Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 800 of 1001

Thread: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

  1. #781
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    4,441

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Wherrrrre's Al Pike?
    Pike still writes for Fosters...and he does a great job too calling it like it is. I'm not looking for a negative article, and, the season just ended so it's prob too soon, just think something needs to be written to wrap it all up. But, as I've said, anyone who went through the season already has given their own judgements on it, and guess the last piece of it will be said at the banquet. So, guess it is what it is, or, maybe there is something left to be said. I'd rather get to the future!
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-05-2018 at 04:26 PM.

  2. #782
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    192

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Buckle up folks as I dont think UNH has bottomed out - not sure you can be lower than last place in Hockey East but now the recruiting cupboard is bare and we have a rookie head coach taking over. Trying times for the program ahead in my opinion. Honestly, I think 3-4 years of the cellar then another head coach is whats in the future.

  3. #783
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    108

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Really a sad way to end the career for Dick. Great guy, great coach. Had some great teams that played fantastic, up and down clean hockey. No clutch and grab nonsense.

    Would have been great to see him win the big one. But just wasn't in the cards.

    Next chapter in UNH hockey history begins and we'll have to wait and see how it goes.
    First off, thank you Nick. I was surprised to see that from you but perhaps your history and Dick's tenure approximate each other. I too feel it an unfortunate way to go, but as noted, lots of the necessary ingredients were clearly missing.
    While this fall i could clearly see this as another down year, I just didn't see it as possibly being that bad. I came on here and said that I could envision a 7th place finish. My bad! I also responded that that I thought the top 2 lines could get 160+ points. Why not, only TK was missing. Very important but find a reasonable replacement and the second line - 7, 26 and 20 could easily up their production by 20-25% while the top line only be down 30%. Again, my bad! Not sure who we could count as the 1st and second lines as tht all chaged many tim
    I have to note some real disappointing progression from many, but it was across the board and doesn't bode well for the immediate future. As several have noted we are only 2 incoming goal scores from a much better team.
    Let me put the last nail in my coffin by saying we lost a lot of 1 goal game, often at the end and we could have fared better. Woula, coula, shouda doesn't move you up the standings. Thank you seniors - this must have felt like the year from hell.

  4. #784
    Say, this is nice. Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Wauwatosa, WI
    Posts
    34,087

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    I'll bite, why is there a NU fan talking trash?

    Umile was a architect of many unpleasant evenings for PC hockey, but his teams were fun to watch and no ever said anything bad about the guy. He certainly earned a better ending to his career than this...

    "I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

    2008 POTY

  5. #785
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    On the Contrary
    Posts
    769

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Pike still writes for Fosters...and he does a great job too calling it like it is. I'm not looking for a negative article, and, the season just ended so it's prob too soon, just think something needs to be written to wrap it all up. But, as I've said, anyone who went through the season already has given their own judgements on it, and guess the last piece of it will be said at the banquet. So, guess it is what it is, or, maybe there is something left to be said. I'd rather get to the future!
    I have no doubt there will be a season/career wrapup sooner rather than later. That is not what I was talking about. My point was that UNH-Maine is supposed to be this epic rivalry, its in the playoffs, and oh by the way, its the end of Dick Umile's career. And no local outlet could be bothered to cover it. Just symbolizes the increasing irrelevance of the program. Sad.

    Not that it matters, but I could have cared less who covered the game. The only thing important to me are the quotes. In reality, the increasing availability of access to the post game press conferences are making the jobs of the sportswriters obsolete.
    Last edited by Felger; 03-05-2018 at 06:27 PM.
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

  6. #786
    Yandle in The Wind
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    DC/Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I'll bite, why is there a NU fan talking trash?

    Umile was a architect of many unpleasant evenings for PC hockey, but his teams were fun to watch and no ever said anything bad about the guy. He certainly earned a better ending to his career than this...
    In more ways than one, he architected this ending.

