X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    I was a season ticket holder from the opening game at the Whit, that after weaseling my way into most games at Snively for 20 years. We gave them up last year mostly based on logic. Why should I pay good money after bad when the ticket office had promotions where you could buy two seats for twenty bucks and get hot dogs and pizza to boot. There was many a season where, if UNH played 40 games, I went to 35 or 36. I’ve been to just about every rink in the east and a fair share of the ones out west. The last two years I’ve probably been to 10 games.
    My wife and I have held season tickets since the Snively era, and four tickets a year at the Whit. We used to go to virtually every home game each year, and used to belong to FOH and even Center Ice, when that was around.

Sadly, the program has declined so dramatically that we often do not attend, although I am sure those season tickets are included in the reported attendance number. For the first time ever we are seriously thinking of dropping our tickets. It is fun to go out to dinner and see friends among the fans, but so sad to see what has happened.

The big concern now is what happens next. I am afraid that Souza is being put forward too early in his career, and will struggle for years. Despite what 1932 has said, I, and most of the fans I speak with, feel very much like Dan, Chuck, Greg and others on this post. Very sad about what has happened to a once-proud program, and very worried about what is to come.

If we stay with Souza, I would hope that someone has the wisdom to add strong support like Coach Lassonde to the team.
    Go Cats
    Former HEA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Here are some facts for the UNH Administration - presented without opinion - who thinks those of us who post on this board don't understand the reality around the program and are unduly negative...

Prior to the 2003-04 season (and I have the media guide right in front of me) UNH Hockey - despite facing many of the same budget and facility 'disadvantages' they face now was the second winningest program in NCAA Hockey over a five year span. They won games at a .725 clip over that period, second only to Michigan State. They won more than Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Denver, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, BU and BC.

Over the last five years their winning percentage was .457. Over the last three years it was .408. This year it's .406. This year per PWR and despite an easy schedule they're worse than everyone not named American International, Farris St, Niagara, Alaska, Alabama Huntsville, Arizona St, Lake Superior, Brown, RPI, St Lawrence and Anchrage...

In 2002-03 UNH led hockey east and was seventh in the country with an over capacity average attendance if 6,664 per game. The season ticket waiting list was over 900 people.

This year they 'average' 4,382 fans - but as someone who has watched all the home games online it's clear that number has been fudged like no number ever before and is more like 2,000-2,500. Anyone disagree...?

From 1996-97 to 2012-13 UNH made 15 NCAA Tournaments in 17 years.

In the last five years they've made zero - and haven't been close.

I'm the first 23 years of Umile's career at UNH the program produced 24 All-Americans. In the last five years they've had 2. In the next five years, they'll be lucky to match two. Counting this year - those two AAs will also be the only two UNH players to make an All-HE team.

The same administration and coaches have essentially presided over UNH that entire time. But sure - nothing has changed and nothing is wrong. Keep doing what your doing. You're knocking it out of the park and we're just a bunch of nut-cases making stuff up.

---

A TRUE FAN, 1932, is like a true friend. They'll be upset about what is happening and stand by the team. They'll hold you accountable and tell you what you NEED to hear and not what you want to hear. They tell the truth. The fans on this board are the true fans. Period.

The athleric department and coaches have buried their heads in the sand while they've buried the program. IT IS THEIR WORK THAT HAS PRODUCED THESE RESULTS - not chatter on these boards. Time to stop pointing the finger, ignoring feedback, creating excuses and surrounding yourselves with enablers who will tell you only what you want to hear. And I don't care if you like me saying that - that's the truth and you need to realize that, address it and get better. The alternative is things just continue to get worse and I get louder...

It's one thing to laugh at Billb when he says Umile's turtleneck is the reason they didn't finish off a title season. There are legitimate points and critiques being made on this board today. Ignore them at your own peril...

