This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
    This is exactly how I have been feeling they should be attacking the recruiting game at this stage. Use what you did to get Benton Maass into UNH on more players in the short term to rebuild. Players that you can bring in earlier than the BC/BU/Denver's of the world will. Note: I do not think this should not be a long term focus for recruiting. As Dan said, their impact may not be as great early on but they have nothing to lose here. Sure you may whiff on some of those guys but you have had some pretty big whiffs with the strategy you have got going now. Being willing to take a chance and say "I have a spot for you to arrive and play next year" can really boost a lot of 18/19 year olds to sign with you. How do you think they pulled down Ty Taylor? "We need a goalie for next year and you are our guy." And my guess is that he signed before he got on the plane back to BC even though it was not announced until midweek.

Obviously to return to the top they need to get aggressive in all aspects of recruiting and I agree with what most of what Dan has to say on the subject. The concept of waiting to pick up on the late blooming high school/prep school/overlooked junior prospects is not the only focus they should have but it is a start. Will UNH will get back to the point of competing head to head with the top schools for the top prospects? Hopefully. For now, find your niche and work it to your benefit until you get the program back on the rise.
    This post reminds me of the "We Are Marshall" story...on skates. What's the phrase "desperate times call for desperate measures" and WEIT to get players that have potential as early as possible like Maass amd Gildon are worth the risk! Obviously not all recruits would go this route.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      This post reminds me of the "We Are Marshall" story...on skates. What's the phrase "desperate times call for desperate measures" and WEIT to get players that have potential as early as possible like Maass amd Gildon are worth the risk! Obviously not all recruits would go this route.
      Boy do I love that movie! The ending. When they mention that the following week they get their doors blown off by Miami U's third stringers, 66-6. Tears of joy. Every time...
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        In another fitting moment of incredible irony, the UNH Hockey program spent last weekend feting the man who has steered them through the better part of the last three decades, hand-picking a late season weekend homestand against very beatable conference opposition ... and somehow managed to (barely) eke out a late tie in the second game to avoid total embarrassment (Umile-ation, perhaps?). There's no party like a "Marty Party", eh? Anyway, this epic Shakespearian tragedy in the making goes from dismay to disaster, and now with the Black Bears knocking at the door, WIS stumbles out of hibernation in a punch-drunk stupor, waiting for this really bad movie to mercifully end, as we present our latest prognostications in this latest "Is It (Officially) Over Yet?" edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The Chase for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 596
        Wins Remaining to NRN (Next Round Number): 4
        Games Remaining (plus 2 min. MBPBEGAM games): 6
        Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 66.7%
        WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 25%
        2017/2018 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 6/17 (35.3%)

A winless home weekend against *powerhouse* UVM tells you all you need to know about The State of the (Wildcat) Nation right now, as things are looking mighty grim for Coach's chances to get to the NRN, and a last place finish is seemingly more likely than what is now a virtually necessary series win in the MBPBEGAM round of the HE Tourney. And even that might not be enough, unless the 'Cats can make some hay tonight and later this week(end). Two winnable games for sure ... but you gotta think the view of the Mildcats from the perspectives of Orono and North Andover is looking mighty sugary right now. You'd like to think there's no way - NO WAY - UNH can't find at least one win in these two upcoming games. But somehow I see another loss and another tie, and the Quest - which is now a Chase - could soon turn into an out-and-out Desperate Scramble by Friday night ...

Predictions:

Wednesday: @ UNH 1 UMaine 1
        Friday: @ Merrimack 4 UNH 2

NEXT (LAST?) CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: TBD in the MBPBEGAM round of the "playoffs"

COMING ATTRACTIONS - THE GRASSO REDSHIRT NUMBER (GRSN)

Once we're done with the regular season, we'll turn our attention to the MBPBEGAM round of the HE "playoffs", and the GRSN - not to be confused with the NRN. This was brought to the fore by Dan regarding the prospects of Patrick Grasso's potentially lost season, and the chances he'll be allowed a "medical redshirt". A minimum of six (6) post-season games will be necessary for Grasso's 2017/2018 season not to become a total loss. So the Grasso Red Shirt Number sits at a 40 game UNH slate. The WIS panel has again slightly downgraded Grasso's chances of following in the career path of the great Tommy Nolan to be Slim to None, and Slim Just Finished Packing After Saturday Night's Scoreless OT. We'll revisit this assessment periodically as things progress.