  7. #787
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    4,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Felger View Post
    I have no doubt there will be a season/career wrapup sooner rather than later. That is not what I was talking about. My point was that UNH-Maine is supposed to be this epic rivalry, its in the playoffs, and oh by the way, its the end of Dick Umile's career. And no local outlet could be bothered to cover it. Just symbolizes the increasing irrelevance of the program. Sad.

    Not that it matters, but I could have cared less who covered the game. The only thing important to me are the quotes. In reality, the increasing availability of access to the post game press conferences are making the jobs of the sportswriters obsolete.
    Agree would have liked post game comments as well; and wonder if there will be a presser of sorts like there have been throughout the season. Those I have accessed via social media like twitter then it has shown up maybe the next day maybe in the paper. You'd think they'd have covered it like they did the Dartmouth tournament weekend, but, maybe that was because it was 2 NH schools playing.
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-05-2018 at 06:55 PM.

  8. #788
    2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    2,315

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    ...First, the NCAA tournament started in 1948, 70 years ago. At that time UNH was not eligible because, not only were they not Division 1, but they didn't even have a rink. Snively opened in 1965 and two years later UNH became a Division 1 school.
    The NCAA did not have Division I,II or III classification until 1973 and all teams were eligible for the NCAA Ice Hockey Tournament. The ECAC was formed in 1961 to determine one of the 2 eastern teams to go to the NCAA Tournament and for the first three seasons all teams were together. However, starting in 1964 the ECAC split the teams into DI and DII, with only the DI teams eligible to complete in the DI tournament and in effect to be able to be selected for the NCAA Tournament. New Hampshire originally joined DII, but after two years petitioned to joined DI for the 1967-68 season, but was promoted immediately, i.e., with the 1966-67 season. So, New Hampshire was eligible for the NCAA Tournament for all but 2 seasons since the tournament started.

    Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

    Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

  9. #789
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,290

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Serious question - does Coach Umile even plan to attend the season-ending banquet?

    If ever there was a situation where his presence could detract from attention otherwise to be focused on the graduating players and his hand-picked successor ... it could be the case here? IF he were to show up in person, you'd think it's almost unavoidable that a significant portion of the proceedings would be dedicated to the outgoing 28 yr. head coach, no? But he's had "his" weekend already (arguably much more), so maybe the banquet would be a good setting to finally allow Coach Souza to have the limelight all to himself for the first time, with his team?

    It's one of the reasons why I was curious earlier what Coach said after the season finale on Saturday night.

    I honestly don't begrudge Coach Umile his final event in charge, but this may be the one time over the last several years where Coach's decision to basically "mail it in" might be exactly the right thing to do?
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  10. #790
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    5,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Serious question - does Coach Umile even plan to attend the season-ending banquet?

    If ever there was a situation where his presence could detract from attention otherwise to be focused on the graduating players and his hand-picked successor ... it could be the case here? IF he were to show up in person, you'd think it's almost unavoidable that a significant portion of the proceedings would be dedicated to the outgoing 28 yr. head coach, no? But he's had "his" weekend already (arguably much more), so maybe the banquet would be a good setting to finally allow Coach Souza to have the limelight all to himself for the first time, with his team?

    It's one of the reasons why I was curious earlier what Coach said after the season finale on Saturday night.

    I honestly don't begrudge Coach Umile his final event in charge, but this may be the one time over the last several years where Coach's decision to basically "mail it in" might be exactly the right thing to do?
    When is this event? And, when is the redux at Libby's? :-)

  11. #791
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    4,441

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Serious question - does Coach Umile even plan to attend the season-ending banquet?

    If ever there was a situation where his presence could detract from attention otherwise to be focused on the graduating players and his hand-picked successor ... it could be the case here? IF he were to show up in person, you'd think it's almost unavoidable that a significant portion of the proceedings would be dedicated to the outgoing 28 yr. head coach, no? But he's had "his" weekend already (arguably much more), so maybe the banquet would be a good setting to finally allow Coach Souza to have the limelight all to himself for the first time, with his team?

