Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 1001

Thread: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

  1. #121
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    5,642
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    We have a mid week game. I am not overlooking that.

    Not next weekend, but it is coming.
    Tirone with his acrobatics and flashy glove will be waiting for you black bears; he also stands on his head for midweek games.

  2. #122
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    261

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Felger View Post
    This.

    Compared to those squads, making out the line charts for the last decade or so was pretty much like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
    I would concur with that assessment.
    I went home with a waitress the way I always do
    How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

  3. #123
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    261

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Right or wrong (and sure, it was the 'correct' call) it's still a terrible rule - so players can hand pass all over the ice and it's just a face-off. But if you hand-pass a face-off it's a penalty? Especially in a big moment. It wreaks of someone seeing an occasional hand-won face-off and deciding to punish it with an overly harsh sentence. How often does this even occur that their needs to be a rule!? We've already discussed how irrelevant face-off wins really are. Just re-drop the puck and kick Vela out. There is no need to give the refs more meaningless opportunities to impact close games. Let the boys play...
    Might it be that it doesn't occur frequently because there is a rule?

    I'd rather see a face off won with skill and quickness rather than some tie up, hand pass gimmick.
    I went home with a waitress the way I always do
    How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

  4. #124
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    261

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dorn View Post
    Greg,

    I agree with you 100%. Has anybody noticed the team for the last five games in the 3rd period and OT has been playing not to lose the game, instead of trying to win the game?
    Last 5 games? Last 15 years...
    I went home with a waitress the way I always do
    How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

  5. #125
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,355

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by E.J. Smith View Post
    Might it be that it doesn't occur frequently because there is a rule?

    I'd rather see a face off won with skill and quickness rather than some tie up, hand pass gimmick.
    I honestly cannot recall a UNH center in the last generation who was noted for faceoff technique/proficiency.

    Overall, I still think face-off stats are overrated, but if you basically punt on it as a coach - especially when your team isn't stocked with high-end talent - aren't you just putting your team further and further behind the 8-ball?
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  6. #126
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by E.J. Smith View Post
    I would concur with that assessment.
    As I would expect you would good Captain!! 😉

  7. #127
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,355

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    With the end of our esteemed AD's Great Three Year Plan now clearly in sight, your UNH Wildcats finally awoke from their long hibernation to emerge at long last with an unbeaten weekend, including the blessed ending of a 12 game winless run spanning the last two months, in which their much-maligned senior goalie stole a road tie against a ranked Northeastern team, and then a strong team effort finally did the trick against historic HE creampuffs UMass Flagship. If not then ... when? Well, no need to worry any longer. And at least with the W secured, and the embarrassing 12 game stretch no longer casting its shadow over "Turtleneck Bobblehead Weekend", we can get back to focusing on the excitement and anticipation built up over these last three seasons, and how The Quest is going to turn out, as we check back on this epic Shakespearian tragedy in the making. Have the 2017/2018 Wildcats gotten a second wind, as the NRN floats ever so tantalizingly just beyond the grasp of reality? Time will tell, but time is ticking away rapidly, as WIS presents its prognostications in this latest "Grand Finale ... or Grand Illusion?" edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

    "Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

    Coach Umile's current career wins total: 596
    Wins Remaining to NRN (Next Round Number): 4
    Games Remaining (plus 2 min. MBPBEGAM games): 8
    Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 50.0%
    WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 37.5%
    2017/2018 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 6/15 (40.0%)

    Shaking off back-to-back losses to *mighty* UConn, including the previous Friday's loss that we speculated in this space last week might prove to be the proverbial nail in the coffin for Coach's Quest, the 'Cats went back to senior goalie Danny Tirone, who responded to the latest emerging challenge for his starter's slot with his best weekend between the pipes in a long, long time. With his goalie binky now back in place, it would seem the die is cast for next weekend's crucial homestanding series against the dirty hippies from UVM, which may turn out to be a battle to the death struggle for survival celebration of institutional mediocrity for home ice in the ever-important MBPBEGAM round of the HE *playoffs*. But after watching our socialistic neighbors to the west breaking with form, and now entering next weekend's contests on the crest of a five (5) game unbeaten streak, it seems that even "Peaches Magic" has finally deserted our depilated protagonist. But at least yesterday's W still keeps the Quest from turning into an all-out Chase ... so far.

