X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by JB View Post
    To me that was a championship game setup for UNH to blow BU out of the building. That BU team was gassed by the 10 minute mark of the 1st period - from the very late night before. BU had a few chances on some bad D play by UNH and Ayers bailed them out. Otherwise BU spent the vast majority of the night just getting the puck far enough out of zone to get a line change. In those days you could line change on an icing and BU iced it a ton. Conversely UNH spent the night getting the puck to the redline dumping it in and making BU play defense. The not to lose strategy of waiting for BU to be tired and falter made that game much harder.

I thought UNH played much better in the NCAAs that year and didn't have a huge issue with the strategy in the NCAA Championship game. Trying to skate with that Minnesota team wouldn't have gone well. It worked for 2 periods until Vanek decided to be interested in the game.
    That's my recollection as well. Got really lucky to have a weak backhand centering pass deflect in, otherwise another Umiliation.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
      I thought UNH played much better in the NCAAs that year and didn't have a huge issue with the strategy in the NCAA Championship game. Trying to skate with that Minnesota team wouldn't have gone well. It worked for 2 periods until Vanek decided to be interested in the game.
      Who knows? Perhaps if we had put some points on the board before Vanek got interested in the game, his goals would not have been so devastating. But, kinda hard to win a game when you are coached not to try to score goals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Who knows? Perhaps if we had put some points on the board before Vanek got interested in the game, his goals would not have been so devastating. But, kinda hard to win a game when you are coached not to try to score goals.
        Let's not forget that UNH skated with Minnesota for an entire weekend earlier that same season, winning 3-1 and tying 5-5. The idea that MN was a dramatically better team that UNH couldn't keep up is hindsight rooted in the fact that after the Gophers went ahead 2-1 things got away from UNH.

I'd like to hear specifics as to why posters think that UNH has been playing not to lose recently? Umile's history of coaching 'tight' not withstanding, what indicates that's happening now?

When you watch UNH fail to skate with NU, dump pucks and or defend often - its (again) because they CANNOT skate with NU. NU is significantly more talented and skilled, so of course they'll make UNH look slow, cautious and defensively oriented. I don't buy that they're being coached to play not to lose, it's all about the lack of actual talent...
        Last edited by Dan; 02-05-2018, 02:43 PM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Let's not forget that UNH skated with Minnesota for an entire weekend earlier that same season, winning 3-1 and tying 5-5. The idea that MN was a dramatically better team that UNH couldn't keep up is hindsight rooted in the fact that after the Gophers went ahead 2-1 things got away from UNH.

I'd like to hear specifics as to why posters think that UNH has been playing not to lose recently? Umile's history of coaching 'tight' not withstanding, what indicates that's happening now?

When you watch UNH fail to skate with NU, dump pucks and or defend often - its (again) because they CANNOT skate with NU. NU is significantly more talented and skilled, so of course they'll make UNH look slow, cautious and defensively oriented. I don't buy that they're being coached to play not to lose, it's all about the lack of actual talent...
          I agree about recent seasons, as we rarely have a lead to sit on, and usually are playing catch up against the likes of Army. Perhaps the Brown game would be a good example the other way, IIRC?

I piled on this complaint based primarily on the coaching when we had those good teams, commonly scored first, sometimes in the first minute of the game, and then would try to coast the rest of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Funny you mention the NU game; we were talking about the lack of risk taking (like, the D jumping into the rush) but understood that to do so would be tough given the level of competition we were playing. I'm not going to 'rip' any of the players; it is what it is. I was thrilled we got out of that game with the tie; wasn't what I expected going in that's for sure.

Now, in the next game (UMass) that second goal of theirs (which was disallowed thankfully) could've made things interesting. It's been rare to see UNH (this season) ramp it up to protect that lead as we've seen i.e. Brown for whatever reason. So, I don't think they are being coached not to lose; they should be coached to exceed whatever is being thrown at them. Of course, that depends on the ability of the team, doesn't it?
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Not criticizing you, Snively65 ... but wow, how the worm has turned. I know it's hard to remember back that far sometimes, but once upon a time, UNH was criticized for being too wide open, and they were usually among the top scoring teams in the country for a good chunk of Coach Umile's first decade in charge (and not so infrequently afterwards too, for a few seasons anyway). A lot of us attributed UNH's post-season debacles ("Umile-ations") to his teams' failures to adapt to the more intense, less wide-open play usually encountered in the postseason. So he adjusted, right around the turn of the century, and those were his teams who came closest to getting to the top of the D-1 mountain. Sure, losses in big games did not go away, but those embarrassing blowouts seemed to decrease in frequency and scale. That's hard for me to say, since I was there in person in 2002 to watch UNH crater to UMaine in the FF semis, a few short weeks after they'd beaten the same UMaine squad in the HE Finals. And that wasn't Walshy behind the other bench - that was Tim Whitehead.

