This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    If UNH/Souza is hungry for, and capable of, jumpstarting a rebuild immediately then next year's line-up will look something like this...

X - Blackburn - Grasso
    Crookshank - X - Kelleher
    BVR - Vela - Nazarian
    Esposito - MacAdams - Fregona
    Cippolone - Cefalu - Miller - Sato - Sacco

Gildon - Maass
    Wyse - X
    Green - Boyd
    Dawson - Verrier

Taylor - Robinson
    Lazzarro

And make no mistake for the woes is us, how can we compete for elite talent with the big boys lot - there are top forward possibilities (better than Crookshank) just sitting out there on the market. The same goes for D men with far more upside than either incoming frosh. So go get it...

Watcher is much more optimistic theyll move on those guys than I am - but he was right about moving on a goalie. Let's hope he's right again...

Do that and you're on the right track. Spend your money on more filler or hold pat and yes, the team could easily be worse or status quo next season - and more alarming would be what that said for the future of how they'd approach recruiting...
    Okay Dan. Let me get this straight. If the variable X=Chippah(preferably BLUE) then Souza and UNH will jump start the rebuild immediately. Do I have that right? If so I'm down with that!
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      here's how I'd break down the incoming freshmen (more in terms of career production than style, though both are considered when applicable)...

Crookshank - Blackburn/Downing
      Esposito - MacAdams
      Cippolone - K. Smith/ Correale
      Green - Chanter/Krates
      Verrier - Dawson/Marks-lite
      Taylor - Foster

Not exactly a game changing group...

The teams from the early Umile years got MUCH better immediate recruiting returns and still took years to get back to where they wanted to be. I'd be wary about putting too much stock in last seasons FR either - MacAdams is who he is. Charlie Kelleher can be better, certainly, but will never be Tyler. Gildon has one more year on campus and Maass is a candidate to leave with Wyse the following year - the current pipeline of D is not at their level...
      Crookshank has better skills than Blackburn -- gets around the ice, which is Liam's biggest problem. Blackburn will be productive, but needs guys whose skills he can play off. Production wise Angus will match Downing, but Downing was more two way than Crookshank, who is more of a darter, sneaky player.

Esposito will not match MacAdams. MacAdams has some decent puck skills and grit, while not consistent or top end, but could get to the second line as a nice complementary player. Esposito just is a *****stirrer, who will have goals off is skates, etc. while drawing and taking penalties. Fourth line, Third line tops.

Cipollone will not be Correale level. I'd say Chris Miller/Borisenok sort.

Green - I don't get him. Seems the typical "size" project, where scouts talk about his upside, separate from his puck skills. He was supposed to have offensive skills, but the only one I saw was a shot, and his skating was sub par, and I didn't see any real puck handling or distribution. Then I heard decent reports on his defense during last year's playoffs. The offensive has not deveoped at all, and I'm skeptical that his skating can allow him to be a top defender (Chanter?), so it's a low projection.

Verrier is actually a kid who had low projections, but put together his skating and offensive skills in prep, and now at GB. He'll never be a top pair kid, but his offense seems to be enough to get him onto the second pair.

Now is the time to hit the trail hard and aggressively and say again and again - you, elite prospect, take our full scholarship and be the guy immediately. That is the only way out of this mess...
      I think the current group has given all it can. I assume that pitch has been out there for a while. Hopefully the Slovaks/Czechs are interested, and their TOEFL and transcripts are the holdup why we haven't heard anything. Seems odd to have that much money likely available and unused this late, unless there's that sort of thing with the kids they're after.
      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-25-2018, 02:26 PM.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        You've always been one shy of a shot glass half empty Chuck You have no clue how UNH is going to do next year or the year after or the year after that. None of us do! There are too many variables involved. Yeah you're entitled to your opinion, in fact, I enjoy your posts. You're more like a contrary indicator though. Year over year comparisons will be easier to improve upon IMHO. I'd be very surprised if results don't improve moving forward. Then again, I have no better insight than you do!
        Okay Dan. Let me get this straight. If the variable X=Chippah(preferably BLUE) then Souza and UNH will jump start the rebuild immediately. Do I have that right? If so I'm down with that!
        So ... I guess it's safe to say you're a "glass half full" optimistic sort then, eh e.cat? "Don't bother me with that reality bullcrap, just tell me how the good stuff might play out, and I'm down with that!"