    Looking at the big picture ... with four (4) wins still needed in the final 8 games (minimum) left in the season, the win percentage needed for UNH to get Coach to the NRN remains at roughly 50% (depending on whether you figure there are games after the MBPBEGAM round, or if that round takes 3 games instead of 2 to end the 'Cats season). So it's still officially a Quest for now, and the WIS panel has slightly upped its forecast for a successful ending to this NRN stuff from an all-time low of 35%. And while the NRN is not unreachable, games and time are simply running out. This weekend can either scuttle the whole enterprise OR breathe new life into the 'Cats' sagging fortunes, which a sweep would no doubt accomplish. With that, the WIS panel covers its eyes, breaks out the old "Walshy dartboard" and lets fly with its predictions WAG's for this coming weekend:

    Predictions:

    Friday: UVM 3 @ UNH 1
    Saturday: @ UNH 4 UVM 3

    NEXT (LAST?) CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: 2/16/18 @ Merrimack

    COMING ATTRACTIONS - THE GRASSO REDSHIRT NUMBER (GRSN)

    Once we're done with the regular season, we'll turn our attention to the MBPBEGAM round of the HE "playoffs", and the GRSN - not to be confused with the NRN. This was brought to the fore by Dan regarding the prospects of Patrick Grasso's potentially lost season, and the chances he'll be allowed a "medical redshirt". A minimum of six (6) post-season games will be necessary for Grasso's 2017/2018 season not to become a total loss. So the Grasso Red Shirt Number sits at a 40 game UNH slate. The WIS panel recently downgraded Grasso's chances of following in the career path of the great Tommy Nolan to be Slim to None, and Slim Looks Like He's Packing to Leave Town. Of course, we'll revisit this assessment periodically as things progress.

    FOXHOLE CHALLENGE - US AGAINST THE WORLD (in honor of Felger's dopey penguin)

    Us 1
    The World 8


    To seek the man whose pointing hand
    The giant step unfolds
    With guidance from the curving path
    That churns up into stone

    If one bell should ring
    In celebration for a king
    So fast the heart should beat
    As proud the head with heavy feet
    Last edited by Chuck Murray; 02-04-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  8. #128
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    l'etat de granit
    Posts
    860

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    FWIW, heard a rumor that the GRSN was not 40 games (something less). Anybody checked the rule book lately (you know I didn't)?

  9. #129
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerman View Post
    FWIW, heard a rumor that the GRSN was not 40 games (something less). Anybody checked the rule book lately (you know I didn't)?
    https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

    * Injury must occur during an athletes four seasons of competition or SR year of HS.
    * Injury must be season ending.
    * Injury must occur in the first-half of the season.
    * A player cannot have played in more than 3 games or 30% of the season. Whichever is more.

    Grasso has played in 12 games...
    12/34 = .353
    12/35 = .343
    12/36 = .333
    12/37 = .324
    12/38 = .316
    12/39 = .307
    12/40 = .300

    As I said before - UNH can petition for a waiver and redetermination of the rules with whatever information they have and want to use. They may especially consider petitioning at 39 games and 30.7%. Of course we all know how flexible the NCAA is with their rulings...
    Last edited by Dan; 02-04-2018 at 10:26 AM.

  10. #130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,834
    Quote Originally Posted by E.J. Smith View Post
    Might it be that it doesn't occur frequently because there is a rule?

    I'd rather see a face off won with skill and quickness rather than some tie up, hand pass gimmick.
    It's a new rule - proposed in 2014. Do you recall a scourge of hand won face-offs in the prior 15 years that I absolutely do not? It probably happened a couple of times and the coaches completely over reacted. It doesn't happen often because it likely never even occurs to these guys to try to win a face-off with their hand unless they fall to the ice - which, again, almost never happens...

    Yesterday in the Denver/UMD game, DU rushed up ice and put a shot on the UMD goalie. The rebound was set to fall in the slot between three Pioneers and one UMD defenseman. Instead the defenseman grabbed the puck out of the air, skated two strides and threw the puck out of harms way back towards the blue line. The result - a face-off. Yet, if on the ensuing face-off Denver had batted the puck awkwardly with their glove it would have been a minor penalty? Oh, yes, That makes perfect sense...

    Hand pass rules should be consistent. Period. Blow the whistle, have a face-off.
    Last edited by Dan; 02-04-2018 at 10:24 AM.

  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    On the Contrary
    Posts
    774

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Here's hoping that the t-shirts and bobbleheads meet a better fate this weekend than HR's poster did a couple weeks back...
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

  12. #132
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    l'etat de granit
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

    * Injury must occur during an athletes four seasons of competition or SR year of HS.
    * Injury must be season ending.
    * Injury must occur in the first-half of the season.
    * A player cannot have played in more than 3 games or 30% of the season. Whichever is more.