The drivel 1932 posts might as well come right out of their mouths - tell me different - and indicates that AD is doing very little to help the Souza now or moving forward, as well as he fact that the coaches still don't even understand the depths to which they've sunk the program...
      Let me say this I have seen over 250 Hockey East games since 1984 and have been to the Whit over 25x. I went prior to DU tenure as HC and I will still go after he retires. I consider it to be one of the tabernacles of college hockey, with awesome fans and a generally great product. Your complaints while noteworthy have little to do with UNH and a lot to do with the landscape of college hockey. BU without Jack Parker reminds me of Indiana without Bobby Knight. BC will likely go the same route when Jerry finally decides to hang it up too. Maine hasn’t been relevant in years PC, NU and UMASS Lowell have had a resurgence recently and when has NU ever had 7 drafted players, that’s the differences, the league top to bottom has parity and the days of guaranteed league wins are over. Also players have more schools to choose from and top players are generally spending less time in the collage ranks if the Pro teams come knocking prior to a degree. You will rebound and find your stride again but the days of making the NCAA tournament as a near lock year in and year out are long over for most teams and fans are going to have to accept that the days of 4 or 5 HE teams into the NCAA tournament aren’t going to happen like they did in the past either. There is parity in hockey and a once joke called of a back water in Atlantic Hockey can beat you any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Programs like QU, CT and Bentley are going to draft the locks you once had even if they were stars at Bishop Guerin , Kimball Union, Holderness or Proctor, and other spots that historically eed the program with top local talent. Now it's all about how to grab a few of those Canadian Farm Boys and kids form places like Florida and California and UNH may not be the sexist spot for that kid, so you need to have a salesman for a coach and I think you have one on the way! To don't give up the ship..free hot dogs aren't that bad!
      Last edited by RossiRules; 02-18-2018, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        I was a season ticket holder from the opening game at the Whit, that after weaseling my way into most games at Snively for 20 years. We gave them up last year mostly based on logic. Why should I pay good money after bad when the ticket office had promotions where you could buy two seats for twenty bucks and get hot dogs and pizza to boot. There was many a season where, if UNH played 40 games, I went to 35 or 36. I’ve been to just about every rink in the east and a fair share of the ones out west. The last two years I’ve probably been to 10 games.
        Exactly. As a senior, I pay $12 general admission now, and sit or stand anywhere that I want, and usually stand on the top row in the section south of the band for the first period to get energized by the students in that section, then adjacent to my STH cousins for the second and third periods, as few of the STH's adjacent to them show up any longer. I attend more UNH away games than those at the Whitt, which is a 150- or 180-mile round trip drive for me. I still enjoy the games that I do attend, even when we choke, as I simply like seeing hockey in person. Despite the Bruins showing signs of competiveness again, I refuse to pay $100+ for a seat at the Garden. Sure wish that UNH would return to Garden again, as I always attend those games.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Exactly. As a senior, I pay $12 general admission now, and sit or stand anywhere that I want, and usually stand on the top row in the section south of the band for the first period to get energized by the students in that section, then adjacent to my STH cousins for the second and third periods, as few of the STH's adjacent to them show up any longer. I attend more UNH away games than those at the Whitt, which is a 150- or 180-mile round trip drive for me. I still enjoy the games that I do attend, even when we choke, as I simply like seeing hockey in person. Despite the Bruins showing signs of competiveness again, I refuse to pay $100+ for a seat at the Garden. Sure wish that UNH would return to Garden again, as I always attend those games.
          Not to mention you get to schmooze with the HockeyRef, now dubbed "HockeyRef, the Renegade Fan" Always good to see you there Snively65 (as well as the rest of yas)
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
            Let me say this I have seen over 250 Hockey East games since 1984 and have been to the Whit over 25x. I went prior to DU tenure as HC and I will still go after he retires. I consider it to be one of the tabernacles of college hockey, with awesome fans and a generally great product. Your complaints while noteworthy have little to do with UNH and a lot to do with the landscape of college hockey. BU without Jack Parker reminds me of Indiana without Bobby Knight. BC will likely go the same route when Jerry finally decides to hang it up too. Maine hasn’t been relevant in years PC, NU and UMASS Lowell have had a resurgence recently and when has NU ever had 7 drafted players, that’s the differences, the league top to bottom has parity and the days of guaranteed league wins are over. Also players have more schools to choose from and top players are generally spending less time in the collage ranks if the Pro teams come knocking prior to a degree. You will rebound and find your stride again but the days of making the NCAA tournament as a near lock year in and year out are long over for most teams and fans are going to have to accept that the days of 4 or 5 HE teams into the NCAA tournament aren’t going to happen like they did in the past either. There is parity in hockey and a once joke called of a back water in Atlantic Hockey can beat you any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Programs like QU, CT and Bentley are going to draft the locks you once had even if they were stars at Bishop Guerin , Kimball Union, Holderness or Proctor, and other spots that historically eed the program with top local talent. Now it's all about how to grab a few of those Canadian Farm Boys and kids form places like Florida and California and UNH may not be the sexist spot for that kid, so you need to have a salesman for a coach and I think you have one on the way! To don't give up the ship..free hot dogs aren't that bad!
            Well you makes some great points esp about the parity in college hockey that wasn't there back in 'the day'. But I'm not sure when the landscape started to shift...All I know is that teams like UML, PC etc made their moves to where they are today (well UML's season not quite but it's not over yet) prob what, 5, 6 years ago? I'm also a firm believer that things go in cycles...you can't always be great but you can at least, be good? I'm hoping for a turn around in the next couple of seasons, heck, even next season. (Even the end of this one...?)

