Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2018.1 The off season

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I know this is at least partially in jest, but increased ticket prices with flat wage growth of their fans, when taken over many years and adjusted for inflation, is killing the NFL.
    Plus bad/divisive PR from CTE, high profile criminal issues, team owners being ******canoes, and the anthem kerfuffle.

But yeah, all that avocado toast is our problem, dad gummit!
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
      That coupled with the improvement and decreasing cost of the at-home experience. You can get a pretty nice new 65" TV for the same price as taking the family to one game.
      Many years ago, a friend of mine once said, and I agreed with him then and more so now, that of any sport where you lose the least going from an in person experience to an at home experience, it's football.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Many years ago, a friend of mine once said, and I agreed with him then and more so now, that of any sport where you lose the least going from an in person experience to an at home experience, it's football.
        I still think there will come a day when most sports cater too much to the tv audiences to the detriment of the live experience. Football is already there, in my opinion. Hockey is getting there with the tv timeouts interrupting the game unnecessarily. Baseball's between innings breaks keep getting longer. Basketball's too.

Honestly one of the reasons I've gotten into soccer is the lack of tv timeouts. 45 minutes, 15 minute halftime, 45 minutes, call it a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          In-person NFL is horrid, b/c of the TV timeouts.
          Baseball is slow enough where it doesn't really matter.
          Hockey minimizes the timeouts, so it's cool. Plus, no-TV-timeout OTs.

Then, of course, the price of tickets.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
            I still think there will come a day when most sports cater too much to the tv audiences to the detriment of the live experience. Football is already there, in my opinion. Hockey is getting there with the tv timeouts interrupting the game unnecessarily. Baseball's between innings breaks keep getting longer. Basketball's too.

Honestly one of the reasons I've gotten into soccer is the lack of tv timeouts. 45 minutes, 15 minute halftime, 45 minutes, call it a game.
            BU has been instituting tv timeouts when there isn’t tv
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              In-person NFL is horrid, b/c of the TV timeouts.
              Baseball is slow enough where it doesn't really matter.
              Hockey minimizes the timeouts, so it's cool. Plus, no-TV-timeout OTs.

Then, of course, the price of tickets.
              I was at the Twins game this past Sunday with my future in-laws. My fiancée's BIL bought two burgers, two hot dogs, two of the "small" pops, and two beers. $70. At $20/ticket in the RF bleachers, he spent $150, and that was by the end of the first inning. It's a lot of money for just a few hours of entertainment.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                If you're talking about the NFL I would say the experience is GREATLY improved being at home.

College sports lose the most by not being there. Among the pro sports, baseball is the one that loses the most for me. I have never been to an NBA game.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  I was at the Twins game this past Sunday with my future in-laws. My fiancée's BIL bought two burgers, two hot dogs, two of the "small" pops, and two beers. $70. At $20/ticket in the RF bleachers, he spent $150, and that was by the end of the first inning. It's a lot of money for just a few hours of entertainment.
                  That’s what makes 5hr Red Sox yankees games economical
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    If you're talking about the NFL I would say the experience is GREATLY improved being at home.

College sports lose the most by not being there. Among the pro sports, baseball is the one that loses the most for me. I have never been to an NBA game.
                    You and I have similar thoughts on live sports. If I can’t be there, I’d rather listen to baseball on the radio.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      You and I have similar thoughts on live sports. If I can’t be there, I’d rather listen to baseball on the radio.
                      I'd say baseball is the best radio sport.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'd say baseball is the best radio sport.
                        If baseball were a 10 and dressage were a 1, I think the only thing above a 6 or 7 would depend on the radio announcer rather than the sport. Mike Grimm does the Gopher football and basketball games. He’s an absolute treat to listen to.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          If baseball were a 10 and dressage were a 1, I think the only thing above a 6 or 7 would depend on the radio announcer rather than the sport. Mike Grimm does the Gopher football and basketball games. He’s an absolute treat to listen to.
                          Radio completely depends on the PBP. Being a Mets fan has been... well, a trial... but made significantly better by a succession of truly great PBP men.

Bob Murphy, my favorite baseball announcer of all time, would say very little. He wasn't afraid to let us listen to the ballpark sounds. He understood you weren't there for him.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            BU has been instituting tv timeouts when there isn’t tv
                            So does RIT.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I would say the single best live sports experience I have ever had is sitting courtside at an NBA game. Sitting on the glass at a hockey game is cool and a little better than being up in the stands, but it's pretty much the same experience no mater where you are. Same for the NFL, nose bleeds or sideline, the in stadium experience isn't THAT different. Courtside for an NBA game is an entirely different experience than even being 10 rows up. Being at the same level as the players what you watch and how it feels is so different than it is when you're looking down at them.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                                I would say the single best live sports experience I have ever had is sitting courtside at an NBA game. Sitting on the glass at a hockey game is cool and a little better than being up in the stands, but it's pretty much the same experience no mater where you are. Same for the NFL, nose bleeds or sideline, the in stadium experience isn't THAT different. Courtside for an NBA game is an entirely different experience than even being 10 rows up. Being at the same level as the players what you watch and how it feels is so different than it is when you're looking down at them.
                                I hate being on the glass for a hockey game, and would much rather be up high to see the plays develop.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X