This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Finishing last in Hockey East in a down year for the league sums it up. The worst part is I dont think UNH has hit rock bottom yet. How does UNH climb out of the basement? A coaching change - is Souza really any different than Umile in terms of style/systems? Doubtful as Souza has been tutored by Umile. The other option is bringing in more talent and thats the recruiting pipeline which is severely lacking already. Good luck trying to convince a blue chip player/advisor that the last place Hockey East team with an unproven coach is a great landing spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
      Finishing last in Hockey East in a down year for the league sums it up. The worst part is I dont think UNH has hit rock bottom yet. How does UNH climb out of the basement? A coaching change - is Souza really any different than Umile in terms of style/systems? Doubtful as Souza has been tutored by Umile. The other option is bringing in more talent and thats the recruiting pipeline which is severely lacking already. Good luck trying to convince a blue chip player/advisor that the last place Hockey East team with an unproven coach is a great landing spot.
      I remain cautiously optimistic. Other programs have rebounded from years of mediocrity and outright futility. You can look it up just by scanning the Pairwise. Like I said before, it takes a change in mindset and commitment. To me it will hinge on who Souza hires as his assistant. If it’s a safe choice, a guy he perhaps played with at UNH, it is not going to work. The ideal manager hires people who complement his strengths rather just complimenting his strengths. Just have to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
        Truth be told, I wanted to leave after the second NU goal. So soft. It was clear the game was just going to be MOTS. However I stuck it out because I felt I owed it to Dick. I know that sounds corny, but that is honestly how I felt. So like JAB, I was paying more attention to Umile at the end. I did think it was strange he didn't do more. Just a very sad ending. But I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. No matter what he did it would have been wrong. People would have complained he took a victory lap after winning only one game in three months. Others would have said he was taking attention away from the team, you had your celebration two weeks earlier. You had a few neanderthals throwing Umile shirts on the ice. A no win situation (no pun intended) Perhaps that is how it should have ended.

BTW, I agree with Chuck ("You're absolutely right, Chuck!") Coach Madigan called off the dogs on Saturday night. As much as I wanted to see the 'Cats score, I knew if they did knock a goal or two in that NU would have just stepped on the accelerator and answered them. Umile seemed very gracious to Madigan after the game and I presume/hope Dick was thanking him for not running it up in his last contest at home. As many of you know I haven't been a big fan of the Northeastern coach, but he earned some points in my book. Not that Coach Madigan cares what I think.
        Felger or others paying attention after the game. One thing that I did notice was that after leaving center ice DU was pointing or jestering in the direction of Gravallese. It wasn't his angry pointing that we have seen after a horribly called game. could not tell if he was saluting or did have a bit of an issue, it was a wag rather than is punctuating point. Anyone else see it?
        NU also was playing some kids that don't always start.
        My call, he wanted this to be the seniors night, he had his with more than the 4000 someone noted. Decent crowd perhaps close to the number reported - 5500. The GA end was as full as it has been all year.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
          Felger or others paying attention after the game. One thing that I did notice was that after leaving center ice DU was pointing or jestering in the direction of Gravallese. It wasn't his angry pointing that we have seen after a horribly called game. could not tell if he was saluting or did have a bit of an issue, it was a wag rather than is punctuating point. Anyone else see it?
          My call, he wanted this to be the seniors night, he had his with more than the 4000 someone noted. Decent crowd perhaps close to the number reported - 5500. The GA end was as full as it has been all year.
          Benedetto and Gravellese for Coach's final home game. Perfect.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
            You're right, I forgot to mention Umile's friendly wave (his only one) to Grav and Grav's return wave. And yes, Darius, how fitting HE assigned Grav and Benedetto - his old friends (and antagonists): remember DU bending over slamming the boards at some call they missed? "Those were the days my friends.... "

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              Okay Dan. Let me get this straight. If the variable X=Chippah(preferably BLUE) then Souza and UNH will jump start the rebuild immediately. Do I have that right? If so I'm down with that!
              Yes it's possible - though you can include me in the less than optimistic camp. The two players Watcher and I have discussed Filip Suchy (38 GP: 27-24--51 / Horni Lukavice, CZE) and Marek Valach (42 GP: 18-15--33 / Ilava, SVK) remain available, among others who could make immediate top-six impacts - and yes, 1932, I watched both play Des Moines earlier this month (Suchy for the second time). There are also a number of talented kids who could be brought in a year early and make an impact down the road...