Nothing is the same, but you still have to do what you did in the first place to even get considered for the opps you mention, and I think that's what many fans (here anyway) are talking about; decent recruiting and seeing that we are making in roads there hopefully with a couple of additions, that's what's needed. Hot dogs aren't QUITE free YET at the 'Whitt; but hey you never know.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
              My point wasn't to say that UNH should be as successful as they were back in their hey-day but to show exactly how far they have fallen since the beginning of the current athletic administrations' tenure to today. Still, I think as an outside fan, you are unaware of just how precipitous and self-inflicted that fall has been - and thats understandable. Too the UNH fans in this thread its clear when and where significant mistakes were made by both the AD and coaching staffs and how those mistakes have cost UNH dearly. You mention parity - and its a good point - but with all the parity in college hockey today UNH has still managed a well below .500 mark over the past five seasons and has come nowhere near the NCAA Tournament. That illustrates even more how far UNH has fallen and how poorly the program has been mismanaged does it not...??

When this year's NCAA Tournament rolls around UNH will miss the tournament for the fifth-straight season. They last made the field in 2013 - soon to be six tournaments ago. If the tournament field was announced today (per bracketology) two teams would be making their sixth straight trip to the dance, four teams would make their fifth field in six years and three more would make their fourth appearance in that span. So the idea that parity exists in college hockey is true, but not prohibitive to building consistently competitive teams.

BU is dramatically better now than they were at the end of the Parker era and set up for a long run of future success. BU fans like to complain because they anoint themselves as the favorites every pre-season and have then turned out to be just another very good team each year. Since David Quinn took over BU has won 59% of their games - this includes a horrendous first year when he had to dig out of the mess Parker left him. Remove that year and his win-percentage is .642. Quinn has won two HS regular-season titles, made three NCAA Tournaments (with a chance remaining to make it four-straight), lost a title game when his AA goalie fumbled one into his own net and lost a regional final last season in OT. Indiana basketball should be so lucky. Quinn has BU in the mix EVERY SEASON - and that is all you can ask for, because if you're in the mix you have a chance to win in tall.

The difference between the UNH/BU 'next-coach' scenarios are that BU performed an in-depth, national search and hired a coach with 10 years as a college assistant, one year as an NHL assistant and three seasons as an AHL head coach. UNH performed no search and hired a coach with four years of experience at any level. So far the success rate on the recruiting trail has corresponded exactly as you might have expected it would based on resume...

UNH hasn't been in the mix for years and doesn't appear to be headed towards the mix any time soon. And again, this is not just a symptom of parity but the result of a series of self-inflicted mistakes in administration, coaching and recruiting. The car salesman you reference so highly has been the lead recruiter at UNH for three seasons already. Its easy to glance at UNH's situation from time to time and say that the attendance/on-ice woes are simply issues faced around college hockey today - and while partially true, this barely scratches the surface of the issues that have sunk UNH to this point...

The right coach (held accountable and with AD support) has UNH bringing in high-end talent and in the mix for HE titles and NCAA Tournaments year-in and year-out - whether they actually win or make it every year. Period.
              Last edited by Dan; 02-19-2018, 10:09 AM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

So, how does UNH roll out the Souza era?
                Remember last year where they were caught flat footed, after Umile just glowered at a reporter (thankfully, there was a non-New Hampshire insider) asking if he would come back for one last go? Nick Stoico at least hinted that Umile probably should retire given the sliding program.
                The silence was nearing awkward for a few moments.

University of New Hampshire men’s hockey Coach Dick Umile settled into the hot seat in front of about 10 reporters following Sunday’s 8-2 loss to UMass-Lowell, sending the Wildcats into yet another offseason empty-handed.