    Grasso has played in 12 games...
    12/34 = .353
    12/35 = .343
    12/36 = .333
    12/37 = .324
    12/38 = .316
    12/39 = .307
    12/40 = .300

    As I said before - UNH can petition for a waiver and redetermination of the rules with whatever information they have and want to use. They may especially consider petitioning at 39 games and 30.7%. Of course we all know how flexible the NCAA is with their rulings...
    Thanks Dan.

  13. #133
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    5,642

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Hey, E.J. Smith has returned! Where have you been the last couple of threads, E.J.?

    Now, if Jacques "Rabbit" Porriveau reappears, we will know that the season's end is near. :-)

  14. #134
    Desk Chair Coach
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Lee, NH, USA
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    I honestly cannot recall a UNH center in the last generation who was noted for faceoff technique/proficiency.

    Overall, I still think face-off stats are overrated, but if you basically punt on it as a coach - especially when your team isn't stocked with high-end talent - aren't you just putting your team further and further behind the 8-ball?
    Winnik - came in as a solid faceoff guy and stayed that way while in Durham.

  15. #135
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    261

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    It's a new rule - proposed in 2014. Do you recall a scourge of hand won face-offs in the prior 15 years that I absolutely do not? It probably happened a couple of times and the coaches completely over reacted. It doesn't happen often because it likely never even occurs to these guys to try to win a face-off with their hand unless they fall to the ice - which, again, almost never happens...
    Face offs have changed dramatically over the past 15 years. It used to be two guys, stick to stick. Then guys started getting lower, not even playing the puck, turning their bodies into the other player. It became a battle of strength rather than quickness. People can prefer one over the other but the powers that be have expressed their preference by putting rules in place to take the scrum out of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Yesterday in the Denver/UMD game, DU rushed up ice and put a shot on the UMD goalie. The rebound was set to fall in the slot between three Pioneers and one UMD defenseman. Instead the defenseman grabbed the puck out of the air, skated two strides and threw the puck out of harms way back towards the blue line. The result - a face-off. Yet, if on the ensuing face-off Denver had batted the puck awkwardly with their glove it would have been a minor penalty? Oh, yes, That makes perfect sense...
    I've noticed refs making the closing the hand on the puck call much more over the last couple of seasons. And I love it. This grab high to one side and then hold it while you spin and drop it low to the other side was really pushing it. My guess is that if the refs emphasizing it with a whistle doesn't work they'll turn it into a penalty. Fine with me.
    I went home with a waitress the way I always do
    How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

  16. #136
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Lynn, MA, USA
    Posts
    2,453
    Quote Originally Posted by E.J. Smith View Post
    Last 5 games? Last 15 years...
    Well E.J. 15 years ago this March they won their second of their two HE titles and in April lost in the FF final. Last 5 years, yes.

  17. #137
    Desk Chair Coach
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Lee, NH, USA
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    Well E.J. 15 years ago this March they won their second of their two HE titles and in April lost in the FF final. Last 5 years, yes.
    What a minute. That second HE championship was a game played entirely in not to loose form. BU was exhausted from late multiple OT game the night before and UNH's game plan was novacaine... slow but works. It was also the ultimate play not to loose.

    I would agree the NCAAs was a different story.

  18. #138
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    5,642
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What a minute. That second HE championship was a game played entirely in not to loose form. BU was exhausted from late multiple OT game the night before and UNH's game plan was novacaine... slow but works. It was also the ultimate play not to loose.

    I would agree the NCAAs was a different story.
    In reference to Ray Dorn's original post about our team playing not to lose in the third and OT, I thought that we were playing not to lose from opening whistle in the 2003 NC game, holding one of out forwards back on the attack. And, all that did was give Vanek one more of our guys to skate around.

  19. #139
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Lynn, MA, USA
    Posts
    2,453
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Winnik - came in as a solid faceoff guy and stayed that way while in Durham.
    Id add Mike Sullivan

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Lynn, MA, USA
    Posts
    2,453
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What a minute. That second HE championship was a game played entirely in not to loose form. BU was exhausted from late multiple OT game the night before and UNH's game plan was novacaine... slow but works. It was also the ultimate play not to loose.

    I would agree the NCAAs was a different story.
    JB surprised at you. My recollection of that game was the goaltending, both Curry and Ayers. And, of course, Teplitsky to Whitney. The idea that teams would play not to lose a championship game is ludicrous.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •