This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
    WH says they learned of the abuse Thursday. Did you guys vet anybody who you hired to come work for you?

And for you Republicans and not-Republican libertarians out there: These are the guys you want in charge of determining whether some foreign immigrant is ok to be allowed to enter the country?
    They can’t get “basic vetting” right, let alone “extreme vetting.”

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45: 28 - Yo Memo So Stupid, Donald Renamed it "Eric"

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Super cringey
      No. The point of Brent's joke, as I read it, is gallows humor decrying the whole mindset of the abuser and his excusers.

I don't want to believe Bill Maher is right about youngins as a generation being so fragile they don't even comprehend satire anymore. Please, please I want to be right.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        No. The point of Brent's joke, as I read it, is gallows humor decrying the whole mindset of the abuser and his excusers.

I don't want to believe Bill Maher is right about youngins as a generation being so fragile they don't even comprehend satire anymore. Please, please I want to be right.
        And when satire, irony, or sarcasm requires an emoticon to be effective, we have lost something, IMO. A rather big something.

Comment

There are two types of people in this world: those who laugh at the Aristocrats joke, and those who don't. I am of the former. If you are unfamiliar with the joke, feel free to google it (Gilbert Gottfried, Bob Saget, and South Park are my top 3 versions). Be warned, it is widely considered to be the most obscene joke ever told.

Edit: there are MANY lines crossed in any version of the joke.

Double edit: Mel Brooks showed that rape jokes can be funny (Blazing Saddles).
          Last edited by The Rube; 02-10-2018, 01:57 PM.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

There’s a time and a place. A woman shares a picture of her black eye from her ex-husband 48 hours ago. You don’t follow that up with, “Well she should have listened better.”

Sorry. It has little to with fragility and more to do with taste and class.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I think it has to do with not having a stick shoved up somewhere.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                There’s a time and a place. A woman shares a picture of her black eye from her ex-husband 48 hours ago. You don’t follow that up with, “Well she should have listened better.”

Sorry. It has little to with fragility and more to do with taste and class.
                No, that is a serious mistake and it provokes the joke "how many liberals does it take to change a light bulb?"

Humor is one of our best weapons to expose the brutality of the right. If it bugs you don't employ it but dial back the sanctimony. Leave that to pols and pundits and professors and other cultural authoritarians.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  I think it has to do with not having a stick shoved up somewhere.
                  To be fair, it isn't in a vacuum. "Conservatives" habitually use "political incorrectness" as a fig leaf to hide their hamfisted hurr-durr-itude.

Your joke was fine as satire; your motives deserve healthy skepticism.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    To be fair, it isn't in a vacuum. "Conservatives" habitually use "political incorrectness" as a fig leaf to hide their hamfisted hurr-durr-itude.

Your joke was fine as satire; your motives deserve healthy skepticism.
                    My motives are to draw out some laughter, and sometimes it makes people feel uncomfortable to laugh (and think: why am I laughing at this joke that is SO wrong). The fact that it is SO wrong and ridonkulous is oftentimes why it's funny.

Anecdote: many years ago, a friend's grandpa passed away. He was put in the hospital for pneumonia. Then he had a heart attack. Then he had a SECOND heart attack, and that's what did him in.

I said to my friend, he got the pneumonia, and said to God, "Meh, whatever." 1st heart attack, Grandpa got mad and said to God, "That's all you got?" And then the 2nd heart attack, Grandpa said to God, "Ok, ya got me. Good game."

My friend laughed his arse off, because that is EXACTLY what his Grandpa's personality was like. It was a morbid joke, obviously, but it touched on some truth and made my friend remember his grandpa for what he was: a tough ol' SOB, and gave him some joy in remembrance of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                      It turns out it's all Hope Hicks' fault: https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/961995144340869120
                      Burning all of his bridges, as usual. Another easy and willing participant in the Mueller investigation.

For a criminal, Trump is a fcking idiot.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Burning all of his bridges, as usual. Another easy and willing participant in the Mueller investigation.

This is going to end like the series finale of Seinfeld, isn't it? A parade of people to the witness stand all making sure he goes to jail.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

It’s all he’s ever been. Narcissism, a lifetime of habit, and old age have petrified him. That’s just part of why he is desperate for 1950s America.

Returning him to 1955 as a young black child in the projects (or better yet, a Montgomery slum) would fulfill his karmic destiny.
                          Last edited by burd; 02-10-2018, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            It’s all he’s ever been. Narcissism, a lifetime of habit, and old age have petrified him. That’s just part of why he is desperate for 1950s America.
                            Ding. He cannot, or will not, adapt.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              Some things aren’t funny
                              Jesus Jerry Seinfeld makes more offensive jokes than that...

The Left needs to learn to have a sense of humor.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                A lot of things aren’t funny, but few things should be off limits.

It’s pretty clear Brent was not condoning abuse. Speech that offends is often an effective form of advocacy.
                                This.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X