Just for the record, no one wants me to be wrong on this more than I do. Is it possible Souza could turn it around quickly, in ways that 'watcher, Dan and others have suggested? Sure, no doubt, possible. But ... probable? I look at the long-term downwards trajectory of the UNH Men's Hockey program - something I sounded the alarm on many years ago, when many on here were still fat and happy with annual trips to the D-1 tourney, albeit sliding gradually away from legitimate FF contenders - and perhaps more importantly, I look at the more precipitous drop the program has experienced over the last three years of "Souza in training". Combine that with the rather modest projections I see on here about the incoming class - which consists of Crookshank, Taylor and (arguably) a healthy Grasso - and I don't see the kind of dynamic talent either on hand or coming on board in enough quantity to turn this thing around. Yet.

Since I know we've had past similar discussions about UNH Football, and Coach McDonnell's transition period after the Coach Bowes era, let's draw parallels there. Coach Bowes was in charge for roughly the same amount of years as Coach Umile has been, and not unlike Umile's flight path, Bowes had a few down years at the start, and his last 3-4 years in charge were trending down as well (and it took McDonnell another 5 years to get it turned back around after that). When McDonnell (and key assistant Chip Kelly) adopted the spread offense we now see everywhere, it transformed the program back into consistent national contention. But it still took McDonnell/Kelly about 5 years to get upwards traction. Before that, it didn't look like they would bring the program back to its Bowes era level.

Unless Souza brings in someone (or something) dynamic (and soon) to make immediate positive impacts on the UNH Hockey program, it's hard for me to think we've even seen the program hitting bottom yet. The roster for next season is mostly cast in stone, although there are openings/money available, it will require Souza's staff to bring in multiple players at (or probably above) the levels of the Crookshanks and Maasses of the world to see an immediate impact. He hasn't done that yet ... and even when he has (Commesso), or when he hasn't been able to convince some of the Borek holdovers, and those have slipped through his fingers ... doesn't that make you ask questions on just how effective Souza or his current team are at selling his message effectively?

As I said at the outset ... I want to be wrong about this. I wanted to be wrong about the gradual slide into oblivion over the last decade (plus?) too, but that turned out with where we see the program today, which is bottom of the league, and not by accident. And if it turns out that I'm wrong - like I was after 5 years into McDonnell's regime - I will only be too happy to admit I'm wrong. Certainly the current AD has a history of giving his coaches a lot of rope, and the scary thing (to me anyway) is that UNH Hockey could find itself in its current state of decay for another decade. Not a comforting thought, to say the least.

The next few steps will tell us a lot. How does Souza fill out his coaching staff for next year? Does he and his team have some quality recruits stashed until the coaching change officially takes place? And who will lead the team on-ice next season, and in seasons to follow?

There has been a talent shortage in recent years, no doubt. Watching the full replay of last night's debacle (which could have been 10-0 had Madigan not called off the dogs after the bizarre/pitiful Robinson "effort" on the recalled offsides goal) hints at the huge gap between UNH's talent at the top of this league. It's that stark, and shocking too. But I would say there may have been an even bigger leadership vacuum, both on and off the ice. And I have no idea if Souza or his staff even recognize this issue exists yet.

All of this, combined at once, and I think things get worse before they get better. JMHO.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Former UNH teammates Kacey Bellamy (USA) and Jen Wakefield (CAN) face-off for gold tonight at 11:10 ET. Wakefield played two years at UNH before transferring to BU - if you needed another reason to root for the US.

Bobby Butler and the men are done due to poor roster construction...
          And, besides Kacey Bellamy being on the gold medal winning team, Blake Kessel's sister Amanda scored one of the three shoot-out goals?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            So ... I guess it's safe to say you're a "glass half full" optimistic sort then, eh e.cat? "Don't bother me with that reality bullcrap, just tell me how the good stuff might play out, and I'm down with that!"

Just for the record, no one wants me to be wrong on this more than I do. Is it possible Souza could turn it around quickly, in ways that 'watcher, Dan and others have suggested? Sure, no doubt, possible. But ... probable? I look at the long-term downwards trajectory of the UNH Men's Hockey program - something I sounded the alarm on many years ago, when many on here were still fat and happy with annual trips to the D-1 tourney, albeit sliding gradually away from legitimate FF contenders - and perhaps more importantly, I look at the more precipitous drop the program has experienced over the last three years of "Souza in training". Combine that with the rather modest projections I see on here about the incoming class - which consists of Crookshank, Taylor and (arguably) a healthy Grasso - and I don't see the kind of dynamic talent either on hand or coming on board in enough quantity to turn this thing around. Yet.

