X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Fantastic stuff, guys - much appreciated. I'm sure Coach appreciates the contributions to his "Grand Finale" thread.

Now, can we get some links to Walshy's "retroactive financial aid" stunt, and really send this one off in style?
    Not as good as "retroactive financial aid" but a gem for Chuck nonetheless:

"Abbott volunteered that he had not pressed either skater hard to divulge all forms of compensation they had received as juniors. He did not instruct either to lie or withhold facts, but, as is the common practice in this most confusing area of foreign athlete eligibility, Abbott said he didn't feel that he was required to press for information he really didn't want to find."

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/12/30/a...r-dispute.html
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      I love this ancient history stuff, but was in Orono during 1972-73 and 1973-74, pre Black Bears, so missed the Buckton-Marzo and DeCloe intrigue; what were these affairs?

Also, injunction vs injection, right?
      NCAA Watcher's post does a good job of covering Buckton and Marzo. DeCloe's situation was similar, but as I said, he didn't go to court.
      Thanks, I made the correction.

Fantastic stuff, guys - much appreciated. I'm sure Coach appreciates the contributions to his "Grand Finale" thread.
      Which is why I tried to keep it short and to the point. However, the fallout did affect New Hampshire. In the end 49 eastern players were found to be in similar situations and were allowed to play, but three, including 2 UNH players, Dave Lumley and Jim Harvie, were suspended for 5 games for accepting "bonuses" from their Junior days in Canada.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Last season, Lussier played in all 98 Wildcat games, scoring nine goals and five assists.
        Wow...I guess they played more games back then, huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Now, can we get some links to Walshy's "retroactive financial aid" stunt, and really send this one off in style?
          Just trying to help finish the thread that you started, Chuck. :-)

Good stuff! I am ready to read once again about Walshy's shenanigans, which also might be of interest to newbies here, and could generate some input from the Mainiacs to keep this thread moving along.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
            And have you read Wiseguys?
            Have you? Just downloaded it this morning and can't put it down...even the first page is amazing as it points out the contrast between the days some of us still lament and today...

"College hockey in the 1970s was a different animal than today's game. First thing you would notice is that you could actually see the players' faces....Skates still had steel posts attached to their boots...Sticks were made of real lumber; aluminum and then composite sticks were still a decade away. The ancient technology created a slower, more personal game. Fans could relate to the players more."

"In the 1970s, most American Division I talent came from high school, not Midwest junior leagues or national team programs; they were guys from the neighborhood. The players at BU, by and large, did not treat college hockey as a stepping-stone to the pros.

Good stuff! And it's only Page 2

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              Have you? Just downloaded it this morning and can't put it down...even the first page is amazing as it points out the contrast between the days some of us still lament and today...

"College hockey in the 1970s was a different animal than today's game. First thing you would notice is that you could actually see the players' faces....Skates still had steel posts attached to their boots...Sticks were made of real lumber; aluminum and then composite sticks were still a decade away. The ancient technology created a slower, more personal game. Fans could relate to the players more."

"In the 1970s, most American Division I talent came from high school, not Midwest junior leagues or national team programs; they were guys from the neighborhood. The players at BU, by and large, did not treat college hockey as a stepping-stone to the pros.

Good stuff! And it's only Page 2
              Hadn't read it yet, was hoping to get an idea if it was worth reading. Wanted to, but my experience has been that most college hockey books could be written by someone with the pen name Jacque Sniffer. (Nowadays those guys just have blogs.) But Wiseguys looked so interesting. I like the broader context, and the narrative seemed much more creative tying that dominant team into the Olympic experience. Until now I felt the next good college hockey book I read will be the first. Sounds like that's about to change. Thanks!

Comment

Hadn't read it yet, was hoping to get an idea if it was worth reading. Wanted to, but my experience has been that most college hockey books could be written by someone with the pen name Jacque Sniffer. (Nowadays those guys just have blogs.) But Wiseguys looked so interesting. I like the broader context, and the narrative seemed much more creative tying that dominant team into the Olympic experience. Until now I felt the next good college hockey book I read will be the first. Sounds like that's about to change. Thanks!
                Obviously I'm biased. I basically remember EVERYTHING he talks about (even the "pre-season" game that they played at Salem State...which I went to). So "most" people won't experience that level of "connection." But in general, if the story is compelling enough, it will usurp the "ability" of the author (which is a kind way of saying that the author's "limitations" won't hinder the reader's enjoyment of it).

Everyone will have to make up their own mind, but I can tell you those years were amazing to experience in person. Those were the days before ESPN and a million other networks. We would have to "hope" that a local station (like channel 38 or 56) would "pick up" the syndication of a game from out of town. A big regret was never actually SEEING that infamous NCAA semi-final vs Minnesota (the one that got stopped by the bench-clearing brawl). I remember listening to the game in our dorm room on the radio. Boy, have times changed!

And I'm only through three chapters; haven't even gotten to the stuff about the Blizzard of '78 (I was at the Garden that night, too). So it certainly would have more meaning for me, but I have to think that other fans would enjoy it also (UNH is mentioned a few times as well) - especially those who followed college hockey (and especially in the East) at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  Obviously I'm biased. I basically remember EVERYTHING he talks about (even the "pre-season" game that they played at Salem State...which I went to). So "most" people won't experience that level of "connection." But in general, if the story is compelling enough, it will usurp the "ability" of the author (which is a kind way of saying that the author's "limitations" won't hinder the reader's enjoyment of it).

