X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Dan

Please stick to what you know softball. I am glad you have the time to look up every player with upside on websites but you probably have never seen any of them play. I presume your team is playing for national championships regularly but I do not know your school, your record, how many times you go to the finals. Your writing about our team and its poor play and coaching does not help with our recruiting as recruits do read the forum and you rarely see the venom on other sites that UNH fab 5-10 haters do on a regular basis.

Please let us know the softball website that we can rail on you if your team is not playing for national championships and win conference championships. This is a fan forum not a haters forum.

Good luck with your recruiting and softball season and I am sad that we do not have a softball team at UNH as you could then be athletic director and softball coach and we would have the number one team with the best recruits and coaches in all sports.

Comment

JB please find another team as you have been a Umile hater forever. It was a very disappointing year but I am a fan first and a naysayer on places other than message boards. Please send your apologies to the players and I am sure Coach Souza and Coach Stewart are much smarter about hockey and player talent than you.

Please let me know where your season ticket seats are as I want to be sure the haters on the board are at least at the games and supporting the players.

Comment

Please stop posting hate regularly. I see you at the games and the kids know who you are as they read it. If you want to hate on the team and coaches but it is your choice to do so but please do not call yourself a fan. We have all suffered over the past 3-4 seasons but we are in every game and nobody can be happy. I hope you give up your season tickets as it is best to have true fans just like those who went to basketball and football when we were awful.

I have faith in Mike Souza.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          The only "inside" knowledge is from cues we see. Max Gilson, who should be leading the rebuilding and have bought in to the new direction, had his brother commit elsewhere.
          Jason Miller, one of Souza's first recruits, and another of the new vanguard, quit after a semester.
          Drew Commesso, the first young star recruited by Souza watched for a half year and Decommitted.

So, it's not only the on ice product screams of unhappiness.
          Max Gildon is his name. Why would you think his brother should go to UNH???? They are not the Gaudreau's and it seems brothers go to BC and not many other schools
          James Miller should be the one who explains the reason he left. You do not know.
          Commesso probably saw there was an opening at BU for him to play his freshmen year.

You can be dead on sometimes Mr H and you gave us great information for many years. I am happy you are still loyal to your hometown school but you have ripped Umile since the day he started as coach. I hope you can find the love for Souza.

Comment

• Hey 1932/Administration - tell us more about how you see the UNH players all the time and how they have he best wrist shots and skills in hockey east and how this year is going to be a tournament year and how everything is rosy and the coaching is great at UNH and how they're going to be terrific but can never actually be terrific because everything is stacked against them and please also give us more excuses...!!!

I was going to sit this one out, but I'll be back later to discuss reality for you and the rest of the administration. Maybe take a moment to understand the mess you and the rest of your buddies have made whilst burying your head in the sand and less time worrying about the people who have the audacity to discuss the mess that has been made.

Take a look around the empty Whitt and you'll see what's become of UNH hockey and how the fans have voted. You and the administration - should once again be thankful that their remain fans who deeply care about the program. Considering so many have simply walked away...

I think you and the leaders of UNH hockey and UNH athletics are the ones that owe the players an apology - you've let them down at every turn and put them in unforgiving positions.

But keep coming back to the board 'to get the pulse of the fan base' only to take offense, argue semantics and do nothing! That should help the program. This is your focus group - check your ego, take notes and learn something. Doesn't sound like the fan focus organization ever took off - did they want to discuss more than concession food? Disrespectful jerks!

You keep asking me if I should have a job at UNH - get me one insider. I accept. You can at least count on me to not make excuses or quit when the going gets tough and our budget is smaller than BCs...

Oh no - other teams are also trying to win! How can we compete with that (even though we did for decades). FYI - everywhere I've been softball recruiting and on-field production has picked up noticeably. I'd love to coach a team at UNH. Look into that too for me please...
            Last edited by Dan; 02-18-2018, 10:19 AM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Ok...I have been "outed" on a few occasions esp as of late. Have felt an obvious change in how some at the 'Whitt once received me. Gee... I just wanna talk UNH hockey. And this is a public messsge board so I suppose if someone doesn't like my posts I guess my feeling would be "dont read 'em". Works for me.