Since I know we've had past similar discussions about UNH Football, and Coach McDonnell's transition period after the Coach Bowes era, let's draw parallels there. Coach Bowes was in charge for roughly the same amount of years as Coach Umile has been, and not unlike Umile's flight path, Bowes had a few down years at the start, and his last 3-4 years in charge were trending down as well (and it took McDonnell another 5 years to get it turned back around after that). When McDonnell (and key assistant Chip Kelly) adopted the spread offense we now see everywhere, it transformed the program back into consistent national contention. But it still took McDonnell/Kelly about 5 years to get upwards traction. Before that, it didn't look like they would bring the program back to its Bowes era level.

Unless Souza brings in someone (or something) dynamic (and soon) to make immediate positive impacts on the UNH Hockey program, it's hard for me to think we've even seen the program hitting bottom yet. The roster for next season is mostly cast in stone, although there are openings/money available, it will require Souza's staff to bring in multiple players at (or probably above) the levels of the Crookshanks and Maasses of the world to see an immediate impact. He hasn't done that yet ... and even when he has (Commesso), or when he hasn't been able to convince some of the Borek holdovers, and those have slipped through his fingers ... doesn't that make you ask questions on just how effective Souza or his current team are at selling his message effectively?

As I said at the outset ... I want to be wrong about this. I wanted to be wrong about the gradual slide into oblivion over the last decade (plus?) too, but that turned out with where we see the program today, which is bottom of the league, and not by accident. And if it turns out that I'm wrong - like I was after 5 years into McDonnell's regime - I will only be too happy to admit I'm wrong. Certainly the current AD has a history of giving his coaches a lot of rope, and the scary thing (to me anyway) is that UNH Hockey could find itself in its current state of decay for another decade. Not a comforting thought, to say the least.

The next few steps will tell us a lot. How does Souza fill out his coaching staff for next year? Does he and his team have some quality recruits stashed until the coaching change officially takes place? And who will lead the team on-ice next season, and in seasons to follow?

There has been a talent shortage in recent years, no doubt. Watching the full replay of last night's debacle (which could have been 10-0 had Madigan not called off the dogs after the bizarre/pitiful Robinson "effort" on the recalled offsides goal) hints at the huge gap between UNH's talent at the top of this league. It's that stark, and shocking too. But I would say there may have been an even bigger leadership vacuum, both on and off the ice. And I have no idea if Souza or his staff even recognize this issue exists yet.

All of this, combined at once, and I think things get worse before they get better. JMHO.
            For the record, yes I am an optimist! So many issues not enough band width! So you predicted this decline? Of course you did. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Give me a break! You're killin' me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
              Technically you may have been wrong Greg. But I think there is a big difference between finishing last in a seven team league in the mid-80's and finishing 11th in a league that now includes Vermont, Massachusetts Merrimack and UConn. Go back and look at some of the players that were in HockeyEast back then. Then factor in the WCHA element. (I mean Brett Hull played in Snively for chrisakes.) Not to mention that this has to be the weakest HE has been in years. Even though that 1988 team finished last (and only won 7 games) it had two players on the all rookie. As you say, things were looking up.

However to steven22's larger point - UNH did finish last THREE years in a row. So moving forward Chuck may very well be correct in that things get worse before they get better.
              And, we finished the regular season below all but two AHA teams in the PWR, although we still have a chance to catch those two next weekend. This season's rush for the bottom of the PWR is not over!

Comment

For the record, yes I am an optimist! So many issues not enough band width! So you predicted this decline? Of course you did. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Give me a break! You're killin' me!
                Those who've been on here as long as you and me will recall my "Open Letter to Coach Umile" almost 8 years ago, which was a couple of years AFTER I'd initially opined about the developing downturn in the program.

Again, I wish I were proven wrong with that, I really do. I want to see winning hockey at UNH again, and the sooner the better. If you want to take shots at me when I'm wrong, I'm good with that (see McDonnell, Sean) and if I'm wrong, I'll apologize gladly. This is not exactly life and death stuff, and we ALL miss the mark at times. But if you want to stick your fingers in your ears and ignore it when I've (sadly) been on target, then I guess I misjudged you as a fair and balanced contributor on here. Your call. I'll live, either way.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Those who've been on here as long as you and me will recall my "Open Letter to Coach Umile" almost 8 years ago, which was a couple of years AFTER I'd initially opined about the developing downturn in the program.

