X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    4 on 4. Skating, puck control, features skill, and fewer injuries because more space for players to slip big hits, so the hitters don't gamble as much. It's save the NHL too, but cost too many jobs for players.
    Don't get me started ... I miss the hitting, I miss the fighting (NHL), and I really miss seeing goalies playing on their skates, and not on their knees constantly, just sliding back and forth, yet still big enough to fill more than half the goal with sheer size and covering angles. Raise the crossbar 6 inches, and if it doesn't work, raise it another 6.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      4 on 4. Skating, puck control, features skill, and fewer injuries because more space for players to slip big hits, so the hitters don't gamble as much. It's save the NHL too, but cost too many jobs for players.
      Watcher, the NHL doesn’t need to be saved. Save for a few places, Arizona, Carolina, Florida, Islanders, the games are pretty much sold out every night. I am a fan of box scores and one of things I look at is attendance. It’s astonishing to me that a place like Dallas sells out every game but they do. SRO in Chicago and Minnesota every night. And, frankly, the best thing that happened to the NHL was not getting a contract with ESPN. With NBC, there is a game or two on every night and most weeks there is a feature game on NBC. And, of course, wall to wall coverage during the playoffs. I think the pro game has never been in a better spot. College? Not so much. I’m going to be very curious to see what attendance is in St. Paul, especially if Minnesota isn’t there.

Comment

UNH has electrical engineering too! (son went through the program) Snively65 thought of you when I saw this article as we were discussing majors one night! I know how difficult this major is...

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/03/0...ering-studies/
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          UNH has electrical engineering too! (son went through the program) Snively65 thought of you when I saw this article as we were discussing majors one night! I know how difficult this major is...

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/03/0...ering-studies/
          HR, did you ever learn who the EE major is on our UNH team? My father almost completed a grad degree in EE; joined WWII before completing thesis.I wonder if there has ever been a geology mayor in Div 1 hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            HR, did you ever learn who the EE major is on our UNH team? My father almost completed a grad degree in EE; joined WWII before completing thesis.I wonder if there has ever been a geology mayor in Div 1 hockey?
            well I looked that time because I could have sworn I heard a player say that in a FOH meeting but turns out...nobody has that listed...Anyway...it's a TON of WORK so kudos to Michel...

Comment

FYI: Elinor Purrier (Mongomery, VT) an eight time All American at UNH .... running in her last indoor season will compete at the NCAA Indoor Championship
              at 650pm (ESPN3) Friday. On February 9 at BU she ran the 2nd best mile EVER turned in by an NCAA runner.

Michael Shanahan (Dover NH) will compete in the weight throw after throwing a New England record and is seeded in the top 10 at these NCAA's.

Coaching and recruiting is a hard combination to beat .... but then who knows about these things ..........

Comment

Tirone unsurprisingly (to me at least) signs with the Wheeling Nailers, being in the Pens system that Mike Buckley is in charge of now.

Comment

• Just a humble and offensively gifted 19 y/o Slovakian with - as of yet - no where to play college hockey next fall...

https://mobile.twitter.com/ushl/status/972326105540472832

Anyone know of any college teams looking for offense???
                  Last edited by Dan; 03-09-2018, 11:36 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                    FYI: Elinor Purrier (Mongomery, VT) an eight time All American at UNH .... running in her last indoor season will compete at the NCAA Indoor Championship
                    at 650pm (ESPN3) Friday. On February 9 at BU she ran the 2nd best mile EVER turned in by an NCAA runner.

Michael Shanahan (Dover NH) will compete in the weight throw after throwing a New England record and is seeded in the top 10 at these NCAA's.

Coaching and recruiting is a hard combination to beat .... but then who knows about these things ..........
                    Go Ellie and Michael!!!!!! Two great athletes UNH should be very proud of! BTW Snively65...heard that back up goalie Lazzarro (sp) is an Engineering major; maybe Mechanical..

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                      Tirone unsurprisingly (to me at least) signs with the Wheeling Nailers, being in the Pens system that Mike Buckley is in charge of now.
                      Very cool! I know a lot of people don't get too excited about ECHL hockey but I think any start is a good one. Tonight the Nailers are playing the Reading Royals where Matt Willows has 64 pts in 60 games! And DT joins Nick Sorkin who is having a good season. 3 UNH hockey Alums on the ice tonight potentially. Reading is in Manchester March 21 and I am planning on going and the Nailers play there the next weekend. I can usually get free tickets for those games so I'm def considering going.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Very cool! I know a lot of people don't get too excited about ECHL hockey but I think any start is a good one. Tonight the Nailers are playing the Reading Royals where Matt Willows has 64 pts in 60 games! And DT joins Nick Sorkin who is having a good season. 3 UNH hockey Alums on the ice tonight potentially. Reading is in Manchester March 21 and I am planning on going and the Nailers play there the next weekend. I can usually get free tickets for those games so I'm def considering going.
                        Actually there are 4, Matias Cleland is also with the Royals after being reassigned from Florida. DT expected to make his first start tonight. ECHL hockey is what it is, but at least it's something.

Comment

Ellie Purrier wins the Division I Indoor Mile at the NCAA's .....

Who says we can't compete with the "Big Schools" ......... it was great watching on ESPN3 as a New Hampshire jersey was worn by a National Champion.
                          If you missed it .... look it up it is worth it ....

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo6
                            Kinda ironic (or seacoast karma) that Tirone should sign with Wheeling (the Buckley connection not withstanding), as that was also the initial landing spot (2015) for erstwhile UNH keeper Casey DeSmith, who rode the pine for the Nailers as a healthy scratch for much of his first few months there, blocked by none other than ANOTHER former UNH net-minder = Brian Foster. When Foster faded, CDS moved up the depth chart, and now Foster is out of hockey and CdS (after some further seasoning at Scranton/WB in the AHL) is starting/winning games as Matt Murray's backup in Pittsburgh. The Durham --> Wheeling shuffle is clearly a well-worn path for UNH 'keepers; best of luck to him!

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/ca...cy/c-295406192

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Very cool! I know a lot of people don't get too excited about ECHL hockey, but I think any start is a good one. Tonight the Nailers are playing the Reading Royals where Matt Willows has 64 pts in 60 games! And DT joins Nick Sorkin who is having a good season. 3 UNH hockey Alums on the ice tonight potentially.
                            It's always nice to see former 'Cats having success as pros, but so many never seem to make the leap from AA Leagues like the ECHL (or their European counter-parts) to better leagues like the AHL, etc. Whether that's a reflection of the talent ceiling our recent graduates (nee recruits not that long ago) are up against I'll leave to others to infer ...

Comment

Decided to buy the feed and watch. Unfortunately he gave up five goals in the first 40 minutes and got pulled. Not entirely on him but 2 or 3 of them were due to his "athletic" style of play. Hopefully he sorts himself out in time for his next start. Matt Willows has a few points and Nick Sorkin does as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                                Decided to buy the feed and watch. Unfortunately he gave up five goals in the first 40 minutes and got pulled. Not entirely on him but 2 or 3 of them were due to his "athletic" style of play. Hopefully he sorts himself out in time for his next start. Matt Willows has a few points and Nick Sorkin does as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
                                Dang I decided to watch both the Harvard/dmouth and the BC v MC game; didn't realize he'd be playing tonight! Thanks for the update..welcome to the Pro's! Just looked at the box score he (DT) also had a penalty playing in the restricted area (which must be the trapezoid thingy?)
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-10-2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X