Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Regional Rankings

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    I am not a fan of the post season tournament determining the AQ. It seems to me that the reg season champ should get the bid. However, the conferences want to keep everybody interested in the season, even if they aren't contending for the RS title. Some leagues give some meaning to the RS by not letting everyone into the playoffs - SUNAC takes the top 6, MIAC takes the top 5. NESCAC takes the top 8 (which to me is digging pretty deep). Conferences want their season ending tournament and they want the title to mean something, so they decided that whoever wins this gets to play in the NCAAs. This isn't unique to hockey. The only sport where it really doesn't work this way is football because there are no tournaments.
    You want the best team to represent your conference at that time of the year. The conference tournament rewards that. The teams that are really good throughout the whole year have an at-large opportunity.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      You want the best team to represent your conference at that time of the year. The conference tournament rewards that. The teams that are really good throughout the whole year have an at-large opportunity.
      I was just going to say that. If they really are a top team that gets knocked off, they should get a C bid.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

In reality there shouldn't be a tournament at all. That would mean theres winners and losers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
          I was just going to say that. If they really are a top team that gets knocked off, they should get a C bid.
          Trinity agrees.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            If tournaments were best of three or even two game - three point series, I would agree. However, sometimes there's just a fluke that knocks out a good team. For example UMB knocking out Norwich a few years ago when UMB was the #8 seed (and I think they finished 9th in the 10 team ECAC East. Had Norwich had an opportunity to come back the next day and even the series up and still lost, I'd buy the argument. A one and done format breeds the opportunity for a team to get lucky.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
              But the fact remains that the upset AQ will still have displaced another, more deserving team.

Comment

operator: 9-1-1. What is your emergency?
                me: I’d like to report a high jacked thread.
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95
                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  If tournaments were best of three or even two game - three point series, I would agree. However, sometimes there's just a fluke that knocks out a good team. For example UMB knocking out Norwich a few years ago when UMB was the #8 seed (and I think they finished 9th in the 10 team ECAC East. Had Norwich had an opportunity to come back the next day and even the series up and still lost, I'd buy the argument. A one and done format breeds the opportunity for a team to get lucky.
                  It surely does. And while I prefer your proposal to what currently exists, I'd like things even better if teams eschewed conference tournaments in favor of scheduling a few more quality OOC games, which would more valuable statistical grist for the mill come selection-time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    But the fact remains that the upset AQ will still have displaced another, more deserving team.
                    You’ve gotta get over it, man.

One minute you’re saying D3 hockey is comprised of washed up 24 year olds and the next you are acting like the most emotionally vested parent ever.

And then the D3 Frozen Four goes down in your own backyard and you choose not to attend. Rather than going to watch the four best teams in the country at the end of the season, you’d rather speculate online about who you believe to be more deserving.

Comment

• Originally posted by altazo View Post
                      You’ve gotta get over it, man.

One minute you’re saying D3 hockey is comprised of washed up 24 year olds and the next you are acting like the most emotionally vested parent ever.

And then the D3 Frozen Four goes down in your own backyard and you choose not to attend. Rather than going to watch the four best teams in the country at the end of the season, you’d rather speculate online about who you believe to be more deserving.
                      It actually is about 175 miles from Lake Placid to Utica. Very little of it 4 lanes !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                        It actually is about 175 miles from Lake Placid to Utica. Very little of it 4 lanes !
                        My mistake. I was under the impression Fishman lived in Utica...

Wait, you do know the D3 Frozen Four was in Utica last year, not Lake Placid, right?
                        Last edited by altazo; 02-19-2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post

Wait, you do know the D3 Frozen Four was in Utica last year, not Lake Placid, right?
                          And, golly-gosh, I only attend games I that have an interest in seeing. Call me "weird" in that respect. I'm sure you'd fly to Minsk to see Utica play, but I wouldn't walk across the street to watch a game unless I have a rooting interest. We probably went skiing that day, and I have no regrets about that. I'm not aspiring to be crowned "D-3 Fan Boy of the Year" or anything... (Evidently, you do though, a year after the fact... Knock yourself out on that one!)

As to the rest of your "points"...

1. I'm not in any way parent -as far as I know- as if that's even remotely germane to this conversation.

2. And yes, D-3 guys are routinely passed-over by D-1, and many are 22-26... Very over-aged by general NCAA standards. (Not that I care much, but face the facts, Jack.)

Still, aside from its utter lack of content, that was one brilliant post from you, as per usual!
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-19-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post

He does live in Utica, I thought you were referring to this year..

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              And, golly-gosh, I only attend games I that have an interest in seeing. Call me "weird" in that respect. I'm sure you'd fly to Minsk to see Utica play, but I wouldn't walk across the street to watch a game unless I have a rooting interest. We probably went skiing that day, and I have no regrets about that. Not aspiring to be crowned "D-3 Fan Boy of the Year" or anything. (Evidently, you do a year after the fact. Knock yourself out!)

As to the rest of your "points"...

1. Not a parent, as if that's even remotely germane.

2. D-3 guys are routinely passed-over by D-1, and many are 22-26... Very over-age by general NCAA standards. (Not that I care much.)

Still, aside from its utter lack of content, that was one brilliant post, as per usual!

A. Why you conflated the above with my
                              Do let his comments distract you from the fact that D3 hockey doesnt use pairwise. For somebody that doesn't want to be a fanboy you sure have a hard on for why the NCAA has it all wrong.
                              Will you still post on here when Mark Emmert retires and you assume the position?

Comment

CCC claims East's top 2 spots in regional ranking #2.

Whodathunkit

Last Updated - February 20, 2018
                                RANK SCHOOL DIVISION III RECORD OVERALL RECORD
                                East Region
                                1. Salve Regina 20-4-2 20-4-2
                                2. U New England 19-4-3 19-4-3
                                2. Hobart 16-5-5 16-5-5
                                4. Oswego St. 18-5-2 18-5-2
                                5. Trinity (CT) 16-5-2 17-5-2
                                6. SUNY Geneseo 17-5-3 17-5-3
                                7. Utica 19-5-1 19-5-1
                                8. Plymouth St. 16-4-2 18-4-2
                                9. Endicott 18-5-3 18-5-3
                                10. Buffalo St. 16-6-3 16-6-3

West Region
                                1. Adrian 23-4-0 23-4-0
                                2. St. Norbert 22-4-1 22-4-1
                                3. Wis.-Stevens Point 18-4-3 18-4-3
                                4. Marian (WI) 20-6-1 20-6-1
                                5. Augsburg 16-9-0 16-9-0
                                Last edited by joecct; 02-20-2018, 12:21 PM.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X