This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

So the solution apparently was to now bench Maass/Gildon and instead have Richard Boyd quarterback the powerplay.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      BU fans never anoint themselves. Fans didn’t select them as preseason #2, or whatever they were ranked preseason in Hockey East. In fact, fans have questioned it. So knock it off.
      Wow your ability to misconstrue message board posts and take everything personally is unmatched on USCHO - and that is an impressive feat. The point of the post was that you're good, even if not as good as you wish to be. Your coach is winning at a .640-ish clip with his own players and it is not good enough. Thats a fan base essentially 'annointing' itself as deserving more. Its not a slander, and has nothing to do with pre-season rankings, just a point - so don't take it as anything more.

Instead, calm down and and work on your overall reading comprehension. This is at least the third time in a year you've completely misread a post of mine and thrown a tantrum (out of, three times we've ever crossed paths)...
      Last edited by Dan; 02-19-2018, 01:12 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
        That has been the only 5-3 I have seen all year. I am amazed that is the go to move.

You must have missed the recent 4-3. One player below the goal line and outside the face-off dot. So basically the plan was to make it a 3 on 3? Since the other team didn't bother covering that guy.

It did make passing the puck around the outside, where there was little danger to the defense, much easier.
        I saw one 5-3 PP debacle go on for almost 90 seconds in Hanover, and another one for over 75 seconds at the Whitt. Our two guys down low were incapable of even passing the puck between themselves behind the net, let alone finding anyone open out front, which of course they were not as the other team could play them each one on one. If the plan was to stuff the puck into a corner behind the goalie, then that is simply an arrogant expectation of incompetent forwards, and a major disrespect for the defending goalie. Maybe TyK could have succeeded with that play, but no one we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          I’ll start off this post by reminding Dan that BU did little in the way of a national search when they hired Quinn. The two BU people I stay in touch with both told me that Quinn was the focus even before Parker was eased out the door. If there was any uncertainty, it was because Quinn was pretty successful in the pro ranks and there was a school of thought that he would just follow in the footsteps of Mike Sullivan. But I digress. .
          Greg - BU contacted a number of candidates, interviewed a handful, developed a search committee and started the process only when Parker's final season was wrapping up. They also excluded the outgoing coach from the search committee. The AD was quoted as saying, "We're looking at everybody" - including current HE head coaches, BU Alumni and non-BU Alumni. Perhaps they arrived at their pre-process favorite, but they had a process and a national search to verify that he was their man. As a result of following due process and casting a wide initial net - they got an absolute bear of a recruiter...

THAT is how things are done. That is not how it was done at UNH. There is a HUGE difference in the processes followed by the two schools. UNH asked the outgoing coach to hand-pick a replacement and never even considered considering additional names.

https://dailyfreepress.com/blog/2013...-hockey-coach/
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Maybe if I had seen the down 5-3 PP work early, I would not have been so irate. So, file that one as another lack of in-game adjustments when other coaches obviously had figured out a strategy to defend against it.
            That's the problem - it did work early. They scored on that set-up one of the first-times they trotted it out this season. It was a nice idea to start with. Then opponents adjusted, but UNH has never back, because it worked once...

The worst was the 5x4 PP - teams started confronting the points on the PP after UNH (Gildon especially) had so much success getting pucks to the net. UNH failed to adjust for a LONG period of time. Finally, they did adjust - as Watcher noted - by taking Gildon and Maass off the top PP and replacing them with Boyd and the first-unit forwards who haven't had PP success all season. Now Gildon and Maass, UNH's two best QB's are playing 30 seconds a PP or so. Its mind-boggling. Its why Ref is right to have an issue with the PP. Its why the PP is 9-for its last-69 (13%)...

The PP worked the last two years because they had superior talent in TK and AP - wheeling around the zone until they found someone with an open look and put the puck directly on their tape. They have not been able to scheme up a PP, or properly adjust when needed, in years...
            Last edited by Dan; 02-19-2018, 01:32 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Wow your ability to misconstrue message board posts and take everything personally is unmatched on USCHO - and that is an impressive feat. The point of the post was that you're good, even if not as good as you wish to be. Your coach is winning at a .640-ish clip with his own players and it is not good enough. Thats a fan base essentially 'annointing' itself as deserving more. Its not a slander, and has nothing to do with pre-season rankings, just a point - so don't take it as anything more.

Instead, calm down and and work on your overall reading comprehension. This is at least the third time in a year you've completely misread a post of mine and thrown a tantrum (out of, three times we've ever crossed paths)...
              You posted:

BU fans like to complain because they anoint themselves as the favorites every pre-season and have then turned out to be just another very good team each year.
              What did I misunderstand there?

