355 on DirecTV is all I know..

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Mike Robinson gets the start..
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Mike Robinson gets the start..
        And, another Wildcat inches closer to double digit goals on the season! Who will be first to get there?

IIRC, Chuck is buying a beer at Libby's for that contest winner also?

Comment

As seen on Facebook "UNH decides to blow their two goal lead in the first period rather than wait for the third". Sigh...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Cue the music "Same old story same old song and dance my friend"🙄
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

UNH can, and will likely finish the regular season in last place in Hockey East. Somehow, it just seems so fitting.

Last edited by Scott; 02-16-2018, 08:29 PM.
              UNH

Comment

Definition of insanity: Going to a Wildcat hockey game and expecting a different result?

Comment

Once the game was tied 2-2 with still forty minutes of hockey to play, I already counted the game as a loss.

Lather, rinse, repeat......Lather, rinse, repeat.....
                  UNH

Comment

Originally posted by snively65 View Post
                    definition of insanity: Going to a wildcat hockey game and expecting a different result?
                    this ^ ^

Edit: Can't wait to read Umile's tiresome excuses in Foster's tomorrow....
                    UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Definition of insanity: Going to a Wildcat hockey game and expecting a different result?
                      Barring some catastrophic event, I will be there for the last home game of Umile’s career. What a non-event it is going to be. It’s hard to believe that a guy who parlayed a relatively high level of success into a contract for (almost) life is going out this way. I’m really not angry, just sad that things ended up this way. It really is unbelievable how both Charlie Holt and Dick Umile ended their careers with their worst teams ever. I know why it happened, but it is still mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        I know why it happened, but it is still mind boggling.
                        Enlighten us. Seriously. Because after reading this all year, it seems to me the players are getting off rather lightly. I mean, do they "resent" the fact that all the attention has been on the Quest? Do they not like the coach? Because it seems to me they might want to put out a little extra effort to be a part of something special. Regardless of very recent history, 600 wins is a tremendous accomplishment and it's almost unbelievable that now they have to go to postseason to get 14 total wins in his last year. I'm just asking because I haven't seen many games so are they THAT BAD or is it lack of effort, indifference, no motivation? It just seems baffling to me.

I know it's a tired cliche but the coaches aren't out there playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          Enlighten us. Seriously. Because after reading this all year, it seems to me the players are getting off rather lightly. I mean, do they "resent" the fact that all the attention has been on the Quest? Do they not like the coach? Because it seems to me they might want to put out a little extra effort to be a part of something special. Regardless of very recent history, 600 wins is a tremendous accomplishment and it's almost unbelievable that now they have to go to postseason to get 14 total wins in his last year. I'm just asking because I haven't seen many games so are they THAT BAD or is it lack of effort, indifference, no motivation? It just seems baffling to me.

All of what you said are these Wildcats. Plain and simple. No way this team even with their limitations, should be where they are. You need grit and heart and a sense of team to pull out the close ones, to hold leads. Sorry this has not been evident and I don't think it's entirely a lack of ability. JMHO

EDIT: I doubt they aren't winning to spite DU and his NRN....that would be too easy an explanation
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-16-2018, 08:56 PM.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post

I don't know why people keep ignoring me when I discuss the lack of ability on the roster. They're NOT good. They're doing the best they can - but the recruiters have butchered the program and its not an exaggeration.

UNH has ONE, All-HE caliber talent - Gildon. There are three 'good' players on the roster in my opinion - Blackburn, Grasso (hurt) and Maass. I count two 'above-average' talents - McNicholas and Kelleher. The rest of the team is average to below average, with many (to borrow a baseball term) below replacement level. Its not a lack of effort. Its not something missing from the first month of the season. They're a very bad hockey team as they have proven since late October (FOUR MONTHS).

Its not a mystery. Its a lack of talent and it is entirely the coaches' faults. The recruiting has been terrible and the head guy hasn't paid any attention to recruiting for over a decade. Why would you expect the team to be better is a more interesting question. I mean we can pretend that with a little effort they should be better - but if you're not talented, hard work doesn't help you a whole lot. We can pretend that they just need to tap into what they did during their 5-0-0 start, but that was a complete fluke (combined with good fortune*). That start was a sample size of FIVE games. They've played 27 games since and gone 5-16-6 in that stretch. Its time to trust the larger sample size and stop living in fantasy land...

* If Lowell wasn't a mess the first few weeks and Colgate showed up at the Whitt with Colton Point - UNH is sitting on 7 wins right now, maybe 6...
                            Last edited by Dan; 02-16-2018, 08:59 PM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              I don't know why people keep ignoring me when I discuss the lack of ability on the roster. They're NOT good. They're doing the best they can - but the recruiters have butchered the program and its not an exaggeration.

UNH has ONE, All-HE caliber talent - Gildon. There are three 'good' players on the roster in my opinion - Blackburn, Grasso (hurt) and Maass. I count two 'above-average' talents - McNicholas and Kelleher. The rest of the team is average to below average, with many (to borrow a baseball term) below replacement level. Its not a lack of effort. Its not something missing from the first month of the season. They're a very bad hockey team as they have proven since late October (FOUR MONTHS).

Its not a mystery. Its a lack of talent and it is entirely the coaches' faults. The recruiting has been terrible and the head guy hasn't paid any attention to recruiting for over a decade. Why would you expect the team to be better is a more interesting question. I mean we can pretend that with a little effort they should be better - but if you're not talented, hard work doesn't help you a whole lot. We can pretend that they just need to tap into what they did during their 5-0-0 start, but that was a complete fluke (combined with good fortune). That start was a sample size of FIVE games. They've played 27 games since and gone 5-16-6 in that stretch. Its time to trust the larger sample size and stop living in fantasy land...
                              I'd add Wyse to your list of players amd concur wholeheartedly with your assessment.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                I'd add Wyse to your list of players amd concur wholeheartedly with your assessment.
                                Yes, youre right. I was thinking that even as I posted - Wyse is probably at least above average (maybe even good), but that still leaves a roster seven players better than average and then the rest. Seven is not going to get you many wins...
                                Last edited by Dan; 02-16-2018, 09:09 PM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X