This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
    UNH can, and will likely finish the regular season in last place in Hockey East. Somehow, it just seems so fitting.

I somehow find 596 so very dissatisfying... 599 is better more Shakespearean.

AND they have us right where they want us. Loose out win two in the make believe round, the first in the next round, loose in overtime in game 2 and get blown off the ice in game 3... Just that moment of hope before the predictable implosion...

Sadly it won't end this way... Not with a bang but a whimper and a thud.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      Got it. Well, I hope the incoming regime turns things around.
      I am a Maine fan and can see this.

Ok I might be happy when Maine wins... But that is a little weird.

Comment

Ok count me in the minority. I place great blame in the coaching of these players. Yes the talent level is way, way, way down.

However they should run into wins in this crappy league more often. There is no system adjustment or coaching up going on. During time outs the coaches don't really talk to the players. There are no in game adjustments. I generally think too little is on the players... In this case there is not nearly enough on the coaches... Which is terrifying as Souza it would seem is a big part of the problem.

I would tell him sorry it isn't going to work out. UNH instead will go several more years of damage. I fear the institutional damage will be permanent and we have seen the glory years.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
          Ok count me in the minority. I place great blame in the coaching of these players. Yes the talent level is way, way, way down.

However they should run into wins in this crappy league more often. There is no system adjustment or coaching up going on. During time outs the coaches don't really talk to the players. There are no in game adjustments. I generally think too little is on the players... In this case there is not nearly enough on the coaches... Which is terrifying as Souza it would seem is a big part of the problem.

I would tell him sorry it isn't going to work out. UNH instead will go several more years of damage. I fear the institutional damage will be permanent and we have seen the glory years.
          When you see the same game being played over and over...you have to wonder what is going on. Like I said earlier even given the limitations of the roster there is no way they don't as you say "run into wins here and there". To coin a phrase "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then" doesn't even fit what's going on here!

I will say I was glad to see MS vigorously working with the team during a time out...

Ps I doubt I would get any support for this but I want that team who swept UML waaay back. They played two great games. Heady times.
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-16-2018, 11:51 PM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            When you see the same game being played over and over...you have to wonder what is going on. Like I said earlier even given the limitations of the roster there is no way they don't as you say "run into wins here and there".
            Well that was kind of what I was getting at and why I asked the question.

Comment

I would agree that the coaching of players has been poor and the lack of coaching adjustments is definitely a factor. Few, if any, players have shown noticeable improvement and a number have regressed. There have been no adjustments to game plans or special teams and very few towards personnel decisions...

But I took chickods question as to whether or not the players had checked out on the coaches/season. I don't believe that's the case. I think they're not good enough - though they certainly have not been helped by the coaches in terms of their development or being put in positions to succeed. Coaches' fault in this area too, IMO...

I also agree - best thing for the program would be to back out of the succession plan. It's not working and there's no indication Souza has what it takes to turn it around. My biggest fear is that he takes over and Scarano (who never fires anyone) allows Souza to be mediocre to worse for the remainder of the ADs career, while UNH hockey becomes UNH BBall and Souza is the program's Herrion. No accountability...

I wish the president would get involved and re-evaluate/hold accountable both AD and coach, honestly...
              Last edited by Dan; 02-16-2018, 11:13 PM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                I would agree that the coaching of players has been poor and the lack of coaching adjustments is definitely a factor. Few, if any, players have shown noticeable improvement and a number have regressed. There have been no adjustments to game plans or special teams and very few towards personnel decisions...

But I took chickods question as to whether or not the players had checked out on the coaches/season. I don't believe that's the case. I think they're not good enough - though they certainly have not been helped by the coaches in terms of their development or being put in positions to succeed. Coaches' fault in this area too, IMO...

I also agree - best thing for the program would be to back out of the succession plan. It's not working and there's no indication Souza has what it takes to turn it around. My biggest fear is that he takes over and Scarano (who never fires anyone) allows Souza to be mediocre to worse for the remainder of the ADs career, while UNH hockey becomes UNH BBall and Souza is the program's Herrion. No accountability...