And I really have had to think lately about what I write because I truly care about this team, it's players especially. Anyway I came to the conclusion that I should adopt the opinion of "what you think of me is none of my business". Finally if any player (and that's alll I care about caring about my opinions trust me) have been offended? It's only to you that I apologize and it was never personal....
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-18-2018, 11:20 AM.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                Commesso probably saw there was an opening at BU for him to play his freshmen year.
                LOL - you know nothing about the sport or the program outside of the kool-aid you guzzle. Commesso on the bench as a UNH frosh? Behind who? This is a pitiful excuse and I wonder where you got it from?!

I'm guessing we're all right more often than not - and certainly more often than you like. That's why you get so angry...

It's Max Gildon Watcher - not GilSon. Sure the S key is right next to the D and it's probably an easy typo and you're right about just about everything and you care a great deal but since you made that typo I'll redirect the argument to this semantic and pretend you just don't get it. Then I'll make a bunch of lame excuses about why UNH can't get kids and pretend BC is the only school that can get brothers (whilst ignoring the VRs apparently)...

32 - No one has been more outspoken than me about what UNH has to sell to recruits and their families from a program, facility and university stand point. So if recruits are reading my post they probably think UNH has a lot to offer. Maybe you should stop coming here and posting about UNH like it's some little sister of the poor playing in an abandoned barn while simultaneously setting expectations for them to fall well short of. I believe in UNH and I'm actively waiting for your boy to both prove he does to and that he can actually sell it.

It's clear with your excuse making - and the idea that everyone should be happy just to have a team watch lose or thy the coaches and AD can't be expected to do anything more - that you are the one who thinks UNH comes up short and you're the one pointing a hopeless picture of the future for recruits...

And not that I should have to explain myself to someone like you - but I've been to a large number of USHL games the last few years. I've seen Suchy and Valach. I've also seen all of the UNH recruits - including the ones who left the USHL. In person. I used to be a BCHL regular and now I catch highlights whenever I can and certainly of the players I mention. I exist as a fan outside of the UNH bubble, too. Unlike you. And I have connections in both leagues and around the NCAA - because before getting into softball I used to - wait for it - work in college hockey. So save me your lectures...

#SevenGoalsIn100Games
                Last edited by Dan; 02-18-2018, 10:45 AM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Ok...I have been "outed" on a few occasions esp as of late. Have felt an obvious change in how some at the 'Whitt once received me. Gee... I just wanna talk UNH hockey. And this is a public messsge board so I suppose if someone doesn't like my posts I guess my feeling would be "dont read 'em". Works for me.

And I really have had to think lately about what I write because I truly care about this team, it's players especially. Anyway I came to the conclusion that I should adopt the opinion of "what you think of me is none of my business". Finally if any player (and that's alll I care about caring about my opinions trust me) have been offended? It's only to you that I apologize.
                  You shouldn't worry about that - and good for you for realizing that. There is a problem in human behavior to lash out at other people when your own shortcomings are noted. They're not actually mad at you - they're mad at themselves. But it's hard to look in the mirror and address your own mistakes. It's easy to attack other people for the same faults or for recognizing where you have come up short. Coaching is a tough business, but it starts with accountability and recognizing mistakes and needed change. It ends when you blame others. UNHs problems are not due to the posters on this board or the fans in the seats (or the fans who have bolted).

If that's where coaches and administration think the fault lies - then it tells you all you need to know about why the program is where it is. They're focused on the wrong things - and THEY let the players down in doing so. Not us...
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                    Max Gildon is his name. Why would you think his brother should go to UNH???? They are not the Gaudreau's and it seems brothers go to BC and not many other schools
                    James Miller should be the one who explains the reason he left. You do not know.

You can be dead on sometimes Mr H and you gave us great information for many years. I am happy you are still loyal to your hometown school but you have ripped Umile since the day he started as coach. I hope you can find the love for Souza.
                    As my post stated, one can dissect and perhaps explain each decision by itself, but the trend line is not one I like. You say the hockey community reads these threads. Well, they also look for more direct signals. Would Gildon's brother be an impact kid -- no, probably an Eiserman lite. Would Miller be a top 4 D? I didn't think so. Would Warren Foegele have reasons for leaving beyond being misused by the new coaching staff? Did Farabee and Ryczek have reasons for bailing after the change was made? Blaming us for what the hockey community seems to be saying directly seems an easy excuse.

