• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Regional Rankings

It must be fake news !!
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

The one thing I find funny is that the women's static sheets are released........but the men's aren't. What is too secretive to release ???

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
        The one thing I find funny is that the women's static sheets are released........but the men's aren't. What is too secretive to release ???
        The East committee doesn't want the public to know how the messed up?
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          The East committee doesn't want the public to know how the messed up?
          BTW....on the women's side.....the difference between #1 Norwich & #2 Plattsburgh was so close....WIN +.022 Norwich, SOS +.079 Plattsburgh, RNK, +.045 Norwich...I do not remember one ever being closer.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
            ..................As was explained on the other site, no team could be found in any sport with an SOS as bad as Utica's to receive an at-large bid. ......................
            "But their SOS!"

So you are suggesting that Utica's on ice performance is completely rendered irrelevant because of their SOS? If they had gone 3-0-0 or 2-0-1 instead of 1-1-1 against Salve Regina, Adrian, and Oswego that it would not have mattered as the SOS remained the same?
            2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
            2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
            2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
            2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
            2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
            2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
            2009 D-III TOP runner-up
            Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
            1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
              "But their SOS!"

So you are suggesting that Utica's on ice performance is completely rendered irrelevant because of their SOS? If they had gone 3-0-0 or 2-0-1 instead of 1-1-1 against Salve Regina, Adrian, and Oswego that it would not have mattered as the SOS remained the same?
              Sadly, yes, I think that's what I mean. See Adrian their first couple of years when the MIAC didn't have an autobid. They lost one game all year and couldn't get a bid because their SOS sunk them. Any longtime Adrian fans want to open old wounds?
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

"But their SOS!"

Would not matter. The UCHC was not exactly stellar out of conference. Look at this table and compare OOC's.

Remember, your in conference SoS is always .500.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Would not matter. The UCHC was not exactly stellar out of conference. Look at this table and compare OOC's.

Remember, your in conference SoS is always .500.
                  So when I am considering just how bad the conference did OOC, should I, at least mentally, subtract Utica's 7-1-1 OOC record to show the rest of the league went 16-44-10?
                  2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                  2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                  2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                  2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                  2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                  2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                  2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                  Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                  1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

So when I am considering just how bad the conference did OOC, should I, at least mentally, subtract Utica's 7-1-1 OOC record to show the rest of the league went 16-44-10?
                    That should get you close, but because of the (odd) way the NCAA computes SOS, it is a little more complex than that. The take the average of the winning percentages rather than the actual record to compute the OWP metric. (This can be statistically misleading) For the OOWP component they take average of the OWP of the teams your opponents played.
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

What it appears they did was set up the bracket so that #1 seed Salve Regina played the lowest ranked team after the first round. It would appear that the only tinkering to the bracket was that Nichols would have been seeded #5 (they were regionally ranked while Colby and Fitchburg were not), but is still playing against Fitchburg. That may have been done for geographical reasons, but it hardly destroyed bracket integrity.
                      That is the worst explanation I've ever heard, and yes it completely destroyed bracket integrity. Show me another bracket anywhere that has the #5 seed playing a home game against a lower seed, while the #4 seed plays an away game at a higher seed....in the first round!!!

Why would they "protect" a 1 seed? The 1 seed gets a bye and gets to lined up to play what is expected to be the lowest team remaining. 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 is how the last million brackets in every sport have been set up, until now.

Last year Norwich was a 1 loss far and away 1 seed who didn't even get a bye, so why does a 5 loss Salve team need a bye and need to avoid the scary #4 seed. Norwich last year, of course, faced the 8 seed in round 1, followed by the winner of the 4 vs 5 game like every other bracket known to man. Based on your rationale the bracket last year should have been like 1 vs 8 and they play the winner of the 6 vs 7 game, then on the other half of the draw you have 2 vs 5 and 3 vs 4....right?

Colby is the only school that is 500 miles from Hobart and Geneseo, so there was no rule preventing a normal bracket. Not to mention that they screwed up the bracket so that if Colby beats UNE, now they have to fly Colby to Hobart or Geneseo. Why wouldn't they just put Colby in with Nichols and Salve to avoid any chance of having to fly a team before the final four. That should tell you how intelligent the people putting together this bracket are, they destroyed the bracket to save money and then left the door open to spend even more money if 1 upset happens.

They might as well have gone all out to maximize profits and made Hobart play at lower seed Geneseo. Could have had a crowd of 2200 in Geneseo compared to the 300 Hobart will draw.

Comment

Originally posted by gknight View Post
                        That is the worst explanation I've ever heard, and yes it completely destroyed bracket integrity. Show me another bracket anywhere that has the #5 seed playing a home game against a lower seed, while the #4 seed plays an away game at a higher seed....in the first round!!!
                        I'm sorry you feel that way, but while the bracket isn't perfect, and from someone without a team in the tournament, it made some sense. I think Adrian has more of a gripe about its first opponent than Geneseo does. Hobart is probably a #6 overall seed in this tournament and Geneseo would be lower than that. Hobart v. Geneseo isn't that big a stretch. And sorry, but you aren't paying for the tournament and money is a factor.

Why would they "protect" a 1 seed? The 1 seed gets a bye and gets to lined up to play what is expected to be the lowest team remaining. 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 is how the last million brackets in every sport have been set up, until now.
                        That's the semifinal round, not the QF round. The semis are set up to be 1 v 4 and 2 v 3. If they all win. This was set up to get as close to a 1 v 8 matchup as they could, with their other restrictions. Salve is certainly the top seed in the east and will get the lowest remaining eastern team after the first round. (St. Norbert out west is also getting the lowest western team remaining). Again, if you want to complain for someone, Adrian is almost certainly #2 in the west (and possibly #2 overall) and is playing the probable #3 or #4 team in the whole tournament in the QF.

Oh, and just because you don't agree with the explanation doesn't make it a bad one. Calm down and enjoy your March hockey. At least your team is still playing...
                        Steve
                        Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by gknight View Post
                          Colby is the only school that is 500 miles from Hobart and Geneseo, so there was no rule preventing a normal bracket. Not to mention that they screwed up the bracket so that if Colby beats UNE, now they have to fly Colby to Hobart or Geneseo.
                          Colby will not fly if this happens. There's been precedence before when it came to Maine teams forced to bus over 500 miles within the Northeast.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            Colby will not fly if this happens. There's been precedence before when it came to Maine teams forced to bus over 500 miles within the Northeast.
                            And now I've learned something new today. There was discussion on the d3hoops board that they thought that 500 mile number was etched in stone and couldn't be excepted.
                            Steve
                            Penn State Class of '95

Comment

It's part of the aging process spy." Old too soon and wise too late" ! BTW...TY for all your explaining here, you are patient with us and very knowledgeable.
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

And now I've learned something new today. There was discussion on the d3hoops board that they thought that 500 mile number was etched in stone and couldn't be excepted.
                                All I'm saying is that they made Bowdoin women's team bus to Elmira when Elmira hosted the D3 championships in the first two years. And I'm pretty sure it's over 500 miles. And I'm pretty sure I remember Bowdoin not being happy about it at all.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X