    It's one of the reasons why I was curious earlier what Coach said after the season finale on Saturday night.

    I honestly don't begrudge Coach Umile his final event in charge, but this may be the one time over the last several years where Coach's decision to basically "mail it in" might be exactly the right thing to do?
    Can't imagine that he would not attend; at the banquet the HC sits at the head table with his Seniors and listens as each one gives his goodbye speech. The event's focus is entirely on them; videos of each player, awards, and the naming of the Captain (s) for the coming season. Most likely there will be references to his leaving, and, he has given a short speech about the season in the ones that I have attended. The night is supposed to be about the outgoing Seniors, I'd be surprised if a lot of time is spent otherwise...?
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-05-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    Let's Go 'Cats!

  12. #792
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    4,441

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    When is this event? And, when is the redux at Libby's? :-)
    Normally the 3rd Sat in April. We should plan to meet before the event I'd be down for that...
    Let's Go 'Cats!

  13. #793
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Lynn, MA, USA
    Posts
    2,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    The NCAA did not have Division I,II or III classification until 1973 and all teams were eligible for the NCAA Ice Hockey Tournament. The ECAC was formed in 1961 to determine one of the 2 eastern teams to go to the NCAA Tournament and for the first three seasons all teams were together. However, starting in 1964 the ECAC split the teams into DI and DII, with only the DI teams eligible to complete in the DI tournament and in effect to be able to be selected for the NCAA Tournament. New Hampshire originally joined DII, but after two years petitioned to joined DI for the 1967-68 season, but was promoted immediately, i.e., with the 1966-67 season. So, New Hampshire was eligible for the NCAA Tournament for all but 2 seasons since the tournament started.

    Sean
    Sean, havenít seen you post in quite awhile. Good to see you weighing in. Always felt that you were the preeminent college hockey historian. Your comment here is undoubtedly correct, but the larger point is that UNH was in no position to compete against any of the 1950s or 1960s hockey powers. No ice, no scholarships, no chance. Once they got serious though, it didnít take them long to get noticed. I remember them beating BU in 1969; the cognoscenti in Boston were stunned.

  14. #794
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,739

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    No? How so?
    Because it's false. Quick never played in the NAHL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  15. #795
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    5,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Because it's false. Quick never played in the NAHL.
    Thanks, Nick. But, it was such a good comparison otherwise. :-)

    So, who was the NAHL goalie not chosen?
    Last edited by Snively65; 03-06-2018 at 09:12 AM.

  16. #796
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,290

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Can't imagine that he would not attend; at the banquet the HC sits at the head table with his Seniors and listens as each one gives his goodbye speech. The event's focus is entirely on them; videos of each player, awards, and the naming of the Captain (s) for the coming season. Most likely there will be references to his leaving, and, he has given a short speech about the season in the ones that I have attended. The night is supposed to be about the outgoing Seniors, I'd be surprised if a lot of time is spent otherwise...?
    I'm not disputing how things have gone in past banquets - you would know, I wouldn't - but I think you would have to agree this time, it would be different. The circumstances being what they are, you're going to have an enormous "elephant in the room" sitting right there at the front table ... and while in past seasons, he was always going to be back next year, this time he's not. It just seems like it could be incredibly awkward. Everyone can have the best of intentions, and I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing. It is what it is ... isn't it?
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  17. #797
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    5,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    I'm not disputing how things have gone in past banquets - you would know, I wouldn't - but I think you would have to agree this time, it would be different. The circumstances being what they are, you're going to have an enormous "elephant in the room" sitting right there at the front table ... and while in past seasons, he was always going to be back next year, this time he's not. It just seems like it could be incredibly awkward. Everyone can have the best of intentions, and I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing. It is what it is ... isn't it?
    Maybe he can schedule a family commitment for that evening?

