X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

https://twitter.com/UNHInsider/statu...59070911746054
    http://unhwildcats.com/images/2018/3...a_IMG_3049.jpg

"But I'm really excited that Mike Souza is taking over. I told the team yesterday he's like one of my own. He knows all about UNH. He'll do a terrific job."
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-07-2018, 08:38 AM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Dead Wings did not have an answer for the Lil' Ball of Hate.
      Whether it's the last couple of seasons of UNH or DRW Hockey ... bad teams WILL find a way to lose close games.

Not so coincidentally, both teams suffer from weak defenses with too many low-skill and/or immobile skaters.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        https://twitter.com/UNHInsider/statu...59070911746054
        http://unhwildcats.com/images/2018/3...a_IMG_3049.jpg

"But I'm really excited that Mike Souza is taking over. I told the team yesterday he's like one of my own. He knows all about UNH. He'll do a terrific job."
        I see 3 more booklets on the table. Does Souza have to read 'em and pass a test to officially be appointed HC?

Comment

Can we have the press conference? If he has a contract, the position should be his already, not waiting for more time to pass. My post on Feb 19
          So, how does UNH roll out the Souza era?
          hope this year they have the roll-out ready, with Souza already preparing his message to the public about 1) how unacceptable the past years have been, 2) that changes will be made to finally imprint himself on the program, including setting specific goals for players because they are capable of so much more, and 3) that he can't yet announce the coaching staff, because some candidates are under contract with other teams, but that he recognizes the needs of the program, both on the ice and in recruiting, that they need a mix of PROVEN experience to assure recruits that they will get good on ice coaching, but also that they need to be aggressive in selling the program to recruits.

Dick Umile should not be at the announcement. He's had his goodbye.

This is a chance to stop looking backward, and start looking foward. No more family, history, or how good the school was for you. This is about results on the ice, and even though we expect them to avail themselves of academic opportuntiies and being good character kids, that is implied. Its the need for on-ice skills that this press conference is about.

Souza must not mention Dick Umile at all in the message, other than a brief thank him for the opportunity and all he's done, but from here on, he is not looking backward. Nobody wants to talk about the past, which is irrelevant to recruits, other than to acknowledge that changes are needed, and that there are lots of opportunities for aggressive recruiting. The message must all be about the future, and CHANGES from the past, not an attempt to fawn over it. The message -- whether true or not -- is that Mike couldn't implement all he wanted, but that he now has full control, and that all aspects of the program will be analyzed over the summer, from recruiting, coaching and fan interaction. It's also not wrong to recognize that there were missteps, from which you have learned, just as there have been missteps from the players from which he expects growth. There is now urgency, because he is accountable. That includes getting the best assistant coaches, regardless of whether they are UNH alums, and UNH is willing to pay competitive salary to get the best assistants. There are a few building blocks who provide a good base, but lots of moving parts and opportunities for Souza to bring in his guys.
          I do disagree about the banquet, which is a look back at the season, so Umile should of course be there. But clear out the HC office now, move Umile down the hallway to an emeritus office, and stop having him be the face of UNH hockey.
          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-07-2018, 09:19 AM.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

I cannot imagine attending one of these banquets the past few years (sorry to be looking backwards), as they must have been extremely depressing and frustrating, despite the attempts at positive spin.

Comment

This was pretty much the presser, without the talk of MS being named HC etc. (And contractually I don't know/am not sure/ if they can actually give him that title until after DU's contact expires? I dunnno. I'm not really worried about that fact; it's obvious who's 'in charge'...When I retire I am under contract until July 1...he's no different? Both of these articles pretty much say the same...

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...s-Farewell.php

...And this from the Concord Monitor. No date given for the 'turn over'...'soon'. I can't find the transcript for the presser. It's still on twitter:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/umile-...30718-16033553
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-07-2018, 09:51 AM.
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

March 14th presser to announce Souza as head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  I cannot imagine attending one of these banquets the past few years (sorry to be looking backwards), as they must have been extremely depressing and frustrating, despite the attempts at positive spin.
                  I went to just about every banquet since the first one that was open to the public, in 1979, at the Dover Elks, until about five or six years ago. There was always a certain sameness to each one. Opening remarks by the host (Bob Norton way back in the day, then Dick Osborne, then Pete Webster), a few remarks from the coach, some highlights of the season (that will be interesting this year), then dinner. Then the awards, then the seniors gave their speeches. Coach would say a few more words, then they would announce the captains for the next year. I can tell you that, in many a year, the crowd for the banquet was quite large. I particularly remember the 1999 banquet (as I am sure Mike Souza does) when the banquet room at the Sheraton Portsmouth was overflowing. This was, of course, after the Anaheim FF when the program had reached its first peak. I always felt that once it moved to the Whit, the expanse of the building swallowed up what at times could be the large crowd. I've heard that it has been back at Huddleston now for a few years. However, like so many, I have lost interest in it. Really, there is nothing to celebrate so why go?

As for this year's edition, there is no doubt in my mind that Dick Umile should and will be there. The essence of his character as a coach is the relationships that he builds with his players over the four years they are in Durham. It is no secret that he relishes the two way street loyalty and bond that he has with his players. Attending the weddings of his former players was always a big thing for him. So, yes, he will be there. It will be bittersweet because his career is ending, and is ending on a sour note. But it is also bittersweet because he knows that he will never have those coach/player relationships again. People can pooh pooh this take of Umile all they want, but it is who he is. Take it or leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                    March 14th presser to announce Souza as head coach.
                    On my 70th birthday! Twenty years ago, on my 50th birthday, UNH lost at home in the HE quarters to Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      Take it or leave it.
                      Love it.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

One week from today, we'll see if Souza follows 'Watcher's script for the roll-out (below).

