X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    I guess the thing that is a concern to me regarding the comments about where Souza is, etc is the 'assumption' that the recruiters (Souza/Stewart) are sitting on their hands and letting these great players pass them by.

I think a better question is...why AREN'T these blue chippahs showing up? It's too easy an answer to say they (coaches) aren't contacting them. Just too easy an answer.
    I think you misinterpret what I'm getting at when I mention the need for more aggressive recruiting. I can absolutely understand why you might read what I wrote and assume that I'm implying they're not 'trying' - but that is not what I mean to say. Recruiting is a results based business. The results UNH has been getting have been slow to develop and they haven't been good enough. This indicates to me that something needs to change - in terms of targeting kids earlier or younger, offering more money, being more persistent or vivid in terms of communicating and establishing relationships, reaching out to prep and club coaches or expanding recruiting pools. Something. Anything. They need to be more creative. Now.

Aggressiveness to me is about taking more chances. Adding a sense of urgency. Differentiating the program and the opportunity, etc. Its hard to look at the recruiting results and not imagine a strategy that takes recruiting as it comes, showcasing a conservative approach to making offers and to how much is offered. An uncertainty. A haphazard vision/plan. A willingness to settle for role players early. Maybe I'm wrong - but as I've said before the alternative is they're doing everything right and they just can't close. That's a much bigger problem without much of a solution. So I hope its the former...

Northeastern is the perfect example. They've taken a torrid approach on the recruiting trail since Madigan took over. He has led a staff that has thrown money at 15-16 year olds like they're printing it beneath Matthews Arena. That's how a program with zero history of winning, awful and dated facilities (though historic) and with an (IMO) horrible head coach has reeled in talent. You mentioned the Beanpot - that tournament only matters to BC/BU recruits (and in reality the Beanpot is way down the list of reasons they choose those two schools - NHL Dreams is far and away #1). Kids go to Harvard for the academics. Northeastern has always been a fall-back school. Until now. Now its a first and aggressive offer type school and it has paid off in terms of the talent they're bringing in. CC is another. They were horrendous a couple years ago. They threw money at Halloran and Bergh and told them they'd come in an score a ton of points right away. Its paying off in spades. Now they've landed Cruikshank by throwing him a full-ride. They've brought in HUGE classes and kept the kids who made an impact.

This is the type of aggression that UNH is missing - Like Watcher pointed out, they appear to still be recruiting as if they are the program they used to be. They're too patient. They're too frugal...

---

Once again, here's how far 18-Scholarships can go if you spend aggressively...

Full - Full - Full
    Full - Full - Full
    Full - Full - Full
    Half - Half - Half
    Walk - Walk - Walk

Full - Full
    Full - Full
    Half - Half
    Half - Walk

Full
    Full
    Walk

Right now, UNH is spreading money around to generously - a cautious approach to cover its bases if they miss on a more high-profile kids. They're not in a position to do this. Kids like Miller, Cefalu, Sato, Fregona, Boyd, Dawson, etc are getting money. That's money that can't be given to top-prospects which means your settling for Nazarians, MacAdams', Salvaggio's as your top-six forwards instead of kids who really have the talent to play those roles. You can add depth through walk-ons. If that type of player doesn't want to come for free - grab the next player (with similar talent) who will come for free. Save the money for the top kids and throw it at them, even if you miss once in a while...

UNH doesn't seem to be willing or interested in taking chances on a lot of projectable kids early. Kids will jump on and be enamored with their first offer - see Commesso and all the young kids jumping at offers from other schools. They appear to want to wait until a kid proves himself - unfortunately, at that point he's likely off the market. That leaves UNH with its choice of projects and projected role players at the NCAA level. These aren't the difference makers they need...