But they are votes of confidence that send signals in the community. Far more directly than our observations here.
                    Have I always ripped Umile? Far from it. I was a defender in the 2000s. However, as he failed to adjust, failed to bring in younger coaches who could relate to the recruits, I was more vocal in criticism of him and Borek. Essentially, a lack of thought about how he could improve his craft, what he could do to learn from the past, and get to the final goal. Then, when Borek left and we learned more details of Umile's complete detachment from helping himself in a key part of his job, and also saw him manifest his refusing to do the best for the program. I'll admit an enmity toward him based on a lack of skills I value, and a lack of effort, even though I also recognize that doing one thing pretty well over 28 years is nothing to be sneezed at.

As for Mike, I have no animosity. The past months I have reflected on my own career, and what was bing asked of Mike. On my part, I would have been ill prepared four years in if I had been thrust into the top position. I say "the top position" not in some generic sense, as in head of a restaurant, head of the local Liberty Mutual office, but truly a public, critical top position. There are only 60 DI head spots, a quarter of which are still pretty anonymous, so UNH as really asking Mike, with four years experience, to take a top 35 spots in the country, and perhaps a top 5 profile job in New Hampshire. I personally failed nine years into my career when given a potential key assignment, in large part because of a lack of experience, not (I like to think) a lack of skill. I had assisted others in similar endeavors, and even played a good supporting role, but doing so in a public role with outside critics is a different wicket. I have also seen peers rise to top positions in this country, meaning they had "it," but even with them I would not want them thrust into those positions four years in. I have probably unfairly highighted his lack of accomplishments, and as others -- CHuck I think -- have said, Mike was not without talent and promise as recognized by Cavanaugh. My harping on his lack of "wow" factor in his record was meant more as a criticism of the unfair decision by Umile and Scarano to impose that unfair choice on him: take a dream job well before you're ready for it, or never get the chance again.

I'm sorry you think this outlet is not productive, but with the entire UNH community being shut out of all decisions -- the Dick and Marty show -- we're forced to shout from the rooftops here when we see mistakes. We want accountability for those at the top and since the local press won't ask any critical questions, this is where we are at.

Mike has taken on an incredibly challenging task. It will be demanding -- moreso in that he doesn't strike me as an alpha type who usually get those premature opportunities based in large part on their wrongful conceit that they are ready. He's also chosen a results oriented profession, so I can think of the way we will "come to love Mike." I wish him well, and will try and mute my shouting when I hear Baghdad Marty telling us that "all is well." If I heard some recognition that they understand their mistakes I'd be less vocal.
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-18-2018, 11:31 AM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                      I hope you give up your season tickets as it is best to have true fans just like those who went to basketball and football when we were awful.
                      So I guess this explains why no efforts have been made by UNH to reach out to lost fans or to create new fans. They only want 'true' fans who realize how much of a privilege it is to watch UNH teams lose. It's not up to them to make any effort to reach fans with high-standards or those who can't afford the high prices. They either recognize the favor UNH does them by existing or they don't!

It sure mirrors the UNH recruiting pitch Watcher has pointed out - not negatively, but by simply quoting the HC to be. Why do we need to sell UNH to prospects. It's a privilege they should already realize.

This type of approach will certainly lead to bad teams playing in empty arenas (oh, wait!), but whatever...
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                        JB please find another team as you have been a Umile hater forever. It was a very disappointing year but I am a fan first and a naysayer on places other than message boards. Please send your apologies to the players and I am sure Coach Souza and Coach Stewart are much smarter about hockey and player talent than you.

Please let me know where your season ticket seats are as I want to be sure the haters on the board are at least at the games and supporting the players.
                        Section 119, Row J, Seat 1, come on down. You have said in previous posts that you have seen me in our building and in road buildings. Not many people in that section disagree with what I have been saying here. Most of them are ready to give up their seasons as they just do not see the value in watching what is being put on the ice. Some of these people have had seasons for 20+ years. There are rarely adjustments made in game, and I watch the same mistakes being made on the ice in game 1 and in game 30+ each of the last 3 years. The lack of in game adjustments and coaching is passable when you are doing well. The last 3 years have gone back to the old definition of insanity, keep doing the same things and expecting different/better results.