I wish the president would get involved and re-evaluate/hold accountable both AD and coach, honestly...
                It will be a cold day in you know where when UNH admits they need to re-evaluate....and as I have said I truly hope MS can turn this around...Even in my short tenure as a fan that (your bball comparison) would be beyond a tradgedy that I could not fathom...and may I be more specific? An outrage.
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-16-2018, 11:19 PM.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  But I took chickods question as to whether or not the players had checked out on the coaches/season. I don't believe that's the case. I think they're not good enough - though they certainly have not been helped by the coaches in terms of their development or being put in positions to succeed.
                  That's a fair assessment. I was just wondering if someone had "inside" knowledge that (lack of talent notwithstanding, because they're not mutually exclusive) in addition there was something going on which was prompting the players to mail it in. I wasn't accusing them of "not trying." It can be difficult (no matter how much one tries to convince oneself) to give 100% in a hopeless situation, even if one thinks they are. So if the coaches were creating some atmosphere that was not conducive to optimum effort, that's all I was asking/speculating. If you say they are trying as hard as they can, I will take your word for it.

The whole situation is really a shame and I sincerely hope they get it fixed, but someone has to take charge and own it.

Comment

Cash cows that go unfed become dead cows...

The story of the UNH athletic department.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      That's a fair assessment. I was just wondering if someone had "inside" knowledge that (lack of talent notwithstanding, because they're not mutually exclusive) in addition there was something going on which was prompting the players to mail it in. I wasn't accusing them of "not trying." It can be difficult (no matter how much one tries to convince oneself) to give 100% in a hopeless situation, even if one thinks they are. So if the coaches were creating some atmosphere that was not conducive to optimum effort, that's all I was asking/speculating. If you say they are trying as hard as they can, I will take your word for it.

The whole situation is really a shame and I sincerely hope they get it fixed, but someone has to take charge and own it.
                      If you told me that they were dismayed and coming to the rink doubting their ability to win or that they were unhappy and not enjoying hockey right now and/or more easily distracted due to the all the losing - their play suffering as a result Id believe you. But that's all a result of not being better or being coached better and I don't see a lack of hustle or any outward bad attitudes. So I'd still stick to talent (recruiting) and coaching as the main culprits...
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Sad for me as Maine fan. Pick chins up and don't get down on idiot BC and BU fans comentary. We are both picking things up now. Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post

The only "inside" knowledge is from cues we see. Max Gilson, who should be leading the rebuilding and have bought in to the new direction, had his brother commit elsewhere.
                          Jason Miller, one of Souza's first recruits, and another of the new vanguard, quit after a semester.
                          Drew Commesso, the first young star recruited by Souza watched for a half year and Decommitted.

So, it's not only the on ice product screams of unhappiness.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            The only "inside" knowledge is from cues we see. Max Gilson, who should be leading the rebuilding and have bought in to the new direction, had his brother commit elsewhere.
                            Jason Miller, one of Souza's first recruits, and another of the new vanguard, quit after a semester.
                            Drew Commesso, the first young star recruited by Souza watched for a half year and Decommitted.

So, it's not only the on ice product screams of unhappiness.
                            If you had any backbone as a Unh fan, why would you have that footer?

Comment

I am apparently in the minority also, as I agree about the horrible coaching, and have written such for several threads/years now. And, I do not see the coaching getting any better anytime soon, especially watching the idiotic 5-3 PP recently, on those rare occasions. Sure, the recruiting has been terrible, but the rosters are not that much worse than about half the teams in the HEA. The 11 one-goal losses and seven ties are testimony to that. Simply horrendous in-game coaching that goes way back, including the debacle of a loss to RIT at the Albany regional in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                I am apparently in the minority also, as I agree about the horrible coaching, and have written such for several threads/years now. And, I do not see the coaching getting any better anytime soon, especially watching the idiotic 5-3 PP recently, on those rare occasions. Sure, the recruiting has been terrible, but the rosters are not that much worse than about half the teams in the HEA. The 11 one-goal losses and seven ties are testimony to that. Simply horrendous in-game coaching that goes way back, including the debacle of a loss to RIT at the Albany regional in 2010.
                                You are in a transition.

Comment

Working...
                                X