Offer more money - that's a form of aggression that is missing. Targeting the top kids before anyone else - that's a form of aggression that is missing. Hound club coaches and prospects with your new vision for the program so that it becomes perception in recruiting circles - that's a form of aggression that is missing. The approach is too conservative right now. Its too laissez-faire. Its not paying dividends and the results speak for themselves. Ive never argued that they're not trying or working hard. I'm arguing that their approach seems better suited for UNH Hockey circa 2000 (when kids were lined up). Their recruiting methods need to change based on what the program is now. If they're doing all of this and its still not working then the change needs to be the personnel doing the recruiting...
    Last edited by Dan; 02-12-2018, 10:57 AM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Aggressiveness to me is about taking more chances. Adding a sense of urgency. Differentiating the program and the opportunity, etc. Its hard to look at the recruiting results and not imagine a strategy that takes recruiting as it comes, showcasing a conservative approach to making offers and to how much is offered. An uncertainty. A haphazard vision/plan. A willingness to settle for role players early. Maybe I'm wrong - but as I've said before the alternative is they're doing everything right and they just can't close.
      Occam's razor. Sometimes people just aren't closers or aren't offering an exciting product (see below), in which case you need an exceptional closer or you get a co-coach who makes the product better.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Northeastern is the perfect example. They've taken a torrid approach on the recruiting trail since Madigan took over. He has led a staff that has thrown money at 15-16 year olds like they're printing it beneath Matthews Arena. That's how a program with zero history of winning, awful and dated facilities (though historic) and with an (IMO) horrible head coach has reeled in talent. You mentioned the Beanpot - that tournament only matters to BC/BU recruits (and in reality the Beanpot is way down the list of reasons they choose those two schools - NHL Dreams is far and away #1). Kids go to Harvard for the academics. Northeastern has always been a fall-back school. Until now. Now its a first and aggressive offer type school and it has paid off in terms of the talent they're bringing in.
      Northeastern is an interesting model in two ways. First, they were on a great path when they hired Greg Cronin, who aggressively *ahem* helped rebuild by getting early commitments from top end kids. He was the driven type that had a decent track record -- under Shawn Walsh as a graduate assistant (wow, you mean you can mentor youngsters, and give them a taste of a winning team, rather than taking the talented kids and recommending them for jobs elsewhere at low DI teams). He was then interim at Maine, assistant at NCAA teams at Colorado, then had USA National experience and pro experience, so when hired by Northeastern, quickly got recruits on board, including Jon Gillies and Cam Darcy. That's the easy "jump on board, I've done this and I will do it" story a recruit will buy.

So, that brings us to Northeastern replacing him. They chose Jim Madigan, a guy who had early experience as an assistant, but dropped out of hockey to become an administrator. When they put him in place, it took him a long while to get any traction, because he was not in the game and recruits didn't know him. If you check the Northeastern thread, they were calling for his head up to a couple of years ago. What happened then? Did he suddenly become a known name in the field? No. He hired Jerry Keefe in 2011.

Jerry Keefe
      Associate Head Coach
      Jerry Keefe enters his seventh season at Northeastern, and fourth as associate head coach. Keefe served as the assistant coach for three seasons before being promoted to his current post in 2014. Keefe has established himself as a notable name in the New England college hockey ranks, making stops at Westfield State and UMass Boston before his two seasons at Brown from 2009 to 2011. Keefe has also gained valuable experience through many different capacities with USA Hockey.

Keefe oversees the Huskies’ power play unit and holds a significant role in Northeastern’s recruiting process, including the recruitment of All-Americans Kevin Roy and Zach Aston-Reese, as well as current Edmonton Oilers defenseman Matt Benning. He was also at the forefront of the recruitment of Northeastern's current NHL draft picks Dylan Sikura (Chicago), Nolan Stevens (St. Louis), Adam Gaudette (Vancouver), Jeremy Davies (New Jersey), Matt Filipe (Carolina), Ryan Shea (Chicago) and Cayden Primeau (Montreal).

The Huskies are coming off an 18-15-5 season in 2016-17, marking the first time since 1943 that Northeastern has had four straight seasons with a record of .500 or above. Senior Zach Aston-Reese had one of the most impressive individual seasons in team history with 63 points in 38 games, the most for a Husky in more than 30 years en route to Hockey East Player of the Year, CCM/ACHA First Team All-American and Hobey Baker Hat Trick Finalist honors. He finished the year either tied for or owning the nation's lead in points per game (1.66), goals per game (0.82), total goals (31), multi-goal games (eight) and hat tricks (three). Dylan Sikura (57 points) and Adam Gaudette (52 points) also finished in the top-ten in scoring nationally.