Comment

That the best we can do is anoint our team to (((maybe))) winning on the road in the 1st round.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

The PP worked the last two years because they had superior talent in TK and AP - wheeling around the zone until they found someone with an open look and put the puck directly on their tape. They have not been able to scheme up a PP, or properly adjust when needed, in years...
                  A favorite of many good Coach Umile weekend moments was joking with a former player, asking what it would take for him to come back and coach the team on backdoor PP positioning. He responded, "I lived there!" I said, "Yeah, I know, that's why I'm asking." Clearly he had not observed our PP recently.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Just the entire point and overall context of the post. Its actually perfect that you quoted JUST that sentence in your response - because when you read the post the first time you focused only on that one sentence and completely missed what was actually being said. I bet you zeroed in on that sentence and yelped, "I can be offended by that!". Who cares what the other sentences discussed, right? At least this time, yes, you read the words correctly - next time focus on the broader context as to what those words mean...

If BU fans have such an issue with a .640 winning percentage from their coach - it means they think they should be winning more. If BU fans are unhappy with bowing out in an OT regional it means they believe their season deserves a top-4 finish at worst. That would lead some to think they believe they should be a favorite and they're underachieving. Its not difficult...
                    Last edited by Dan; 02-19-2018, 02:25 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Just the entire point and overall context of the post. Its actually perfect that you quoted JUST that sentence in your response - because when you read the post the first time you focused only on that one sentence and completely missed what was actually being said. I bet you zeroed in on that sentence and yelped, "I can be offended by that!". Who cares what the other sentences discussed, right? At least this time, yes, you read the words correctly - next time focus on the broader context as to what those words mean...
                      I read your whole post, understood it and actually agree with it. However, you had to throw in the comment about BU fans to make your point and that's what I was commenting on. Apologies it bothered you so much. You apparently have an issue when it comes to me so I will step out of this conversation. For the life of me I can't recall ever commenting on anything you post but it's obvious I struck a sensitive nerve. Good luck the rest of the way.

Comment

LOL, I'm not sensitive. I'm observant - and I've certainly noticed something about you...

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...nn#post6466152
                        **(Posts 172-174)

Originally posted by Dan
                        In all seriousness, Chickod, let me know how you think you and other BU fans would have acted if the BU admin had not acted in the best interests of the program and instead let Parker set his retirement date (at least 3 more seasons down the road) and pick his own (inexperienced) successor...
                        Originally posted by Scarlet
                        How on earth is David Quinn "inexperienced" in coaching? He was Parker's Associate head Coach. He was also an assistant coach at Northeastern, University of Nebraska-Omaha and was head coach of the U17 team. I think that's a solid resume. How experienced is Mike Souza?
                        Originally posted by Dan
                        I agree. Quinn has a lot of experience and Souza has little. That's why I said exactly that...
                        I think BU Fan 84 said it best at the time...

Originally posted by BU Fan 84
                        Wow, after your response to my post in the BU vs NU QF thread and this quoted gem, I've learned you are really bad with reading comprehension.
                        Anyway, bye...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

I thank my lucky stars everyday for that Jumbotron and all the help it has given us in recruiting. Just imagine how bad things would be without the shot in the arm that panacea brought us.
                          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                            I thank my lucky stars everyday for that Jumbotron and all the help it has given us in recruiting. Just imagine how bad things would be without the shot in the arm that panacea brought us.
                            Well, at least we've got that going for us.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              I read your whole post, understood it and actually agree with it. However, you had to throw in the comment about BU fans to make your point and that's what I was commenting on. Apologies it bothered you so much. You apparently have an issue when it comes to me so I will step out of this conversation. For the life of me I can't recall ever commenting on anything you post but it's obvious I struck a sensitive nerve. Good luck the rest of the way.
                              Just like the sensitive nerve that chickod tried to strike by mocking me/us for not being rich enough to attend a private college such as BU, or words to that effect. The BU threads must be incredibly boring (BORRRR-RINGGG, as the Cornell fans chant), for Terrier fans to be constantly trolling our threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Just like the sensitive nerve that chickod tried to strike by mocking me/us for not being rich enough to attend a private college such as BU, or words to that effect. The BU threads must be incredibly boring (BORRRR-RINGGG, as the Cornell fans chant), for Terrier fans to be constantly trolling our threads.
                                Well at first I was going to follow the sage advice of my Dad, who would always say to me, "Consider the source...then ignore it." But I can't. Because you have GOT to be kidding me. Are you on drugs? Seriously. You don't know one ****ing thing about me so I don't know what you are trying to stir up. And I am NOT going to go back and look through all of my posts in an attempt to ascertain what you might be referring to. No doubt you misinterpreted what I said (which seems to be a theme today).

I don't "mock" anyone. My parents worked their a**es off to put me through school. Fortunately, it was only $3000/year when I attended. It's too bad you have to "incite" discord with someone who, first of all, you don't even know (or know ANYTHING about), and second, who has taken a genuine interest in your program and tries to make periodic contributions. If you want to call that "trolling" then I can't explain the difference to you. Are you "BlackI" (the person on the Maine thread who tells everyone to "keep out of our thread and cheer for your own team")?

Why would I waste my time doing that? But, since you brought it up, you know what? Fine. You won't hear from me again. Good luck to you all. And Snively, you can go **rew yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X