I'm not sure what either strategy - especially the latter really does for next year's team, but both would signal that UNH is heading in the right direction and that Souza has a vision and capability. That would be jumpstarting the rebuild in my eyes and I'd be the first to jump on the bandwagon...

If they get nothing this summer - I guess I'll have to continue to be the negative a-hole with the nerve to discuss the reality of the situation UNH is in. Much to 32's chagrin...
              Last edited by Dan; 02-26-2018, 10:47 AM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                Benedetto and Gravellese for Coach's final home game. Perfect.
                Ugh don't get me started...🙄
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  Crookshank has better skills than Blackburn -- gets around the ice, which is Liam's biggest problem. Blackburn will be productive, but needs guys whose skills he can play off. Production wise Angus will match Downing, but Downing was more two way than Crookshank, who is more of a darter, sneaky player.

Esposito will not match MacAdams. MacAdams has some decent puck skills and grit, while not consistent or top end, but could get to the second line as a nice complementary player. Esposito just is a *****stirrer, who will have goals off is skates, etc. while drawing and taking penalties. Fourth line, Third line tops.

Cipollone will not be Correale level. I'd say Chris Miller/Borisenok sort.

Green - I don't get him. Seems the typical "size" project, where scouts talk about his upside, separate from his puck skills. He was supposed to have offensive skills, but the only one I saw was a shot, and his skating was sub par, and I didn't see any real puck handling or distribution. Then I heard decent reports on his defense during last year's playoffs. The offensive has not deveoped at all, and I'm skeptical that his skating can allow him to be a top defender (Chanter?), so it's a low projection.

Verrier is actually a kid who had low projections, but put together his skating and offensive skills in prep, and now at GB. He'll never be a top pair kid, but his offense seems to be enough to get him onto the second pair.

---

I think the current group has given all it can. I assume that pitch has been out there for a while. Hopefully the Slovaks/Czechs are interested, and their TOEFL and transcripts are the holdup why we haven't heard anything. Seems odd to have that much money likely available and unused this late, unless there's that sort of thing with the kids they're after.
                  Fair enough Watcher - love the added opinion. Like I said, my comps were more based on production than anything else and the second names on my comp list were more ceiling potential than expectations.

Crookshank is a different type of player than Downing, but I think he ends up around the same levels of production. Downing had a rough junior year, otherwise he ends up around 125-130 career points (he finished with 112, i believe). I think that is where Crookshank ends up - based on the teams he'll likely play for (as currently put together) and the linemates he'll likely play with. Add a couple of real skill players to the team and his units and those numbers could be much more. But he can only do so much on his own...

I agree with your assessment of Esposito, I guess Im not as bullish on MacAdams.

I think my Cipollone/Kyle Smith comparison is a fit - high scoring EJ kids who come to UNH with offensive style games, but lacking the ability to translate that offense. If he ends up having a more well-rounded game like Borisenok (and can forecheck and defend at a solid level on a lower line) that would be a win for UNH. I do think he has enough offense (and he scored a bit in the BCHL - I wish he had gone back there instead of coming home for JRs) to produce at a limited level with the right linemates (a la Correale alongside AP and TK - DC had 11 goals in three seasons before playing with those two. I don't think thats too high a bar - although he was a hard skating guy to play against). But, if Cipollone is playing that role, UNH is probably in trouble...

I don't buy Green and his offensive game - aside from getting shots through from the point. He was a projectable offensive kid in the EHL, it hasn't translated to the USHL at all. I remember the video of him when he committed - going end to end - and your comment that he was never challenged and just outskated inferior opponents. If he ends up as a quietly, stable third pair or #4 defensemen like Nick Krates I'd take it. I don't think he can be Charlebois and I don't see much offense showing at the NCAA level. If he can surpass Chanter and be more consistent and safer, than UNH wins...