Everyone will have to make up their own mind, but I can tell you those years were amazing to experience in person. Those were the days before ESPN and a million other networks. We would have to "hope" that a local station (like channel 38 or 56) would "pick up" the syndication of a game from out of town. A big regret was never actually SEEING that infamous NCAA semi-final vs Minnesota (the one that got stopped by the bench-clearing brawl). I remember listening to the game in our dorm room on the radio. Boy, have times changed!

And I'm only through three chapters; haven't even gotten to the stuff about the Blizzard of '78 (I was at the Garden that night, too). So it certainly would have more meaning for me, but I have to think that other fans would enjoy it also (UNH is mentioned a few times as well) - especially those who followed college hockey (and especially in the East) at that time.
                  Yeah, I can remember when it was such a big deal that Channel 7 was carrying a Game of the Week on Saturday afternoons. I loved actually seeing venues I had only heard about on the radio. Can remember watching when Yale ended the BU undefeated streak.

As far as the Beanpot goes I obviously wasn't there. But can recall listening to it on the radio while the snow piled up outside. As you know back in the days of the unbalanced schedule ALL the Beanpot games counted. Pretty sure when Harvard beat NU they inched ahead of UNH in the standings when standings actually meant something with regard to postseason play.

As Chuck said, Great Stuff!

Comment

Yeah, I can remember when it was such a big deal that Channel 7 was carrying a Game of the Week on Saturday afternoons.
                    Funny you bring that up. That was the infamous Bob Gamere (former host of "Candlepins for Cash" and later indicted for other nefarious "activities"). I'll never forget his famous line when describing a Harvard game: "Harvard.....3-15 overall BUT 3-0 in the Ivy League!"

Then you had John Carlson, who would give the complete biography of every player whenever he touched the puck, which resulted in his being five seconds behind every play: "Here's Mike Eruzione...you know....Mike is a local kid who grew up in Win......SCORE!!!!!!!!"

Great memories!

Yeah, I can remember when it was such a big deal that Channel 7 was carrying a Game of the Week on Saturday afternoons. Can remember watching when Yale ended the BU undefeated streak
                    My wife went to high school in Cheshire, CT (for one year - her Dad moved around a lot). She sat behind some girl who blurted out in class one day, "We're going to blow up the Yale Whale tomorrow." And then apparently a bomb went off there..I don't remember what they were protesting at the time, maybe Vietnam - who knows?
                    Last edited by chickod; 03-30-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Terrific stuff on the CHDA (College Hockey Dark Ages), which seems more like the Age of Enlightenment in retrospect, given recent trends and sterilization of the D-1 hockey world. But as those of you who've been on here a long time, you'll know there something that's right up there with UNH Hockey among my cherished sports-related pursuits and passions. And even if it's going on 14 years since they left Montreal, I still pay attention, I suppose, because it's one of those things I'm still hoping to see again. Even if these things go under the radar, but here it is.

"The Grand Finale" has also sadly arrived for Le Grand Orange, #10 right fielder Rusty Staub of Les Expos ...

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/ba...-at-73-reports

There's some terrific video footage embedded in Cowan's tribute article of Staub and the early days of MLB in Montreal. Coming on the heels of another successful cameo for the looming rebirth of MLB in Montreal, and hours before the start of a new baseball season, this made for a poignant last 48 hours at the WIS Estate, where both the US and Canadian flags are flying at half-mast this week. RIP Rusty.

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

We need chris!!! back
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Terrific stuff on the CHDA (College Hockey Dark Ages), which seems more like the Age of Enlightenment in retrospect, given recent trends and sterilization of the D-1 hockey world. But as those of you who've been on here a long time, you'll know there something that's right up there with UNH Hockey among my cherished sports-related pursuits and passions. And even if it's going on 14 years since they left Montreal, I still pay attention, I suppose, because it's one of those things I'm still hoping to see again. Even if these things go under the radar, but here it is.

"The Grand Finale" has also sadly arrived for Le Grand Orange, #10 right fielder Rusty Staub of Les Expos ...

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/ba...-at-73-reports

There's some terrific video footage embedded in Cowan's tribute article of Staub and the early days of MLB in Montreal. Coming on the heels of another successful cameo for the looming rebirth of MLB in Montreal, and hours before the start of a new baseball season, this made for a poignant last 48 hours at the WIS Estate, where both the US and Canadian flags are flying at half-mast this week. RIP Rusty.

I heard that driving to work yesterday on Sirius/XM ... "Flash" Phelps who does "60s on 6" was telling anecdotes...he sounded like one of the real good guys...

Comment

Speaking of FBI, could be Full Blooded Italian, Full Blooded Iranian, Full Blooded Icelander, Full Blooded Illinoian, Full Blooded Iroquois. My wife is FBI, Full Blooded Irish
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                              Speaking of FBI, could be Full Blooded Italian, Full Blooded Iranian, Full Blooded Icelander, Full Blooded Illinoian, Full Blooded Iroquois. My wife is FBI, Full Blooded Irish
                              You left out Full Blooded Inuit, and there is/was one in the NHL.

EDIT: Jordin Tootoo, from Churchill, has played in over 700 games and racked up over 1000 penalty minutes, mostly with Predators, and most recently with Black Hawks.
                              Last edited by Snively65; 03-30-2018, 06:32 PM.

Comment

There is an excerpt by the author Tim Rappleye dated 6 December 2017 on CHN that describes Dave Silk taking his stick to a frat guy hanging over the glass at Thompson Arena who spit on him. Apparently this game occurred around the same time that a crew was on campus filming for the movie 'Animal House.'

Comment

Working...
                                X