In his second year at Northeastern, Keefe was instrumental in Northeastern’s first victory over Boston University in the Beanpot Tournament in 25 years. Keefe’s impression was also felt through the recruiting class he ushered in as Northeastern’s freshmen class led the way with 77 points (24-53-77) in 2012-13.

In his first season on NU’s bench, Keefe assisted the Huskies to their fifth-longest unbeaten streak in program history. He also helped lead Northeastern to three road victories against the No. 2 ranked team in the country during the 2011-12 season.

In his first season behind the bench with Brown in 2009-10, Keefe helped direct the Bears to an ECAC semifinals berth for the first time since the 2002-03 campaign.

Keefe’s roles with USA Hockey include the Yankee Conference Team New England District head evaluator (2006-08), an instructor for New England District Festivals (2006-07), a coach for the USA Hockey Select-17 Festival in St. Cloud, Minn. (2007-08), and a coach for the Massachusetts Satellite Program (2008-present).
      To recap, he actually helped improve Brown's on ice play during his two year period. He also recruited players personally tied to him -- he recruited Kevin Roy, now in the NHL, and Zac Aston-Reese to Brown, and when he went to Northeastern, both followed him. A pretty solid statement. He then gradually improved Northeastern's profile, from bottom 9-10 to middle, and now, with a goalie, up toward the top. With a strong pipeline of recruits.

Recruiting is a skill, and he demonstrated it, even selling a less-than-exciting head coach.

To put this into UNH's perspective, UNH needs to open the vault for a proven recruiter. Souza is not Keefe. You hope he becomes Madigan, an unexciting coach who has a hard time selling himself, but reaps the benefits of an actual recruiter to can sell him to others, and gradually rebuilds a program.
      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-12-2018, 11:23 AM.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        *UNH will always be a desirable hockey location, so the underlying concern about needing to do something quickly is not apt.
        Obviously, I agree that UNH has all the potential in the world to be a desirable hockey location. I'm less certain about the second part of your sentence that needing to do something to show improvement immediately isn't critical. You are more familiar with the recruiting between the end of the Holt era and the beginning of Umile's tenure than I am - so I defer to you, but I have to wonder what becomes of UNH hockey if they don't have such immediate recruiting success under Kullen and then Umile. In the three classes directly following the 5-win season that culminated Holt's career UNH brought in the following...

• Shields, Aiken, Lazaro, Grassie
        • Winnes, Horner, Plavsic, Dean
        • Flanagan, Amodeo, Morrow, Morrow, Mitrovic

The program was in shambles, but the recruiting still paid immediate dividends and these are the players who brought UNH back to respectability and paved the way for its rise back to the top of the college hockey world. If that doesn't happen quickly does UNH ever recover? If so, how long does it take to recover?

Umass has been a great hockey location forever - but they started as, essentially, an expansion team and they've never caught up to the pack. Its only now that they've stumbled upon Carvel that there is a light at the end of the tunnel (still a ways off down that tunnel). UNH is in the basement that UMass has always occupied. Will it be that difficult for them to get out, too??

---

You're right about NU - Cronin really got the ball rolling and Madigan's assistants deserve a ton of credit. But kudos to Madigan for recognizing how the recruiting game is played, as well as his own shortcomings, and getting someone capable into the position of need! I think he is an awful coach - they are so streaky, they lose to AHA teams and lesser programs all the time, he never makes adjustments, etc, but they're still in NCAA Tournament position often because they have talent. Talent trumps everything...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

I can't think of a better place to play than here!
          So not to be critical (and I'm not sure how much of that was tongue in cheek, either).

For anyone to think, however, that the same desires that have afflicted everyone else in the country don't apply here is a touch naive. There used to be a time when every football player wanted to play for Notre Dame, too. But those times have changed. Social media, a million games (and venues) on TV every night have "opened the eyes" of kids all over the country. They want to go where the "action" is. That's not UNH (or Maine). You have to sort of be realistic here. If you're a 16 year old high school kid and you can go to a warm weather climate (I mean, you can go to Arizona State now, who is building a beautiful new arena - and how many people don't think that many other Pac-12 schools will soon follow? And that will open up California), you do it. Look at how the balance of power in football has shifted from the Northeast to the South and West. If you can't have warm weather, then you at least want to go to a city where there is lots going on (and I'm not talking about Portsmouth ).