Again, I wish I were proven wrong with that, I really do. I want to see winning hockey at UNH again, and the sooner the better. If you want to take shots at me when I'm wrong, I'm good with that (see McDonnell, Sean) and if I'm wrong, I'll apologize gladly. This is not exactly life and death stuff, and we ALL miss the mark at times. But if you want to stick your fingers in your ears and ignore it when I've (sadly) been on target, then I guess I misjudged you as a fair and balanced contributor on here. Your call. I'll live, either way.
                  Hindsight is 20/20 Chuck. If you say you predicted this decline 8 years ago, then good for you. I predict in the next 8 years UNH will place higher than last place. BFD! If that doesn't happen you can call me out. Your call!

Comment

I remember that letter, the first post that I read of yours, as I had joined the forum only a short while before that, I guess. I remember thinking at the time, if Umile reads this letter, he will never step down, out of spite.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      I was told that he didn’t acknowledge the crowd at the end of the game. True?
                      We watched carefully. After the team handshakes Madigan came back to center ice to shake Umile's hand a second time. Then Umile turned and walked to the bench and down the tunnel with hardly a side-ward glance - very sad. Thankfully Boyd (I think) had picked up the UNH sweaters that had been tossed on the ice by some juveniles so the players wouldn't have to skate over them as they circled the ice. On the whole a disappointing scene.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB View Post
                        We watched carefully. After the team handshakes Madigan came back to center ice to shake Umile's hand a second time. Then Umile turned and walked to the bench and down the tunnel with hardly a side-ward glance - very sad. Thankfully Boyd (I think) had picked up the UNH sweaters that had been tossed on the ice by some juveniles so the players wouldn't have to skate over them as they circled the ice. On the whole a disappointing scene.
                        Just don’t get that. Yes, things ended very badly for Dick, a lot of due to his own inattention. But he had a lot of great years, a lot of teams that provided a lot of great enjoyment for a lot of fans. Count me as one who was incredibly disappointed as how it all ended as it did, especially do to his failures as the leader of the program. But it shouldn’t take away everything that he did before. I spent a lot of thoroughly enjoyable years watching UNH Hockey and my guess is a lot of people there last night did as well. To not acknowledge their gratitude is really disappointing.

Comment

• i once had pleasure of watching a unh practice umile ran with / during bobby butler & co days.. some 3x3, some other stuff, but he used just half ice the whole time. one of the better coll sessions i have seen. kids were beat at end of it. excellent stuff. he made it look so simple, but players were seriously working, getting better no doubt. no standing around.

well, best to him. good guy.
                          GO NU HOCKEY
                          Always bullish on the future.
                          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by JAB View Post
                            Truth be told, I wanted to leave after the second NU goal. So soft. It was clear the game was just going to be MOTS. However I stuck it out because I felt I owed it to Dick. I know that sounds corny, but that is honestly how I felt. So like JAB, I was paying more attention to Umile at the end. I did think it was strange he didn't do more. Just a very sad ending. But I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. No matter what he did it would have been wrong. People would have complained he took a victory lap after winning only one game in three months. Others would have said he was taking attention away from the team, you had your celebration two weeks earlier. You had a few neanderthals throwing Umile shirts on the ice. A no win situation (no pun intended) Perhaps that is how it should have ended.

BTW, I agree with Chuck ("You're absolutely right, Chuck!") Coach Madigan called off the dogs on Saturday night. As much as I wanted to see the 'Cats score, I knew if they did knock a goal or two in that NU would have just stepped on the accelerator and answered them. Umile seemed very gracious to Madigan after the game and I presume/hope Dick was thanking him for not running it up in his last contest at home. As many of you know I haven't been a big fan of the Northeastern coach, but he earned some points in my book. Not that Coach Madigan cares what I think.
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Personally I think Coach did the right thing by leaving the ice the way he did on his own terms. No doubt/perhaps he saw the jersey toss and perhaps he didn't want to get more of the same....no shame there if you ask me. At FOH meetings he has said he'd rather talk after a win so maybe that was his thinking?

While there were only 2 jerseys thrown (and it was Boyd who picked them up) that was enough (and classless act on the part of the two fans who were sitting in the next section from us) I heard it was very upsetting to the team. Despite what we say about their abilities they are doing the best they can and do care about how things went. I wish them the best moving forward.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

HE tix for the UMaine v UNH games go on sale at 10:00 this morning...
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X