This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Snively let me know when we can connect for the bobblehead/ shirt exchange! Enjoy your time in New Zealand!! Maybe see you if/when we all convene at Libby's if not sooner? My home ice vote seems impossible now; but if we do go to Yukon my husband's robotics team is competing at WPI that same weekend so it's just a short trip down to the XL, if that's where we end up that is.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Huge crowd last night....and the hockey alums that came to pay tribute to Coach Umile was nothing short of amazing. Definitely the biggest night of the season.

The 'Cats had a bigger jump in their steps last night after the Friday night debacle, the trouble was UVM was not backing down and was matching UNH in their intensity. Not 100% disappointed with the tie, but as we have all seen many times this season, the W was clearly in their grasp.

Unless a miracle happens over the next two weeks, I'd say home ice is out of reach at this point. Never thought that we would be behind UMA in the standings this late in the season.
      UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Snively let me know when we can connect for the bobblehead/ shirt exchange! Enjoy your time in New Zealand!! Maybe see you if/when we all convene at Libby's if not sooner? My home ice vote seems impossible now; but if we do go to Yukon my husband's robotics team is competing at WPI that same weekend so it's just a short trip down to the XL, if that's where we end up that is.
        Libby's sounds good; thanks again, HR.

Here is a new contest for everyone to consider entering, especially those out of the running in the other contests. This contest is called the MBPBEWAC (you can figure it out, a tribute to Chuck). Which Wildcat(s) will reach double digit goals scored this season? At the moment there are seven players with 7 or more.
        Last edited by Snively65; 02-11-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

A former player commented about the small crowd, lack of enthusiasm. I explained it was the largest, most enthusiastic crowd not only this, but the past few seasons. Sigh.

Listening to him speak of his relationship with coach, hearing his emotion, seeing it on his face and hearing his annoyance that more people did not come out to honor Coach... THAT's what UNH hockey is all about.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I was disappointed in last night's events.
            1. First and foremost, where were the fans? I don't believe the 6000 they listed. And where were the students? It was an embarrassment. Not sure a recruit would have been impressed.
            2. I thought there would have been more alums attending especially from recent years. And I counted only 3 videos (Krog, Bekar, Butler). Where were MM, Bogey, JVR and others? Instead we got the stupid TV and movie clips.
            3. Whose idea was it to give out bobbleheads? Ugh.
            4. To extend my complaints: the Umile photo used on the ticket packet and other places looks like he's smelling a you know what. Who picked that? And one of the ticket photos shows a "99 Championship" with Haydar wearing a "C" on his sweater - sloppy work.
            5. I'll get picky: why did Bertagna stand in the middle for the award photo? The honoree is supposed to be in the middle and if JB and MS don't realize that, the photographer should.
            6. Any positives? It was a class act by UVM to circle around and shake Umile's hand.
            I'll stop now......

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
              A former player commented about the small crowd, lack of enthusiasm. I explained it was the largest, most enthusiastic crowd not only this, but the past few seasons. Sigh.

Listening to him speak of his relationship with coach, hearing his emotion, seeing it on his face and hearing his annoyance that more people did not come out to honor Coach... THAT's what UNH hockey is all about.
              This.
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-11-2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Libby's sounds good; thanks again, HR.

Here is a new contest for everyone to consider entering, especially those out of the running in the other contests. This contest is called the MBPBEWAC (you can figure it out, a tribute to Chuck). Which Wildcat(s) will reach double digit goals scored this season? At the moment there are seven players with 7 or more.
                I'd go with Vela and Nazarian. Seeing how I'm out of the where the 'Cats will play in the post season, not to mention the NRN contest, maybe I have a shot at this one!
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-11-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  I'd go with Vela and Nazarian. Seeing how I'm out of the where the 'Cats will play in the post season, not to mention the NRN contest, maybe I have a shot at this one!
                  Good luck to you and anyone else who dares to enter the Make Believe Phony Baloney Everyone Wins a Contest (apologies to Chuck).

I am going with McNicholas and Nazarian.

Comment

Based on recent history, I would not be surprised to see them go with Chris Miller and Matt Dawson...

Comment

In watching from home due to current lack of mobility, I also was surprised at the smallish crowd.......I agree that it was nice to see so many Alums did return for Umile.......it’s hard to compare a packed room in the MUB 35 years ago when we had the tribute for Coach Holt’s retirement but Dickie has done all of UNH proud, even his critics.....while we still have no NC while others do, they do not have the same politics of a State Univ. and $$$$ issues that we have.......Umile kept UNH hockey a program we’re all proud of.....we are a family! And yes, THAT is worth more than any piece of metal! I am sorry I couldn’t have been there to honor Umile.....he deserves his accolades! Another era of UNH hockey passes the torch.....best of luck Mike and Stewy! Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                        Based on recent history, I would not be surprised to see them go with Chris Miller and Matt Dawson...
                        For what? Captains for next season?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          For what? Captains for next season?
                          Yeah, like I said, based on the recent history of our captain selections it would seem about right. Not that I want to see that but guys who are borderline to making the lineup becoming seniors have been the selections of the day recently...

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                            Yeah, like I said, based on the recent history of our captain selections it would seem about right. Not that I want to see that but guys who are borderline to making the lineup becoming seniors have been the selections of the day recently...
                            Are we in a new contest? I guess I'm just wondering where this came from lol....If it's Snivelly65's latest, isn't it about who gets into double digits goal wise? Whatever! I think you'd be right if that was it...haha....but I'm going with Vela/Nazarian for C and Assistant C if / when that contest rolls around!!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                              while we still have no NC while others do, they do not have the same politics of a State Univ.
                              Admissions department!! Just think last night could have been Dick Umile Night with a Johnny Gaudreau UNH jersey retirement ceremony. Sure Paul Pierce and Isiaiah Thomas couldn't share a night but surely Dick and Johnny would!
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                                In watching from home due to current lack of mobility, I also was surprised at the smallish crowd.......I agree that it was nice to see so many Alums did return for Umile.......it’s hard to compare a packed room in the MUB 35 years ago when we had the tribute for Coach Holt’s retirement but Dickie has done all of UNH proud, even his critics.....while we still have no NC while others do, they do not have the same politics of a State Univ. and $$$$ issues that we have.......Umile kept UNH hockey a program we’re all proud of.....we are a family! And yes, THAT is worth more than any piece of metal! I am sorry I couldn’t have been there to honor Umile.....he deserves his accolades! Another era of UNH hockey passes the torch.....best of luck Mike and Stewy! Go Cats!
                                Nice heartfelt post zoofer...I'm sure many who have followed his career with its many ups, as well as disappointing downs, would agree with you 100% that he is indeed deserving of these accolades. It's all part of the history of the school and a sport we all love so well. Best wishes to you...

Comment

Working...
                                X