At first, no one spoke. No one asked a question. Umile, the longest tenured active coach for a Hockey East program with 27 years behind the UNH bench, looked around and began his statement.
                There was only one question that truly mattered: Is this Dick Umile’s final post-game presser, or will he return next season?

WEEI’s Scott McLaughlin asked the question. Umile’s response: “No comment on that.”

A contract extension from 2015 keeps Umile, 68, behind the UNH bench through next season. It is believed he will retire either this offseason or next year when the contract expires.

Mike Souza, a 2000 graduate of UNH and Umile’s hockey program, was hired as associate head coach shortly after Umile’s contract was extended. A transition began to take motion as Umile directly identified Souza as the heir apparent.

Souza “will have an opportunity to succeed me and take over the program,” Umile told the Foster’s Daily Democrat in August 2015. “That will be the transition going forward. ... I’m excited about it. I’ll finish my career coaching at UNH.”

In the time since, the Wildcats have endured two of their worst seasons in terms of record in recent memory.

This decade has not been kind to UNH. After qualifying for 10 straight NCAA tournaments from 2002 through 2011, the Wildcats have missed five of the last six. They made it interesting this season with a first-round upset of Merrimack in the Hockey East tournament, but the gap widened to four years since their last NCAA berth in 2013.

Umile has led UNH to four Frozen Four appearances and two national championship games in 1999 and 2003, but neither ended with the team bringing hardware back to Durham. The Wildcats have not been a Frozen Four team since that 2003 season, which closed in 5-1 loss to Minnesota for the title.

We’ll talk to Umile once more on Thursday in his final media session to close the season. The question will be asked again, and perhaps Umile will have an answer.
                http://www.concordmonitor.com/Univer...hockey-8664655

The next day, UNH sent out a sterile press release, replete with Baghdad Marty's quotes about how well positioned the program was for 2017-18 and the future

http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2017...re-season.aspx

I hope this year they have the roll-out ready, with Souza already preparing his message to the public about 1) how unacceptable the past years have been, 2) that changes will be made to finally imprint himself on the program, including setting specific goals for players because they are capable of so much more, and 3) that he can't yet announce the coaching staff, because some candidates are under contract with other teams, but that he recognizes the needs of the program, both on the ice and in recruiting, that they need a mix of PROVEN experience to assure recruits that they will get good on ice coaching, but also that they need to be aggressive in selling the program to recruits.

Dick Umile should not be at the announcement. He's had his goodbye.

This is a chance to stop looking backward, and start looking foward. No more family, history, or how good the school was for you. This is about results on the ice, and even though we expect them to avail themselves of academic opportuntiies and being good character kids, that is implied. Its the need for on-ice skills that this press conference is about.

Souza must not mention Dick Umile at all in the message, other than a brief thank him for the opportunity and all he's done, but from here on, he is not looking backward. Nobody wants to talk about the past, which is irrelevant to recruits, other than to acknowledge that changes are needed, and that there are lots of opportunities for aggressive recruiting. The message must all be about the future, and CHANGES from the past, not an attempt to fawn over it. The message -- whether true or not -- is that Mike couldn't implement all he wanted, but that he now has full control, and that all aspects of the program will be analyzed over the summer, from recruiting, coaching and fan interaction. It's also not wrong to recognize that there were missteps, from which you have learned, just as there have been missteps from the players from which he expects growth. There is now urgency, because he is accountable. That includes getting the best assistant coaches, regardless of whether they are UNH alums, and UNH is willing to pay competitive salary to get the best assistants. There are a few building blocks who provide a good base, but lots of moving parts and opportunities for Souza to bring in his guys.
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-19-2018, 10:45 AM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

I’ll start off this post by reminding Dan that BU did little in the way of a national search when they hired Quinn. The two BU people I stay in touch with both told me that Quinn was the focus even before Parker was eased out the door. If there was any uncertainty, it was because Quinn was pretty successful in the pro ranks and there was a school of thought that he would just follow in the footsteps of Mike Sullivan. But I digress. My main point is to comment on Rossi’s post. Except for perhaps his Huskies and PC, the teams in Hockey East are not very good this year. BC and BU, the two teams on the NCAA bubble are basically at .500 with not very good OOC records (BC has not won a single non-league game). The bottom half of the league is basically interchangeable mediocrity. I believe this is the case, not because there are more teams (it’s been between 55 and 60 for at least 15 years), but because rhe quality players have more options (MJ) and, even if they choose the college route, they leave early (BU seems to have gone the way of Duke/Kentucky). The recruiting landscape is tougher these days and UNH has just not been tough enough to navigate it. After the debacle of the mid-80s, UNH rebounded mostly because the old methods used in recruiting were discarded. Success followed. We’re at the same point now. The old way of doing things has been an unmitigated failure. A new approach has to be taken and the first thing Souza has to do is find the right guy to implement it. Watcher was musing about Souza’s first presser. Let’s just hope that it doesn’t include the announcement of his new assistant.