Last March's Game Three instant collapse at Lowell was maybe a new experience for some of our newbies, but a brutally painful reminder to many of us who've seen those implosions in the past WAY too often. Sure, blowouts in winner-take-all games are infrequent, but it can happen to anyone, anywhere. But when it happens/happened so more frequently to a certain program under a certain coach, you'd have to be deaf, dumb and/or blind not to notice, and then not to ask questions/look for answers. EJ was right, not playing in those games in recent years has let us forget about this issue. I suppose that means Coach has outsmarted us, right ... ???
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Not criticizing you, Snively65 ... but wow, how the worm has turned. I know it's hard to remember back that far sometimes, but once upon a time, UNH was criticized for being too wide open, and they were usually among the top scoring teams in the country for a good chunk of Coach Umile's first decade in charge (and not so infrequently afterwards too, for a few seasons anyway). A lot of us attributed UNH's post-season debacles ("Umile-ations") to his teams' failures to adapt to the more intense, less wide-open play usually encountered in the postseason. So he adjusted, right around the turn of the century, and those were his teams who came closest to getting to the top of the D-1 mountain. Sure, losses in big games did not go away, but those embarrassing blowouts seemed to decrease in frequency and scale. That's hard for me to say, since I was there in person in 2002 to watch UNH crater to UMaine in the FF semis, a few short weeks after they'd beaten the same UMaine squad in the HE Finals. And that wasn't Walshy behind the other bench - that was Tim Whitehead.

Last March's Game Three instant collapse at Lowell was maybe a new experience for some of our newbies, but a brutally painful reminder to many of us who've seen those implosions in the past WAY too often. Sure, blowouts in winner-take-all games are infrequent, but it can happen to anyone, anywhere. But when it happens/happened so more frequently to a certain program under a certain coach, you'd have to be deaf, dumb and/or blind not to notice, and then not to ask questions/look for answers. EJ was right, not playing in those games in recent years has let us forget about this issue. I suppose that means Coach has outsmarted us, right ... ???
                I loved those wide-open games, especially when we had those speedy wingers on the big sheet at Lake Whitt. And, I loved watching us score in the opening minute(s) of games. But, it drove me nuts when we would sit back in the third, let the other team rack up SOG (as you rightly explain), and allow other teams back into games. But, that hold-back strategy in the 2003 NC game drove me more nuts than anything that I had seen before or have seen since. I got my 2003 FF tickets from a Michigan State fan from the old HockeyL board who an extra, so I had to explain to them that I was as perplexed as they were by the UNH strategy in that one. After Vanek's second goal, same guy told me that UNH would win a NC when the Red Sox win a WS. So, now it has been 14 years.
                Last edited by Snively65; 02-05-2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  I loved those wide-open games, especially when we had those speedy wingers on the big sheet at Lake Whitt. And, I loved watching us score in the opening minute(s) of games. But, it drove me nuts when we would sit back in the third, let the other team rack up SOG (as you rightly explain), and allow other teams back into games. But, that hold-back strategy in the 2003 NC game drove me more nuts than anything that I had seen before or have seen since. I got my 2003 FF tickets from a Michigan State fan from the old HockeyL board who an extra, so I had to explain to them that I was as perplexed as they were by the UNH strategy in that one. After Vanek's second goal, same guy told me that UNH would win a NC when the Red Sox win a WS. So, now it has been 14 years.
                  Maybe UNH is the Philadelphia Eagles of Cawlidge Hawkey?!?
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Some more trivia for this 'woe is us' thread:

21 Div 1 teams have hardware that includes at least one NC. Which team has the most NCAA appearances without a NC? Ans: Clarkson, with 20, and 7 FFs. UNH and St Lawrence are next, tied at 15, with 7 and 9 FFs, respectively.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Some more trivia for this 'woe is us' thread:

21 Div 1 teams have hardware that includes at least one NC. Which team has the most NCAA appearances without a NC? Ans: Clarkson, with 20, and 7 FFs. UNH and St Lawrence are next, tied at 15, with 7 and 9 FFs, respectively.
                      UNH has 22 NCAA Tournament appearances, per USCHO.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/history/n...key/2017-2018/
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

26 days left (or 33 if we get into the next round)
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Maybe UNH is the Philadelphia Eagles of Cawlidge Hawkey?!?
                          And it now appears Josh McDaniels is the Mike Souza of the Pats. Hardware differential notwithstanding.
                          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            26 days left (or 33 if we get into the next round)
                            So what you're saying is there are only 26 days left then ...
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Apparently a ton of alumni expected for the weekend; guess Bekar and Krog visited Coach at the U today...
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                                UNH has 22 NCAA Tournament appearances, per USCHO.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/history/n...key/2017-2018/
                                Hmm, all three of those that pulled from CHN may be incorrect then.

Comment

Working...
                                X