Regional Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Regional Rankings

I would agree with the rankings. Hobart is so high because of their record vs ranked opponents. Not sure I agree with Plymouth St ahead of Endicott... Overall pretty accurate! If Salve and UNE take care of business over the weekend they both should be deadlocks for the tourney. If there are upsets and underdogs winning league titles it will be interesting to see the at large bids. Best of luck to all teams throughout their playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by NEHockey92 View Post
      I would agree with the rankings. Hobart is so high because of their record vs ranked opponents. Not sure I agree with Plymouth St ahead of Endicott... Overall pretty accurate! If Salve and UNE take care of business over the weekend they both should be deadlocks for the tourney. If there are upsets and underdogs winning league titles it will be interesting to see the at large bids. Best of luck to all teams throughout their playoffs.
      Plymouth State beats Endicott on two of the three criteria on the static sheet. Probably right with Salve and UNE as long as things go as they appear.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        CCC claims East's top 2 spots in regional ranking #2.

Whodathunkit

Last Updated - February 20, 2018
        RANK SCHOOL DIVISION III RECORD OVERALL RECORD
        East Region
        1. Salve Regina 20-4-2 20-4-2
        2. U New England 19-4-3 19-4-3
        2. Hobart 16-5-5 16-5-5
        4. Oswego St. 18-5-2 18-5-2
        5. Trinity (CT) 16-5-2 17-5-2
        6. SUNY Geneseo 17-5-3 17-5-3
        7. Utica 19-5-1 19-5-1
        8. Plymouth St. 16-4-2 18-4-2
        9. Endicott 18-5-3 18-5-3
        10. Buffalo St. 16-6-3 16-6-3

West Region
        1. Adrian 23-4-0 23-4-0
        2. St. Norbert 22-4-1 22-4-1
        3. Wis.-Stevens Point 18-4-3 18-4-3
        4. Marian (WI) 20-6-1 20-6-1
        5. Augsburg 16-9-0 16-9-0
        It does seem strange with no Plattsburgh, Norwich or Elmira. Times do change.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
          Middlebury too. Different times indeed.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
            Who is Endicott and Marian?
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Middlebury too. Different times indeed.
              Its been so long without Middlebury I forgot about them....

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Its been so long without Middlebury I forgot about them....
                Ahhh, the Roger Bannister of DIII hockey.
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Platty and EC don't have a gripe, but Plymouth being ranked above Norwich is pretty-much a ****ing indictment of the selection process.

Edit: Wow, you can't even conjugate the verb "to d***" on here? Funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    Platty and EC don't have a gripe, but Plymouth being ranked above Norwich is pretty-much a ****ing indictment of the selection process.

Edit: Wow, you can't even conjugate the verb "to d***" on here? Funny!
                    I never said Platty and EC should be there..... just seems odd without them.... you need to go to www.ncaa.com to the regional rankings and click on the east pdf and look at the numbers. The reason for the rankings is supported by the numbers. Plymouth does rank above Norwich.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                      Plymouth State beats Endicott on two of the three criteria on the static sheet. Probably right with Salve and UNE as long as things go as they appear.
                      As it appears on paper you're right. Plymouth st has a better record and better record vs ranked opponents than Endicott. They're 1-1 with a win over Endicott and loss to Trinity. Endicott has yet to beat any ranked teams so yes technically they should be ahead of Endicott. Not sure of the numbers on SOS but I bet it's not a huge difference. At this rate Endicott is going to have to win the CCC to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by NEHockey92 View Post
                        As it appears on paper you're right. Plymouth st has a better record and better record vs ranked opponents than Endicott. They're 1-1 with a win over Endicott and loss to Trinity. Endicott has yet to beat any ranked teams so yes technically they should be ahead of Endicott. Not sure of the numbers on SOS but I bet it's not a huge difference. At this rate Endicott is going to have to win the CCC to get in.
                        Oh, but it is a huge difference... As in, Endicott's #6 SOS vs. Plymouth's #56. Endicott certainly was wronged in this iteration of the rankings, by any *reasonable metric.

*As in: not D-3's... And don't even get me started re: Augsburg being in the mix.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-20-2018, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I never said Platty and EC should be there..... just seems odd without them.... you need to go to www.ncaa.com to the regional rankings and click on the east pdf and look at the numbers. The reason for the rankings is supported by the numbers. Plymouth does rank above Norwich.
                          I knew what you meant, just failed to acknowledge that fact. My bad on that one.

But, when the rankings are skewed by the threadbare criteria D-3 employs, they are suspect right out of the gate, and all the pursuant number-crunching that's based on bad primary analysis just compounds the problem.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-20-2018, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            I knew what you meant, just failed to acknowledge that fact. My bad on that one.

But, when the rankings are skewed by the threadbare criteria D-3 employs, they are suspect right out of the gate, and all the pursuant number-crunching that's based on bad primary analysis just compounds the problem.
                            Aha...The Conspiry Theory...LOL

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Broken record.
                              2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

The criteria don't hold water in such a far-flung division.

For example, let's say Plymouth is undefeated, as they nearly were a year or two back...

In the current system, they beat every other team in win %, but lose nearly every other comparison, because there's so little comparative data in terms of H2H, Co-Op, and they haven't played anyone who was arbitrarily "RNK". In this system, an undefeated team could be completely left out of the tournament. That's wrong; one can never assume that a perfect record vs. a weak schedule can be discounted out of hand.

Rankings really need to be calculated along a continuum, not on the basis of a few pick-and-choose criteria which might or might not be of any value. I would be delighted if D-3 went with even the RPI. It's far from perfect, but is much better than how D-3 does it now.

Comment

Working...
                                X