Comment

BU fans never anoint themselves. Fans didn’t select them as preseason #2, or whatever they were ranked preseason in Hockey East. In fact, fans have questioned it. So knock it off.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      So, how does UNH roll out the Souza era?
                      Remember last year where they were caught flat footed, after Umile just glowered at a reporter (thankfully, there was a non-New Hampshire insider) asking if he would come back for one last go? Nick Stoico at least hinted that Umile probably should retire given the sliding program.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Univer...hockey-8664655

The next day, UNH sent out a sterile press release, replete with Baghdad Marty's quotes about how well positioned the program was for 2017-18 and the future

http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2017...re-season.aspx

I hope this year they have the roll-out ready, with Souza already preparing his message to the public about 1) how unacceptable the past years have been, 2) that changes will be made to finally imprint himself on the program, including setting specific goals for players because they are capable of so much more, and 3) that he can't yet announce the coaching staff, because some candidates are under contract with other teams, but that he recognizes the needs of the program, both on the ice and in recruiting, that they need a mix of PROVEN experience to assure recruits that they will get good on ice coaching, but also that they need to be aggressive in selling the program to recruits.

Dick Umile should not be at the announcement. He's had his goodbye.

This is a chance to stop looking backward, and start looking foward. No more family, history, or how good the school was for you. This is about results on the ice, and even though we expect them to avail themselves of academic opportuntiies and being good character kids, that is implied. Its the need for on-ice skills that this press conference is about.

Souza must not mention Dick Umile at all in the message, other than a brief thank him for the opportunity and all he's done, but from here on, he is not looking backward. Nobody wants to talk about the past, which is irrelevant to recruits, other than to acknowledge that changes are needed, and that there are lots of opportunities for aggressive recruiting. The message must all be about the future, and CHANGES from the past, not an attempt to fawn over it. The message -- whether true or not -- is that Mike couldn't implement all he wanted, but that he now has full control, and that all aspects of the program will be analyzed over the summer, from recruiting, coaching and fan interaction. It's also not wrong to recognize that there were missteps, from which you have learned, just as there have been missteps from the players from which he expects growth. There is now urgency, because he is accountable. That includes getting the best assistant coaches, regardless of whether they are UNH alums, and UNH is willing to pay competitive salary to get the best assistants. There are a few building blocks who provide a good base, but lots of moving parts and opportunities for Souza to bring in his guys.
                      Excellent summary, watcher. For your fourth to last sentence, I just want to hear an admission that the idiotic 5-3 PP was a misstep and will never happen again. I found that to be the most embarrassing and humiliating experience as a fan on the two occasions that I watched it. I wanted to walk out on those two games immediately, but just sat in my seat fuming. Third worst fan experience for me was watching the implosion against RIT in the Albany 2010 regional final, especially after knocking off a much better Cornell team the night before; two intermissions, and no in-game adjustments. I agree that recruiting has been bad the past few years, but deferring recruits, sitting them in the stands for the first year, and in-game coaching has been worse, I think. I do not get to see what happens in practice, except for a couple of times on the off day at the FF a long time ago, so I cannot comment on that.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                        JB please find another team as you have been a Umile hater forever. It was a very disappointing year but I am a fan first and a naysayer on places other than message boards. Please send your apologies to the players and I am sure Coach Souza and Coach Stewart are much smarter about hockey and player talent than you.

Please let me know where your season ticket seats are as I want to be sure the haters on the board are at least at the games and supporting the players.
                        WOW wander away from the message board for a couple days and look what happens.

