decade or so ago there was a Muslim player for the Nuggets who did the same thing. He was also blackballed from the league
              Nuggets yes?
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                Had to Google it,

On March 12, 1996, the NBA suspended Abdul-Rauf for one game, citing a rule that players must line up in a “dignified posture” for the anthem. It cost him almost $32,000 of his $2.6 million salary. The players union supported Abdul-Rauf, and he quickly reached a compromise with the league that allowed him to stand and pray with his head down during the anthem. But at the end of the season, the Nuggets traded Abdul-Rauf, who averaged a team-high 19.2 points and 6.8 assists, to the Sacramento Kings.
                https://theundefeated.com/features/a...tional-anthem/
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Thanks, Handyman. I wasn't aware of the backstory on how sitting evolved into kneeling. The discussion between the Marine and Kaepernick is really outstanding. What a shame that the public conversation never approached this level.
                  Last edited by Berkshire BU Fan; 05-25-2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                    It's not a free speech issue in the legal sense. But corporations and employers definitely trample on free speech, albeit legally.

Saying, "it's not a free speech issue", is sorta right in the sense that the first amendment simply means the government can't deny your free speech but a company you work for can. But it doesn't mean the company isn't denying you the opportunity to say something you would've otherwise.
                    The company isn't denying you can say whatever, but it can take action against you.

Ok, this board, USCHO, has terms and conditions of being a member. If I start spouting off that "All n* (you know the rest) should die!" Well, I have free speech protection, yes? Nope. USCHO can ban me. The NFL has those same terms and conditions, as agreed upon in contract with the NFLPA.

NOTE: I do NOT believe that all n* should die, using it as an example in this situation.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

NOTE: I do NOT believe that all n* should die, using it as an example in this situation.
                      I agree, North Country fans are annoying as hell but I don't wish ill well on them.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                        I agree, North Country fans are annoying as hell but I don't wish ill well on them.
                        North Country where? Us ECAC fans think of that as Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Essex, Franklin, Clinton and Lewis counties in NY.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          The company isn't denying you can say whatever, but it can take action against you.

Ok, this board, USCHO, has terms and conditions of being a member. If I start spouting off that "All n* (you know the rest) should die!" Well, I have free speech protection, yes? Nope. USCHO can ban me. The NFL has those same terms and conditions, as agreed upon in contract with the NFLPA.

Well yeah... the person can choose to say whatever and the company can choose to take action against those who exercise their first amendment rights. Thus essentially denying free speech.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                            Well yeah... the person can choose to say whatever and the company can choose to take action against those who exercise their first amendment rights. Thus essentially denying free speech.
                            I think you're getting it. The free speech laws do not apply here, despite what some say here and elsewhere.

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

That’s exactly what this whole thing is about. Putting a bunch of uppity black people back in their place.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X