It's a sobering reality, but it's going to be tougher to get these kids now. Walsh had success recruiting to Orono (the absolute middle of nowhere from the perspective of these kids today) because he was getting a lot of "rural" Canadians that were comfortable in that environment. And they were WINNING. (and I admit that's a chicken/egg thing) And it was 20 years ago.

Yes, the Whitt is a nice facility. But you need more than that (witness Agganis, which is less than half full for almost every game and at best is a listless, dead atmosphere - which may upset some of my BU colleagues but tough - they already know how I feel). For a midwest kid, why would they come here when the crowds and enthusiasm are much greater where they already live? Certainly not for weather, because it's the same. So if you take that away, what "advantage" does UNH offer that is going to "lure" someone away from someplace else?

This might seem harsh, but it's no longer a "regional" sport where you have "first crack" at all the "local" kids and due to familiarity and perhaps loyalty the Northeast schools are their first choice. And regarding your "Beanpot" comments, have you watched lately? There weren't 5000 people (forget what the "official" attendance says) in the building last Monday for EITHER game (forget the announced "combined" totals) and there is widespread discussion on multiple threads as we speak about the "future" of the tournament. And if you haven't noticed lately, why would most of the students at BU care about the Beanpot anyway? They have exactly SIX kids from Massachusetts on the roster (and one is from Western Mass who I'm sure couldn't have cared less about the Beanpot growing up). Most of the student body is from outside of New England/international and the school is more and more focused on academics. Sports are an afterthought. Frankly, hockey is there because it's a "legacy" sport and it would cause too much backlash to eliminate it. You saw how easily they dropped football - two years after they reached the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game in Division IAA.

Although it may be "about talent," you can still field a competitive team with good coaching. You have to work harder at it but it's not impossible. Look at Quinnipiac (for example). They got to the National Championship game. It CAN be done.

It's interesting that I'm reading almost a carbon copy of what we went through at BU during Parker's final years. There was a lot of frustration. I think you will find that the new season will bring a refreshing change. Yes, it will take time. But with a new, positive outlook, you CAN change the culture. It just takes the right person at the helm. But I sense almost a sense of panic. It's almost as if some are saying "The devil we know is better than the devil we don't." Everyone wanted Umile out of there, and now you seem to already be questioning if the "right" person is replacing him. (And I get it because we're still wondering that at BU). But only time will tell. I realize a lot of this is perhaps just speculation, but it seems to be getting "louder."

Anyway, best wishes. A strong UNH is good for the league. And we know that the league certainly needs it right now! The glory days of Hockey East dominance appear to be over and anything that will help to rejuvenate that will be welcome!

Comment

Sean Walsh also had a lot of success with city slickers like Paul Kariya (Vancouver), Jim Montgomery (Montreal), Mike Latendress (Montreal), the Ferraro brothers (suburban NYC) and Garth Snow (suburban Boston), etc. There was never any action in Orono until Walsh arrived and created it. That's what good coaches do. Good coaches understand the strengths of their university and sell them - they create new strengths, maximize what they have and sell, sell, sell with charisma and a vision. Location matters a lot less than coaching and recruiting ability - it always has and always will.