So, how does UNH roll out the Souza era?
                        hope this year they have the roll-out ready, with Souza already preparing his message to the public about 1) how unacceptable the past years have been, 2) that changes will be made to finally imprint himself on the program, including setting specific goals for players because they are capable of so much more, and 3) that he can't yet announce the coaching staff, because some candidates are under contract with other teams, but that he recognizes the needs of the program, both on the ice and in recruiting, that they need a mix of PROVEN experience to assure recruits that they will get good on ice coaching, but also that they need to be aggressive in selling the program to recruits.

Dick Umile should not be at the announcement. He's had his goodbye.

This is a chance to stop looking backward, and start looking foward. No more family, history, or how good the school was for you. This is about results on the ice, and even though we expect them to avail themselves of academic opportuntiies and being good character kids, that is implied. Its the need for on-ice skills that this press conference is about.

Souza must not mention Dick Umile at all in the message, other than a brief thank him for the opportunity and all he's done, but from here on, he is not looking backward. Nobody wants to talk about the past, which is irrelevant to recruits, other than to acknowledge that changes are needed, and that there are lots of opportunities for aggressive recruiting. The message must all be about the future, and CHANGES from the past, not an attempt to fawn over it. The message -- whether true or not -- is that Mike couldn't implement all he wanted, but that he now has full control, and that all aspects of the program will be analyzed over the summer, from recruiting, coaching and fan interaction. It's also not wrong to recognize that there were missteps, from which you have learned, just as there have been missteps from the players from which he expects growth. There is now urgency, because he is accountable. That includes getting the best assistant coaches, regardless of whether they are UNH alums, and UNH is willing to pay competitive salary to get the best assistants. There are a few building blocks who provide a good base, but lots of moving parts and opportunities for Souza to bring in his guys.

(1) No way he's not going to mention Coach Umile. He has the job solely due to his predecessor;
                        (2) I'll be surprised if he dumps on this year's team or its results. He owns a good part of that too;
                        (3) He won't be making any pronouncements about his hands being tied the last 3 years, even if true;
                        (4) Fully expect to see Coach Stewart there IF he's indeed returning;
                        (5) I don't expect any announcement (or even any mention) of the other incoming assistant issue;
                        (6) Coach Umile won't attend. As he said in concluding his presser, "he doesn't need me" (or words to that effect).

I think 'Watcher's point is that he might not say a lot of these things, but his message must be clear and leave no doubt that what has happened the last few seasons will indeed CHANGE. The direction of the program for far too long has been downwards, even when it's been slow and subtle. The last few seasons, it's become a death spiral. Turning things around from that starting point is going to take a lot more than a great personality and institutional knowledge of all things UNH. It's going to be a 24/7/365 proposition for a few years at least for Souza, and if he doesn't see it that way, then he's kidding himself if he thinks less will suffice in his new job.

Good luck, Coach Souza. JMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          Love it.
                          Not a choice; it was "take it or leave it." :-)

Comment

Good luck with that, Chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              One week from today, we'll see if Souza follows 'Watcher's script for the roll-out (below).

Souza must not mention Dick Umile at all in the message, other than a brief thank him for the opportunity and all he's done, but from here on, he is not looking backward. Nobody wants to talk about the past, which is irrelevant to recruits, other than to acknowledge that changes are needed, and that there are lots of opportunities for aggressive recruiting. The message must all be about the future, and CHANGES from the past, not an attempt to fawn over it. The message -- whether true or not -- is that Mike couldn't implement all he wanted, but that he now has full control, and that all aspects of the program will be analyzed over the summer, from recruiting, coaching and fan interaction. It's also not wrong to recognize that there were missteps, from which you have learned, just as there have been missteps from the players from which he expects growth. There is now urgency, because he is accountable. That includes getting the best assistant coaches, regardless of whether they are UNH alums, and UNH is willing to pay competitive salary to get the best assistants. There are a few building blocks who provide a good base, but lots of moving parts and opportunities for Souza to bring in his guys. [/I]
                              Give me a break, who really gives a flying s***t what Souza says in his presser? We all know and agree the past few seasons have been a total train wreck and are unacceptable, do we need him to express that, to admit to missteps? Will that somehow make us believe that everything in the world of UNH Hockey is now all right, no more worries? Don't acknowledge Dick, really? He must not mention the coach who was a bounce of the puck away from winning a national title, the man who was vital in the building of the Whittemore Center, the guy who is the most successful coach in UNH hockey history, just ignore that?

Personally, I couldn't care less about what Souza says during this announcement. Results are what matter, and that will take more than a five minute press conference to see where we stand.
                              GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                                Give me a break, who really gives a flying s***t what Souza says in his presser? We all know and agree the past few seasons have been a total train wreck and are unacceptable, do we need him to express that, to admit to missteps? Will that somehow make us believe that everything in the world of UNH Hockey is now all right, no more worries? Don't acknowledge Dick, really? He must not mention the coach who was a bounce of the puck away from winning a national title, the man who was vital in the building of the Whittemore Center, the guy who is the most successful coach in UNH hockey history, just ignore that?

Personally, I couldn't care less about what Souza says during this announcement. Results are what matter, and that will take more than a five minute press conference to see where we stand.
                                A bounce and a Vanek away from winning two national titles.

Comment

Working...
                                X