These players have been put in an awful situation. They are being asked to play well over their skill set by a coaching staff that in game has done very little to help them. I would like to take in a few practices to see what they work on, but when it gets to be game time it looks like the same old same old every game.

I give credit where credit is due, there was a spark in the Lowell series at the start of the year where players were attacking in the neutral zone, they were working their way through a tough team and took two wins out of them. They carried that through until they went to Burlington (I was there too) where the flashbacks to the last 2 plus years started to show through. No possession coming out of their own end, dump and chase hockey, bad turnovers in the neutral zone and in front of their own net. This has been the story going forward and the results reflect that. Where did that team we saw at the beginning go? We can say they were overachieving early but there was something there, on the ice, that has been missing since that point. I want to believe it was a system that Souza was tying trying that got squashed because it was "new" and that he will be able to fully implement that stuff next year. I'm having my doubts about that but I hope things do come around.
                        Last edited by deltabravo62; 02-18-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                          Nice post Greg, and as HockeyRef and others know, Admin. does follow this forum.....unfortunately, they take the former position and feel that any criticism isn’t constructive.....during the McCloskey incident, we were asked why we would air our dirty laundry out in public.....as if putting our version of events, and in most cases the truth, wasn’t a good thing....only their version of how UNH should be was correct.......it was very disheartening let alone leaving most of the FOWH folks to abandon their UNH hockey traditions.....in reading thru this thread, everyone can see how both UNH hockey programs have dissolved under Scarano’s appointment......maybe one day the University Trustees will get around to wondering why they don’t read of any UNH varsity sport in the national headlines any more, rather than just being thankful there are no issues to be dealt with.....all is copecetic in Durham.
                          Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                          Another piece I would add to this is that for the most part these players are still auditioning for their chance at playing this game professionally outside of college. I would not think that these guys would be tanking out for ANY reason, especially the guys who are not drafted and are not likely to get another chance to prove that they can be of use to a professional team in any level beyond college. Their talent level is what it is, but this team is seemingly without any direction on or off the ice. There does not seem to be an aggressive recruiting plan, there has not been any improvement in game planning, and it all ties together into the 17 game stretch that we have been watching. A team that does not care or is not trying does not come out of the gate with force the way they have the last two games and a team without a great level of talent gives those games away. So I agree with the consensus that we seem to be arriving at which is a limited level of talent that is not being coached up and as a result are frustrated, 'Umiliated, and can not get out of the rut.

Both the lack of available talent and the lack of a system that works with the players you have falls on the coaching staff. If Umile is the decision maker for the program as it has been stated then the buck stops at him. If that is the case he deserves every bit of the anger and criticism thrown his way for allowing the program to fall this far into the abyss. For the administration and those "inside the bubble" who think things are all fine and dandy (and I have been told you read this forum), they are not. I expect to hear plenty about how optimistic you are for next season, without some major upgrades on and behind the bench you will be lying to yourselves and everyone you tell that to. The man you have been celebrating all this year (I know I have not been) has lead us to this point. Do not be surprised when your STH renewals hit an all time low next year, almost everyone I know who is one has no plans of renewing. Your plan has failed, now it is time to get to work to fix it, good luck marketing this team next year...

I know this is where all the "negative people" go to air out their grievances. I do not want to have to be this way with this team. I want to see them do well, I want to be excited to go to games, I want to feel like we have a chance to win any game we play. That optimism is gone, and without proof of a way forward, that feeling is not coming back anytime soon.
                          I thought these were two insightful and interesting posts that sadly got lost in the "32 Shuffle". Anyone who needs any insight into how UNH admin close ranks on "internal issues" should ask those in the know what happened surrounding the aftermath of the McCloskey firing with the FOWH. Some folks (including zoofer, quoted above) were kind enough to give me a brief peek inside the tent when that was all going on. Without betraying confidences, what I learned was frankly sobering, and colors my commentary here to this day.

I think deltabravo62's comments about the disconnect between UNH admin and the program's long-standing supporters should hit home with those "inside the bubble" if they should dare to peek outside the bubble. Unfortunately, the college world is not about listening to varying viewpoints at this point in our history. If you're not on board with their narrative - if you don't have the inside track on a secret handshake - you're just white noise, to be ignored at all costs, because (as '32 so aptly puts it), they simply know better than we do.

