Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Regional Rankings

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    And as I've said since the days of time, you will NEVER get the "12 best teams" with a restriction on games able to be played. Especially cross region. No KRACH system can fix that. Not with so many teams in DIII. On top of that we should probably go back to a best of 3 game series for the Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and Finals. I mean hey, if we want the "best" teams in, we better make sure the "best" team wins.

Secondly, while I semi agree that the ECAC NE was an "unworthy" conference to receive a bid, let's play devils advocate here. If I told you 10-15 years ago Lebanon Valley would finish tied for 2nd in the defunct ECAC West, UNE would be a top 5 Team in the NATION, Endicott is playing hockey, and Salve Regina is more than just a funny name to say, you would have laughed yourself to the ground. Those same ECAC NE teams/Conferences that you carried on about 10-15 years ago are now some of the best teams in DIII. If you don't think having that auto bid was a MAJOR factor in that,.......

Now before some get all upset and in an uproar, it takes MORE than having an auto bid to make a competitive team. The school has to WANT to do it. So no, the auto bid isn't the ONLY reason these teams went from the laughing stock to a competitive contender, but it has a major roll IMO. I was actually right there with you years ago as I fell DIII doesn't have the numbers to support so many weak AQ's. If every conference was like our "Power 5's" then yes. DIII has too many "weak sisters" who just putting a team on ice is an accomplishment.

The fact of the matter is, complaining on a message board and thinking your opinion matters to the NCAA gets you no where (not you in particular elbojpb). The NCAA will not change their rules for sports because hockey is "different". I'd love to see a 16 team field, AQ's and Pool C bids, 40 game seasons, 3 game series, and more cross over games. But I've come to the reality you will not change the NCAA. The coaches don't care/want it. The AD's don't care/want it. So why should we think just because we want it, we will get it? The process, while not perfect, is nearly predictable these days. There is a reason why people like Webb and Ray pretty much nail the teams every year lately. When you understand the process, accept the process, and live with the process, its not hard to see. Instead, some people would rather ***** and complain and cause more confusion when it's pretty simple to see who is in, why, and who is out, and why.

Sorry, end of rant. Cheers.
    Remy, over the years you have said plenty of stupid things on this board. This statement is not one of them
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

... If I told you 10-15 years ago Lebanon Valley would finish tied for 2nd in the defunct ECAC West, UNE would be a top 5 Team in the NATION, Endicott is playing hockey, and Salve Regina is more than just a funny name to say, you would have laughed yourself to the ground. Those same ECAC NE teams/Conferences that you carried on about 10-15 years ago are now some of the best teams in DIII ...
      Champs ... your entire post was extremely well stated.

Ironic that the parity that the AQs have introduced into D3 hockey, and the emergence of certain teams and conferences has quite likely come at the expense of the teams that you and I both support, in addition to M'bury.

Yes .. institutional support and coaching play a part, but I believe the AQs were certainly partially responsible for the decline at others. There are (unfortunately) only so many quality American players to go around in this era of NCAA foreign scholarship scrutiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Huh? No AQ's in D-1 football, last I checked. And FCS has a field of 16. Not as bad as D-3 hockey, by any means.
        D3 football. It’s a D3 thread so I made a presumption.
        St. Norbert College Green Knights
        NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
        NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
        NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
        ---
        SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
          Indeed. Some leagues in FB such as the ECFC aren't ever really a part of the conversation except to give a scrimmage to the team they are paired against. NU won the EcFC a couple of time and got smoked in the NCAA first round.
          Last edited by NUProf; 02-24-2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Pretty sure there will be movement in the rankings next week with OZ losing to Fredie. (not to mention the pool C bids).
            There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

• Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
              Pretty sure there will be movement in the rankings next week with OZ losing to Fredie. (not to mention the pool C bids).
              The NCAA to Oswego....No "C" for you!

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                The NCAA to Oswego....No "C" for you!
                Could be interesting...I wish we could parse the numbers but I am gonna wait for Tuesday to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  Could be interesting...I wish we could parse the numbers but I am gonna wait for Tuesday to see.
                  I just think there are just too many other teams that will have much better numbers by a week from Monday, unless they crash & burn as well. More upsets would also compound the issue.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

But losing to an unranked Fredonia team will be better than losing to a ranked Geneseo / Buff State
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

But losing to an unranked Fredonia team will be better than losing to a ranked Geneseo / Buff State
                      Oswego fans need to root for Hobart. The D3.com analysis gives HOBO a pool C spot, and a loss by Norwich pushes HOBO into a Pool A spot and frees up one of those Pool C spots, which won't go to Norwich, who is currently unranked.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                        But no chance to pick up another needed win...if Freddy wins it all I really believe you are done and Genny would have a better chance at C....it all depends on everybody else too. There will be more teams than ever with 5 or more losses this time !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                          Remy, over the years you have said plenty of stupid things on this board. This statement is not one of them
                          Sure it is.

Comment

Yes. My bad on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              So, you say bend-over and take it, because there's no way in the world the process can possibly be made more equitable, owing to the fact that the D-3 hockey by-laws were something Moses brought down from The Mount, and are completely immutable..?

Okaaaay.
                              Maybe I missing something in your argument, but why do you think hockey is being treated differently than any other sport (save D1 football)? Every sport has a national tourney of conference champion AQs, then a selection of at-larges. And that always generates debate because someone, by definition, is left out
                              St. Norbert College Green Knights
                              NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                              NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                              NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                              ---
                              SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Maybe I missing something in your argument, but why do you think hockey is being treated differently than any other sport (save D1 football)? Every sport has a national tourney of conference champion AQs, then a selection of at-larges. And that always generates debate because someone, by definition, is left out
                                Again, if there's going to be AQ's awarded -and yes there are- let's go with the RS champs (a la FCS football) for the sake of evaluating much more data, then eliminate Pool B and award the 5 AL's on the basis of a statistically credible metric. I could live with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X