I'm not as bullish on Verrier either. I think he's a third pair guy on a good UNH team. If he can be dependable and break pucks out without being a liability defensively (Marks lite), I'll be happy. I'd rather have Miller to be honest. If Verrier is playing on the second pair than UNH's defense just isnt going to be as deep as it can be...

None of these guys aside from Crookshank are the game changers UNH needs to really rebound. I truly hope you are right and Souza is looking aggressively at filling holes this summer. I'd do cartwheels if they land the two Euro forwards - or equivalents - out of the USHL. I'd be equally as thrilled if they took flyers on some of the young forwards and defenseman out of the BCHL and put them right into top-six/top-four roles as true (or early) freshmen and looked ahead to the future. If they stand pat or fill in with 20 year old EHL/NCDC type kids I'll be up in arms...
                  Last edited by Dan; 02-26-2018, 11:35 AM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    I will note UNH1932 did not come visit me. I was a little disappointed...
                    Very surprising!! Looks like he laid off the moonshine this weekend though so... no drunk posting which is good.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Looks like he laid off the moonshine this weekend though so... no drunk posting which is good.
                      But drunk posting can be very entertaining for the rest of us.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

The hockey season is not over yet for UNH! There is more hockey this weekend. Winning the series against Maine is very possible. Maine is not Northeastern!!!

These are the key things in my opinion that UNH will have to do to beat Maine:
                        1. Special Teams: The power play will have to score more goals than the penalty kill gives up this weekend.
                        2. Tirone has to play well. He has performed well against Maine for the last couple of years. Like his play against Northeastern a few weeks ago in the 1-1 tie, not his play from this past weekend.
                        3. The players will have to win the net front battles in both the offensive zone and defensive zone. A lot of the UNH offense this season has come from the forwards screening the opposing teams’ goalie, getting their sticks free for deflections and jumping on the rebounds. Defensively, the players have to do a better job of covering Maine’s players in front of our net. We can’t be giving up goals because of the lack of awareness and puck watching.
                        4. The players must play as a team, not as a bunch of individuals. They must buy into the roles their coaches give them.

Comment

When I started this feature, I suppose the point was to focus on how this "unique" transition plan was really all about one guy getting his way, at the expense of his program's health, and the program's fans' desire for a fresh start to get this thing turned around in a positive way. I mean, 40 wins over three seasons, with cupcakes galore dotting the schedules of the first two seasons, it really never seemed like getting to the NRN should ever have been a concern, and it should have been a formality at some point this season. Even as late as this past Thanksgiving, it seemed almost impossible to imagine that the (now-former) Quest would end in any other way than Coach getting to celebrate one final time with a modest accomplishment (and I say that not to demean 600 wins, which is terrific, but doesn't equate to a D-1 title, or even one final Hockey East title).

But the unthinkable has happened. The outlook for a somewhat happy ending for our hero has never looked bleaker than right now, as this epic Shakespearian tragedy in the making staggers down the stretch with a broken leg, and the track physician looking up the number of the closest glue factory, as WIS presents our latest prognostications in this probable final "When I Said I'm in Favor of Euthanasia, I Didn't Mean Kohei Sato" edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The Desperate Scramble Impossible Dream for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 596
                          Wins Remaining to NRN (Next Round Number): 4
                          Games Remaining: 2-3 this weekend; 4-6 if UNH advances
                          WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 2%
                          2017/2018 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 6/18 (33.3%)