Not sure how I got left out of '32's screed ... maybe some of my borderline sentimentality for our outgoing coach has lifted me up from the "dregs" like Dan, JB and 'Watcher?? I'll have to try harder, if I am to live up to my new role as outlined in my updated tag.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            As for Mike, I have no animosity. The past months I have reflected on my own career, and what was bing asked of Mike. On my part, I would have been ill prepared four years in if I had been thrust into the top position. I say "the top position" not in some generic sense, as in head of a restaurant, head of the local Liberty Mutual office, but truly a public, critical top position. There are only 60 DI head spots, a quarter of which are still pretty anonymous, so UNH as really asking Mike, with four years experience, to take a top 35 spots in the country, and perhaps a top 5 profile job in New Hampshire. I personally failed nine years into my career when given a potential key assignment, in large part because of a lack of experience, not (I like to think) a lack of skill. I had assisted others in similar endeavors, and even played a good supporting role, but doing so in a public role with outside critics is a different wicket. I have also seen peers rise to top positions in this country, meaning they had "it," but even with them I would not want them thrust into those positions four years in. I have probably unfairly highighted his lack of accomplishments, and as others -- CHuck I think -- have said, Mike was not without talent and promise as recognized by Cavanaugh. My unfairness on harping on his lack of "wow" factor in his record was meant more as a criticism of the unfair decision by Umile and Scarano to impose that unfair choice on him: take a dream job well before you're ready for it, or never get the chance again.

I'm sorry you think this outlet is not productive, but with the entire UNH community being shut out of all decisions -- the Dick and Marty show -- we're forced to shout from the rooftops here when we see mistakes. We want accountability for those at the top and since the local press won't ask any critical questions, this is where we are at.

Mike has taken on an incredibly challenging task. It will be demanding -- moreso in that he doesn't strike me as an alpha type who usually get those premature opportunities based in large part on their wrongful conceit that they are ready. He's also chosen a results oriented profession, so I can think of the way we will "come to love Mike." I wish him well, and will try and mute my shouting when I hear Baghdad Marty telling us that "all is well." If I heard some recognition that they understand their mistakes I'd be less vocal.
                            That's a great nickname - very fitting. If only I could bring myself to even mutter his name, I'd be all over it.

Otherwise, that's an incredibly empathetic review and assessment of the situation Coach Souza finds himself in.

BS35+5 may be the emptiest of the many empty suits I've seen in my life, so that's another obstacle MS faces.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                              Section 119, Row J, Seat 1, come on down. You have said in previous posts that you have seen me in our building and in road buildings. Not many people in that section disagree with what I have been saying here. Most of them are ready to give up their seasons as they just do not see the value in watching what is being put on the ice. Some of these people have had seasons for 20+ years. There are rarely adjustments made in game, and I watch the same mistakes being made on the ice in game 1 and in game 30+ each of the last 3 years. The lack of in game adjustments and coaching is passable when you are doing well. The last 3 years have gone back to the old definition of insanity, keep doing the same things and expecting different/better results.

These players have been put in an awful situation. They are being asked to play well over their skill set by a coaching staff that in game has done very little to help them. I would like to take in a few practices to see what they work on, but when it gets to be game time it looks like the same old same old every game.

I give credit where credit is due, there was a spark in the Lowell series at the start of the year where players were attacking in the neutral zone, they were working their way through a tough team and took two wins out of them. They carried that through until they went to Burlington (I was there too) where the flashbacks to the last 2 plus years started to show through. No possession coming out of their own end, dump and chase hockey, bad turnovers in the neutral zone and in front of their own net. This has been the story going forward and the results reflect that. Where did that team we saw at the beginning go? We can say they were overachieving early but there was something there, on the ice, that has been missing since that point. I want to believe it was a system that Souza was tying trying that got squashed because it was "new" and that he will be able to fully implement that stuff next year. I'm having my doubts about that but I hope things do come around.
                              Yep thanks for validating my UMl reflections and like you...I saw it at UVM...
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Its amazing that Maine fans said the exact same things when Tim took the program downhill. Exactly. Tim considered them Outliers or in his words "5 internet nut cases"
                                I like that one, Wally. So, maybe we have a dozen or more internet nut cases at UNH.

Still a chance that I will win our MBPBEGAM contest with UNH visiting Orono for two of three. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X