This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

We were JUST saying how great it would be if Kohei would score and just like that....
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      What is Cats' record when scoring first?
      6-3-4

---

See UNH is finally playing a team they're better than and as a result they'll score first, lead after one, lead after two and lead at the end of the game!! And all those stats will illustrate is that UNH remains better against teams worse then them than against teams better than them...

Good for Sato, though. Great pass by Max Gildon.
      Last edited by Dan; 02-03-2018, 06:44 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Ho hum 2nd
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          6-3-4

---

See UNH is finally playing a team they're better than and as a result they'll score first, lead after one, lead after two and lead at the end of the game!! And all those stats will illustrate is that UNH remains better against teams worse then them than against teams better than them...

Good for Sato, though. Great pass by Max Gildon.
          Hmm, hope that the Cats do not try to sit back on their 2-1 lead in the third.

In contrast to the low-scoring affair at Lake Whitt tonight, I just watched HRef's alma mater lose only their second conference game of the season 7-5 to Fitchburg State in Plymouth (20-mile rather than 180-mile RT drive for me). PSU gave up five PP goals, with 4 on two 5-minute majors; no SMT's they. Something like 90+ total SOG in the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Hmm, hope that the Cats do not try to sit back on their 2-1 lead in the third.

In contrast to the low-scoring affair at Lake Whitt tonight, I just watched HRef's alma mater lose only their second conference game of the season 7-5 to Fitchburg State in Plymouth (20-mile rather than 180-mile RT drive for me). PSU gave up five PP goals, with 4 on two 5-minute majors; no SMT's they. Something like 90+ total SOG in the game.
            I'll take the blame if they lose - as it will be solely a result of me mentioning situational stats in the first place...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

'Cats on a 5:00 PP from a cheap shot by UMass' Gaudette
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Welp finally a W!!!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Welp finally a W!!!
                  Woo hoo!

No. 596 for Dick, right, mookie?

And, Dan is off the hook. :-)

Comment

• Kelleher traded from Milwaukee to Texas...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Watched most of the game. Got a laugh out of the announcers comment that the Beanpot was an “underated tournament.” It’s only been around for 65 years, featuring teams that have won a dozen national championships. And, btw, this year we may finally have that first ever Northeastern- Harvard final.

But I digress. Watching the five minute PP innthe third, I was continually struck by how lackadaisical UNH passing is. No one snaps the puck when passing. No one seizes an opening and skates to space. I know the talent is mediocre but can’t they even make an attempt at positive hockey. Glad they won. Tirone should be POW.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        The stat that I hate is the old team record when leading/trailing after one or two periods. The better team often wins the first period and the first two and the game! Those stats are completely useless. Almost every single team will show a good record when leading after two - because they're likely the better team (or playing better) in all those games they led after two. They trumpet those stats on TV/radio broadcasts all the time as if they mean anything. It's a major eye roll level of commentary...

Case in point - as bad as this UNH team is they're 9-1-2 when they lead after two. Find me a team that doesn't have gaudy numbers in that scenario...
                        Precisely. Which is why I've always been a proponent of getting an early lead and playing from a position of strength, where the longer and deeper into the game you can maintain a lead, the better your chances of bagging W's. Rendering SOG's as a secondary indicator and relatively (if not entirely) meaningless by comparison.

Good weekend for the 'Cats, some signs of life, and the Quest lives on for another weekend ...
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Precisely. Which is why I've always been a proponent of getting an early lead and playing from a position of strength, where the longer and deeper into the game you can maintain a lead, the better your chances of bagging W's. Rendering SOG's as a secondary indicator and relatively (if not entirely) meaningless by comparison.

Good weekend for the 'Cats, some signs of life, and the Quest lives on for another weekend ...
                          We have a mid week game. I am not overlooking that.

Not next weekend, but it is coming.

Comment

Go pats!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

You've always been a proponent of getting an early lead? That's so profound Chuck. I can hardly contain myself
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

According to Dan's post above, we are now 7-4-3 when we score first, winning half of those, and also meaning that we score first half of the time and are 3-9-2 when we do not score first. Perhaps most important is that we avoided the umileation of single digit wins this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X