With yet another winless weekend behind them ( ... this is a recording), and UNH finishing what only two (2) months ago seemed to be a promising season in the Hockey East cellar with a lock on the #11 seed, it's going to take a Cinderella story on steroids for Coach Umile to even get a scent of the all-too-elusive NRN at this point. The trip to Orono for the vaunted MBPBEGAM round of the HE Tourney seems to be not-so-daunting - with UMaine looking very much the paper tiger with all of five (5) wins over their last 15 games, and with 3 of those coming against UMass Flagship, plus Merrimack and UNH - but the Mildcats look to have pretty much packed it in at this point. And while the "Orono Tie Festival" last month further supports the idea that UNH actually has a shot in this series, the fact that in retrospect those two ties have been the unquestioned "high point" of the 2018 UNH schedule tells its own tale. The Alfond crazies will be baying for blood, which means the 'Cats may need to be tasered out of their bus/hotel rooms and forced to compete. With the possible "path to victory" to the NRN now laying in ruins, thanks to the NU Huskies, the WIS panel sees only a 20% chance of success for UNH getting through this weekend (and I think that's extremely generous), and a 10% chance at best to get through the next (quarterfinals) weekend on the road. Upsets happen, yeah ... but this one would be a shocker, even with UMaine slumping as well. But the WIS panel takes the safe route ...

Predictions:

Friday: @ UMaine 3 UNH 2 (OT)
                          Saturday: @ UMaine 7 UNH 2

THE GRASSO REDSHIRT NUMBER (GRSN)

Well ... at long last we're here. The regular season having finished, we'll turn our attention to the MBPBEGAM round of the HE "playoffs", and the GRSN - not to be confused with the NRN. This topic was brought to the fore by Dan regarding the prospects of Patrick Grasso's potentially lost season, and the chances he'll be allowed a "medical redshirt". A minimum of six (6) post-season games will be necessary for Grasso's 2017/2018 season not to become a total loss. So the Grasso Red Shirt Number sits at a 40 game UNH slate. The WIS panel has further downgraded Grasso's chances of following in the career path of the great Tommy Nolan to be About As Likely As The Greater Bangor/Orono Metropolis Being Chosen To Host The 2030 Winter Olympics. We'll revisit this assessment if UNH miraculously advances past the Black Bears this coming weekend.

FOXHOLE CHALLENGE - US AGAINST THE WORLD (in honor of Felger's dopey penguin)

Us 1
                          The World 14

To seek the man whose pointing hand
                          The giant step unfolds
                          With guidance from the curving path
                          That churns up into stone

If one bell should ring
                          In celebration for a king
                          So fast the heart should beat
                          As proud the head with heavy feet
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
                            The hockey season is not over yet for UNH! There is more hockey this weekend. Winning the series against Maine is very possible. Maine is not Northeastern!!!

These are the key things in my opinion that UNH will have to do to beat Maine:
                            1. Special Teams: The power play will have to score more goals than the penalty kill gives up this weekend.
                            2. Tirone has to play well. He has performed well against Maine for the last couple of years. Like his play against Northeastern a few weeks ago in the 1-1 tie, not his play from this past weekend.
                            3. The players will have to win the net front battles in both the offensive zone and defensive zone. A lot of the UNH offense this season has come from the forwards screening the opposing teams’ goalie, getting their sticks free for deflections and jumping on the rebounds. Defensively, the players have to do a better job of covering Maine’s players in front of our net. We can’t be giving up goals because of the lack of awareness and puck watching.
                            4. The players must play as a team, not as a bunch of individuals. They must buy into the roles their coaches give them.
                            Great post Ray that's right the season isn't ovah (MaineSpeak) yet!!! Yeah I believe (in UNH) they can win if they do what you said...! Gonna be a tough place to play but I'd rather be there first round than anywhere else ('cept the Flagship maybe) Go 'Cats!
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Great post Ray that's right the season isn't ovah (MaineSpeak) yet!!! Yeah I believe (in UNH) they can win if they do what you said...! Gonna be a tough place to play but I'd rather be there first round than anywhere else ('cept the Flagship maybe) Go 'Cats!
                              Force strong in you i see. -Yoda aka BS hex 42

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                                Force strong in you i see. -Yoda aka BS hex 42
                                So I've been told....wish Orono wasn't so far so will have to watch from a galaxy far far away!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X