FOXHOLE CHALLENGE - US AGAINST THE WORLD (in honor of Felger's dopey penguin)

Us 1
        The World 10

To seek the man whose pointing hand
        The giant step unfolds
        With guidance from the curving path
        That churns up into stone

If one bell should ring
        In celebration for a king
        So fast the heart should beat
        As proud the head with heavy feet
        Will you take a 9-iron to the DU bobblehead if the NRN is not achieved? Or is the bobblehead securely placed for all to see at the WIS estate in Effingham?
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Boy do I love that movie! The ending. When they mention that the following week they get their doors blown off by Miami U's third stringers, 66-6. Tears of joy. Every time...
          Haha yeah that's something isn't it!!! But the cool part is how Marshall built it back to prominence heck even winning a NC...not sure what they do these days...just goes to show what a strong vision coupled with doing the work necessary on all fronts can do for a program hmmm? 😉
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            Will you take a 9-iron to the DU bobblehead if the NRN is not achieved? Or is the bobblehead securely placed for all to see at the WIS estate in Effingham?
            He doesn't have it...yet. Jeeze e.cat don't encourage him lol. Being the "Don" of uscho fan forum I think he would find more creative things...I'm sure Chuck has watched all of the episodes of The Sooranos and can recite "The God Father" word for word...😉
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-14-2018, 01:43 PM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              Jeez guys you got him to "commit" unofficially to UNH too? Admissions again?
              Pretty sure he means Matt White, who didn't clear admissions, a couple of weeks after Ryan Bourque also ditched Umile.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

6-0-3...that's what we are against the Black Bears in the past 9 games; all due to Danny T's dynamic, acrobatic saves (and, some luck I suppose) along with TyK's prowess. What will we do tonight at the annual "White out the Whitt" game? Hopefully hear this ALOT tonight!

SIEVE...YOU (know the rest )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiCIGdgu8yk

Seeing how the game is tonight, on a Wednesday, on VD day (health teacher insider joke), hopefully the students/fans will show up. Apparantly the game was scheduled for January when the students weren't here, so, somehow, it was rescheduled to tonight. DT, and a few other teammates were out in force on campus yesterday giving out tickets so here's hoping UNH shows up (team too) in force, Swayman or no Swayman.

Go 'Cats BEAT MAINE!!!
                I am thinking 3-3 tie tonight (I would go with 3.5-3.5 tie, but goal fractions not allowed).

My prediction in the MBPBEGAM round contest for the Cats going to Orono still in play. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  Pretty sure he means Matt White, who didn't clear admissions, a couple of weeks after Ryan Bourque also ditched Umile.
                  We need Shaun White. And, some Finns!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    I am thinking 3-3 tie tonight (I would go with 3.5-3.5 tie, but goal fractions not allowed).

My prediction in the MBPBEGAM round contest for the Cats going to Orono still in play. :-)
                    Ugh well they will have to do it without me....😉
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Might get a White but he won't be a player...
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Betty White might be an improvement at this point.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          Not a chance, e.cat. I'm putting that balding tortlenecked beauty up on the fireplace mantle in Effingwoods.

When the going gets tough ... the tough cross their arms defensively and say nothing
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Not a chance, e.cat. I'm putting that balding tortlenecked beauty up on the fireplace mantle in Effingwoods.

When the going gets tough ... the tough cross their arms defensively and say nothing
                            Haha!

Sorry to conflate Effingham with Effingwoods or vice versa!

Comment

He doesn't have it...yet. Jeeze e.cat don't encourage him lol. Being the "Don" of uscho fan forum I think he would find more creative things...I'm sure Chuck has watched all of the episodes of The Sooranos and can recite "The God Father" word for word...😉
                              Bada Bing

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

haha Sorry to disappoint ya Don, er Chuck, but the bobble head is dressed in a warm up suit with a blue cap on its head...but, the arms ARE crossed!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X