X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
    Last 5 games? Last 15 years...
    Well E.J. 15 years ago this March they won their second of their two HE titles and in April lost in the FF final. Last 5 years, yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      Well E.J. 15 years ago this March they won their second of their two HE titles and in April lost in the FF final. Last 5 years, yes.
      What a minute. That second HE championship was a game played entirely in not to loose form. BU was exhausted from late multiple OT game the night before and UNH's game plan was novacaine... slow but works. It was also the ultimate play not to loose.

I would agree the NCAAs was a different story.
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
        What a minute. That second HE championship was a game played entirely in not to loose form. BU was exhausted from late multiple OT game the night before and UNH's game plan was novacaine... slow but works. It was also the ultimate play not to loose.

In reference to Ray Dorn's original post about our team playing not to lose in the third and OT, I thought that we were playing not to lose from opening whistle in the 2003 NC game, holding one of out forwards back on the attack. And, all that did was give Vanek one more of our guys to skate around.

Comment

Winnik - came in as a solid faceoff guy and stayed that way while in Durham.
          I’d add Mike Sullivan

Comment

JB surprised at you. My recollection of that game was the goaltending, both Curry and Ayers. And, of course, Teplitsky to Whitney. The idea that teams would play not to lose a championship game is ludicrous.

Comment

When I said 15 years I was being charitable, I’d say it actually goes back to the loss to CC in the late 90s.

Just because it occasionally works doesn’t mean you weren’t playing not to lose.
              I went home with a waitress the way I always do
              How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                In reference to Ray Dorn's original post about our team playing not to lose in the third and OT, I thought that we were playing not to lose from opening whistle in the 2003 NC game, holding one of out forwards back on the attack. And, all that did was give Vanek one more of our guys to skate around.
                If UNH has attempted to go up and down the ice with Minnesota that would have been blown out. Instead of using the perjorative “playing not to lose” how about “giving our team the best opportunity to win?” And don’t forget UNH played without Lanny Gare, who was their best defensive forward.

Comment

When I said 15 years I was being charitable, I’d say it actually goes back to the loss to CC in the late 90s.

Just because it occasionally works doesn’t mean you weren’t playing not to lose.
                  Just lost all credibility my friend. Late 90’s when they lost to CC? That would be 1997, the year before they started the run of four FF in six years. If you’re going back two decades, why not go back four or more, when they lost to RPI at home? Or 1976, when they lost to Harvard at home? You know, UNH should have beat BU in 1969! Why does the school even field a hockey team?

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

So, UNH is now officially the lowest scoring team in HE. 40 goals in 27 games. This will be a compelling race as we head down to the finish line.

UNH 40
                    Merrimack 41
                    Vermont 42
                    UMass 43

UNH hockey saw the shadow of its former self, so four more weeks of Umile, maybe five if they win the play-in round.
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-05-2018, 10:10 AM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      So, UNH is now officially the lowest scoring team in HE. 40 goals in 27 games.
                      No Grasso, fewer goals from McNick/Sal and no TyK scoring make the difference...along with fewer PP goals. Thank heaven for the PK; seems we've been to the box more than usual but don't have the stats in front of me.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Just lost all credibility my friend. Late 90’s when they lost to CC? That would be 1997, the year before they started the run of four FF in six years. If you’re going back two decades, why not go back four or more, when they lost to RPI at home? Or 1976, when they lost to Harvard at home? You know, UNH should have beat BU in 1969! Why does the school even field a hockey team?
                        Geez, I’m crushed.

How many of those FFs did they win? Because they had the talent to win at least 2 of them.

For the past 5 years we’ve been obsessed with the lack of talent coming to Durham but that’s only served to make us forget what a bad game coach DU was/is. Back in the day the talent papered that over, until it was down to the true cream of the crop, when even superior talent couldn’t carry him, I’d argue that on as many as 3 occasions during DU’s time UNH was the most talented team in the country. And yet we’re still waiting for our first NC.

You were never smart enough to understand that and now you’re too old to learn. Unfortunate.
                        I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                        How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Geez, I’m crushed.

How many of those FFs did they win? Because they had the talent to win at least 2 of them.

For the past 5 years we’ve been obsessed with the lack of talent coming to Durham but that’s only served to make us forget what a bad game coach DU was/is. Back in the day the talent papered that over, until it was down to the true cream of the crop, when even superior talent couldn’t carry him, I’d argue that on as many as 3 occasions during DU’s time UNH was the most talented team in the country. And yet we’re still waiting for our first NC.

You were never smart enough to understand that and now you’re too old to learn. Unfortunate.
                          EJ, you are giving my favorite all-time poster here Jacques "Rabbit" Porriveau a run for his money. Could not agree more on in-game coaching, never able to make adjustments, even during 15-minute intermissions. I think that the debacle of an implosion to RIT at the Albany regional in 2010 did it for me.

Greg, we will never agree on the 2003 NC game; we still had a couple of lines that could have run with the Golphs if they had been given a chance, even without Lanny.

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                            Pretty harsh ... but not entirely inaccurate. I'd go with "average" or "mediocre" at worst myself, 'cuz if he was truly "bad", I'm not sure he would have been able to sustain an overall winning program as long as he did. Did he have help along the way? Loads of it, oh yeah. Do you get that help - or do you get that otherworldly talent to commit to play for you - if you're "bad" and cruise along on simply being "Mr. Personality"? I doubt it. But overall, it's a very fair point (and one you've raised many times before, to be fair).

Sometimes the truth hurts. This happens to be one of those times.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              So, UNH is now officially the lowest scoring team in HE. 40 goals in 27 games. This will be a compelling race as we head down to the finish line.

UNH hockey saw the shadow of its former self, so four more weeks of Umile, maybe five if they win the play-in round.
                              The Punxsutawney Phil reference is priceless. I think that we have all been living Ground Hog Day in Durham for far too long. At least Bill Murray's character eventually figured out how to break thru the problem, unlike our dear Leader(S).

Dick or BS35 saw their shadow when they came out of the bunker, meaning 4 or 5 more weeks of turtlenecks. Does the bobble head have a turtleneck? Does it also whistle if you play too long?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                JB surprised at you. My recollection of that game was the goaltending, both Curry and Ayers. And, of course, Teplitsky to Whitney. The idea that teams would play not to lose a championship game is ludicrous.
                                To me that was a championship game setup for UNH to blow BU out of the building. That BU team was gassed by the 10 minute mark of the 1st period - from the very late night before. BU had a few chances on some bad D play by UNH and Ayers bailed them out. Otherwise BU spent the vast majority of the night just getting the puck far enough out of zone to get a line change. In those days you could line change on an icing and BU iced it a ton. Conversely UNH spent the night getting the puck to the redline dumping it in and making BU play defense. The not to lose strategy of waiting for BU to be tired and falter made that game much harder.

I thought UNH played much better in the NCAAs that year and didn't have a huge issue with the strategy in the NCAA Championship game. Trying to skate with that Minnesota team wouldn't have gone well. It worked for 2 periods until Vanek decided to be interested in the game.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X