Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Regional Rankings

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    How many of the distances are more than 500 miles?
    Fitchburg- Nichols: 45 miles
    Colby- UNE: 97 miles
    Hobart- Geneseo: 49 miles
    Augsburg- Marian: 300 miles
    Oswego State 1980 Grad
    (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
      I agree the pick is surprising, but here are a couple points:
      - Marian was a 20 game winner coming out of one of the toughest conferences in the nation. They did beat Point at Point.
      - Maybe the committee felt strongly that SNC, Adrian, and Point were three of the top four overall seeds and all deserved byes to the quarterfinal round, but Augsburg did not.
      - They thought the West was generally stronger than the East this season.
      This makes the most sense, but tough to swallow for some of the East teams....It will be interesting to see how Marian performs.

Comment

they thought this last season and look how the games played out....

Comment

Biggest issue to me is this. Marian just got out shot 38 to 12 against St. Norbert in their conference semifinals.... 38 to 12!!! You would never see the number 1 seed in the east outshoot the number 5 seed in the east that terribly and the NCAA should never want an NCAA quarterfinal that could result in such an absurd shot ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
            Biggest issue to me is this. Marian just got out shot 38 to 12 against St. Norbert in their conference semifinals.... 38 to 12!!! You would never see the number 1 seed in the east outshoot the number 5 seed in the east that terribly and the NCAA should never want an NCAA quarterfinal that could result in such an absurd shot ratio.
            I'm aware all of this is moot in the selections and all... Just thinking out loud here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
              This makes the most sense, but tough to swallow for some of the East teams....It will be interesting to see how Marian performs.
              They will play Augsburg tough. If they win on Saturday I don't expect them to give SNC much trouble, but then again that's why they play the game.
              5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
              2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
                They will play Augsburg tough. If they win on Saturday I don't expect them to give SNC much trouble, but then again that's why they play the game.
                Of course, SNC also lost to Northland (9-13-3) along the way ... I'm not counting any chickens...
                St. Norbert College Green Knights
                NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                ---
                SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                  Yeah, if pigs could fly. Not being a poor sport here but in those last three losses (ouch) Oswego outshot opponents 111-46 and arguably clearly outplayed all three. But the pucks didn't get across the line.
                  Oswego State 1980 Grad
                  (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Originally posted by ColdInRomney View Post
                    Yeah, if pigs could fly. Not being a poor sport here but in those last three losses (ouch) Oswego outshot opponents 111-46 and arguably clearly outplayed all three. But the pucks didn't get across the line.
                    Once is a hot goalie against, twice you start to wonder. Three times in a row? That's more than just bad luck...
                    Steve
                    Penn State Class of '95
                    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Fitchburg- Nichols: 45 miles
                      Colby- UNE: 97 miles
                      Hobart- Geneseo: 49 miles
                      Augsburg- Marian: 300 miles
                      NUProf was referring to the distances of what the matchups should have been had they not worried about geography and just seedings.

But you do point out that all the eastern matchups do not require overnight lodging costs...
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Totally understand your frustration, similar to Hobart MBB, won LL by 4 games but lost last regular season to Union by 3 points although stayed ranked #1 in the East RR but lost in semis of LL tourney(again by 3 points) and got bounced from the entire NCAA tournament, of course a lot more regions but also a lot more teams in MBB and selections were definitely slanted towards the west. The NCAA works in mysterious ways.

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                          It would appear to be:
                          1. Salve Regina
                          2. UNE
                          3. Hobart
                          4. Geneseo
                          5. Colby
                          6/7. Fitchburg / Nichols

1 v. 6/7
                          2 v. 5
                          3 v. 4

That would be my guess. And I see the NCAA stat sheets on NCAA.com are from 3/31/17.
                          Has anyone seen the actual seedings for the East and West? Curious to see if UNE or Hobart will be the home team if they both win??

Comment

Originally posted by nefan View Post
                            Has anyone seen the actual seedings for the East and West? Curious to see if UNE or Hobart will be the home team if they both win??
                            Regionals just released at NCAA.com and UNE has #2 and Hobart #3.....this is good for Hobart as they love to play on the road to loud fans(just ask the Cadets), more concerned about home game against Genny

Comment

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
                              Regionals just released at NCAA.com and UNE has #2 and Hobart #3.....this is good for Hobart as they love to play on the road to loud fans(just ask the Cadets), more concerned about home game against Genny
                              So, if UNE losses, the winner of Hobart/Geneseo hosts the quarterfinals.

EDIT: Nothing against UNE, but that means I'm rooting for Colby. After all, it gets me to go to another playoff game...
                              Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 03-05-2018, 12:34 PM.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Yes, that makes sense...and Colby is on a roll. Hobart has proven that home ice is not that critical as the Statesmen have lost the last 3 years at home giving Geneseo confidence, no doubt.
                                Last edited by Bartman; 03-05-2018, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X