Regional Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional Rankings

As the regular season is sliming down to its final few weeks I'm curious to see how everyone ranks the teams in the East and the West. Who are the front runners for the At large bids for the tourney?

Re: Regional Rankings

This post has gotten passed kver, but I'd be interested to hear people's opinions. I'll have to do a bit more number crunching before stating mine, at least in the East. The West is more clear-cut at the top:

1. Adrian
    2. SNC
    3. UWSP
    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

[QUOTE=NU Pastime;6600261]This post has gotten passed kver, but I'd be interested to hear people's opinions. I'll have to do a bit more number crunching before stating mine, at least in the East. The West is more clear-cut at the top:

1. Adrian
      2. SNC
      3. UWSP[/QUOTE

I agree with your West. Pretty straight forward. East was very hard. Here's what I think:
      East
      1. Oswego St
      2. Salve
      3. Trinity
      4. UNE
      5. Endicott
      6. Geneseo
      7. Utica
      8. Norwich
      9. Hobart
      10. Buff St.

* these are subject to change obviously with some key matchups this weekend amoungst the 10 I just named. Will do it again after the weekend results!

Comment

The difficulty with the East is that some teams won games that they shouldn't have won. I mean, I know that's a standard sports issue. But it seems particularly prevalent this year where you have teams like UNE beating Norwich even though Norwich dominated the game.

Do I really think UNE is one of the top 5 teams in the East? No. But, I err on the side of "most deserving" over the subjective rank of "better team". You play to win the game and that's why teams like UNE should be ranked above teams like Norwich.

Overall, I like your list.
        Norwich '13

Comment

[QUOTE=NEHockey92;6600434]
          Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
          This post has gotten passed kver, but I'd be interested to hear people's opinions. I'll have to do a bit more number crunching before stating mine, at least in the East. The West is more clear-cut at the top:

1. Adrian
          2. SNC
          3. UWSP[/QUOTE

I agree with your West. Pretty straight forward. East was very hard. Here's what I think:
          East
          1. Oswego St
          2. Salve
          3. Trinity
          4. UNE
          5. Endicott
          6. Geneseo
          7. Utica
          8. Norwich
          9. Hobart
          10. Buff St.

* these are subject to change obviously with some key matchups this weekend amoungst the 10 I just named. Will do it again after the weekend results!
          Yes #1 vs #6 tomorrow is BIG game ...

Comment

1. Adrian
            2. SNC
            3. UWSP
            Not so sure why you think the West is so clear-cut. Let’s compare the top three team’s records vs each other:

UWSP 2-1
            SNC 2-1
            Adrian 1-3

SNC is the only team to have defeated the other two top teams.

7 of Adrian’s wins have come against Finlandia, Trine, and Aurora. Also, all 4 of their losses have been to ranked teams. They currently have the lowest RNK of the three.
            Last edited by altazo; 02-08-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
              7 of Adrian’s wins have come against Finlandia, Trine, and Aurora.
              Don't be hating on Finlandia. They took CSS to overtime last weekend.
              5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
              2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
                Don't be hating on Finlandia. They took CSS to overtime last weekend.
                I’m not hating on anyone, Coach.

Comment

Right now in the West I have SNC, UWSP, then Adrian, mostly based on head to head. If Adrian wins the Harris Cup, I think it will flip to UWSP, Adrian, then SNC.
                  5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                  2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Not so sure why you think the West is so clear-cut. Let’s compare the top three team’s records vs each other:

UWSP 2-1
                    SNC 2-1
                    Adrian 1-3

7 of Adrian’s wins have come against Finlandia, Trine, and Aurora. Also, all 4 of their losses have been to ranked teams. They currently have the lowest RNK of the three.
                    There have not been any rankings that count.....only polls.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                      There have not been any rankings that count.....only polls.
                      Yes, thank you, I am aware. Do you think there is a good chance SNC, UWSP, and Salve will all be regionally ranked when the NCAA releases their first rankings? If so, Adrian will have the lowest RNK at that time among the western region teams being discussed.

Comment

Yes, thank you, I am aware. Do you think there is a good chance SNC, UWSP, and Salve will all be regionally ranked when the NCAA releases their first rankings? If so, Adrian will have the lowest RNK at that time among the western region teams being discussed.
                        More than likely, as far as what order, that will depend on the metrics on Monday.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

UWSP 2-1
                          SNC 2-1
                          Adrian 1-3

The flip side of that argument is who have you lost to? True, Adrian has lost against some ranked teams (highly ranked teams), but they have only lost to highly ranked teams. I think an argument could be made for UWSP more so than SNC. SNC and Adrian are a wash head-to-head, both beat each other at home in OT, whereas UWSP swept Adrian. But then UWSP also lost to Hamline and then two good, but not great, teams in Marian and Augsburg.

But I should've been more clear when I said "clear-cut". What I was implying was that in the West there's those three teams and then everyone else. Whereas the East is much more jumbled and uncertain. I fully expect two of those teams from the West to make the Frozen Four and for one of them to win the title (SNC is my pick at the moment, but the rankings goes back to the best v. Most Deserving debate).

The East on the other hand is anyone's guess. I'd rank Oswego 1, I said weeks ago that they're the team to beat. However I know some of their posters are concerned with how well they'd do out of conference. They could make a run or get knocked out in the first round. Same with Trinity. And Endicott. And Salve. And Norwich. Etc. Etc.
                          Norwich '13

Comment

The flip side of that argument is who have you lost to? True, Adrian has lost against some ranked teams (highly ranked teams), but they have only lost to highly ranked teams. I think an argument could be made for UWSP more so than SNC. SNC and Adrian are a wash head-to-head, both beat each other at home in OT, whereas UWSP swept Adrian. But then UWSP also lost to Hamline and then two good, but not great, teams in Marian and Augsburg.

But I should've been more clear when I said "clear-cut". What I was implying was that in the West there's those three teams and then everyone else. Whereas the East is much more jumbled and uncertain. I fully expect two of those teams from the West to make the Frozen Four and for one of them to win the title (SNC is my pick at the moment, but the rankings goes back to the best v. Most Deserving debate).

The East on the other hand is anyone's guess. I'd rank Oswego 1, I said weeks ago that they're the team to beat. However I know some of their posters are concerned with how well they'd do out of conference. They could make a run or get knocked out in the first round. Same with Trinity. And Endicott. And Salve. And Norwich. Etc. Etc.
                            What is getting overlooked here is looking at who Salve Regina has beat and the records of all the teams they have played OOC.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              What is getting overlooked here is looking at who Salve Regina has beat and the records of all the teams they have played OOC.
                              If I were a betting man, I would put money on Salve getting to Lake Placid....very impressed with them on video...
                              SNC Men:
                              Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                              NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                              SNC Women:
                              O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Working...
                              X