This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Greg - BU contacted a number of candidates, interviewed a handful, developed a search committee and started the process only when Parker's final season was wrapping up. They also excluded the outgoing coach from the search committee. The AD was quoted as saying, "We're looking at everybody" - including current HE head coaches, BU Alumni and non-BU Alumni. Perhaps they arrived at their pre-process favorite, but they had a process and a national search to verify that he was their man. As a result of following due process and casting a wide initial net - they got an absolute bear of a recruiter...

THAT is how things are done. That is not how it was done at UNH. There is a HUGE difference in the processes followed by the two schools. UNH asked the outgoing coach to hand-pick a replacement and never even considered considering additional names.

https://dailyfreepress.com/blog/2013...-hockey-coach/
    Perhaps, but Quinn was the focus from day one. Really, an obvious choice. Were you surprised when he was chosen? I certainly wasn’t.
    Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 02-19-2018, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Enough already with the PP debate. In the Umile era I can only remember three years when the PP was effective. 1992 when Dominic Amedeo and Joe Flanagan perfected the back door play. I think Flanagan has around 25 goals that year and at least 15 were on the PP. 1998, when they actually had two good PP units, Mowers, Krog, Nickulas, Nolan, Bekar. That’s the year they scored more short handed goals than the opposition had PP goals. 1999, Krog, Haydar, Souza, magic. After that the emphasis seemed to be to score off the initial rush. A recipe for disaster against a good team. How about we get a few guys who can worm their way in close and pick a corner? Now that would be nice.

Comment

Gettin' nasty around here. Can't we all just get along (except for '32 and billb, of course)? Where did ecat get to?
        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
          Gettin' nasty around here. Can't we all just get along (except for '32 and billb, of course)? Where did ecat get to?
          We could use his help! Think we could also use a satisfying win! Wow can't believe we are at Senior weekend already...whoa. I remember when the "ten"'came in and now there are seven. I hope they have some positives in their games coming up. Go 'Cats!
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Just a quick comment here before I dive into the next update on the Quest ... I have to say, this talk about "other" people who are supposedly "trolling" on "our thread" makes me nauseous. When exactly did USCHO become reflective of today's "safe spaces" tribalistic mentality? Has the rot originating on our effete campuses set into our society so deeply at this point, that we can't tolerate an opposing viewpoint?

This is USCHO, not "Wildcat Corner" or "Terrier Talk" or "Eagle Action". This specific forum combines all of NCAA Men's Division 1 Hockey. There is no restrictive access to reading or even *gasp* participating in ANY thread, for ANY reason. Once upon a time, not so long ago, we thrived on participating in "other" threads. And there were more general interest, and less team-specific threads, too. It's called "free speech" and "broadening your horizons". There's kind of a long-standing history of it in this country, some of you may have heard??? I mean, unless it runs counter to the "Hate Speech 101" syllabus with Dr. Marx-Lenin over at Castro Hall.

C'mon folks, ferchrissakes, person man up, and deal.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Snive and chick should take it over to the immigration policy reform thread.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

To the absolute surprise of no one - not even the WIS panel - the UNH Hockey program crawled through another winless week of hockey in what were two very winnable games. "Groundhog Day Chapter 3" arrived cleverly disguised as "White Out The Whitt" at midweek, and the boys found a way to gack up another multi-goal, 3rd period lead on their way to a pathetic OT loss to UMaine. And after that, there was never going to be a question that Merrimack would come up with the win on Friday night, was there? So two more precious chances to re-ignite the flame under the former Quest have now come and gone, and the outlook for a somewhat happy ending for our hero seems downright bleak at this point, as this epic Shakespearian tragedy in the making staggers out of the turn and trailing badly, leaking oil down the home stretch, as WIS presents our latest prognostications in this probable penultimate "I Can't Help But Slow Down to Gawk at the Car Crash on the Other Side of the Spaulding Turnpike" edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The Chase Desperate Scramble for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 596
                Wins Remaining to NRN (Next Round Number): 4
                Games Remaining (plus 2 min. MBPBEGAM games): 4
                Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 80%-ish*
                WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 10%
                2017/2018 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 6/18 (33.3%)

With another winless week behind them, and UNH sliding in the direction of the cellar and a lock on the #11 seed, to say Coach's chances of getting to the NRN are looking increasingly slim would be a massive understatement. We now know that even with an improbable two game sweep over the Huntington Hounds this coming weekend, UNH will need to win the MBPBEGAM round of the HE Tourney to have a chance to get to that lofty goal. And as the WIS panel scans the horizon for the possible "path to victory", it seems that just a single win against the Huskies - who couldn't be blamed if they were overconfident OR under-motivated, with only an improbable shot at winning a HE regular season title depending on UMaine also sweeping BC on the road - keeps the nightmare dream alive for another week for Coach Umile. Another winless weekend means UNH would have to somehow find 4 wins over two weekends of postseason play, and after winning all of one (1) game since the Providence/RPI streak in late 2017, one might say that's a bit unlikely. Surprisingly, the WIS panel will be swimming against the tide with our predictions, as this Desperate Scramble gets a little bit more interesting when ...