First let me clarify I don't hate Dick Umile, I don't really know him. I have had the privilege to meet him multiple times and he is a very nice guy. Prior to about 5 years ago, I was the voice of reason, more than once replying to fans calling for his head after a playoff blow out to "be careful what you wish for" the next guy could be much worse. Some place in the last 5 years it became obvious to me that our once great coach had either lost it, or wasn't into it any longer and the next guy (assuming a coaching search) couldn't be worse. It hasn't been a disappointing year it has been a disappointing series of years and to stick your head in the sand about that pattern isn't being a good fan.

I am a fan of UNH hockey, not necessarily any particular coach. I really don’t care who is coaching the team as long as there is progress. That progress could be as little is watching young players grow. Any action that looks to be bring the program forward is progress.

As to my fandom I probably have just about everybody on here beat for the percentage of my life I have been a fan and attending UNH hockey games. Some of my first memories in life are UNH games at the end of the 78 season and during 78-79 season. I am a graduate both BS and MS. I was there for the great and bad of Holt in the 80's. For Umile's first season as acting coach. For the end of Snively, for the year in Manchester, for the opening of the Whitt. I was one of the few that still believed in the 97-98 team that collapsed down the stretch and was rewarded in Albany with Mowers OT shorthanded goal. I have been to frozen fours and plenty of road games. I am a coach’s club member of the friends. I still volunteer my time to the university in a number of ways, I found a way for my company to sponsor two graduate students. My user name is not to hide, those are my initials, I was on when this message board was still new so I could still get something short and be lazy logging in. If you want to find me I am pretty sure we (my father and I) are the only 2 season ticket holders left in our row 101-N-15... Charlie Holt used to sit about 5 rows back over my right shoulder.

If you are from the athletics department you are attacking the wrong problem. Any one on here still is passionate about UNH Hockey and would love to make it better, do **** near anything to make it better. USCHO used to be filled with posting UNH fans, lots and lots of them, just as the arena used to be filled. They have all gone away - just quietly disappearing. Many left when the athletic department thought there was an endless supply of fans so they could mistreat the ones they had. When needed that waiting list turned out to be a paper tiger. They got fed up with lack of action as the problems are obvious, just open your eyes.

Nothing I have seen stated on this message board is inside information. It is all observation. If I can see it then trained hockey eyes can see it. My posts aren’t scaring away recruits, they can see it too.
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

I understand the concept behind the play down low, to maximize the space and opportunities for their best powerplay weapons, Gildon and Maass (one timers). It worked early, but once the teams realized they didn't need to sag down low because the forwards lacked finish, the passing lanes back out remained clogged.
                          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-19-2018, 12:42 PM.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Excellent summary, watcher. For your fourth to last sentence, I just want to hear an admission that the idiotic 5-3 PP was a misstep and will never happen again. I found that to be the most embarrassing and humiliating experience as a fan on the two occasions that I watched it. I wanted to walk out on those two games immediately, but just sat in my seat fuming. Third worst fan experience for me was watching the implosion against RIT in the Albany 2010 regional final, especially after knocking off a much better Cornell team the night before; two intermissions, and no in-game adjustments. I agree that recruiting has been bad the past few years, but deferring recruits, sitting them in the stands for the first year, and in-game coaching has been worse, I think. I do not get to see what happens in practice, except for a couple of times on the off day at the FF a long time ago, so I cannot comment on that.
                            That has been the only 5-3 I have seen all year. I am amazed that is the go to move.

You must have missed the recent 4-3. One player below the goal line and outside the face-off dot. So basically the plan was to make it a 3 on 3? Since the other team didn't bother covering that guy.

It did make passing the puck around the outside, where there was little danger to the defense, much easier.
                            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              I understand the concept behind the play down low, to maximize the space and opportunities for their best powerplay weapons, Gildon and Maass. It worked early, but once the teams realized they didn't need to sag down low because the forwards lacked finish, the passing lanes back out remained clogged.
                              Maybe if I had seen the down 5-3 PP work early, I would not have been so irate. So, file that one as another lack of in-game adjustments when other coaches obviously had figured out a strategy to defend against it.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                I understand the concept behind the play down low, to maximize the space and opportunities for their best powerplay weapons, Gildon and Maass (one timers). It worked early, but once the teams realized they didn't need to sag down low because the forwards lacked finish, the passing lanes back out remained clogged.
                                It might even work if the offside guy moved to the post with the right timing for a backdoor or rebound. I think the problem is there isn't really a clear plan, neither guy behind the net knows when to pop out front or if his partner is about to pass it back.

Comment

Working...
                                X