Awful Locations That Had No Action:
            Houghton, MI
            Marquette, MI
            Kalamazoo, MI
            Schenectady, NY
            Ithaca, NY
            Potsdam, NY
            Mankato, MN
            St. Cloud, MN
            Colorado Springs, CO
            Columbus, OH
            Duluth, MN
            Bowling Green, OH
            Oxford, OH
            Cambridge, MA
            The Wrong Side of Boston, MA
            Lowell, MA
            Omaha, NE
            New Haven, CT
            Hampden, CT
            Big Rapids, MI

HC Coaching/Coached in Awful Locations That Created Action over UNH's five-year Decline:
            Mel Pearson
            Grant Potulny
            Andy Murray
            Leaman/Bennet
            Mike Schafer
            Casey Jones
            Mike Hastings
            Bob Motzko
            Mike Haviland
            Steve Rohlik
            Scott Sandelin
            Chris Bergeron
            Enrico Blasi
            Ted Donato
            Jim Madigan
            Norm Bazin
            Dean Blaise
            Keith Allain
            Rand Pecknold
            Bob Daniels

If you're a good coach and recruiter (and you care/win) you can sell kids on going anywhere. That has always been the case and always will be. It would certainly be easier for Bob Motzko or Scott Sandelin to recruit to Minneapolis and UM than it is to SCSU/UMD - but since they have the ability they can do it anywhere. Maybe Lucia's success is in large-part due to where he coaches. Its true he has a lot of built in advantages. Yet, St. Cloud and UMD go toe-to-toe with UM for Minneapolis and Minnesota kids. Suddenly, with legit recruiters, the big school/big budget/big city excuses disappear...

Location is irrelevant to the right coach. I went to Miami University, a school of 16,000 in a town of 6,000 an hour away from the nearest city and highway. That didn't stop Enrico Blasi from building a winner (when he had great assistants). I NEVER missed the 'action', because I was a college student surrounded by my best friends and 15,975 other people my age living in my university bubble. So often, as adults, we look at school locations as desirable or undesirable places to live. College kids don't care about museums, parks, fine or diverse dining experiences, school systems, etc. I worked at a university in a major city - and believe me, being in the city did not help us it hurt us. All else being equal, kids want campuses.

Universities draw recruits to their hockey program because of the coaches on the staff. Those coaches sell, win and develop. And kids want to win and develop - they don't care where that happens. If UNH, UMaine or Moon State can find a coach who can sell, recruit, win and develop they'll be back. Yes, its more difficult than recruiting to Michigan or BU - but we need to stop pretending its impossible and UNH is at some steep disadvantage. All the schools above have created action in their sub-optimal locations and they're winning as a result. There are also a number of big schools who have not had success until recently making top coaching hires (OSU, ND, MSU, PC, HU, UNO, etc.).

The sheer amount of schools who have made recent, strong coaching/recruiting hires and vaulted themselves back to the top is astounding. Its all the proof we need to understand that all the rationalizations we want to make for why school X can't compete or why school Y is at a disadvantage are nothing more than chatter. The right coach. That is all the chatter that matters...

If Jim Montgomery goes to Maine - he's recruiting like a bear and they're winning. He's not winning at DU because of the facilities or the location. He is winning because he flat out gets after it...
            Last edited by Dan; 02-12-2018, 02:24 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

I really appreciate the commentary that my post brought this morning. A lot of constructive, honest reflections of what the U of NH needs to do to get back on track. As for my comment about playing here, sure, "I Believe In UNH" but trust me, I'm not that naive!!! There might have been a time in a galaxy far, far away when hockey was not as popular as it is today and when UNH was winning their heads off, prospects dreamed of playing here. And I'm sure many still do. But as was pointed out, we are not as attractive as we once might have been. Even DU has said they have to upgrade facilities to assist recruiting. Kids aren't that enamored with what WAS either (as was pointed out) they are all about the immediate and just how fast can I get from point A to point B.

As far as the Beanpot goes, tell that to the NESN announcers; that's all they talk about! How so and so is playing for Harvard, BC, BU or NU because of this tournament...how exciting Boston is, yada yada yada. Anyway, I'm sure that's not the main reason Jack Eichel chose BU. But I bet that figured into it, not to mention facilities, etc. I heard he once 'thought about' UNH but then it was pointed out by someone here that he attended a summer camp and that's where that 'lore' got started.

Anyway, I get how many feel here; the 3 year plan certainly was not the norm. A national search was not done. But these are our cards. I'm willing to trust in the process 'coz that's the kind of person I am. I'm looking at a 3 to 5 year plan (I'll be retired then yippeee and can go to any/all hockey games I want... , when I want) and fully expect to be competitive again. If not, I'm going to whine. And no one likes it when I whine.
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Few quick thoughts as it's quite busy in the office.