Predictions:

Friday: @ Northeastern 3 UNH 1
                Saturday: @ UNH 4 Northeastern 2

NEXT (LAST?) CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: TBD in the MBPBEGAM round of the "playoffs"

COMING ATTRACTIONS - THE GRASSO REDSHIRT NUMBER (GRSN)

Soon to be done with the regular season, we'll shortly turn our attention to the MBPBEGAM round of the HE "playoffs", and the GRSN - not to be confused with the NRN. This was brought to the fore by Dan regarding the prospects of Patrick Grasso's potentially lost season, and the chances he'll be allowed a "medical redshirt". A minimum of six (6) post-season games will be necessary for Grasso's 2017/2018 season not to become a total loss. So the Grasso Red Shirt Number sits at a 40 game UNH slate. The WIS panel has held firm on Grasso's chances of following in the career path of the great Tommy Nolan to be Slim to None, and Slim Just Hopped on His Horse After Friday Night's Loss at North Andover HS. We'll revisit this assessment if UNH shows any signs of life this coming weekend.

FOXHOLE CHALLENGE - US AGAINST THE WORLD (in honor of Felger's dopey penguin)

Us 1
                The World 12

In honor of Coach Umile's legacy, we'll close with this excerpt from the Led Zep epic, "Achilles' Last Stand" ...

To seek the man whose pointing hand
                The giant step unfolds
                With guidance from the curving path
                That churns up into stone

If one bell should ring
                In celebration for a king
                So fast the heart should beat
                As proud the head with heavy feet

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  When exactly did USCHO become reflective of today's "safe spaces" tribalistic mentality? Has the rot originating on our effete campuses set into our society so deeply at this point, that we can't tolerate an opposing viewpoint?
                  Ahhh Chuck, I can't remember the year but I want to say probably 2005? 2004? Mass bannings here on USCHO by the gestapo admin led you to describe the board going "Oprah" IIRC (memory is a bit hazy, forgive me if I'm not correct). It's pretty much been a "safe space" since then.

In other news, it was nice to see UNH1932 hitting the moonshine on the holiday weekend. Poor guy snapped.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                    Sittin' this one out. I learned early in life not to worry about things I can't control like; UNH recruiting, coaching, PP, PK.....! I only care about SOG
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Ahhh Chuck, I can't remember the year but I want to say probably 2005? 2004? Mass bannings here on USCHO by the gestapo admin led you to describe the board going "Oprah" IIRC (memory is a bit hazy, forgive me if I'm not correct). It's pretty much been a "safe space" since then.
                      I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast these days, so if that's your memory, it works for me.

Hey, at least I'm consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        Sittin' this one out. I learned early in life not to worry about things I can't control like; UNH recruiting, coaching, PP, PK.....! I only care about SOG
                        Wishing that's all I cared about! You are a good soul, here to help. Every board needs an e.cat!!!
                        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Wishing that's all I cared about! You are a good soul, here to help. Every board needs an e.cat!!!
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            I’m sure that those on the inside read this forum daily. Back when Dave Lassonde was an assistant, he admitted that for awhile he thought I was Watcher. Wonder who he would think Dan is. But,seriously, I think it’s good that these people read this forum. They can take what we have to say in one of two ways. They can classify us as outliers, the negativity types, who just want to complain. Or they could (should) say that, hey these are people who care deeply about the program, want it to succeed, so maybe we should take what they have to say to heart. I have been an ardent fan of the program since the first time I went to Snively 47+ years ago.. I considered Charlie Holt a friend. Anyone who knows me knows that I have had, at times, an irrational devotion to the program. Some of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had in my life have been because of UNH Hockey. My wife and I have made lifelong friendships through our devotion to UNH Hockey. There is a part of me that is just miffed that these things are being stolen from me. And, btw, I am not alone in feeling this way. Anybody on the inside who reads this, you know who my friends are, you know my travel companions. They think like I do, trust me.
                            Great post Greg. Like you my wife and I have made many great friends through UNH Hockey over the years. Attending games, road trips, board member on Friends, etc., etc. We started brining our daughter when she was a baby (now 14) who now has many UNH Hockey memories of her own. We have had season tickets since the inaugural season of the Whit, went to every game a the JFK in Manchester, and attended countless games as students at Snively. The trip down the Umile era memory lane during the UVM weekend brought back many of those memories, and I actually felt a bit emotional after watching it. I could never have imagined a winter without UNH Hockey, its was not even a question. However, for the first time the thought of not renewing our season tickets has actually crossed my mind. I'm by no means a fair weather fan, but the lack of any type of excitement, and watching loss after pathetic loss is getting old. I'm sure come next fall I will renew, and we will plunk our buts in our same seats weekend after weekend, but the anticipation and excitement for those games that I used to feel is completely gone. Maybe the Souza era will be the start of something great, one can hope.
                            Last edited by d.gerry; 02-21-2018, 07:38 AM.
                            GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                              Great post Greg. Like you my wife and I have made many great friends through UNH Hockey over the years. Attending games, road trips, board member on Friends, etc., etc. We started brining our daughter when she was a baby (now 14) who now has many UNH Hockey memories of her own. We have had season tickets since the inaugural season of the Whit, went to every game a the JFK in Manchester, and attended countless games as students at Snively. The trip down the Umile era memory lane during the UVM weekend brought back many of those memories, and I actually felt a bit emotional after watching it. I could never have imagined a winter without UNH Hockey, its was not even a question. However, for the first time the thought of not renewing our season tickets has actually crossed my mind. I'm by no means a fair weather fain, but the lack of any type of excitement, and watching loss after pathetic loss is getting old. I'm sure come next fall I will renew, and we will plunk our buts in our same seats weekend after weekend, but the anticipation and excitement for those games that I use to feel is completely gone. Maybe the Souza era will be the start of something great, one can hope.
                              Dale, you are one of those friends I was talking about. Lot of great memories. I just hope you and I, as well as the next generation of Gregs and Dales, can experience the same.

Comment

Perhaps a sneak peek into what BS35+5's "national search" might have looked like ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3745NRxpo

Comment

Working...
                                X