  18. #798
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    4,441

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    I'm not disputing how things have gone in past banquets - you would know, I wouldn't - but I think you would have to agree this time, it would be different. The circumstances being what they are, you're going to have an enormous "elephant in the room" sitting right there at the front table ... and while in past seasons, he was always going to be back next year, this time he's not. It just seems like it could be incredibly awkward. Everyone can have the best of intentions, and I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing. It is what it is ... isn't it?
    Yeah I didn't think you were disputing anything, just giving the basic run down of how a banquet normally goes and why the HC (current; he IS HC contractulally until July 1 so I was told but that's besides the point) would be attending. Sure, it's different. At the same time, I would bet that the people who attend that banquet do not view him as the 'elephant in the room', at least, most prob don't but I'm not privvy to all of their own opinions. If anything, it's just the opposite.

    Most that attend (that I know anyway) are fiercly loyal to him, and they would certainly expect him to be there doing what he normally has done. I'm sure tho, that yeah, this season it's different atmosphere; but somehow, just not thinking it's going to be 'odd' that the outgoing coach is there, doing what he normally has done in the past. His outgoing message would be different as there's no 'next year' as you brought up. Maybe bittersweet for some/many (?) attendees that I can say for a certainty. I'm hoping the Seniors get the usual spotlight! If I'm missing your point I apologize in advance.

    Anyway just my opinion and really I shouldn't speak for anyone; just observations of banquets past. What I'm most curious about is how the season will be addressed, if at all...because normally it comes up one way or the other. To me, that's the 'elephant' in the room and I really don't expect much commentary about it, if you want my honest opinion...
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-06-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    Let's Go 'Cats!

  19. #799
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    On the Contrary
    Posts
    769

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Yeah I didn't think you were disputing anything, just giving the basic run down of how a banquet normally goes and why the HC (current; he IS HC contractulally until July 1 so I was told but that's besides the point) would be attending. Sure, it's different. At the same time, I would bet that the people who attend that banquet do not view him as the 'elephant in the room', at least, most prob don't but I'm not privvy to all of their own opinions. If anything, it's just the opposite.

    Most that attend (that I know anyway) are fiercly loyal to him, and they would certainly expect him to be there doing what he normally has done. I'm sure tho, that yeah, this season it's different atmosphere; but somehow, just not thinking it's going to be 'odd' that the outgoing coach is there, doing what he normally has done in the past. His outgoing message would be different as there's no 'next year' as you brought up. Maybe bittersweet for some/many (?) attendees that I can say for a certainty. I'm hoping the Seniors get the usual spotlight! If I'm missing your point I apologize in advance.

    Anyway just my opinion and really I shouldn't speak for anyone; just observations of banquets past. What I'm most curious about is how the season will be addressed, if at all...because normally it comes up one way or the other. To me, that's the 'elephant' in the room and I really don't expect much commentary about it, if you want my honest opinion...
    Totally agree with this take.

    I've only been to a couple, but it is a pretty intimate setting. I know they call it a banquet, but its more like a gathering of friends and family. Honestly, I don't see any "elephant in the room" in this setting. FWIW, it used to be called the "breakup banquet" Its the last event of the season, and although they announce next year's captains (which I disagree with) its more about wrapping up the campaign that just ended than looking ahead. The head coach was part of that season. He should be there.
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

  20. #800
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    12,290

    Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

    Not that anyone asked (or cares), but this how I would do it if I were Coach Umile ...

    I'd show up an hour early, have a nice long pleasant chat with the coaching staff and other support staff, and make sure I was there to greet each and every guest as they arrived. Then after everyone sits down and enjoys their meal, arrange to be the first person called up to speak, which will be the first of your two standing ovations for the evening. Say everything to everybody that you need to say things to, then graciously call up Coach Souza and Coach Stewart to the dais (or whatever), give them your complete blessing for the future, thank your guests one final time, and turn the rest of the ceremonies over to your successor(s) and leave the room to your second (and final) standing ovation. Then take your family down to The Rosa for drinks and desserts afterwards. Classy exit for a guy who (if nothing else) was class personified over the last 30 years.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •