Regional Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
    The flip side of that argument is who have you lost to? True, Adrian has lost against some ranked teams (highly ranked teams), but they have only lost to highly ranked teams. I think an argument could be made for UWSP more so than SNC. SNC and Adrian are a wash head-to-head, both beat each other at home in OT, whereas UWSP swept Adrian. But then UWSP also lost to Hamline and then two good, but not great, teams in Marian and Augsburg.

But I should've been more clear when I said "clear-cut". What I was implying was that in the West there's those three teams and then everyone else. Whereas the East is much more jumbled and uncertain. I fully expect two of those teams from the West to make the Frozen Four and for one of them to win the title (SNC is my pick at the moment, but the rankings goes back to the best v. Most Deserving debate).

The East on the other hand is anyone's guess. I'd rank Oswego 1, I said weeks ago that they're the team to beat. However I know some of their posters are concerned with how well they'd do out of conference. They could make a run or get knocked out in the first round. Same with Trinity. And Endicott. And Salve. And Norwich. Etc. Etc.
    Please everyone...forget about these rankings. They mean nothing. Take into account the OOC and opponents OOC for the NCAA regional rankings. We have NO idea who was ranked where in the first super secret rankings.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Re: Regional Rankings

Seems like there are the BIG 3 out west and as for the east it's up for grabs with many teams in the running.

Comment

I'm thinking Salve makes the final four. They've had a very strong OOC schedule and won them all. Within conference they have been very strong and the CCC night be the strongest conference in the east this year with really good teams, especially in one through six who have all played well OOC. Looking forward to see how they do this weekend against Nichols, a possible sleeper is Brennan returns to himself before his injury and flu bug.

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
          The flip side of that argument is who have you lost to? True, Adrian has lost against some ranked teams (highly ranked teams), but they have only lost to highly ranked teams. I think an argument could be made for UWSP more so than SNC. SNC and Adrian are a wash head-to-head, both beat each other at home in OT, whereas UWSP swept Adrian. But then UWSP also lost to Hamline and then two good, but not great, teams in Marian and Augsburg.

But I should've been more clear when I said "clear-cut". What I was implying was that in the West there's those three teams and then everyone else. Whereas the East is much more jumbled and uncertain. I fully expect two of those teams from the West to make the Frozen Four and for one of them to win the title (SNC is my pick at the moment, but the rankings goes back to the best v. Most Deserving debate).

The East on the other hand is anyone's guess. I'd rank Oswego 1, I said weeks ago that they're the team to beat. However I know some of their posters are concerned with how well they'd do out of conference. They could make a run or get knocked out in the first round. Same with Trinity. And Endicott. And Salve. And Norwich. Etc. Etc.
          Gotcha.

Just to clarify, you do understand that it is better to lose against a weak team than a ranked team, right? It might not make a whole lot of logical sense, but in the western region for example, a loss to Adrian is worse on your resume than a loss to Hamline would be.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
            Gotcha.

Just to clarify, you do understand that it is better to lose against a weak team than a ranked team, right? It might not make a whole lot of logical sense, but in the western region for example, a loss to Adrian is worse on your resume than a loss to Hamline would be.
            That's why D3 needs to go to the KRACH, or RPI system. I've heard from some on here thats the only way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
              That's why D3 needs to go to the KRACH, or RPI system. I've heard from some on here thats the only way to go.
              Paging Fishman'81....
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by CCC Fan View Post
                I'm thinking Salve makes the final four. They've had a very strong OOC schedule and won them all. Within conference they have been very strong and the CCC night be the strongest conference in the east this year with really good teams, especially in one through six who have all played well OOC. Looking forward to see how they do this weekend against Nichols, a possible sleeper is Brennan returns to himself before his injury and flu bug.
                They lost to Utica 3-1 and Morrisvile OOC games.
                Last edited by sshablak; 02-09-2018, 12:59 PM.
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                  You're right, my bad, I wasn't thinking back to Thanksgiving. I'll still like their chances.

Comment

I think it was Bill Parcels who said "you first gotta get invited to the dance, if you get that, then anything can happen" or something like that... maybe it wasn't Parcels... I don't know... but that is the first step, get the invite!

I agree with CCC Fan, I think the CCC has been the strongest conference in the east this year. I believe UNE went 7-0-0 in OOC games. Bowdoin (2), Colby (2), Geneseo (1), Norwich (1) ( that was a theft game!), USM (1). They also won both exhibitions against USM and St.A's.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
                      That is not up to DIII hockey. There's no choice unless the schools want to leave the NCAA en masse and start a new organization governing the sport.
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                        How did they lose to Utica? Utica is overrated 😉
                        2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                          Gotcha.

Did I know it? Yes. Did I forget about it when making my comment? Also yes.

That's an interesting dynamic. You're punished in strength of schedule if you schedule bad teams out of conference. But then you're punished if you schedule good teams and lose. Bit of a Catch-22.
                          Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            That is not up to DIII hockey. There's no choice unless the schools want to leave the NCAA en masse and start a new organization governing the sport.
                            Not to be tiresome (again), but is D-3 alone in this? (To wit: D-1 football used a rigid KRACH-like metric for a few years recently, D-! hockey has the PWR which closely echos the RPI, and D-1 hoops openly cites the RPI when selecting the lower seeds...)
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-10-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CCC Fan View Post
                              I don't know about the FF, but in my estimation Salve is a mortal lock for a berth.

Comment

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
                                I think it was Bill Parcels who said "you first gotta get invited to the dance, if you get that, then anything can happen" or something like that... maybe it wasn't Parcels... I don't know... but that is the first step, get the invite!

I agree with CCC Fan, I think the CCC has been the strongest conference in the east this year. I believe UNE went 7-0-0 in OOC games. Bowdoin (2), Colby (2), Geneseo (1), Norwich (1) ( that was a theft game!), USM (1). They also won both exhibitions against USM and St.A's.
                                I don't think that there's any reasonable doubt that the CCC is the strongest Eastern conference, at least at the top.

Comment

Working...
                                X