There is no one-size fits all for getting to the top or close to it.

That being said, UNH like any other program needs to find one of those ways, commit to it, and make that their identity. Almost all of these paths are quick, short trips to the top and then back down with the blue bloods really being the only ones that have staying power and even that isn't guaranteed although it is almost the inverse for them; quick short trips to mediocrity if you lose your identity and/or your coach becomes old and detached (retina) or your players can't stop sexually assaulting the coeds on "campus".

-You can get a coach that cheats excessively and recruits euro mercenaries and academic deplorables like Maine. That worked for a while.
                -You can recruit 24 and 25 year old Canadian knuckle draggers and mix in a euro or two. That seems to be working briefly for many teams when goaltending lines up nicely as they take their shot at the title before sliding back down. Quinnipiac, Merrimack, UMass Lowell.
                -You can hire a young, exciting coach that knows how to recruit and puts together a great team (and wins a title thanks to some bookies that asked a goalie to throw the puck into his own net.) Worked for a while... Providence.

Sure you could say, these are 5 things recruits want and UNH offers almost none of them, and you'd be absolutely right. Is the point to win trophies or just get participation ribbons? It's to win MFing trophies and so you change things up until you find that Nate Leaman kind of guy for you. Are the chances slim that UNH returns to the top? Absolutely. But you die trying for that trophy, not saying "things could be a lot worse" while kissing your participation ribbons.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  Few quick thoughts as it's quite busy in the office.

There is no one-size fits all for getting to the top or close to it.

That being said, UNH like any other program needs to find one of those ways, commit to it, and make that their identity. Almost all of these paths are quick, short trips to the top and then back down with the blue bloods really being the only ones that have staying power and even that isn't guaranteed although it is almost the inverse for them; quick short trips to mediocrity if you lose your identity and/or your coach becomes old and detached (retina) or your players can't stop sexually assaulting the coeds on "campus".

-You can get a coach that cheats excessively and recruits euro mercenaries and academic deplorables like Maine. That worked for a while.
                  -You can recruit 24 and 25 year old Canadian knuckle draggers and mix in a euro or two. That seems to be working briefly for many teams when goaltending lines up nicely as they take their shot at the title before sliding back down. Quinnipiac, Merrimack, UMass Lowell.
                  -You can hire a young, exciting coach that knows how to recruit and puts together a great team (and wins a title thanks to some bookies that asked a goalie to throw the puck into his own net.) Worked for a while... Providence.

Sure you could say, these are 5 things recruits want and UNH offers almost none of them, and you'd be absolutely right. Is the point to win trophies or just get participation ribbons? It's to win MFing trophies and so you change things up until you find that Nate Leaman kind of guy for you. Are the chances slim that UNH returns to the top? Absolutely. But you die trying for that trophy, not saying "things could be a lot worse" while kissing your participation ribbons.
                  Ouch...I was trying to be a little subtle...

Comment

Interesting thread. The first thing I’ll say is that the most important decision Mike Souza makes as UNH head coach will be his first one. Who does he hire to replace him? A former UNH player with ties to the Middlesex League told me it would be White. A long time season ticket holder who has played golf with Umile on several occasions told me the scuttlebut was Lassonde. I had not heard Mowers before but I’d be surprised. He scouts for Montreal, the NHL. He makes more money and, I dare say, with less travel than if he came to UNH. As much as he loves the school, and I have seen him there quite a bit over the past few years, I don’t think it will be him. I’m hoping Souza is thinking outside the box. Is there someone he has come across in his assistant days at Brown or UConn who has impressed him, someone perhaps with a personality a bit more fiery than his? I’m hoping that the new head coach recognizes his limitations and the limitations of making the coaching staff one big happy UNH family. The program needs someone who is going to take chances. To me the demise started when we got too cute, deferring kids for example. We need to get kids in here a year early and, assuming they can play, full rides. No money for fourth line muckers until they prove they’ve earned it. That’s the way it was in the glory days.

