Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2018.1 The off season

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I think half the time they are doing it just to be "part of it" and say "look at me" but this BS that it is somehow an insult to the Flag or veterans is so ridiculous it hurts my head. The NFL pretending they care about any of that anyways is the biggest joke of all time they insult the Flag all the friggin time.
    Speaking of, some of the Comments on this story are glorious.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My understanding of the new NFL National Anthem rule is that if a player takes a knee before the game the batter is automatically out and all other runners advance at their own risk. And now a word from Budweiser.
      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

It shouldn't surprise that we get this moronic chickenshyt rule at a time when we have a chickenshyt moron as president.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
          It shouldn't surprise that we get this moronic chickenshyt rule at a time when we have a chickenshyt moron as president.
          Apparently, according to ESPN, there wasn't a formal vote, just a consensus. Sounds like if the PR and sponsor feedback is negative, they hold a formal vote and adopt common sense.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Every player should get a picture of them taking a knee and hold it up during the anthem when the camera is on them. That does not violate the rules!

Still makes me laugh that the league does everything it can to look the other way when their players are abusing drugs and beating women (unless there is video of course) but dare to not think a pretty awful piece of music is sacrosanct and TO HELL WITH YOU GIVE ME YER MONEYZ!!!!1! All because they dont want to upset Bud Light who makes their money on the back of the Cletuses who voted for Trump.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
              They do have a rule.

“We have a rule that requires our players to stand for the anthem,” Silver said Thursday. “It’s been our rule for as long as I’ve been involved with the league, and my expectation is that our players will continue to stand for the anthem.”

That rule has been in place for decades, and was originally intended to ensure players weren’t shooting or stretching while the anthem was being played before a game. But in the current climate, it comes under greater scrutiny.

In addition to reminding teams about the rule, the memo also stated that teams don’t have discretion to waive the rule, and that the league office “will determine how to deal with any possible instance in which a player, coach or trainer does not stand for the anthem.”
              And the NBA hasn't enforced that rule, that I know of. How the NFL handled this is ridiculous, and how any non-mouth-breather thinks it's to disrespect the anthem is also ludicrous. The issue is that the players ARE turning viewers and fans off of the message they are trying to send. It's doing more harm than good.

I admit, I'm in the camp of "Hey, stand for two minutes out of respect for our country and anthem, and I support you sending a message in another fashion, one that would be more productive."
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                And the NBA hasn't enforced that rule, that I know of. How the NFL handled this is ridiculous, and how any non-mouth-breather thinks it's to disrespect the anthem is also ludicrous. The issue is that the players ARE turning viewers and fans off of the message they are trying to send. It's doing more harm than good.

I admit, I'm in the camp of "Hey, stand for two minutes out of respect for our country and anthem, and I support you sending a message in another fashion, one that would be more productive."
                The three and a half hour games and having them scheduled what feels like every day turns viewers off a LOT more than whether Joe Fat*** sees players standing at attention while he's grabbing beers and snacks out of the fridge while it plays.
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                  The three and a half hour games and having them scheduled what feels like every day turns viewers off a LOT more than whether Joe Fat*** sees players standing at attention while he's grabbing beers and snacks out of the fridge while it plays.
                  I never said the fans are turning away the sport. I said the fans are turning away the message the kneelers are trying to send. BIG difference.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Flag and anthem are symbols--only that.

To most, free and vigorous political speech is an important part of what they symbolize. To the NFL, its money--nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Flag and anthem are symbols--only that.

To most, free and vigorous political speech is an important part of what they symbolize. To the NFL, its money--nothing more.
                      And the NFL, being a private league, is NOT stifling free speech. They are making decisions that they think will help them make money. Protest in front of your boss when you're on the clock, at your workplace, see how far that gets you.

Comment

They are stifling free speech, it just happens to be legal.

The whiny right wing knucks who whine about college students will be jumping to defend the players I’m sure.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post

The whiny right wing knucks who whine about college students will be jumping to defend the players I’m sure.
                          If you spout (whatever) on this board, and it breaks the rules, you are suspended or banned. It's not a free speech territory. By joining the NFL, you agree to their terms, period. You can re-negotiate, when the players' contract is up, sure, but there are still rules in place.

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post

You right to protest cannot be prosecuted. However, you may be persecuted.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              You right to protest cannot be prosecuted. However, you may be persecuted.
                              Being fined or fired is not the same as being arrested and taken to court
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                And the NFL, being a private league, is NOT stifling free speech. They are making decisions that they think will help them make money. Protest in front of your boss when you're on the clock, at your workplace, see how far that gets you.
                                I know about the state action requirements of con law. We all know they have the right. But don't do it in the name of patriotism. It's far from that.

The NFL had a chance here and failed miserably.

Comment

Working...
                                X