Regional Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Regional Rankings

It's because Utica fans didn't show to support the Frozen Four...

Comment

Originally posted by smbenny View Post
      Broken record.
      Yup. But the record keeps skipping on a salient fact, as opposed to slavish devotion to a silly process that's revered because "it's just how we've always done it".

This can be improved, you know... We're not trying to solve the riddle of cold-fusion, FCS.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-20-2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OZrebel View Post
        It's because Utica fans didn't show to support the Frozen Four...
        Utica is pretty-much a hole, but it isn't Possum-Butt WV, either. There are other things to do here. And, without a dog in the hunt -even Hamilton or Hobart- there was little local interest.

I should have showed-up, prolly, but I can sleep at night regardless. The attendance wasn't great (maybe 1,600 per game?). 1601 would have been better.

How does Placid draw, usually?
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-20-2018, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
          Aha...The Conspiry Theory...LOL
          Not a "conspiry", just a dumb-azz process. Clearly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Utica is pretty-much a hole, but it isn't Possum-Butt WV, either. There are other things to do here. And, without a dog in the hunt -even Hamilton or Hobart- there was little local interest.

I should have showed-up, prolly, but I can sleep at night regardless. The attendance wasn't great (maybe 1,600 per game?). 1601 would have been better.

How does Placid draw, usually?
            The first couple times in Placid the attendance was great. It helped having Plattsburgh, Norwich and Oswego there a couple of times.

There have been some years with it being very light though too.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

For example, let's say Plymouth is undefeated, as they nearly were a year or two back...

In the current system, they beat every other team in win %, but lose nearly every other comparison, because there's so little comparative data in terms of H2H, Co-Op, and they haven't played anyone who was arbitrarily "RNK". In this system, an undefeated team could be completely left out of the tournament. That's wrong; one can never assume that a perfect record vs. a weak schedule can be discounted out of hand.
              Plymouth would be in if undefeated, regardless of any other metric.
              Go 'Wick!

Comment

In this system, an undefeated team could be completely left out of the tournament. That's wrong; one can never assume that a perfect record vs. a weak schedule can be discounted out of hand.
                It's happened before. Just ask Adrian.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  It's happened before. Just ask Adrian.
                  Yes that was without their conference yet having an autobid. MASCAC has one, so if Plymouth State was undefeated, they would be in the tourney

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                    Yes that was without their conference yet having an autobid. MASCAC has one, so if Plymouth State was undefeated, they would be in the tourney
                    So if Utica went undefeated......
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      So if Utica went undefeated......
                      Its Utica......who knows.....BUT if its 2020 they will

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Its Utica......who knows.....BUT if its 2020 they will
                        I won't believe it till 2021.
                        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                          Plymouth would be in if undefeated, regardless of any other metric.
                          No doubt, and that fact theoretically supports my point, albeit in a tangential way.

Plymouth (or any number of other teams with a poor SOS numbers) could be undefeated, but, without an available AQ, it could lose enough "primary criteria" comparisons to be out of the NCAA's just the same. (Yes, they'd certainly get-in anyway, relying on the committee to employ the fungible "secondary criteria", which basically illustrates that both sets of criteria are smoke-screens, and the committee can do exactly as it pleases... Ergo, we all are invited to smile and nod in blind accordance, a la The Emperor's New Clothes.

I know I rant far too often about on this topic. I bore myself more often than I do any of you in that respect, believe you me. But it's truly silly to endorse a "system" that owes no one any accountability... I'm not a "smile and nod" type of guy.

There's just so many better ways to select the field, and I'm convinced that it could happen without D-3 being required to move any serious mountains.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-21-2018, 06:23 PM.

Comment

No, it happened because certain committee members had “no interest in doing anything to help Adrian.” Could have been 80-0-1 (for the record they were 27-1-1, not undefeated) and it wouldn’t have mattered. Their own words. Don’t like it, take it up with them. I’m sure they have plenty of time to talk now since all their seasons will be over in February. As usual.
                            Last edited by XYZ; 02-22-2018, 02:48 AM.
                            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Matt Webb's Bracketology Second Edition::

http://d3hockey.com/bracketology/men/2018/feb-20
                              SNC Men:
                              Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                              NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                              SNC Women:
                              O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Have the Prezidential Three (Elmira, Oswego, Norwich) all missed the NCAAs in the same year?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X