All this being said, I am confident that UNH can get back there. I mean, I’ve been to Union (twice) in freakin Schenectady, NY. I’ve been to Potsdam, Troy, Orono and even Oxford , OH. Dan you’re a bit cute about Oxford. The town seems to be devoid of any retail establishments that cater to anybody but college students. My weekend there was akin to Disney World for the college set. Anyway, I digress. UNH fans know what a winner looks like and what they have seen the past several years just doesn’t cut it. Will they come back in droves like the old days? Nope,,because that is not college hockey anymore. Too many distractions. But if they can start winning games (is 20 in a couple of years too much to ask?) a real number crowed of 4-5,000 is possible. But it all starts with recruiting and who the lead dog is. No safe choices Michael!

Comment

Watching the performance this weekend, I was dismayed by the quality of play by both teams. In 1997 I seem to remember a great game where UNH had Boguniecki, Mowers and Krog, against a UVM team with Marty St. Louis, Eric Perrin and Tim Thomas; wow, those were the days. It is sad to see the depths to which the programs have fallen; UNH is 46th in the PWR (the lowest that I can remember), just one above UVM which at 47th is the worst in Hockey East.

A good coach could reverse this, as Dan notes so persuasively above. Sousa has not proven that he will be capable, but there is always the chance. I would vote for a short leash and a national search where the AD is assisted by a panel of experts.

BTW, Lassonde would be a great addition.
                      Go Cats
                      Former HEA Champions

Comment

As far as the Beanpot goes, tell that to the NESN announcers; that's all they talk about!
                        Well, yes, because they are broadcasting the games so they have to promote them. Personally (as someone who went every year for years), I just have a difficult time going to ANY sporting event that has no atmosphere, enthusiasm, etc. I stopped going to high school football games five years ago. We used to have 10-12 thousand every year at the Thanksgiving game. This year was something like 1500. I'm not saying it's the same for everyone - just speaking for myself. You don't miss what you never knew. But for me, it just doesn't cut it. I will also admit that I am somewhat obsessed over this whole "attendance" thing and have a been a frequent contributor to all of the threads that discuss it.

The entire "dehumanization" of society with the "perfect" behavior and inability to look at someone the wrong way without being "castigated" has really soured my enthusiasm. I go to these games and watch people just sit on their hands. There was even one woman who brought a book to every game and sat there and read, never looking up once. The entire "antiseptic" nature of everything is disheartening. At BU now they have the "crowd police." Security people disguised as looking for "bad or offensive" language but it's really a euphemism for behavior control. No wonder people stay home. Nobody "cheers" anymore. They just politely clap - for about five seconds and then they stick their heads back into their phones.

I frequently mention that clip that (I think) C-H-C posted awhile ago of the UNH/RPI game when UNH scored three goals in just over a minute at Snively. The place went absolutely beserk. Just unbridled joy and enthusiasm. You never see that anymore. It's just really not any fun to go in today's environment. Society is changing, and NOT for the better. Pretty soon we will all be robotic, with chips implanted to control our "tendencies." I'm just thankful I grew up when I did because I don't think I want to see what things will be like in 25 years...

Comment

Take them away from their 'BeanPot Dreams' of playing for a Boston school? I had this same convo at the 'Whitt before a game with someone who felt that UNH just needs to attract these players away from the Boston schools.
                          Do yourself a favor. Stop listening to nitwits.
                          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                            Not every Boston kid looks at the Beanpot as the be all, end all. UNH has plenty of guys over the years, including Umile, Ralph Cox, Bob Miller, Sean Collins, Steve Saviano, Bobby Butler, who gave a collective shrug about the Beanpot. And I say this being one who attended his first Beanpot in 1965 and has been to just about every one since (not this year or last unfortunately), the tournament has lost its luster. The four schools have more and more students who are not interested in the sport, the young alumni don’t stick around Boston and the older ones have lost interest. Old BC coach Snooks Kelly used to refer to the Beanpot as an “athletic and social must.” Not any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                              Sigh. Seriously...and, really wasn't listening to him...more to the story kind of thing.
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-12-2018, 06:58 PM.
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• The Beanpot is nothing more than a lame Governor's Cup knock-off...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X