This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
    Kinda ironic (or seacoast karma) that Tirone should sign with Wheeling (the Buckley connection not withstanding), as that was also the initial landing spot (2015) for erstwhile UNH keeper Casey DeSmith, who rode the pine for the Nailers as a healthy scratch for much of his first few months there, blocked by none other than ANOTHER former UNH net-minder = Brian Foster. When Foster faded, CDS moved up the depth chart, and now Foster is out of hockey and CdS (after some further seasoning at Scranton/WB in the AHL) is starting/winning games as Matt Murray's backup in Pittsburgh. The Durham --> Wheeling shuffle is clearly a well-worn path for UNH 'keepers; best of luck to him!

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/ca...cy/c-295406192

It's always nice to see former 'Cats having success as pros, but so many never seem to make the leap from AA Leagues like the ECHL (or their European counter-parts) to better leagues like the AHL, etc. Whether that's a reflection of the talent ceiling our recent graduates (nee recruits not that long ago) are up against I'll leave to others to infer ...
    And, I seem to recall that CDS got chased by the Bruins 10 days ago after giving up 3 goals on the five SOG that he faced to start the game.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
      Actually there are 4, Matias Cleland is also with the Royals after being reassigned from Florida. DT expected to make his first start tonight. ECHL hockey is what it is, but at least it's something.
      Hard to blame these guys trying to make a go of it at any pro level - you never know what might happen, work hard, get the right break, and you end up with a legitimate paying career. At worst, even if you can't parlay things into an NHL career, you make connections in the industry that lands you a job in coaching, scouting, equipment design/sales, etc. I'm usually one who downplays the quality of what I casually refer to as "goon league (sub-AHL) hockey", but I do understand why these guys are doing it. And so long as they take care of their education first, then why not, right? No harm, no foul, and you never have to ask yourself "what if?" when you finally hang 'em up.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
        Actually there are 4, Matias Cleland is also with the Royals after being reassigned from Florida. DT expected to make his first start tonight. ECHL hockey is what it is, but at least it's something.
        Hey DB if you are thinking of going to the Monarchs v Reading March 21 let me know I'll work on getting some free tix...
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Even without UNH making the trek, I'm planning to head down to Boston on Friday to see the HE Tourney semis.

Wonder if Joey Buttons will have his paisan from Melrose drop in for some retirement honors or another ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Even without UNH making the trek, I'm planning to head down to Boston on Friday to see the HE Tourney semis.

Wonder if Joey Buttons will have his paisan from Melrose drop in for some retirement honors or another ...
            Poking it with a stick myself! I love going to the semis; good hockey for the $$. Went last season but was in Boston for a convention. We'll see. Who ya 'rooting' for??
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Another "who am I" contest for the celebration at Libby's.

What five HEA teams have not won its conference tourney, and which two of those teams has not played in the HEA tourney championship game? And, which HEA team(s) has/ve the highest and lowest winning percentages in the tourney championship games? So, four parts, with 1 point each.
              Last edited by Snively65; 03-12-2018, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

What five HEA teams have not won its conference tourney, and which two of those teams has not played in the HEA tourney championship game? And, which HEA team(s) has/ve the highest and lowest winning percentages in the tourney championship games? So, four parts, with 1 point each.
                Like a word problem in Math...I'm out
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Poking it with a stick myself! I love going to the semis; good hockey for the $$. Went last season but was in Boston for a convention. We'll see. Who ya 'rooting' for??
                  Northeastern, and (possibly failing that) ABBC. I've found myself less supportive of BU in the post-Parker era. So ...

(1) Northeastern
                  (2a) Providence
                  (2b) BU

(666) BC

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Five non-HE tourney winners: Merrimack, UVM, UConn, UMass Amherst, NICC (trick question!)
                    Two who have never played in the HE Finals: UConn, UVM
                    Best win percentage: UMass-Lowell (WAG)
                    Worst win percentage: Merrimack, UMass Amherst, NICC

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Five non-HE tourney winners: Merrimack, UVM, UConn, UMass Amherst, NICC (trick question!)
                      Yes, on 3 of 4! Now someone buys you a 12-oz beer at Libby's (needed 4 for 4 for a full pint); best win percentage still on the table for a 4-oz taster glass.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 03-12-2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Plenty of tickets available. I had to be in Boston this morning so I stopped by the Garden at around 11 and was able to buy upper loge tickets for Friday, Section 5 (corner) for $42 each. No club seats left.

Umile never goes unless his team is there. Although a few years ago I ran into him at the Manchester regionals. Of course UNH was hosting so he was probably compelled to be there.

Comment

Uvm lost to bc in the 2008 finals
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Uvm lost to bc in the 2008 finals
                            Oops, my bad, mookie is correct; I did not have my notes in front of me when I posted. So, with a reduction to 2.5 points, Chuck is reduced to a 10-oz pour, mookie gets a 2-oz shot (of beer), IF he can name the other team that has not been in a HEA championship game. The other 1 point and 4 oz sampler for naming the team with the best winning percentage in HEA championship games is also still on the table. One of Chuck's three teams with worst winning percentage in championship games was also incorrect, but two of three on that question rounds up to 1 point in this contest (rules are fluid).
                            Last edited by Snively65; 03-12-2018, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              Plenty of tickets available. I had to be in Boston this morning so I stopped by the Garden at around 11 and was able to buy upper loge tickets for Friday, Section 5 (corner) for $42 each. No club seats left.
                              Good move. If there wasn't an impending state of emergency and accidents everywhere I would have driven in myself. I also bought Loge tickets...for $59 each (Ticketmaster). Same seats basically (Loge 4). For those of you who aren't great at math, that's a mere FORTY PERCENT service charge.

Comment

Just read on Twitter that UNH will be replacing the Club Cat HC; announced he will retire from coaching. They competed in the Championships this past weekend and lost in the Semi's. Steve McIssaac did a great job with that program!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X